Opening the Board (Part 1)
188 0 7
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Long ago when the world was young a gardener planted the seed for a tree. The tree struggled to grow because the ground lacked the proper nutrients to nourish it. The gardener looked to their 6 children and stated three rules about the tree.

*System Notification*

Rules of the Garden

1.You and your children must never pick the fruit from the tree.

2.You must never cut down this tree.

3.You must never plant another seed from this tree in the garden.

With the three rules stated, the gardener plunged a branch through their heart and used themself to nourish the tree. This sacrifice brought power into this world and the tree began to grow. The 6 children peacefully watched over the gardener's garden for a time. This changed when the eldest child found one of the fruits of the Tree of the Garden. This was the first time since the gardener nourished the tree that it bared fruit. The eldest child bit the fruit and something in him changed and from him sprouted new life. This child, now turned lord became the father of the Elves. He took dominion over the southernmost land of the Garden. Longing to be like the eldest child the rest of the children waited patiently for thousands of years for their chance to each get a fruit. Before everyone could eat a fruit the youngest of the children broke the first rule by plucking a fruit from the tree in secret. He however did not eat the fruit but instead attempted to grow another tree. This event almost plunged the Garden into darkness. The other siblings banded together to stop their young brother and seal away both him and the wicked tree. They understood the power that the Garden had to offer and realized that it must never happen like this again. They sealed off the gardener's Garden from the world outside and left behind the children of the 6th sibling. The children of the sixth would later be known as humans.

The legends of the Garden were recorded in a book by the children of the sixth. They were no longer of the Garden and as such their power faded. With the fading of the power and the death of their elders, the world moved on as you know it. There was however one village secluded on a coast that held onto the secrets of the Garden. They created a book and kept artifacts to hold their power and retain their knowledge. The title of the book is the Garden of the 5 Lords. They maintained this tradition of keeping the wisdom of the Garden until they were struck by tragedy. When a monsoon struck it left only one survivor, he recognized that he had one mission. The world was not allowed to forget about the Garden. The last disciple of the book Went on a journey to find someone worthy to pass the legend onto. He met the first in a long line of Sniders. This fateful meeting of this family led to them taking up the mantle after the disciple passed. The effects of time ensured that the book itself was lost, and only knowledge of the book remained.

Ever since the book was lost the Snider Family was searching for it. After many generations failing to find the book, a clue finally presented itself. This clue brought the family to North America. Here they gave birth to a new Snider family member. The family spent the next 16 years trying to figure out more details from the clue. It is said that the father went mad and murdered his wife, and afterward fled before he could be apprehended. This left the young Snider alone searching for what has plagued his family for many years.

This point brings us to the opening move in this little game of chess. Five months after his parents were gone from his life X Snider had finally tracked down another clue about the whereabouts of this book. The clue leads him to the library of a university in the southern part of America.

"This can't be it.." the young man said as he scratched his head. His dark brown hair bouncing from his aggressive scratches. "They spent their entire lives looking for this damn book only for it to be in a library of some random college."

He reaches forward to pull the book off the bookcase. The spine read 'The Garden of the Five Lords'. He pulls it from the shelf and bounds towards one of the nearby tables in intense focus.

Without looking up from the book X almost walks directly into a couple.

"Hey dude, watch where you're going. You almost walked into my girlfriend." A tawny brown-skinned man with short twisted hair just pulled a young lady out of the way.

"Sorry about that," X said as he continued to run off to find a quiet place to read his book.

"Kids these days," the young lady expressed as her eyes followed X towards the table he was going to.

As he was walking off the couple walked up to an athletic-looking man with short blond hair.

"Zack I am glad you finally stopped being a lovebird and came to study for this anatomy exam we have on Friday. Oh and I love your new hairstyle Elana. The red really suits you." The athletic man pulled out a book titled The Joys of Anatomy.

"Darius, are you hitting on my girlfriend right in front of me?" Zack asked while he was taking off his backpack. The look on his face was serious and aggressive.

Darius lets out a solid laugh before Zack and Elana joined him. "Now we all know that I am not a cheater. Bae would kill me if I ever seriously look at someone else. Besides, I have seen how you treat that princess over there, I can't even compete."

Elana's flushed enough to see her cheeks turn red even through her dark umber skin. She brushed one of her long strands of curly hair out of the way. "Thank you, Darius, now you two get to studying. I have to go and meet up with Adriana downstairs so she can fix my tablet." She kisses Zack on the lips. "Good luck babe." With that, she walks to the stairs.

"So much PDA." Darius chuckled while opening his textbook to the chapter they were studying.

"You jealous?" Zack taunts Darius with a kissy face.

"How about we just try and ace this test, maybe we can double date afterwards as a reward for passing this class. This teacher has been a pain in our asses." Darius says this as he scribbles things in a binder.

"I like that idea you and Em can pick the place," Zack says as he finally opens his book.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"There you are Adriana, sorry if I was holding you up. Thanks for answering my repair request on HeadSpace." Elana sat down next to the young lady.

"No problemo amiga. I love to flex my skills and make money at the same time." Adriana pulls out a bag of tools.

Elana pulls out her tablet and places it on the table. As she does this she sees the kid from earlier sitting at a table by himself. "I will be right back, I want to check something out," Elana says as she gets up and goes over to where he was sitting.

7