The True Beginning (Part 13)
35 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

(Come join the discord! Let's make a worthy community! https://discord.gg/kfZB4G4kdb)

 

The heavy wall of darkness was broken by a spattering of torches in the treeline below. To the count, there were 20 lights flickering menacingly below the camp. An orchestra of snarls and grunts could be heard. Goblin was truly a gross language to hear. The goblin army's must could be smelled from the top of the hill.

Everyone in camp was at their battle stations. The Patrol team was split into two groups, each lead by one of the leaders. One would cover the entrance to the encampment, the other would organize to fight any goblin that was able to make it into the camp. They numbered 20 in total, most have only held a weapon in training. Thankfully some were able to get a bit of experience hunting some of the deer-like creatures. They were armed with an array of spears, sharpened rocks, and clubs. From what they have seen they were not much better armed than the goblins they have met in the past.

"So let's go over this plan one more time so I can know how we got roped into this," Norman asked.

"We are going to sneak over the rear wall and attack from around after the goblins attack the main camp. Our signal is when the main team pulls back into the wall. From there we push the enemy in and flank them. This is what the professor calls a pinwheel tactic." X glanced across his party. If anyone was able to pull this off it would be them.

"No slip-ups guys. We have to stay on top of it. I know I don't need to tell you this, but this is life and death. Just because we have some video game attributes doesn't mean we get do-overs." Elana put a hand in the center of their huddle. "We need a party name."

"How about Earth squad," Darius said, including his hand.

"The hope to return home is a good one in my opinion," Zack said placing his hand in the stack.

"Those are all lame, and fitting for trash like you." Norman crossed his arms.

"I like the viajero," Adriana said topping the pile with her hand.

"What does that even mean," Norman asked aggressively.

"Travelers in Spanish," She replied.

"I actually like that title. Let's go with the Travelers," X said adding his hand into the pile.

"Better than what the other trash came up with." Norman places his hand in the stack.

"Travelers on 3, 1..., 2....., 3...." The party pushes down on the stack and throws their hands up into the air. "Travelers!"

*System Alert*

Party Name Selected

The morale of the team was raised, and they felt ready for anything.

Suddenly the sound of the war horn once again intruded the camp, this time being the loudest. The yells of the goblin army below could be heard as they advanced on the camp's open main gate. The battle was about to begin.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Alright, boys and girls. It is time to get your hands dirty. Remember what you have learned over the last few days. We will not become worm food today." A well-built redhead was standing in front of the open gate. "No casualties, we only have to buy time for the flanking team to get into position. Also if we don't hold it together then nobody will see tomorrow." He took a fighting stance and peered at the goblins charging his position. "Spears up!" He stepped back into the line of people and raised his spear.

A wave of goblins crashed into the walls and some filed into the opening to meet spear tips. The spearmen thrust their spears forward and annihilate the first few unlucky goblins to enter their range. So far the plan was working. The spearmen got into a rhythm. Thrust, shove, retrieve, step back. They were to do this 6 times as a unit until they were able to get to the predetermined line.

Things were looking good on the front line. Even though the goblins were not able to pierce through the line of spear fighters their numbers were not dwindling. Suddenly from one of the side walls scraping noises could be heard near the top. A goblin quickly scurried over the wall.

"Team two now is your time to shine. They have started to scale the walls. Break off into teams of two and take them out!" Layla led the charge and bashed the first goblin over the head with her staff killing it before it could recover from falling off the top of the wall.

Now there were several small skirmishes within the camp where a goblin or two were climbing over the wall only to be quickly defeated by the second group of patrol team members. This was the perfect time for the party to push out from the back wall and make their way into position.

"I will scout ahead with my stealth skill," Elana said once everyone was on the other side of the wall.

X nodded his approval. "Be careful."

Without a sound, she disappeared. The rest of the party sat tight and waited for her signal.

Elana pressed forward until she was able to see the front gate from a safe distance away. There were 15-20 goblins making their way up the hillside in unison. They were being led by a much larger goblin. This goblin was roughly human height with pale bluish skin and much better-looking equipment. 'I wonder what will happen if I take him out.' She pulls out her bow and moves a bit closer. With a deep breath, she knocks an arrow and releases it on the exhale.

The act of attacking drops her stealth but the makeshift arrow lodges itself deep into the creature's eye causing it to let out an angry roar as it charges towards her.

"Oh shit!" She starts running towards the back wall where her party was and tries to enter stealth again.

*System Alert*

Skill cooldown 10 seconds.

'Now you tell me there is a cooldown!' She jumps over a confused goblin putting it in the way of her and the large goblin that was chasing her.

The enraged larger goblin hits the smaller goblin that was in its way with its club and sends it flying over the camp wall. This goblin was dead long before it hit the ground.

'Not to self, don't get hit.' She looks back and sees that it is only the large goblin that is chasing her. The rest seemed to continue marching up to the front of the wall. She also noticed that it was gaining on her fast. The large goblin was almost within its club's reach of Elana.

An aggressive gunt could be heard as the goblin hoisted its club over its shoulder, and then another as the club goes sailing towards Elana's back.


 


Writer's Notes 

Rage against the dying of the light! Will the humans win the fight? Stick around and see you might ^.^

Stay Worthy Readers!

 

2