Into the Woods (Part 25)
13 1 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Come join the discord! Let's make a worthy community! https://discord.gg/kfZB4G4kdb


 

"Did you just say elf?" Mike questioned. "And how do you know it is an elf?"

"Did you not feel it connect with you?" Zack said, questioning his question. "They communicate through sharing pulses of mana with thoughts and feelings."

"You trust something that has the ability to talk directly to your brain?" Norman asked. "That sounds like the setup for several bad SciFi flicks."

"I do. I think it would be a good way to learn more about this world if we take the time to do this." Zack pulled the downed elf over his shoulder. To his surprise, it was heavier than its slender build led him to believe. "Norman, I need a hand."

Norman was apprehensive towards the unknown but when he saw the serious look in Zack's eye he knew it was time to step up. He kneeled down and lifted the injured elf's arm pulling it over his shoulder. He and Zack both had an arm now. "Did this guy eat a bag of rocks for breakfast or something? He is a lot heavier than he looks." Norman asked as they navigated back to the exit hole.

Once they were back above ground Zack could feel the relief of both of the elves in his mind. They were glad to be back above ground.

"Now that we aren't in their nest anymore, where are we supposed to go?" Mike asked. "Should we take them back to our camp since we don't know the lay of the land?"

Zack felt the uninjured elf's mind once again. The location of their village was put directly into his mind. "I know the way. It would be about an hour's walk Northwest of here."

"That would put us going back to camp southwest, and almost in the dark. Are you sure this is a good idea?" Mike asked once more.

"I can't say for sure that any of this trip was a good idea, however, I can say that I will see this patient back to safety," Zack said, realizing the gravity of the situation. For all, he knew they could be walking into a village full of cannibals. Although one cannot lie with their mind, one can hide parts of the story or concept.

"If things turn out bad we will just fight our way out and get back to the camp," Norman said with confidence brimming.

"I need to drink a cup of whatever the hell you drink in the morning. You think you are way too bulletproof, and that is kinda dangerous in a setting like this." Mike said.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As X was walking across the central part of camp he saw the professor talking to a few of the students. He walked towards the conversation and waited patiently until it was over so that he could chat with Professor Von.

"Ah, two meetings in one day young X. To what do I owe this honor?" The professor teased.

"I was wondering if you were available for a chess rematch?" X wanted to pick the professor's brain, and he found that the best way to do that was to play chess with him.

"I see. Well if you are down to get another loss under your belt I can make the time for it." The professor chuckled. "I would also like to show you the new trick I have started to develop."

"New trick you say? I am dying to see it." X said as they walked back towards the meeting structure.

The meeting structure was a crude thatch space with three walls and an angled tarp to keep the sun out. This is where the professor and the rest of the camp leaders meet to discuss logistics. He also takes the time to play a few games of chess here to pass the time.

As they prepared the board the professor's hand pulsed with mana. One of the pieces floated through the air into its position on the board.

"That is a really awesome parlor trick professor, but I am afraid it won't save you from my revenge. You aren't beating me two times in a row!" X said as he wagged his fist in the air.

"Is that so," the professor said as they set the last few pieces on the board. "Then make your first move."

With that X opened the board by moving his knight first. His mission was to trap his king behind a wall of pawns before the professor could get out any of his big pieces.

As the game progressed, the professor and X chatted about all of the things going on in camp.

"With the improvements to the Patrol Team, you made with your system, we have planned to start classes to teach how to manipulate mana. Adriana taught me the basics today, and I will lead that class in order to free her up for your mission." The professor moves a pawn to take one of X's pieces.

"I would call that an even trade professor," X said as he slid his rook down the board to put the professor's king in check. "I am glad that you are getting the hang of using mana. It seems like everyone's understanding of it is different."

"That different understanding is exactly what allows people to do different things with it. That is the reason I have a form of pseudo telekinesis and Adriana can start fires." The professor moved his king out of check.

"That makes a lot of sense. I just thought it was because of her vibrant personality." X moved his rook another time in an attempt to put the professor's king back into check.

"You focus far too much on using one piece at a time X. You must see the board as a whole. When you do that, then you can see I have been leading you into a trap this entire time." The professor moves his pawn into position. "Check."

X was shocked. He thought he was in control of the game this entire time. Little did he know, he was following a step behind the professor's strategy since he moved his knight the first time. X moved his last pawn into the line of fire to buy himself another turn.

"An expected play. Checkmate." The professor took that pawn with his bishop that was protected by his rook. X's king was locked down on multiple sides preventing it from moving to safety.

X was finally able to see it. When the professor played he managed to take in the entire board. He watched what moves X could make with the way the board was set up in the moment and made moves that constantly changed that set up in his favor. "Well played professor. I learned a lot from this match."

"Glad I could still teach aspiring young minds," The professor said.

"Professor?" X began to ask a question.

"What's on your mind?" The professor responded.

"When the Guild entered level 1 after filling up all of the membership slots, it offered a few major job positions. I was wondering if you would like a position." X asked with hopes high.

"Would it mean more duties tacked on to what I already have to do within the camp?" he asked.

"Actually, the job seems to align with what you already do. Some of the perks might be useful to you as well. You would be the Keeper. Your job would be recording data related to managing the guild which is the camp area currently. Any tasks that you are involved in the planning of has a higher chance to succeed." X explained.

"Well since it is already what I do, I may as well reap the benefits of the position." The professor said accepting X's offer.

"Thank you, professor. Now I only have one position left to fill, and I think I know who I want to do it." X said as he stood up. "Thanks again for the game, next time I will win for sure!"

X left the meeting structure and made his way towards the training area. This is where he believed he would find Layla.


 

Stay Worthy Readers!

2