[Interviews with BL Authors] : crimson_carnation
433 22 37
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

 

 

✿✿✿

 

The third installment of our BL author Interviews has come, and like with Owl's Interview last time, this one is to commemorate and appreciate the book's finale of our today's author!

Your accomplishments are worth of celebrations, yay!! 

All comments and further questions to the authors are welcome because while we did try to ask the questions we felt the readers might want to know most, we probably missed something. So that's where you come in—the actual Readers of BL on ScribbleHub!

Please do not be shy, and if you happen to be, you can send us questions by PMs and we will ask them discreetly in the comment section ourselves \(^v^)/.

 

 

Today, the author in the spotlight is lovely crimson_carnation who has just recently ended her main story in Waylaid on Scribbly! The extras and epilogues will come out after she rests at bit, but join in and read her story! You can still catch an ongoing train to see all the extras being released!

You probably know crimson_carnation from the BL ranking list where her novel, Heavenly Soul, sits at the first spot for the longest BL story which in itself is such an impressive achievement! Check it out because it is also one of the top-ranked BL stories on the site ^^.

Also, she is the author of several short BL stories and the winner of Yuri Garden Competition in 2019 with her short story Perfect Day, which is of course not related to BL in any way, but still—Yuri Garden is our BL_Palace's sister and inspiration for creating this account and community in the first place, so any interactions between us are super exciting and wholesome!

 

 

 

 

 

 

BLBL Interviews

#3

crimson_carnation

 

 

 

How did you get into writing BL?

A. I started with the intention of writing a story for myself that included some of my favorite concepts and elements, along with a world vast enough for me to explore freely with my imagination and characters I could pour my care and devotion into~ (○⁀ ▾ ⁀○) I began posting online due to a sudden impulse and the encouragement of a friend. (Psst, it was Yan-jie from yansusustories who made me do it.)

✿✿✿

 

 

Among your own stories, do you have a favorite? Why? Why not if you can't pick one?

A. I do love them all dearly, but if I had to pick a favorite, it would have to be Heavenly Soul. (๐^ ᴗ ^๐) It has been with me since I began writing, and I sunk a lot of thought and effort into its plot, characters, setting, and underlying messages.

I’ll be the first to say that it isn’t perfect, especially in the beginning, but it helped me hone my writing, learn to express myself better in English, and made me realize exactly what types of stories I want to tell.

It’s my longest work so far, so I’ve bonded with it the deepest as well. The world in the story is just so comfortable and familiar to me by now that I can see myself revisiting it often in the future. (ꈍ ꒳ ꈍ✿) In fact, I already have a couple of spin-offs planned for it~

 

✿✿✿

What do you like most about BL?

A. I came to BL after growing tired of straight romances. _(┐「ε:)_ So far, BL has kept me consistently entertained. I can’t pin down why I particularly prefer it above others, but the potential for flexibility in couple dynamics in BL romances intrigues me a lot and keeps me eagerly exploring~

 

✿✿✿

 

What's your favorite type of BL character?

A. Hmm, I have a lot of attributes I appreciate in characters in general, but my very favorite type of character is someone who is kind despite having experienced the unpleasant ways of the world, is strong enough to hold their own, is clever enough for the reader to appreciate, and loves teasing others and getting up to mischief without crossing the line. I can watch such a character do almost anything and still be entertained~

 

✿✿✿

Do you have recurring motifs or themes in your BL stories? Something you're obsessed with or in general want to explore more?

 

A. Yes, I do! (๑> ᴗ <๑) I generally love writing romances where the characters heal together, along with fun and equal character dynamics where the MC and ML tease and laugh with each other. I also really enjoy writing situations that have every means to turn dramatic or unhealthy but are instead resolved in heartwarming or supportive ways. (♡˘⌣˘♡) I certainly find these to be recurring themes in most of my stories~

As for what I want to explore more… I’ve got my eye on supernatural, mystery, and horror elements. (✧ω✧) One of the spin-offs I mentioned before will involve such themes, along with romance, of course. I hope to explore them further in other stories in the future.

 

✿✿✿

Is there any specific meaning behind your pen name, author's name?

A. When I chose this name for my account, I didn’t foresee that I’d be using it long-term, and to write stories at that. (⁀ ▿ ⁀|||)︴ While it isn’t meant to convey anything specific, I did pick it for a reason. Crimson is my favorite color and carnations are my favorite flowers, so their combination makes me happy whenever I look at it~ (❋´꒵`❋)

 

 

✿✿✿

How hard would it be for you to imagine your story(ies) rewritten with the MC role swapped with the ML? Do you think the plot would have to change a lot to keep it interesting, some character arcs, or do you feel nothing would change at all? Can you see your MC just as attractive in the ML role as the actual ML was?

A. It would be all too easy to swap their roles from pursuer to pursued or the other way around~ (৹╹ω╹৹) While the romantic development might have to be adjusted here and there for it to fit, I think the plot, couple dynamics, and character arcs would overall remain the same.

If we talk about the other type of role swapping, where the MC and ML get to keep the core of their personalities while exchanging their circumstances since birth, I think everything about the stories would be drastically different.

To use two of my longest stories as examples:

In Heavenly Soul, Feng Qinghe (MC) would end up in the Order of Sentinels, an organization that keeps peace in the cultivation world, as one of the Grandmaster’s direct disciples and the future leader. Meanwhile, Wei Xiang (ML) would become the most favored disciple of the sect master of Heavenly Peak Sect.

Without the incentive of wanting to be a more approachable senior brother, Feng Qinghe would not put in active effort to show his emotions on his face and would come across as cold and no-nonsense all the time. He would still be the same inside, but he wouldn’t smile or laugh as much, if at all. He would try to behave as is expected from a righteous Sentinel enforcing the law rather than a senior brother meant to guide disciples and support the sect. He’d be a very efficient Sentinel sticking rigidly to the rules since the twins or other juniors won’t be there to soften him, and he would be feared much more amongst the Sentinels than Wei Xiang is for his impromptu ‘sparring sessions’. (* ¬ ω¬)

Similarly, Heavenly Peak Sect wouldn’t be nearly as peaceful or overabundant with resources as it is now with Wei Xiang as a senior disciple. He would see no reason to run himself to the ground to accrue benefits for his sect when they’re already doing pretty good. (~‾⌣‾)~ And he’d get along too well with the mischief-loving twins for the Elders’ and Sect Master’s peace of mind.

As for the romance, unlike in the original story where they express interest and agree to get together at the same time, Wei Xiang would have to work hard to convince the rigid Sentinel Feng to lower his guard and see him as a potential partner. Feng Qinghe would be very awkward while showing affection, and Wei Xiang would be patient and gently teasing as he coaxed him out of his shell~

As for my second-longest story, Waylaid, Yan Yixuan (MC) would become the empire’s Great General while Ning Wei (ML) would become a court official.

Yan Yixuan would now have a strong body due to growing up in different circumstances and thus become OP as heck. As the general, Yan Yixuan would get to meet the empress early on and they’d obviously hit it off well. Putting their abilities together, they might even embark on the path to world domination. (ΦwΦ)Ψ They’d come up with intricate schemes to take over the continent together, either by conquering the other nations outright or controlling them behind the scenes.

On the other hand, as someone with a fundamentally different personality from Yan Yixuan’s, Ning Wei would not attract the unwanted attention of the crazy step-brother while growing up. He has a mostly mellow and friendly character, and he is sensitive to how other people think and knows how to earn their goodwill, so he would make a very successful diplomat. (ෆ⁀꒳⁀ෆ)

Surprisingly enough, their dynamics would be almost exactly the same. Yan Yixuan would still enthusiastically pursue Ning Wei while sneaking in some affectionate gestures here and there, and Ning Wei would be just as indulgent and admiring towards Yan Yixuan~

 

 

✿✿✿

Make a character theater here where the MC and ML of your main (or most favorite) story meet with you, the Author, for the very first time. What would they tell you if they knew what you did to them throughout the book! ( ノ ¬ Д¬)ノ

A. I had the foresight to prepare a scapegoat in Heavenly Soul who takes the blame for putting the MC through everything, so it’s already taken the edge off of their reactions and will make things easier for me~ (๑•̀ㅂ•́)و …Or so I hope.

 

∽∘∼
 

Cue curtains opening to reveal a grand stage. Spotlights flick on, illuminating the three participants.

One is the author, me, taking part as a cute crimson-colored carnation with two leaves for hands on a stem, growing out of a little flower pot. The other two are the pair of handsome young-looking men with long hair and cultivator robes opposite to me who are currently…smooching intensely. Oi.

[ME] Little Red Flower: *clapping my little leaves* Hello, can I have your attentions, please?

The couple let go of each other and look around.

[MC] Feng Qinghe: ……

[ML] Wei Xiang: ……

[ML] Wei Xiang: *narrows eyes* What is this place? How did we get here? *reaches out* Qinghe, love, take my hand. We wouldn’t want to be separated in such an uncertain situation.

[MC] Feng Qinghe: *takes his hand, then points at me* Xiang, do you think the one who pulled us into this place is that strange flower?

[ME] Little Red Flower: *puts hands on hips…ehem, I mean leaves on stem* Strange? That’s not very nice.

[ML] Wei Xiang: *raises a brow* It talks. Maybe it’s a plant spirit, a possessed flower, or something demonic. Love, do you have one of those restraining talismans? I used up all of mine in a task for the Order recently.

[MC] Feng Qinghe: Give me a moment. *rummaging in his spatial storage*

[ME] Little Red Flower: *waves leaves panickily* No wait… wait I said! Put down that talisman, young man! I’m not a possessed plant or whatever; I’m a human just using a plant body for the purpose of this interview. Just let me ask my questions and we can all return to our worlds peacefully.

[MC, ML] Feng Qinghe, Wei Xiang: *squint at me suspiciously*

[ML] Wei Xiang: Why did you take on the form of a flower if you’re a human?

[ME] Little Red Flower: *solemnly* Because I’m a super secret international spy in my home world so I don’t want anyone watching to know my true appearance.

[MC] Feng Qinghe: *doubtful* Really?

[ME] Little Red Flower: Of course not! *hides face—ehem, flower—behind leaves* I’m just shy. Leave me alone.

[MC] Feng Qinghe: Ah… *pets my flower comfortingly* There, there, we won’t ask anymore. Didn’t you have something you called us here for?

[ME] Little Red Flower: *clears throat and straightens* Yes. I have been tasked by a certain group to ask you questions for the purpose of an interview. Just answer them and you can go back to your world and do…whatever you were doing before.

[MC] Feng Qinghe: *curious* Why are you doing this?

[ME] Little Red Flower: *shrugs* Because I was given the option to do it and I thought it would be kind of interesting. *muttering to myself* But it’s turning into something troublesome already…

[ML] Wei Xiang: *folding arms* Alright. We just need to answer some questions, right? Let’s get this over with.

[ME] Little Red Flower: *takes in a deep breath of carbon dioxide* Okay. Let me first introduce myself. I’m the author who wrote you, your entire world, and constructed your plot for the purpose of my story.

[MC] Feng Qinghe: ……

[ML] Wei Xiang: ……

[MC] Feng Qinghe: Wait, are you saying that…?

[ME] Little Red Flower: *nods firmly* Yes, you were technically created by me. Everything you went through was orchestrated by me as well. *struggles not to hide under my leaves nervously*

[MC] Feng Qinghe: …Huh. *grows lost in thought*

[ML] Wei Xiang: *in a flat voice* And here I thought it was all Heaven’s despicable manipulation that made my beloved suffer so much. *eyes turn gold and pupils grow slitted as they fix on me*

[ME] Little Red Flower: *tries not to wilt* Um…according to the story, it was still Heaven’s fault, but I guess I’m the evil mastermind behind everything? *spreads leaves helplessly*

[ML] Wei Xiang: *frowns* I don’t like the thought of being someone’s puppet.

[MC] Feng Qinghe: *squints at me with a placid smile and glinting eyes* Say, if we capture you and don’t allow you to write this ‘story’ of yours, would that mean we will get our freedom? I promise we will treat you well.

[ME] Little Red Flower: *gulps* Don’t do anything hasty! Who knows if the story will continue in the same happy direction as now if I’m not there to guide it? Besides… *sighs out oxygen tiredly* I don’t control you guys at all, not that I haven’t tried. I can have the entire sequence of events planned carefully yet you always go and do things that make me change the entire scene at the last minute! Do you know how difficult it is to maintain the plot’s direction when that happens?! It’s like you don’t want me to give you your happily ever after! *waves leaves around in frustration* So, if anything, I’d say I’m the one being controlled by you two instead, hmph!

[MC] Feng Qinghe: *blinks* Oh. *smiles at me warmly and pets my flower* As long as you’re only the hand guiding us towards happiness and not our puppeteer, it’s okay.

[ME] Little Red Flower: *tries to look unconvinced at this sudden reasonableness but can’t because I’m the sucker who wrote him this way… and also because I’m a flower who can’t show such complex expressions*

[ML] Wei Xiang: *staring at me* I’m still not happy at everything you made Qinghe go through.

[MC] Feng Qinghe: *stops petting* I’m also not happy that Xiang had such an unhappy past. Can you please give us an explanation for why you put us through all that?

[ME] Little Red Flower: Well, since you asked politely… But let me first ask you something in return: Do you like each other’s personalities as they are, flaws and all?

[MC, ML] Feng Qinghe, Wei Xiang: *looking at each other then back at me before nodding* Of course.

[ME] Little Red Flower: Now think—if I hadn’t made you go through what you did, would you have become the people you are now? If you didn’t develop your current personalities and became someone else, would your partner like you as much? Would you even have the opportunities you did to meet and get close to each other? Everything would have changed and you wouldn’t have the lives you do. On the other hand, due to everything you overcame, you now have such a perfectly happy life that, if I have anything to say about it, will go on like this forever. Isn’t it already good to pay for such a long and perfect life with suffering that lasted only a fraction of that time?

[MC] Feng Qinghe: Hmm… Thinking of it that way, it does make sense. I’m quite happy to end up where I am now. *smiles contentedly* I can’t think of a happier life than this, so I suppose I have you to thank. *pets me gratefully*

[ML] Wei Xiang: *grumbling* I still would rather Qinghe not have gone through the things he did.

[MC] Feng Qinghe: *smiling up at him affectionately* I don’t mind it since it did help me meet my dear Xiang. Actually, even if I had to experience a life much more horrible than what I’ve lived through, it would be worth it as long as you were waiting for me at the end.

[ML] Wei Xiang: *eyes softening* Love, don’t say that. I want you to always live happy and free without an iota of suffering more.

[MC] Feng Qinghe: *grinning and reaching up to smoosh their cheeks together* Then you better stay by my side forever and make sure of that.

[ML] Wei Xiang: *chuckling and nuzzling him back* Oh, I definitely plan to.

[ME] Little Red Flower: *muttering to myself* I can’t believe I’m being made to eat my own characters’ dog food… See if I don’t separate you once in a while as revenge for today, you stinky brats…

[MC, ML] Feng Qinghe, Wei Xiang: *turning to me* Did you say something?

[ME] Little Red Flower: *blinking innocently* No, nothing? I’m done with questions, so do you have anything to ask me now?

[MC] Feng Qinghe: Yes, there's something I've been curious about for a while. Can you tell us what type of group you are doing this on behalf of?

[ME] Little Red Flower: The group I’m doing this for is the one that created this space for us to interact in and gave me this opportunity to be bullied by—ehem, I mean, to talk with you.

[MC] Feng Qinghe: Oh? They seem formidable to have the capability to arrange all this. *looks around the stage* Now I’m intrigued. Xiang, what do you think we’ll see if we break this dimension?

[ML] Wei Xiang: *flexes his hands with a smirk as black claws pop out* I’m pretty sure that as denizens from a higher realm, we’ll survive the collapsing of a small dimension like this. So, shall we find out what secrets lie beyond?

[ME] Little Red Flower: *sweating, but only internally because flowers don’t have sweat glands* I knew it would come to this with you both. Don’t get up to anything rambunctious now―

[MC] Feng Qinghe: *looks at me* What about that flower?

[ML] Wei Xiang: *dismissively* That’s not the actual person, so it should be fine even if the plant is destroyed.

[ME] Little Red Flower: Oi! *waves leaves crossly* I’ll still feel guilty if the stuff here gets damaged!

[MC] Feng Qinghe: *grins happily* I suppose we’re free to explore with clear consciences then. *summons wind while studying the enclosed space with keen eyes*

[ML] Wei Xiang: *laughs as golden wings snap out of his back while metallic strings begin uncoiling from under his wrist guards*

[ME] Little Red Flower: Crap! *shakes leaves frantically* Close curtains! Close them now!

The spotlights go out and the curtains slam closed hurriedly. A moment later, the stage goes out of existence, returning all three participants to their respective worlds.

 

∽∘∼
 

Phew, I made it out in the nick of time… I apologize for how long this one got. I blame it all on the characters. (৹‾–‾৹)✧

 

✿✿✿

 

What story length do you enjoy writing most in? What story length is the one you like the least and why?

A. I feel that length-wise, short stories are the most relaxing to write for me. They have a lot of flexibility in terms of style since I can explore an interesting concept without having to commit to it for too long.

As for the length I like the least, I originally wanted to say stories that run over fifty chapters or so, because the larger the story the more plotlines I have to wrap up satisfactorily at the end and the more pressure there is. But I think I find oneshots even more troublesome. ( ̄▿ ̄;) It’s very, very difficult to keep an idea confined to a single chapter rather than let it bloom and expand its wings into a larger, more in-depth story. As a result, I feel really proud when I manage to pull a oneshot off~

 

 

✿✿✿

If you could choose a world or character to transmigrate into among your stories, which would it be?

A. If I had to pick a world, it would probably be Heavenly Soul’s since it has a progressive and peaceful society, with a working justice system despite the cultivation setting. It feels like a comfortable and caring place to settle into~ (* ´ ꒳ ` *) But I don’t have a particular character I want to transmigrate into there.

If I absolutely had to choose someone to transmigrate into though, I’d choose Ning Wei’s third aunt, Ning He, in Waylaid. She has a pretty awesome and quirky family, a stable and peaceful life, and best of all, she doesn’t have a spouse or lover who would be negatively affected if I replaced her~

 

 

 

 



 

Thank you, crimson_carnation!

 

Hope to you see you coming out of your rest soon to give your readers the extras for your finished story and then—AHH! waiting to see your new stories! Good luck with them, and make our BL community proud again (and Yuri community as well ^^).

Thank you everyone for reading and please check out crimson_carnation's other stories as well, because she has several, and they are all finished!

 

Bye and see you in another Interview in a few days!

(●‿●)/

 

37