Chapter 24: History of the Hecaron Kingdom
2.5k 6 87
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"Ugh, who turned on the lights?" (Riel)

I said out loud as I opened my eyes. I look around and realize that it was already morning. I was wondering why I felt so tired but then remembered that I slept later than usual but still woke up around the same time I normally do. If one were to ask me if I regret sleeping later than usual, I would say that I don't regret it at all. In fact, I might even do it again tonight. I can't help it that this world's history is basically written like a light novel.

According to Lime-sensei, most historical records that are centered upon a protagonist or heroic character are written from the perspective of said character. Back then, these "heroic tales" could only be formally recorded when the person in question gives their permission. This is because a lot of the heroes back then were members of nobility so any possible misunderstandings or misinterpretations could be seen as libel and slander. As a result, some records could very well be filled with inconsistencies and exaggerations. Some of them even contain blatant lies and major plot holes that don't make sense at all.

As a history buff, I don't appreciate this part at all since it makes me think that what I'm reading could very well be false and inaccurate. As a reader, however, I enjoy this part very much since, for the most part, it makes for a really good and entertaining story. Since the books that Lime-sensei gave to me are the ones that are recognized by the kingdom as true historical records, I decided to just brush off my grievances with it and just accept it as a story.

One story that caught my eye is the origins of the Hecaron Kingdom. According to the books, the Hecaron Kingdom started off as a certain town that was abundant in natural resources such as rare plants that could be used for medicine and potions, and also various ores and minerals that could be used to make weapons and such. Because of this, the kingdom that the town was ruled by had imposed very harsh taxes and would buy those materials at a very cheap price. Sometimes they would even straight up demand those materials for free. Because of this, the town had basically been treated as of it was merely a factory that the kingdom owned. 

At first, the residents accepted these conditions as the norm and continued on with their modest lifestyles, but they eventually found out that they were being cheated and treated unfairly. Because of this, the residents planned an uprising of some sort. A huge part of the plan was to equip a small number of elites with the best equipment and to use them as some sort of a bargaining chip for negotiations so that the town would be freed from the unjust treatment that the kingdom had imposed on them. What they didn't expect was the resurrection of the demon king and the invasion of the demon army. 

Before they could even carry out their initial plan, the demon army attacked the town. Apparently, the demon army had received intel about how the town was the main supplier for weapons and such. The demon army even sent out the weakest member of the four heavenly kings who was specialized in stealth and covert operations in order to crush and capture the town. What they didn't account for was the elite force that the town had raised and equipped with the best equipment. These 6 were the ancestors of the 6 pillars of the Hecaron Kingdom. Regal Hecaron, the Light Hero, Paula Agnis, the Fire Hero, Zephera Tempest, the Wind Hero, Tyrvan Gaeus, the Earth Hero, Markus Strom, the Water Hero, and Violet Harmonia, a hero whose abilities are unknown. This group of elites defended the village and even fatally wounded one of the four heavenly kings. Because of this event, they became the main fighting force against the demons.

At first, the king and most of the crooked nobles were angry at the fact that the village had been hiding such a force and the top-grade equipment. What happened next was that the king had given an order to punish the entire town for treason. The punishment was basically a slavery contract between the town and the kingdom. When the residents of the town heard of that, they became furious and decided to start the uprising. What the king didn't know was that his 2nd daughter that was born from a concubine and was also treated badly, was actually allied with the town and had conspired with them to overthrow the king. After that event, the 2nd Princess became the queen and decided to fix all the injustice that the town had experienced. 

After that, the war between humans and demons had started. Multiple kingdoms had fallen and millions of lives were lost but in the end, the Demon King was finally slain by the group of youths that were dubbed the Hero Party. After the war ended, the Light Hero and the princess had married and the Hecaron Kingdom was founded. 

It was written mostly from the perspectives of the Light Hero, but it occasionally switched to the perspectives of the other heroes except for Violet Harmonia. Up to this day, the abilities of the Harmonia family are still unknown, but I knew what it was. It was the ability to check people's status screen. That unknown piece of knowledge had filled up most of the plot holes and illogical jumps that were found in the story. For example, even though the princess was in cahoots, it would be close to impossible for her presence alone to make the uprising possible since she was merely a concubine's daughter and would not have any access to inside information that was very valuable. Because of this, I could only infer that Violet Harmonia was able to use her ability in some way where she was able to gather free information and use it against the king. 

With that being said, it was a very enjoyable story. I'm confident that no matter what question Lime-sensei would ask me about it, I was confident that I could answer it. This was basically what would happen if anime and manga were part of the test an Otaku would take. I may have made fun of my friend by calling her Ota-chan, but that didn't mean I wasn't an Otaku. At this point, I can even feel my inner chuunibyou arise because of all the talk about magic and stuff. Maybe I should do the "My right arm" thing when I learn magic.Fufufu, just thinking about it gets me excited. I can't wait till I get to learn magic.

87