Ch 71 – Ace’s sweet tooth
2.4k 9 114
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"... This place?" Necro looked up at the gorgeous storefront Ace had brought her to.

"Yes~! It's a nice bakery and they sell many sweet things."

"I think I forgot to ask but... Ace, by any chance, do you spend all your money as an adventurer on sweet things?"

"Not all of it~. I save some to buy myself another parchment one when this one breaks down."

"That doesn't make it much better..." Necro bit her lip realizing this wound turn out more expensive than she intended... but still, "Let's forget about that stuff. Let's enjoy the meal, right?"

"Hai!" Beyond anything else, Ace's gleeful smile was worth far more than she could ever spend at a single meal, or so she thought right there and then.

The couple entered the place, immediately walking towards one of the empty tables. The place was not that fancy, but the people inside were all still dressed up pretty well. Necro pretended not to notice all the gossip among the occupied tables as they entered the room, and sat down.

"What do you want?" She asked.

"Hmmmm... There are many sweet things. The honey of this region is pretty famous. I want to try a new thing though."

"New? Aren't you usually coming here or something?"

"Yes... but it's not like I can afford to come every day. I wanted to try meggyleves."

"Huh? The heck is that? Soup?"

"Yeah, but it's a cold sweet one! They serve it with some pastry too."

"I see... I guess we can eat that."

"Excuse me. Can you even afford to come to this place?" A well dressed middle aged woman turned around from the table behind them.

"Excuse me?" Necro stood up, slamming the table with her fists and making the cutlery rattle.

"Necky... It's fine, just ignore her." Ace reached across the table and touched Necro's hand. Necro started to back down, but the woman spoke again.

"Back the fuck off and leave you street-rats!" Necro rose from her seat, almost going onto the table, her hand raised above her face ready to slap the shit out of the pig-looking fat woman.

"The hell's going on here!?" Until she was interrupted by a well dressed man.

"This disgusting rat is spoiling the whole place! Kick them out!" The woman spouted something with a shit-eating grin, her nose rose up proudly.

"Hey lil Acey, what's up here?"

"What—?" The woman was flabbergasted as the man completely ignored her. Instead, addressing the small girl she couldn't see.

"This old woman was blabbering that we couldn't afford being here. So my... friend got angry at her."

"Are you not gonna kick them!?" The fat woman raised her voice as it cracked. She was almost yelling by this point. All other people around, looking towards the four people.

"Why would I kick one of our best patrons? Rather, the hell are you even trying to pick a fight with other customers? Just please, end your meal and leave."

"What!? I'm mortified! Do you know who I am?"

"A one time customer that's probably married to some rich merchant in town. You don't seem to be royalty, and you also aren't important enough for me to know your face. Please, just leave."

"What!? Is this how you treat your paying customers?! I'm horrified! I'll let all the people I know heat what that this place prefers as its customers!"

"Be my guest. Now get the heck out before I kick you myself!" Necro sat back down as she heard the man yelling at the fat lady, her mouth gaping wide... until she saw Ace's smirk. "Why you laughing?"

"... The owner of this place."

"Huh?"

"He used to cook for my uncle."

"Oh... I see."

"Most people around know me too..."

"I... see..."

"What is it?"

"No... It's just why were they gossiping so much when we came in?"

"Oh, probably cus I always come alone."

"I see..." Necro's eyes wandered around, where a few people covered their smirks with hands and hand fans. A smile onto her face.

"What you laughing at, you street-rat! Humpf!" The fat woman walked past their table, she used colorful stamps all over, almost like a peacock.

"Imagine if she knew you're a princess..." Ace muttered while laughing.

"I guess her not knowing it is a great sign."

"I'm very very sorry for the inconvenience, young ladies."

"You don't have to be that courteous around me, Endre."

"Is always good to see you around, milady." The man bowed down, his hand closed over his chest.

"Don't make this long. My friend here is treating me to a meal."

"I see... If you allow me, I'd like to give you some amenities, as an apology."

"No need, what was your name? Andre?"

"Endre, ma'am."

"Endre, sorry. It's not your fault. Now, if you could, as an apology, tell me what you recommend us to eat. Ace here would love some... sour-cherry soup, I guess."

"Ah, yes. That's one of our specialties. It'd come well with some honeyed toast and for a drink, some Palinka. But I'd refrain from letting Ace drink too much of it."

"I'm... well aware of her weakness to alcohol." The man nodded to Necro's remark, while Ace herself pouted. "Can we get her something else to drink? I'll take your advice fully."

"Yes ma'am. I'd recommend honeywine."

"That's still got it in, doesn't it?"

"Yeah, I'm sorry. There's been a water issue so we're only allowed to sell that kind of beverage. I can guarantee the honey wine is far mellower and sweet."

"I'll take it, then."

"Thank you. Your food shall arrive soon."

"I liked this guy, what was his name again?"

"Endre... I like him too. But what was that about the alcohol?"

"... Do you remember what happened last time?"

"Last time?"

"Yeah, when you slept while I was stripping..." Necro whispered as she leaned towards Ace.

"Ah... That happened? I can't remember..."

"And that's why." Necro shrugged as she sunk on the chair, looking towards the door where the man went through.

114