Ch 76 – High Treason
2.6k 3 93
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"Back to the matter at hand," The guildmaster shuffled on her seat, crossing her legs as she looked sternly at Ace. " I think we should address yesterday's events with some care." The stern tone in her voice made her sound like a completely different person, the very opposite of the playful and flirtatious girl from a few minutes ago. Necro furrowed her brows, trying to understand why the sudden change, even when compared to how she felt talking about whether Necro had killed others... This her now felt way too serious, too much so.

"The fact is... what you and this girl here," she winked at Necro, making her alertness crumble, and allowing her to relax again. "and all your companions, for that matter, did was not a small feat. A small B-rank party showed up in the middle of the night, carrying over 30 fingers, all registered to a foreign country's military, and claiming they had gotten a hold of a month's provision for all those people, and that they were acting as bandits. Do you even realize how insane that sounds?"

Ace gulped. Necro, on the other hand, was relaxed, since the wink from earlier foreshadowed that nothing bad would come of this.

"Moreover, tomorrow, the very last morning, they leave with two carts, in the middle of harvesting season, with drivers to boot, and come back the very same morning, bringing said supplies. Measures had already been taken for the case you guys were lying and had been conluing with bandits on the murder of foreign military, you know?" She sighed, taking a break. "Anyhow, you proved to be telling the truth, and we are very happy for it, but that doesn't change the most important thing... There were over 30 foreign military in this region, acting as bandits, and ambushing people on the roads. I'm sorry, but we still haven't really come to a closing on the monetary rewards and the importance of this feat. The king was notified, and is already working on securing the letters and funds."

"Wait, the king?! What does he have anything to do with this?" Ace asked, widening her eyes.

"Well, this is a matter of national security after all—"

"This is what today's announcement was about, wasn't it?" Necro interrupted Asfett, making the clerk stare at her coldly.

"Precisely." the guildmaster confirmed.

"Wait, wait! Today's announcement? You mean the war?!" Ace raised her voice, her eyes bouncing back and forth between Necro and the guildmaster.

"I'm afraid yes..." Necro nodded.

"It is as you say, once the presence of the foreign soldiers and their doings was confirmed, as well as the confirmation of their identities, His Highness decided this was the last straw, and declared war. " She cleared her throat. "Now, the matter of promotion. It was already due that you took the exam for advancing to B class, but we have no such Mages in this region to make it happen. Due to this feat, however, it was deemed that it was unnecessary to go through all the formalities, and thus, you have been promoted." A broad smile started forming on Ace's lips as she heard this, but contrary to her expectations, Necro's following point was far more cunning.

"So you pulled some strings in the back to protect her from the fallout, isn't that so?"

"Hey, you! Look at how y—"

"Leira, it's fine."

"I'm sorry."

"That is indeed what happened." Ace widened her eyes once again, her mouth gaping, as she heard the guildmaster. "It was necessary to ensure I could do everything within my power to protect the autonomy of the Adventurers' Guild and of the Adventurers under me."

"Umu~!" Necro nodded.

"What are you guys talking about?" Ace asked, not understanding much, if any, of this conversation.

"I'm sorry, but I won't be able to protect anyone but you."

"Huh?" Ace stalled, not understanding what was happening, until the guildmaster let out the bitter reality.

"I think I've made it good enough to avoid Public Execution, but you relatives in this country will probably all be arrested for suspected High Treason and taken to the Budai Var for questioning. As your wiser-than-thou friend here said, you being a part of the capture and subjugation of the invaders, and being publicly rewarded for it, is an important leverage for keeping yourself and the Adventurers' Guild completely above any suspicion or doubt. With this, I was able to guarantee your freedom, and that you will not be bothered by the inquisitors. After all, the bula is still valid in this territory to some extent."

"I see... Thank you for putting a word out for me." Ace sulked, despite voicing her gratitude.

"I thought you hated them for trying to sell you..." Necro whispered in her ear.

"I do, but... they are still my family, you know...? Even though I'm pretty sure they have to do with this. Sounds like something they would definitely do, for enough money." she whispered back in Necro's ears.

"Oh..." Necro nodded, looking back towards the guildmaster. "Thank you for protecting her. I know she doesn't really look like it right now, but it's just from the shock, she's very thankful to you, and so am I."

"But of course. Anyone would in her situation, I mean, we just waged war against, not only her country, but her father himself."

"Exactly." The two nodded at each other, while Ace cleaned the corner of her eye with her finger, trying to get rid of the small droplet forming.

"... Excuse me?" a ghastly white clerk interrupted the conversation, completely flabbergasted.

"Yes, dear. What is it?" Asfett turned her head to the side, speaking in a motherly tone.

"What does the silver-haired girl have to do with the war and...—"

"Dear, oh dear. You didn't know?" the guildmaster giggled. "Helene Laese de Portucal and Lancaster of Habsburg, first princess of Habsburg and the Holy Empire."

"I no longer go by any of those titles. Please, just call me Ace."

93