No. 6
47 1 5
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

*Clang*

The first clash resulted in a draw. Both were forced to take a few steps backward. Following the initial clash, Marshall activated the magical properties of the blade. A pale blue light enveloped the blade and solidified, creating a sword composed of light. In response, the Immortal King made an inaudible chant, and a ghastly green flame enveloped his sword. The flames surged and coated the blade.

Marshall took the brief moment to charge towards the skeleton aiming for another clash, but right when their blades were nearing each other, Marshall changed the trajectory of his swing. The skeleton’s burning sword was parried and pressing the advantage, Marshall slashed at his opponent’s lower leg expecting to leave it. The undead reacted to the clever maneuver by attempting to retract his leg but was only partially successful.

The now damaged left leg had many visible cracks filled with the same blue energy that covered Marshall’s sword. The Immortal King was in awe of both the young man’s swordsmanship and strength. The ability to change trajectory mid-swing was not an easy feat in the least. It required a high level of sword control, not something you would expect from someone so young.

Marshall was unaware of the skeleton’s thoughts and seeing that his previous attack had worked to an extent wanted to pressure his opponent. This time, the Immortal King met the youth with a higher level of focus.

As the swords of blue and green collided repeatedly, it became obvious who the superior swordsman was. The skeleton’s body was riddled with cracks and chips of various sizes, each tainted with a blue light. As for Marshall, he received a minuscule number of actual cuts but was often signed by the green flames.

Suddenly, the skeleton retreated from their exchange and pointed his open palm towards Marshall. In the blink of an eye, a fireball the size of a washing machine flew out threatening to incinerate the youth. With unwavering eyes, Marshall held the sword high and made a single slash, consequently slicing the fireball into halves. With green flames burning at his sides, he rushed towards the skeleton wanting to end this trial.

The Immortal King exchanged his sword hand, now wielding it with his left arm, but this made little difference to Marshall. After two exchanges, Marshall's blade was centimeters away from severing the skeleton's left arm, however, the unexpected happened. The skeleton threw a flame-covered fist towards Marshall.

[I’ll block this and…]

The realization came too late. His arm was too damaged to use even as a sacrifice. He halted his strike and tried to jump away from the punch. As he flew backward in midair the punch finished its motion, or rather it should have. The clenched fist flew open and another green fireball flew out, this time hitting its mark. Marshall shot backward and crashed into the walls creating large cracks. His entire body was covered in burns, and the impact with the wall had broken several ribs, some of which were piercing his lungs and other organs.

He coughed up blood as he tried his utmost to arise but with no success. Countless burns, broken bones, internal bleeding, and a punctured lung were at the worst of his injuries. As much as he wanted to pass out, he forced himself awake. With his eyes barely open, he watched as the Immortal King slowly approached him. Each step was heavy and foreboding. Marshall again attempted to rise but his body was exhausted from Burn Out and the explosion.

“It seems you have quite a strong will. From beginning to end you were able to deter the hidden effect of my flames. Even that brief moment is easily forgotten when compared to your latest performance.”

Marshall squinted his eyes and raked his mind for the meaning of the skeleton’s words, while still trying to lift his battered body.

“To think that you can suppress your emotions, specifically your fear to such an extent, it’s truly astounding. Most should have died during the first wave, yet you managed to arrive here, and even keep me entertained. For that, I must applaud you. However, it seems like this is the end.”

The Immortal King pointed his sword at Marshall’s head.

“Any last words challenger?”

Marshall answered with a cold gaze.

“Ah, such fearsome eyes.”

The skeleton drew back the sword before slashing horizontally to decapitate Marshall. Without faltering, Marshall stared down his opponent. As the blade was centimeters from his neck, Marshall’s vision turned black.


In a white room that seemed to extend forever, a man in his early twenties was seated cross-legged. Four entities surrounded the young man in a semicircle. What was unique about the four beings is that while they had humanoid shapes, they were composed of auroras of varying colors.

The four were split evenly, having two females and two males. Of the two males, one was composed of varying shades of red lights, while the other had a slightly slender body of a variety of blue lights. Of the females, yellow lights formed a lithe physique, while green lights were arranged to form a slightly shorter woman with a voluptuous body.

“What an interesting child,” the woman in green said.

“You think so too, Vasteros?” the woman in yellow commented.

“Hmph. Only a blind man would not be able to see that this child is overflowing with talent,” the man in red stated.

“For once, I have to agree with Iliyo. However, it is clear that this boy is meant to be a great mage, not some brutish warrior,” the man in blue remarked.

“Oezis, how dare you call the noble profession of a warrior a brute! It’s leaps and bounds beyond the capabilities of a frail mage.”

“Tch. Why would someone choose to be a barbarian or a snob? He’s a perfect hunter!”

“Unfortunately, I’ll have to disagree with you Nedione. This child has the talent to a marvelous healer.”

It only took a few seconds before the four were arguing about which class suited the youth better. Meanwhile, the person in question was roused awake by the loud voices. Despite being submerged in their arguments, the four light-like entities noticed when Marshall woke up. He tried to open his eyes but to no avail. He tried to get up, no luck. He tried to speak, but no sound came out. Suddenly he heard a melodious voice and felt a warmth that couldn’t be described.

“Be at ease child. There are certain restrictions on you when you are in this space.”

The words partially soothed his worries and triggered a certain memory. For the last decade, the phenomenon known as awakenings has been occurring on Earth. Compiling accounts from countless people, the process is almost instantaneous. One second you’re at school, work, or at home, next, you hear one of four known voices and are imbued with their unique mark.

“It seems like you already know quite a bit, this makes it easier.”

This time a sagacious voice could be heard

[Wait? Two voices, that shouldn’t happen.]

“It’s not two, young one.”

A calm and modulated female voice rang out.

[Three!?!]

“Almost.”

Now a husky and masculine voice could be heard.

[…]

“Don’t go silent on us kid.”

[Right, apologies…Then, what happens here?]

(Oezis) “Ah, well there are certain limitations to this process. A great majority of humans can only follow a single path. Naturally, there are exceptions, there are some that can follow a primary path and a lesser path. The rarest cases with your species are individuals that can follow two primary classes, but that is the limit. The reason being humans are weak vessels compared to other sapient life forms. Which is the reason for our current situation. You have extraordinary talent as a warrior, mage, hunter, and healer.”

(Vasteros) “Your soul is peerless, but your body limited. Truly a shame.”

(Iliyo) “Since it has come to this, why don’t we let the kid pick which of us he wants. No hard feelings no matter the choice.”

(Nedione) “That’s surprisingly mature of you Iliyo. I don’t mind, how about the two of you Vasteros and Oezis?”

(Oezis) “I’m certain he’ll pick the right path.”

(Vasteros) “Take your time child.”

[…]

Marshall weighed the options in his mind and after the time it would take to drink a cup of tea, he concluded.

[I choose-]

“Ah, I was almost late.”

Marshall’s eyes were abruptly forced open and he saw four humanoid figures composed of lights. One red, another blue, a third yellow, and the last green. The four beings appeared to be staring at Marshall, or rather what was behind Marshall, it was hard to tell since they didn’t have eyes.

As he turned around, he saw another figure of light, but this time various hues of purple. It almost felt like the being was smiling at him.

“Allow me to introduce myself, I am K.”

“K?” Marshall was shocked because his voice came out and it wasn’t just in his head.

“At the moment, revealing my entire name will not benefit you, but listening to my offer will.” The voice was relaxed and had a baritone pitch.

“Why are you here?”

“Nice to see you too Iliyo, if you must know I am here to speak with Marshall,” K responded with a light tone.

“I believe what Iliyo wanted to ask is how you are here.”

“Nedione, sharp as always. As much as I want to answer that, I would rather not.”

The atmosphere began to change. Marshall turns and sees power surging from the four he was originally talking with. Just as it’s about to reach him, it is completely dissipated.

“Heh. Is there even a reason to get so upset? Wait! Don’t answer that. Revealing too much will affect the possible outcomes. Just know that this guy is important to me and Navos. In fact, he’s in the middle of a trial right now.”

These words seem to startle the other four beings. Marshall was stunned bot by K’s strength and intrigued about who this Navos was.

[How does he know I’m completing a trial, but the others seem unaware. Does he know what the trials are for and why I was selected?]

“Well, that’s all I really want to say, so I’ll be taking my leave. Come, Marshall, we don’t have much time.”

Without warning, Marshall was enshrouded in purple light and teleported to another location in the white expanse.

“Can someone tell me what’s going on?”

“Iliyo, for once, I think we are all just as confused as you,” Nedione spoke with an exasperated tone.


In another part of the vast white expanse, a young man with handsome features was staring at a humanoid figure composed of purple auroras.

“Hehe, what an intense gaze. Even if you stare like that, I won’t tell you.”

“…”

“Don’t think too much about it, it will all eventually make sense, or maybe it will get even more confusing.”

“*Sigh* So what happens now?”

“I’ll lead you down my path. As much as it would be fun to explain to you all the intricacies and details-”

“You would rather not?”

“Oh, you learn fast. Stand still for a second

K stretched his arm towards Marshall, then a stream of purple aurora flowed out. Soon, Marshall was completely engulfed in the light.

“Good luck and try not to die,” K said before snapping his fingers pushing Marshall’s consciousness out of the white space.

Without the presence of Marshall, the light the enshrouded K dispersed and revealed a man with sea-foam green eyes that held a variety of emotions. He stared at where the young man was just standing for a moment before he wordlessly flew off further into the white void.

 

It felt as though the forces of the universe were trying to prevent me from writing this weekend. For those that may wonder why I don't have pre-written chapters, I do. Unfortunately, they always feel lacking. Even the published chapters feel lacking, but maybe this feeling will lessen as the story develops. There will be a terminology change. The word 'hunter' to designate people that go into dungeons will be changed to 'divers'. The dialogue in this chapter was an uphill battle, and I would love some feedback on it. As always, thank you for your time, and I hope you can enjoy it. A demain.

  

5