Volume 02: Seeking a new path in uncertainty (3)
1.1k 6 32
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I woke up from what I would call the best sleep I have ever had since coming to this world. While the beds were nowhere as good as the ones I had at home, it beats sleeping in caves and on floors any day. You don’t realize how much you miss the things you take for granted until you lose them…

 

The sleep was so comfortable, that I ended up oversleeping. By the time I crawled out of bed, which I didn’t want to but still had to drag myself out, it was already noon.

 

So effectively, the plans I had for today kind of ended up as a wash. Of course that doesn’t mean I can’t do what I can. I walk down to the receptionist counter. Which was rather empty this time of day.

 

“Excuse me please, can I see the samples of the local herbs in this area?” I ask.

 

“Sure, no problem, give me a sec” said the receptionist who came over to the counter.

 

She then went over and took a box, then brought it to me.

 

“T-thank y-you” I said with a semi-shaking voice as I receive the box.

 

The problem? For the first time since coming to this town, I interacted with a human.

 

I know that slavery of beastkin is not allowed here and I can’t exactly blame all humans for the action of some. But I can’t help it that my body tenses up whenever I come near a human…

 

Putting those thoughts aside, I examine the herbs in the box. The most common herbs, [Dire Milkweed], [Lavender Ginger Roots] and [Violet River Grass] were all there. But there was some new herbs as well.

 

 

Red Cave Moss

Moss that grows near or inside caves. Often used as a catalyst for making potions and in other alchemic formulas.

 

Quality 1.2/10.0

Blue Hoya

 

A plant that grows in warm areas. Used for the making of wax.

 

Quality 0.9/10

Sleepy Jasmine

 

A shrub that grows in warm areas. Often used in the making of low level sleeping poison.

 

Quality 1.0/10

 

Ever since I got my new class, now my [Identify] is breaking things down into decimals...is this a byproduct of [Creationist: Analyze Everything] or my [PER] stat, maybe both? I wonder...

 

I make my way out of the guild while eating the last of my provisions and head for the gate. Getting out was definitely quicker than getting in, but it still took a good half hour.

 

Once out, I began searching for herbs. And as I feared, the amount of herbs was rather lacking. At this time, I did my best to avoid monsters since I knew it was not safe to hunt alone, especially due to not being familiar with the area. Today was simply a getting to know the area tour.

 

By end of the day, I barely managed to collect 7 herbs, 1 [Violet River Grass], 1 [Sleepy Jasmine], 2 [Dire Milkweed] and 3 [Lavender Ginger Roots] . This place is freaking brutal for collecting herbs! Even these were far harder to get than I anticipated. But I guess with a town so big and so many dogkin, it isn’t that surprising ha? Every dogkin that escapes and comes here probably thinks about making ends meet via collecting of herbs.

 

Once I made it into town, I head back towards the guild. Only stopping by a vendor to buy a pair of meat skewers for a total of 1 iron coin. The taste is as one would expect, pretty bland...but still much better than what I ate so far in this world. I guess seasoning is a luxury in this world.

 

In the guild, I decide to cash in the 7 herbs I got, plus the [Violet River Grass], [Dire Milkweed] and [Lavender Ginger Roots] I saved from last time. The reason being is that these 3 herbs are quite available here despite the extra effort, and I need all the money I can get. After selling the herbs, I managed to collect 37 iron and 50 copper coins. Which puts my total savings at 71 iron coins.

 

Well 63 iron coins to be more precise once I again paid for a bed to stay at the guild.

 

The next morning, I reluctantly had to get up early. The reason is because today was the monthly selection for the Blacksmithing Guild. The 5 dwarves who stayed with me in that room seem to have gotten up earlier and were preparing things. They then headed downstairs at around same time I did.

 

Walking towards the Blacksmithing Guild, I noticed the population of dwarves rapidly rise. And they were all headed in the same direction…

 

How competitive is the monthly selection I pondered, getting pretty worried.

 

When I arrived, there was at least a small village of 50 dwarves standing there waiting to get in. Of course dwarves were not the only ones there, I saw a few humans and 1 elf as well. Though I was the only beastkin in the group.

 

After about an hour of waiting, a rather sturdy built dwarf came out of the blacksmithing guild and stood in front of everyone.

 

“All right then ladies! We will now begin the monthly selections! I hope ya not be wasting my time! Follow me!” yelled the dwarf in a loud overbearing voice addressing a crowd mostly made of men.

 

 

You have acquired a new skill [NA][Voice Manipulation] Level 1

 

As we came in, the dwarf pointed at an open area.

 

“Each of ya take a spot, take the [Copper Ingot] provided, and make me a dagger within 3 hours! Ya can use ya’r own tools or the ones provided, just don’t be blamin’ ya’r tools for ya’r own failure!” he bellowed.

 

We each took up a spot as instructed, which contained a single ingot and some tools for smithing, but unlike others who began hammering away from the get-go, I stood their dumbfounded.

 

Wait...aren’t they gonna at least instruct us on what to do at the very least?!? I guess I’ll have to learn as things go along...

 

I began to observe the dwarves around me to see what they were doing, in about a minute.

 

Your skill [NP][Blacksmithing] has become Level 2

[Creationist] quest unlocked!

 

With that, the process began to become a bit more clearer. While I would have liked to look at what this whole quest business was, now was not the time.

 

As such, I began to imitate what I saw others do as I scanned around looking for who seemed to be the best smith in the group of 50. In a short while I found the best smith and began to take note. And as expected, a minute after another blue box appeared.

 

 

Your skill [NP][Blacksmithing] has become Level 3

 

Unfortunately, that was as far as it went. No matter who I looked at after, none of them would raise my level. So I was forced to make due with what I could.

 

The process was far harder than it appeared. At issue was that I simply lacked the strength. While my level is rather high and being a beastkin gave me decent strength, it simply paled in compared to a dwarf who got a whopping 5 STR per level. I was barely at the STR level to make due.

 

I did my best to replicate what I saw, and barely managed to finish it by deadline of 3 hours. With finally being done, I took a moment breather and took a look at-

 

[Creationist] quest unlocked!

 

…what that is all about…

 

So lets see, “Quest Menu” probably?

 

 

[Creationist] Improve your production skills

Improve your production skills, by either gaining a new production skill or enhancing an already acquired production skill.

 

Type: Continuous

 

Status: 4/5

Reward: 25 [PER]

[Creationist] Weapon creation

Produce 10 weapons with at least a quality score of 1.

 

Type: Continuous 1/10

 

Status: 1/10

Reward: 1 [PER]

 

So is this how one raises their unlocked stat? Through doing all sorts of quests?

 

As I was looking over the quest information, I noticed 5 dwarves come up and began examining the results. Each dwarf was responsible for evaluating around 10 attendees. The dwarf on our side began his evaluations.

 

“Crap...Junk...Garbage...Barely passable...Why did ya even bother comin’?...Decent enough...My grandma who has neva smithed in her life can make better!...Horrible...Terrible!...” muttered the dwarf who suddenly came to the last person in the group, me.

 

My stomach began to tighten from nervousness…

 

“WHAT THE HELL IS THIS?!?!” shouted the dwarf.

 

“HEY RON! COME OVA HERE! I wana to show ya somethin’ ” added the dwarf as he shouted the other way.

 

… Could this be … “that” event? The one where my awesome skill leaves everyone speechless? I wonder in anticipation.

 

“What is it Sam?” said the other dwarf who came over.

 

“Look at this! Isn’t the best piece of junk you have ever seen?!?!” exclaimed the dwarf acting as my examiner, as he hands the dagger to the other dwarf.

 

“Ya are right! This is definitely the best crap I have seen in my entire life!” replied Ron.

 

“…” ... I wanted to say something but no words came out of my mouth…

 

“Come here guys and take a look at this!” announced Ron bringing in more examiners to look at my dagger.

 

From then on, a round of praises and insults began to fly in the same sentence. After being taken aback for a while I finally put together my resolve…

 

“Uhmm...S-So does this mean I pass or fail?” I ask the examiner Sam.

 

“Hmmm...” pondered the dwarf, then asked “What is ya’r [Blacksmithing] level missy?”

 

Just to be on the safe side…

 

“My [Blacksmithing] is at level 2...” I reply. In a soft hesitant voice.

 

“DON’T YOU DARE LIE TO ME MISSY! … I’VE BEEN A BLACKSMITH LONGER THAN YA BEEN ALIVE! I CAN TELL YA’R AT LEAST LEVEL 3!” he bellowed.

 

“Hii! S-Sorry!” I apologized in fright at the sudden outburst.

 

“I don’t know how in the world ya got ya’r [Blacksmithing] to level 3 and made somethin’ like this! Ya are definitely talented for ya’r age, but this here is all weird...It feels like ya have spent ya’r entire time leveling [Blacksmithing] by randomly hitting a piece of metal. For a copper dagger, it is perfect and at same time completely flawed! Like ya have neva seen a dagger in ya’r entire life and just tried makin’ something that looks like one, and at that ya got perfect marks!

 

Maybe ya should go for a [Sculptor] instead of a [Blacksmith]?” Sam questioned.

 

“S-So does that mean that I failed?” I asked while drooping my shoulders.

 

“Hmm...Here is what we will do...I shall let ya in as a temporary disciple, ya have until the next monthly selection to make a proper dagger. If ya can’t by then, ya will be forced out!” Sam responded.

 

And like that, I became a temporary disciple of the Blacksmithing Guild...

32