Volume 02: The things I must prepare (4)
969 5 25
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I woke up in the morning especially grouchy. Not only from remembering the things from yesterday, but also from the fact that I had nothing to smelt!

 

So I spent my time in bed grumbling about how unfair life is and how everyone is out to get me and such!

 

“psst… Steal some ore to smelt...no one will know...” muttered a small Shiro with horns on my shoulder.

 

Wah?

 

“Don’t listen to her!” muttered a Shiro with a halo and angelic wings on my other shoulder. “...stealing is wrong! Commit genocide of the humans and dogkin instead!” she added.

 

“Ha? Aren’t you my angelic half? How can you say such cruel things?” I question.

 

“That is right, I am your angelic half. Good and Evil is decided by each individual, in history genocide has been done plenty of times for the greater good!” explained my angelic self.

 

“GUH! All this stress is driving me crazy!” I scream in the room that was luckily empty.

 

Since I woke up a bit late, it did not take long for breakfast to come. So I put my daydreaming delusions aside, and went to get some chow. Hoping to get my mind off things such a distraction, only to suffer some more with a reminder of how bad the food was!

 

And from there, I headed out of the city. Since there was no need to stop by the Adventurers Guild for a repeatable quest after all. I usually do stop by to see if there is any new quests and such, but I wasn’t in the mood for going there in the morning...

 

Personally... I wanted to vent some stress killing things, and part of me wanted to go hunt a [Dire Wolf] due to their “similarity” with a certain someone. But good thing the voice of reason stopped me, cause I’d probably end up getting myself killed.

 

* sigh *

 

I calm myself down and proceed with the task at hand, which is looking for [Dire Foxes] and herbs.

 

It takes me about an hour to locate a [Dire Fox] this time around, it was level 9. I decide to use the same strategy I used last time of letting it notice me, then wait for it to attack me. It seems to have the least risk of messing up. As before the [Dire Fox] runs away, only to sneak up behind me and attempt to attack from behind. Of course that is what I was waiting for, as I repeat my maneuver of [Charge], then with [All-Observing-Eyes] stab it in the eye with my combination of my 3 skills!

 

The [Dire Fox] smashed into the floor from the impact.

 

[Critical Hit] You have dealt 248 damage to the [Dire Fox]!

 

Darn! In my rage my attack was shallow!

 

The [Dire Fox] slowly gets up and begins glaring at me…

 

* grrrrrrrr *

 

I calm myself down and grab a rock, hurling it at the [Dire Fox] with my [Throw] skill. Which it quickly dodges to the side. I use this opportunity to approach it from its newly created blind side and stab it in the neck, finishing it off.

 

[Critical Hit] You have dealt 162 damage to the [Dire Fox]!

 

This is really unacceptable… I can’t let my emotions cloud my judgment during battle... It was good that the enemy was weak and my mess up was minor. But in a situation where I am fighting something of equal strength or stronger, I am just asking for a death wish...

 

I disassemble the [Dire Fox] and spend the next 3 hours just looking for herbs and cooling myself off.

 

After I feel like I have cooled off, I again begin to look for [Dire Foxes]. And it takes me only 5 minutes to find one this time around since I was already keeping track of monsters.

 

This [DireFox] was level 7. I used my usual strategy of letting it run away, then when it attacked me from behind, I finish it off with one precise attack!

 

[Critical Hit] You have dealt 370 damage to the [Dire Fox]!

 

Dead in one strike, as it should be! I finish disassembling it in only 10 minutes and move on.

 

Now that I am convinced I got my groove back in, I resume searching for the last [Dire Fox]. Even though I don’t have enough space in my [Item Box] for the whole thing. If I forgo some of the meat, I can fit it in.

 

In about half an hour, I spot my last prey! This [Dire Fox] was level 10!

 

Like last time, I let the [Dire Fox] notice me, and run into the bushes. Then as it sneaks up on me and attacks, I turn around and…

 

You have taken 36 damage.

Your skill [RA][Sprint] has become Level 3

 

“Wha?!”

 

The [Dire Fox] was apparently faster than I initially thought… for reasons I found quickly apparent. It tackled me to the ground and began sinking its teeth into my neck!

 

You have taken 62 damage.

 

I tightly grip my dagger and start desperately stabbing the [Dire Fox]! While I can’t use [Thrust] or [Impale] like this, [Penetrate] is still going strong. I even activate [Berserk] in desperation. Though I do resist the urge to use [All-Observing-Eyes][Overload].

 

You have dealt 92 damage to the [Dire Fox]!

You have dealt 103 damage to the [Dire Fox]!

You have taken 83 damage.

You have dealt 117 damage to the [Dire Fox]!

You have dealt 115 damage to the [Dire Fox]!

 

Only then did it finally stop moving...

 

“Wheh...that was close...” I exclaim.

 

If it wasn’t for my helmet providing protection to my neck...I’d probably be dead…

 

Today has been one of the crappiest days in a long time...I really need something to make my day... cause things are just looking too grim…

 

 

 

 

Level up!

Enlightened Race: +1 in all unlocked attributes +1 free attribute +20 HP +10 Stamina +10 Mental

Beastkin: +2 STR +2 VIT +1 AGI

Catkin: +2 AGI +1 DEX

 

Mr. Level up-san! How I missed you!

 

You always know how to brighten my day!

 

Speaking of brightening my day...Isn’t this the perfect opportunity to try “that”?

 

I think of the incantation as words flow through my mind, which takes quite a while. But when it finishes I then shout out!

 

“[Light Magic: Holy Light]!”

 

A warm light envelops me, recovering my health.

 

You have recovered 19 damage.

 

Though at same time a headache assaults me taking a toll on my [Mental]. It wasn’t to the point where I would faint, but it would definitely be a demerit during actual combat. Luckily after about 5 minutes though the headache was quickly gone.

 

Overall, I put about 10 MP into it. I could have probably put in all 15 MP, but I don’t know if this would has something like when your MP hits 0, you fall unconscious or something like that. Which would be pretty much guaranteed death in this forest. I should probably test that in a safer environment...

 

I should also probably visit that church again and see if I can get any more spells or levels...err...I mean give my thanks…

 

I proceed to disassemble the last fox, and leave out the less expensive parts of the [Dire Fox Meat]. Once done, I proceed to collect herbs again while avoiding monsters.

 

In total, by end of the day I managed to collect 11 herbs. So I keep 1 [Dire Milkweed] for my [Alchemy] and head to the guild to do my cash in. Personally, I don’t want to meet that dogkin again, but since I’m gonna get paid, I’ll tolerate it to some extent.

 

I arrive at the counter and after waiting in a short line place the materials there.

 

“Lets see, that would be 35 iron coins for the herbs, plus 10 iron coins from the quest for a total of 45 iron coins. For the [Dire Fox Meat] that would be 15 iron coins. And lastly for the [Dire Fox Pelts], I can give you 40 iron coins for the two of the pelts, but the last one is a bit damaged, so it will be 17 iron coins. Lastly it will be 1 silver coin for the quest reward. The total sum ends up 2 silver and 17 iron coins” the dogkin announces.

 

Despicable dogkin trying to cheat me out of my just rewards! Though instead of making a futile argument, I place my hand on the orb and claim my coins obediently.

 

Now my total savings is almost at 5 silver coins! It isn’t much, but I am getting there step by step.

 

This time around, I am going to do a slight change to my schedule. I walk to the request board to look for the quest I was looking for. Specifically the Rank G quest [Help: Clean the Church]. The payout is only a measly 1 iron coin. From what I’ve seen, this quest has been mostly taken by beastkin who recently escaped to help pay for their food till they get something more permanent.

 

This quest is also a continuous quest. But unlike other continuous quests, there is a limit of how many people can accept the quest. So I mark myself down for tomorrow morning.

 

My motives? As pure as a white cat!

 

Once that is done, I head back to the Blacksmithing Guild. Before going to sleep, I played around a bit with lowering my mana pool to see the result. I did not attempt to try 0 MP since you never know, that could be instant death for all I know… But I tried getting it down to around 1 MP and the result seems to be similar to be a larger strain on my [Mental] and that is about it. With the knowledge, I go off to nap.

 

...

 

The next day, the first thing I do when waking up is head for the Church. From my understanding, I need to help for a minimum 3 hours to receive my commission. I arrive at the back entrance of the church where we were told to gather in the request. Standing there is a boy dogkin and a girl bunnykin, both are slightly older than me by about a year or 2.

 

“Hey, I am Rex, you must be new around...a retard?” the dogkin exclaimed after he gets closer.

 

!?!??!?!?! GUH!! Did I ever mention I hate dogkin?

 

“Let me make this clear right here and now! I am not a retard! If you say that one more time, I will freakin’ [Slice] off your tongue!” I bellow while glaring daggers at him. I might or might not be pointing a real dagger at him as well, but who worries about such minor unrelated details...

 

“Hii!?!?” exclaimed Rex in surprise.

 

I am higher level than them and I will probably never meet them again, I have no reason to tolerate their BS! Maybe the fastest way to get what I want is to cut him up a bit, then wait for the priest to come and heal him * evil grin *

 

Ugh! What the hell is wrong with me...it feels like this world is making me into a psychopath day by day.

 

I calm myself down and wait for whoever issued the request a distance away from the other two beastkin.

 

Shortly after, a Nun came by, though unlike Kesha, she was far older.

 

“You are all here I see. For those that don’t know, I am Nun Lina. I will be in charge of overseeing your work. Rex, you will be in charge of cleaning this back yard. Alexa, you will help with the laundry. And what is your name little one?” asked Nun Lina.

 

“My name is Shiro” I reply.

 

“Shiro then, you will help with washing the hallways. The water is available at the well, and the towels you need are located over by the shed to the right” said Nun Lina pointing at the shed.

 

“Okay! No problem” I exclaim and head to get the stuff I need in the shed.

 

I take a towel, then a basket and go to the well. After I pull up some water, I began cleaning the hallways as instructed.

 

Of course I have another agenda, the first one is scouting! As I wash the hallways, I use [Smell Sense] and [Presence Sense] in hopes of locating the priest. I go from room to room where I sense something to see if I can locate him. But so far no luck…

 

“So you must be new here” exclaimed a childish voice from behind.

 

I turn around and see a well dressed boy same age as me.

 

“Uhm… yes, I picked up a Rank G quest at the Adventurers Guild and today is my first day...” I reply, then thinking it as an opportunity “By the way, do you happen to know where the priest is?” I add.

 

“The priest is away for today and will not be back till end of the day. By the way, for your information I am Anderson, the great disciple of the priest!” announced the boy in a proud matter-of-fact tone.

 

Darn! Just my luck! Wait...hmm...maybe I can use this…

 

“By disciple of the priest, do you mean that you can use magic?” I inquire in curiosity.

 

“Of course I can! ... [Light Magic: Light]! Aren’t I awesome?” exclaimed Anderson excitedly as a ball of light appeared and hovered over his head.

 

You have acquired a new sub-skill [NA][Light Magic: Light] Level 1

 

More than you know it sucker! Though why didn’t I get level 2? Is it because he lacks the proper level? Lets see if I can extract some more information…

 

“That is amazing! What level is your [Light Magic]?” I question pretending to be thrilled. Well, actually I am thrilled, but for a different reason then he thinks.

 

“Uhm...for now my [Light Magic] is still at Level 1, but it shouldn’t take long to reach level 2. I am already half way there!” bragged Anderson.

 

“What do you mean half way there?” I ask by reflex.

 

“Ah, you don’t know ha? I am a genius so I already have 5 spells levels right now, I just need to learn or gain 5 more spell levels to unlock level 2. Though for someone great like me, that is a piece of cake! Hahahaha” laughed Anderson.

 

So far so good!

 

“That is really amazing! What spells do you know and what level are they at?” I probe.

 

“I know right! My [Light] spell is at Level 2, I also have [Healing Touch] at level 1 and [Cure] at level 1. On top of that I even have [Blessing of the Sun] at level 1! One day, you can brag that you talked to someone as great as me!” gloated Anderson.

 

Hmmm...[Cure] is a bit difficult due to no valid target, [Healing Touch] probably overlaps a bit with [Holy Light]. But I should definitely get this [Blessing of the Sun].

 

“Super duper amazing! By the way, what does [Blessing of the Sun] do?” I inquire.

 

“I’ll have you know that [Blessing of the Sun] is one of the hardest level 1 spells to learn! It raises your stats as long as are in direct contact with sunlight” explained Anderson.

 

Interesting… I need to buy some time so lets change the topic for a while.

 

“By the way, I am new to this town, can you tell me what deity this Church worships?” I ask.

 

“You don’t know even that? This is the great Church that worships the [Divine Dungeon]! Initially my family belonged to Dragon God religion, but after it was found out I had talent in [Holy Magic], I was taken in as a disciple here! When I was 3 years old ...” Anderson rambled on.

 

Wow...he is like one of those NPCs...you ask one question and he brings out the whole life story...Not that I am complaining despite what he says goes out one ear and out the other…I mean seriously… he makes it sound like him walking down the street is the 2nd coming of god or something…

 

“… are you listening?” Anderson questioned.

 

“...Uhm...Yes! It sounds super awesome! By the way, can you demonstrate the amazingly difficult to learn [Blessing of the Sun]? I’ve never seen anyone good enough to cast it before!” I insist.

 

“Sure! No problem! Let me demonstrate my great skills! Just stand by the window over there” points Anderson.

 

I do as instructed and stand in the sun by the window.

 

“[Light Magic: Blessing of the Sun]!” he exclaimed.

 

You have received the [Light Magic: Blessing of the Sun]!

 

+1 to all unlocked attributes while under direct sunlight for 1 hour

You have acquired a new sub-skill [NA][Light Magic: Blessing of the Sun] Level 1

 

Way too easy! He is like a spell pinata! The more you tug at him, the more spells come out! Too bad he is only at level 1 though...

 

Regardless, I should steal as many spells as I can. I was hoping for an offensive spell though…

 

“Anderson! Are you disrupting the temporary workers again? You have your own duties to attend to as well, are you finished?!?!” bellowed a voice from behind.

 

“Hii?!?!” squealed Anderson and ran.

 

Turning around I saw Nun Lina heading down the hallway.

 

“Tche! It was going so well...” I mutter silently.

 

Lina then came over and faced me.

 

“Sorry about that, that boy likes to brag about himself way too much. Due to being brought here, he has doesn’t really have many people to talk to his age. If he bothers you again, just tell me and I’ll set him straight” Nun Lina said.

 

“It was no trouble at all, I’ll get back to my duties now if you excuse me” I reply as I head down the hallway.

 

Since it does not seem like the priest is going to be here today, lets speed things up a notch! Using my extra stats from [SPD] and [END], then pick up the pace cleaning the hallways. It took me only an hour and a half to clean all the hallways.

 

After I finish, I head back to see Nun Lina.

 

“I finished!” I exclaim.

 

“Already?” asked Nun Lina in astonishment.

 

“Yup! Feel free to check” I confirm.

 

She walks around the hallways inspecting here and there, then returns.

 

“I am surprised you finished so quickly... Normally, the minimum required time is 3 hours, but I don’t really have much else for you to do. So I guess I’ll count it as a complete for today. Here is your 1 iron coin and a slip to claim completion from the guild” said Nun Lina while handing over the reward.

 

“Thank you very much!” I exclaim, and head out of the Church, after spending that 1 iron coin I got on some meat skewers for breakfast. I again leave the city towards the forest.

25