Volume 02: Contending for my brighter future (2)
969 5 30
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

When I woke up the next day, I wallowed in bed a bit till it was breakfast since I had nothing to do really. And after breakfast, I headed out.

 

My first order of business is the leather goods shop. When I visited at first, I got discouraged due to all kinds of circumstances, but this time around I have a bit of an idea now that I thought about it better. Of course there will be a price to pay, but it should be worth it in the end.

 

It does not take me long to reach the leather goods shop due to its close proximity and I enter through the door.

 

“Hello there missy, we meet again. How may I help ya?” asked the dwarf at the counter.

 

“Hi, I am interested in a pair of leather boots that preferably increase [AGI] and fit my size” I request.

 

“Hmm… We do not have anythin’ that fits ya’r size in stock, but dependin’ on the material, I can modify it to fit ya. The cheapest leather boots we offer that give stats like [AGI] costs 3 silver coins. There would be a 2 silver coins cost to modify them to ya’r size though” informed the dwarf.

 

WHA?!?! Talk about highway robbery! That is like half my savings! Lets see if I can bargain it down at least a bit…

 

“Would it be possible to make it a tad cheaper?” I plead.

 

* sigh * The prices are already pretty low missy. At best, I can lower the price by 50 iron coins, and that would come out of my share at fixin’ up ya’r boots” replied the dwarf.

 

I guess I have no choice… it still feels kind of frustrating working so hard to make that money only for it to be taken like that…

 

“...I’ll take it then...” I relent.

 

I hand over the 4 silver and 50 iron coins with hesitation.

 

“Follow me to the back so we can do sizin’ ” said the dwarf after taking the money.

 

He picks up a pair of leather boots and leads me to the back. He then measures my feet and begins modifying the boots.

 

You have acquired a new skill [NP][Leatherworking] Level 1

 

Finally! Now lets see if I can find out what the limits are…

 

“You seem to be really skilled mister… Just out of curiosity, what is your [Leatherworking] level if you don’t mind me asking?” I inquire.

 

“Thanks for the complement missy, but I am not really that good. My [Leatherworking] is only at level 2… I used to be a disciple at the Hunter’s Guild making leather, but due to lack of talent, I never managed to make it past Junior Disciple. Since I was not able to succeed in my trade, by contract I was instead assigned to work as a store clerk here in this branch office. Initially it was goin’ to be only for a year, but I ended up stayin’ here and making a livin’. I am already past the age of chasin’ other dreams after all” explained the dwarf.

 

“I see...” I respond awkwardly, not knowing what else to say.

 

Your skill [NP][Leatherworking] has become Level 2

 

Soon after he was done with my boots and fitted them on my feet.

 

“That should do it missy” said the dwarf.

 

“Thanks a bunch mister!” I exclaim as I try walking around in the boots to check for comfort.

 

Dire Fox Leather Boot of Agility

An average boot made out of dire fox leather modified to fit for children

 

+1 AGI +2 DEF

Durability: 25/25
Quality 5.2311/10.0000

 

To be honest, hardly impressive...but in comparison to walking with my ragged shoes, it was the difference between heaven and earth!

 

Later on, I will plate them with bronze and give it some real stats!

 

Overall, I am pretty satisfied… well other than paying half my savings that is!

 

I say goodbye to the dwarf in the leather goods store and head out.

 

Next order of business… darn these boots are comfy… err… anyways, next I am going to try heading to the second hand clothing store.

 

While unlikely, maybe there is someone who knows tailoring and can do modifications as well…

 

I walk into the second hand clothing store and notice it is run by a human… grrr…

 

“How may I help you?” asked the lady at the store.

 

“I-I’m interested if t-there is any shirts m-my size that g-give [STR] stat” I inquired.

 

“Hmm… we have things that fit your size… but nothing that gives stats… If it is a really low level item though we may be able to do something...” the lady informed.

 

“L-like what?” I probed.

 

“Well… give me a second… Tanya! Come down here!” yelled the lady.

 

Soon after, I hear noises running from the top floor, and a catkin girl who is about 1 year older than me with brownish orange hair runs in.

 

“What is it?!?!” the catgirl asked, then looked at me “...A retard?” she adds.

 

“?!”

 

* smack *

 

The shop owner lady smacked the catkin girl right in the head quicker than I could even react.

 

“You’re in front of a customer! I’ll have you behave!” screamed the lady.

 

“But she.. Ugh! Fine what should I do?” relents the catkin after being glared at by the shop owner.

 

“The customer here wants an item that gives [STR] stat that fits her size, can you do it?” the lady questioned.

 

“...uhm… if it is something like this, I may be able to pull it off but it will probably lose some quality and durability in the process, since my [Tailoring] skill is only at level 1” the catkin responded while picking up a used black shirt.

 

“How much would that be?” I inquired.

 

“That shirt would cost about 75 iron coins, as for the cost to resize it… Tanya?” the lady asked.

 

“For something like that, I guess about 25 iron coins would do?” Tanya answered.

 

Hmm… to be honest I don’t really need a shirt too much as far as necessities go… but it would be nice to have some spare clothes while at same time getting that [Tailoring] skill…

 

“Alright, I’ll take it” I replied as I take out 1 silver coin and hand it to the lady.

 

“Yey~! A customer! Come with me~!” exclaimed the catkin in excitement.

 

We went upstairs into the upper room which was loaded with supplies, and she began taking my measurements. Then with that done, she started making adjustments to the shirt I just bought.

 

When she notices I am paying careful attention she turns toward me.

 

“If you are trying to learn some tailoring while watching, I would give up~ ...It took me years just to get where I am today~” she warns in a merry mood.

 

You have acquired a new skill [NP][Tailoring] Level 1

 

Congratulations! You have completed the class quest [Creationist: Improve your production skills]

+25 PER has been attained

 

Class quest [Creationist: Improve your production skills], has been reset.

 

It does not seem like there is a huge boost for passing 200 PER… Oh well, my skills still improved quite a bit due to the bonuses of class based skills.

 

“You don’t say… Though I was wondering, why did you even pick up tailoring in the first place? I don’t often see beastkin doing production based jobs after all” I inquired.

 

“Oh~, that simple~! I just love playing with yarn~!” she proudly declared with a wide smile.

 

“...”

 

Being left speechless, I didn’t say anything after that and waited patiently till it was done…

 

The final result was less than spectacular but within expectations…

 

Black Linen Shirt of Strength

slightly below average shirt made out of linen, dyed blacked and modified to fit for children

 

+1 STR

Durability: 9/12
Quality 4.4278/10.0000

 

The reason I went for [STR] this time around instead of [AGI] is that I don’t expect to use this in combat much, as I plan to eventually make actual body armor for combat. But making body armor requires quite a bunch of ingots, so it may have to wait. The +1 STR may not be much, negligible even, but every bit helps smithing steel which is far harder than iron.

 

After thanking Tanya who went to play with the yarn after finishing and thanking the shop owner. I left the the second hand clothing shop. I would have liked to get a full change of clothes really, but I can’t waste money just yet. I just have to hold on for a little bit longer... Regardless, having a change of a shirt in itself is already a plus. Not too thrilled about it being second hand, but beggars can’t be choosers.

 

Now then… I have two more methods to get more production skills as far as I am aware. There is the tailor shop which is a bit tricky, and the other one is to see if the Builders Guild has anything to offer that I may have missed during the selections. Maybe something like [Sculpting] or etc… I am a bit worried about trying my luck at the tailor shop so lets see if I can get anything at the Builders Guild.

 

I walk to the Builders Guild and walk up to the elf receptionist.

 

“Hello, I was interested in the Builders Guild and was wondering. What skills does the Builders Guild encompass?” I inquired.

 

“The Builders Guild main focus is [Carpentry] and [Stonemasonry], though we do have people who do [Blacksmithing], [Mechanical Engineering] and [Sculpting] to some extent. Of course, if you are interested just in joining, we have positions that do not require any skills. Though it might be somewhat difficult for someone of your build” the elf receptionist informed.

 

Hmmm… I guess no new production skills, but I should learn a bit more about [Sculpting] and [Mechanical Engineering]

 

“So what level [Sculpting] and [Mechanical Engineering] are there in the Builders Guild” I question.

 

“Well… We are not exactly specialized in those skills in particular. Probably at best level 1 or 2. Anyone with higher [Sculpting] would probably open up their own art shop like the one in the west district. As far as [Mechanical Engineering] goes, it’s kind of a niche profession around these parts, as most mechanical engineers are located within a few key locations, this town though isn’t one of them. The mechanical engineers we get tend to be ones lacking in talent and looking for other things to do” responded the receptionist.

 

I see… an art shop in the west district ha…

 

“Can I get directions to the art shop?” I asked.

 

“If you plan on going, I would advise against it. The shops in the western district are pretty strict and don’t allow anyone poorly dressed to enter their shops” warned the receptionist.

 

“I see… thanks for the tip, I’ll keep that in mind” I said and made my way out of the guild.

 

Next, I go again to the west wall to double check to see if I missed anyone with a higher level skill. But unfortunately even after an hour of waiting, no such luck.

 

Which leaves me with last plan for the day, that personally I wanted to avoid but have no choice. I walk towards the tailor shop.

 

Though this time around, I do not actually go into the shop but linger a distance away waiting.

 

Only after about 2 hours of patience did what I was waiting for happen. A man wearing fancy clothing walked into the tailor shop.

 

I quickly sneaked up behind him and once in the shop, I quickly activated [Blend Stealth]!

 

“Good day madam, I am looking to buy a birthday dress for my daughter” said the man.

 

“Why if it isn’t mister Raymon, I would be glad to help you with your selection. I’ll bring out some dresses for you to see in a moment” said the woman at the counter as she walked to the back.

Talk about unfair treatment…

 

Of course I was spending this time looking at the other woman at the corner who was spinning the thread.

 

Your skill [NP][Thread Weaving] has become Level 3

 

In a few minutes, she then came out with multiple beautiful dresses in hand. Grr… I am not jealous at all...

 

“Here we have a fine selection of dresses which are of the finest quality. They should match your daughter in both fit and color I assure. Personally I suggest this one, which is a new style from the capital” said the woman at the counter while showing off the dresses.

 

okay, maybe a little...

 

Your skill [NP][Thread Weaving] has become Level 4

 

They continued to chat about the dresses here and there and time continued to pass. It seemed that level 4 was the limit here. My guess is the one spinning the thread is probably an apprentice or something? And I can’t exactly get the shop owner to spin some thread or do some tailoring as I am now.

 

There is only one problem… how do I leave… I really want to just quickly open the door and [Charge] out, but I don’t want people to assume I shoplifted or something…

 

After waiting another few minutes, the man decided on a dress and the shop owner went inside to put the others away. Using the opportunity, I quickly opened the door and walked out. The man was caught somewhat off guard, but it should be fine. I was a bit worried back there…

 

Either way, my goal has been accomplished, so I head back to the Blacksmithing Guild to retire for the day… Did I mention how comfy these boots are?

 

30