Volume 01: A new path forward in the darkness (1)
1.4k 2 31
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

If there is one thing I realized from this event is that I can’t keep going on this way. As things are, I am going to die 100%. I don’t think this is the first time they used beastkin as bait.

 

My original plan was to stay under the radar and find an opportunity to escape, but as things are going I am going to end up dead before that time comes. So there are 2 options for me. First option is I can increase my value and get them to invest resources into my benefit, while not revealing all cards and use that to make my escape. Or raise my benefits just enough that they won’t use me as bait but still stay under the radar overall. Both choices have their ups and downs.

 

The first choice has benefits as it gets me protection from strong people while I increase my strength. But the downside is that I would have to reveal my abilities. The chances of getting out would also be slim because I know very little about this world, so them tricking me is more likely then me tricking them. I can literally end up a slave for my entire life. Which I definitely do not want!

The second option benefits is that I can gain some advantages while at same time not revealing my cards. That said there is the risks that they would get suspicious or use me as secondary bait. I really don’t have enough information…

 

Hmmm...wait a second...right now we are heading back to base and the master is not here. Isn’t this a perfect opportunity to collect some information? Particularly, I am interested in the situation of the dogkin. Why didn’t they use them as bait like the rest? And they also got more food during breakfast too... I also want to figure out how levels in this world work. Hopefully they are more talkative then Amber…

 

The problem is...everyone’s mood is pretty down...It feels kind of awkward to start a conversion under these conditions...But I can’t afford to lament any longer, every second can mean the difference between life and death! The question is who do I ask…

 

I take a look around the members walking back to base. And decide to talk to the younger one of the catkin who is 11 years old and level 6. They are the youngest one of the group not counting the dogkin. And maybe as a fellow catkin things would go smoother.

 

I slowly walk up to her and say

 

“Hey..can I ask you something?”

 

She looks at me with a blank and tired expression and replies.

 

“What do you want...retard?”

 

WHA?!?!?!? Okay that started out right away on the wrong side of the road…

 

“I am not a retard! I am Shiro!” I somehow exclaim despite being extremely tired myself.

 

I thought the dogkin might be have a thing against catkin, you know the old dog vs cat rivalry. But this is absurd...even a fellow catkin is calling me a retard..what did I do?

 

“ye...ye...what do you need? I am beat make it quick...” she says.

 

I want to say a lot of things and get to the bottom of this. But right now the most important thing is getting the information I need to live.

 

“I was wondering why we were all used as bait while the dogkin were excluded?” I inquire.

 

sigh * “...you really are a retard if you don’t know the most basic things. Dogkin start out with a racial of [Smell Sense] at level 3. Which means they are useful for tracking monsters and also for gathering herbs. Since they have value, no one is going to use a dogkin as bait. Especially since Catkin, Foxkin and Bunnykin are faster. So they use us as bait. If you were thinking something stupid like I have [Smell Sense] too so I can do just as good a job. I suggest you give up on it while you are ahead retard, the difference between Level 1 and 3 is huge. Anyways..if you are done...leave me alone...” she responds.

 

GUH! Again with the retard thing...They don’t even know me and they call me retard...But again I need to control myself and focus on the real questions I want to ask. I can take a few insults if it means staying alive. Since they already thinks very little of me, might as well go for broke and ask “that” question. I have a feeling I’ll regret it but what is the worst that can happen?

 

“One more question please!...how does one level up without fighting?” I ask quickly.

 

“...”

 

As expected… but it was worth a shot …

 

“...retard” she murmurs.

 

...Well if she is not going to answer what I need I might as well get to the bottom of this! It is really irking me!

 

“Why do you keep calling me retard? What did I ever do to you? Call me by my name Shiro!” I exclaim.

 

“Isn’t it obvious? You are called a retard because you are a retard! Do I need to spell it out for you?” she responds.

 

I am really getting nowhere fast...while I was thinking that…

 

“What is going on back there? If you have the time to talk, move quicker back to base!” shouted the dogkin boy leading the group.

 

“Sorry Ryo! The retard wanted to know how someone levels up!” she yelled back.

 

* giggle * * giggle * * giggle * * giggle *

 

All around me I hear the beastkin trying to suppress their laughter…

 

Why do I keep jinxing myself...now I am certain everyone thinks I am a retard...I droop my shoulders in utter defeat.

 

Like this we make it back to base without me getting a proper answer.

 

But it was not all losses. I did get an answer to one of my most important questions. The fact that the dogkin are not being thrown away as bait is already offering me a way to improve my chance of survival. Of course I am not going to reveal that my [Smell Sense] is level 4. But I can pass it off as level 3 just fine. Maybe I can also get some extra herbs and sell them for money secretly. There is the whole [Order] thing, but I come from a society where everything is behind a legal binding contract. I am sure I can find a loophole given time.

 

After we arrive to the base and eat “lunch”, if one were to even call that lunch. I decide to put the plan to action. I am going to first try approaching that lead dogkin named Ryo. I know he does not think highly of me but if he says no, there is no loss. But if I piss off that middle aged man, he might use that [Punishment] thing. I instinctively get a cold sweat and shiver in fear.

 

Alright, begin “Operation: Secure moderate safety”. I walk up to Ryo and say.

 

“Ryo, I heard if you have [Smell Sense] Level 3. You can do herb gathering and tracking instead of being bait. Is that true?” I inquire.

 

He frowns and says “What of it?”

 

“I happen to have [Smell Sense] at Level 3!” I say in a proud voice.

 

“You don’t say...” he says in monotone pretty much ignoring me.

 

“You don’t believe me do you?!?! I can prove it if you want!” I exclaim.

 

* sigh * “Retard, I don’t know who put you up to this….actually...sure have it your way. If you want to gather herbs and act as a tracker all you need to do is see the boss” he replies in with a tired voice which changes mid way to a condescending one..

 

At that I freeze up for a bit and tremble.

 

“What’s wrong? I thought this is what you wanted?” he beckons.

 

I have a really really bad feeling about this…

 

He grabs my hand and drags me to see the middle age man then throws me there on the floor. The middle aged man is playing cards with his 2 companions and when he notices our presence he asks.

 

“What’s up Ryo?”

 

“This retard here says she has [Sense Smell] Level 3 and wants to be a tracker and collect herbs” he replies with a grin.

 

“Is that so~?” the middle aged man inquires in a playful tone.

 

I suddenly hear laughter coming from his companions...I really have a bad feeling about this…

 

“Hmmm...Since we made a killing on the [Hell Boar] subjugation and have some time to kill...why not...play a little game~? It is simple really...tomorrow you can go out with the other dogkin and gather herbs. Gather 15 herbs by end of the day, if not, not only will you starve that day, [Punishment] will be given.” he exclaimed.

 

I shrivel up at the word [Punishment]...I don’t ever want to feel that terrible pain again...But before that there is something important I need to say. I steel myself and reply.

 

“B-But...T-the d-dogkin only need t-ten...” with a shaken voice.

 

He lets out a villainous smile.

 

“You are a catkin though with a nose of a dogkin right~? So you should be able to gather herbs faster. Or are you saying you lied to your master..if so..then maybe some [Punishment] is in order...” he affirms.

 

I let out a cold sweat and tremble...this is so unfair! But before I voice out my protest I realize there is nothing I can do about it...I grind my teeth and reply.

 

“T-That is s-so unf...P-Please d-don’t p-punish me….I-I’ll do as y-you command m-master...I-I’ll gather 15 t-tomorrow..” with a frightened dejected voice.

 

“Very good!” he laughs “I’ll be looking forward to it. Ryo, tomorrow, show the retard what herbs it needs to look for. And assign another bait to look after them. We don’t want it dying on us while doing something stupid.” he adds.

 

“As you command boss!” he assents.

 

He then takes my wrist and drags me away. While we head back to the beastkin holding area, I hear the middle aged man and his companions beginning to bet on how badly they think I will fail…Good thing I didn’t say my [Smell Sense] was at level 4 or they might have said something crazy like “Your smelling is double that of an average dogkin? Then get me 20 herbs”. Then I’d be totally screwed…

 

Either way, I can’t afford to mess this up...anything but that [Punishment]...I shiver...But this is also an opportunity to get some freedom and find a loophole out!

 

31