Chapter 27: Disappearing into the Crowd – [Edited]
4.3k 9 150
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Numerous people walked around, some loudly conversing, others just quietly roaming around. I shifted my eyes towards the center of the plaza.

A fountain was built upon there, water rising and flowing down. At the top were statues of two figures, a man and a woman, intertwining fingers as they gazed at each other. I assume those were the two gods.

I saw children playing, couples sitting on the grass outside the pavement, and some were just standing around as though enjoying their surroundings.

Colorful flowers planted in different directions, the leaves of trees dancing in the gentle breeze as their shades underneath gave shielding from the warm sunlight. The peaceful and joyful atmosphere graced my presence.

A faint smile emerged from my pretty lips.

I went straight to the main attraction — the fountain. The clean water reflected my pretty face as I looked down.

A wind blew past, sending tiny trickles of water from the fountain towards me. But I didn’t mind, it wasn’t a big deal compared to this moment. I felt a sense of freedom…

“Are the other plazas the same as this one?” I asked Estevan.

“There are some differences.”

“I see.”

I took a deep breath, savoring the fresh air and the serenity of the moment. I looked around, then by the street, I saw a lot of people gathering in a single place. It appeared to be some store. I saw one person emerging from the crowd carrying what appears to be wooden souvenirs? They were in the form of a knight, and one was in the form of a bird.

I suppose they were called figurines. I should get one as a souvenir and remembrance. When I looked around some more, I noticed the group of adventurers again, taking a momentary rest to enjoy the view, I presume.

They were not that far from me, so I could faintly hear them.

“Sure is nice to have some peace and relax,” said the one in the light robe.

I casually looked around, so I wouldn’t be noticed as someone suspicious or anything. I’m already wearing a cloak, so that’s a small suspicious sign.

“You’re right, it's a pretty good place compared to dangerous forests where we could be suddenly attacked,” a man’s voice said.

Their voices were a little rough to hear and blended with the surrounding noise, but I’ll manage.

“By the way,” said another man. “You didn’t forget we’ll need to buy you a knife, right?”

“Oh yeah,” said the girl. “Guess we’ll go to the smiths then before leaving the city.”

“I might also buy one for me,” said another girl.

“Then shall we go?” asked a man.

“A moment.”

The smiths!

Finally! Someone that could lead me to one.

“Estelia, you alright?”

“Oh yes, I was only admiring the view.”

The adventurers were about to leave, I needed to find a way to get rid of Estevan. I couldn’t let him see me buy daggers after all. He’ll just refuse. Worse, he might get confused and suspicious of me if I just desired and bought daggers out of the blue.

I quickly thought hard and recalled my surroundings. There must be something that would be useful. Then...

I had an idea.

“Brother. Let’s go there.”

I pulled him by the sleeve and pointed towards the souvenir shop. That will be the place where I will lose him.

“Oh? There?”

“Yes, I saw some wooden works, is that what they sell there?” I asked as we walked towards the store.

I sneaked a glance to my back, and the adventurers were already leaving. Heading towards due north.

Tch.

I conjured the map from my memories in my head, then added the direction the adventurers were heading. All of those and I made predictions on which road they would be taking. However, this would only be good at the first moment. Any longer and I will lose them.

I was not personally familiar with the city. So it was another variable that may result in my failure. Better hasten up.

“Indeed, figurines. Quite an impressive work I should say. Locals and tourists commonly visit it, as you can see,” my brother explained.

With rushed steps, we now stood behind the crowd. I looked around, there was also a crowd that kept passing by us, this number of people will be required.

“I want some. They look interesting.”

I said to Estevan while looking him in the eyes.

“In that case, we’ll grab some. Come on.”

I froze as I reluctantly glanced at the crowd.

“Um… there’s too many people,” I said with a shaky voice and frightened eyes. 

I was a sheltered princess. Therefore, it should only be expected that I would be very anxious when surrounded by numerous strangers, and commoners at that. They were different from the people of the palace.

Also, the amount of people here was not the same as the places we visited earlier. It wouldn’t be strange that I would be reluctant now.

“... I see.”

“Then what about you buying some for me? I don’t want the stocks to run out on me.”

“But—”

“I’ll be fine. There’s no need to worry. I can take care of myself if I just stay here. That’s fine, right?”

He looked around with wary eyes.

“I suppose.”

“Then please hurry, there's still more people coming.”

I pushed him forward, urging him to hurry up.

“... Alright, very well. Be careful here, okay?”

“Certainly.”

“I’ll be back in a moment. Ah, what do you want precisely?”

“Hm, I don’t know really, just something that looks cute!”

He chucked. “Alright. I’ll hurry.”

He separated from me and squeezed through the crowd. Slowly, many obstacles had begun to take him away from my view.

I’m so sorry about this, dear brother. I’m sure my actions will put you in a tight spot...

As he entered within a few more, I made my move. He was a knight, and I’m sure I had to be extra careful, I must leave no trace in my movement.

I stepped back several times. My steps were completely silent, devoid of all sounds, light, gentle, and agile as I disappeared into the crowd.

150