Chapter 28: Precious Daggers (Part 1) – [Edited]
4.2k 14 147
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I blended into the crowd as I went to follow the group of adventurers. I’m now getting farther away from my brother, and he didn’t seem to notice my disappearance. Good. 

I rushed my steps as I headed to the direction the adventurers were heading.

I wasn’t able to find them immediately. So I frantically searched for them, scanning my surroundings, looking towards every turn. I was hoping that them being a group, walking through the crowds would slow them a bit.

My targets should be around here somewhere.

When I looked at the road to the left, I smirked. There the group of adventurers were. They were chatting happily as they walked together. I promptly tailed them from a distance, best not to get close.

I walked along the street casually, as though taking a stroll. But I feel I was looking a bit suspicious because of me hidden by my cloak. But come on! There were literally people bearing weapons, what makes me more suspicious than them?

That said, there were a pair of soldiers patrolling, but they didn’t seem to mind me. Back in my world, in cities or places with securities, you would stand out, and standing out around authorities was never good. But here, nope. Maybe cloak wearing people were common here against my initial thoughts.

Oh well, works for me.

There were a few spots that caught my eyes, but I have priorities at the moment. And once this was done, I had to return to my brother immediately. He could be freaking out at any moment. I don’t want it to get worse. If it ends up that way, he might send the knights to find me, putting the palace into disarray.

Better hurry. I was hoping we were getting closer to the smith shop.

Shortly after, the group stopped in front of the building and entered. It was a fairly large shop.

After waiting a minute, I approached closer and looked up to read the sign. On it was an illustration of a sword and shield, and the name written was Hats Smithings.

This must be it. I found the place earlier than expected, cool. I glanced through the window and saw swords, axes, and a variety of weapons displayed.

I could wait until the adventurers go out of the store, but that would take long. I’m working on a time limit here.

And thus I entered the shop. Swords were placed into several racks all over the place, long and short. By the walls were spears, axes, and simple knives. Then up the front, behind the counter, was what seemed to be the owner. Behind him were also weapons hung up on the wall. However, they appeared to be more finely made than the others.

As I casually looked around the place, a couple of men from the adventurers, who I followed, glanced at me.

I paid them no heed.

“May I suggest this then?”

A woman’s voice said to the rest of the adventurers as she showed them a knife. Perhaps she was the wife of the one I presumed to be the owner slash blacksmith. They were busy with their own shopping, it seems.

“This looks fine. Try it out.”

The adventurers’ attention turned away from me. I walked towards the counter, and I saw plenty of decent daggers displayed up front. I gleefully smiled within my heart.

“Hello there! Missy? Yes, you look like you’re a woman.”

The buff man called out to me in a friendly manner, he had short black hair and brown eyes.

“You’re new here, aren’t you?”

I furrowed my brows underneath my hood.

“You can tell?” I spoke roughly and a bit strongly, entirely different from my innocent and pure voice.

It would do me no good if I act all naive, and submissive. They might take advantage of me and scam me.

“Of course. I can tell who my usual customers are, and the way you acted, looking around just screams ‘this is new’.”

Tch, I was that easy to read? What a blunder.

I was a bit frustrated. However, giving the impression of being a new customer might have its own advantage. This would make shopping a bit easier.

“I see. Yes, it's the first time I entered this establishment.”

“Alright! A new customer! So how may I help you?”

I stepped closer and glanced at the daggers.

“Daggers. May I touch them and have a closer look?”

“Of course.” He grabbed the daggers and placed them atop of the table, presenting them to me. “There’re a variety of sizes.”

Indeed, there were small daggers which you could pin between your fingers with ease. Then there was, what I call, medium-sized that would be fine to use in knife throwing for me, but can still be used in hand to stab and slash. Then there were larger ones with longer blades. It would be hard to throw those and it won’t work for me.

I want the ones who wouldn’t obstruct my speed, and attack motions, while being able to quickly throw. And ultimately, those that I was comfortable with. I sort of wanted a butterfly knife, but the way I saw it, there was none. So perhaps there were no such things here yet.

As for the design, it was plain, but kinda decent. Still, it would be fine, the important thing was their function. That said, now that I was here, I sort of wanted to have one for the collection. An old habit of mine.

I grabbed the medium-sized dagger. Spun it adeptly into a reverse grip, then back. I slightly threw and spun it in the air, and caught it by the blade between my thumb and index finger. I threw it in the air again, letting it spin a couple of times, and caught it again by the blades as it descended.

Then spun it and grabbed it on the hilt.

“Hm, finely made.”

The weight was fine for me. The man nodded at me a few times with a proud smile.

“You’re skillful at using the daggers, huh?”

“You could say that.”

I waved the dagger in the air for a moment. Satisfied, I put it down and looked at the small daggers. They may be small, but they have their uses. Due to being light, they travel faster, depending on the strength I used to throw them. And less strain on my arm.

Also, due to their size, you wouldn’t easily catch them. But if I were to use one, I need to aim for a soft spot. In any case, it’s useful for a quick draw and quick kill.

I held one and tried it out. The handle was thin enough, fine for me. The blade and the hilt were balanced, in weight and size. The dagger was good.

As for the largest ones, I wouldn’t consider it.

“The weapons are good. But do you have darker shades?”

The daggers were in the color of steel, therefore, they were whitish, or grayish, and shiny, and would glimmer and glint in the presence of light, this color was too conspicuous. Darker colors would be preferable when hiding in the darkness.

“A darker color, huh? Sorry missy, don’t have those. But you could put in a custom order.”

That was a disappointment. “Is that so? Then how long will it finish?”

“If one of the smallest, then about a day, for the medium-sized, more than a day, Actually, depends on the demand. But since I have no orders yet, I might finish yours faster.”

No can do.

“I was planning to buy several. But in that case, it will take a few days, I suppose?”

“Hm. Yes, that is the case.”

“That is problematic.”

I can’t just go out of the palace again just after I went out. And it took opportunities to get here and lose my escort. They might get stricter with me in the future.

“No choice then... How much for the smallest?”

“That will be two silvers each.”

“The other one?”

“The medium is eight silver coins each.”

It was affordable. I have a lot of gold coins in hand, after all. Hehe, one of the perks of being a princess. I’m rich, baby!

“Perfect! Hm,” one problem left. “I need something to store these.” I looked at the corner where I saw some products earlier.

The owner realized what I was looking at.

“Ah yeah, you need something to store these, huh?”

I was looking at the sling bags hung in a corner. From the way I saw it, they were made of leather.

“Indeed. By the way, I will buy ten small daggers, and five mediums.”

“Woah, didn’t expect you to buy that many.”

“A lady has her needs.”

He laughed awkwardly. “Then you’re quite a unique lady then.”

“Hm. I will take one sling bag. Furthermore, I’ll have some sort of sheath for the daggers. You know, ones that are included in the belts or straps.”

If there were an easier way to obtain such things, I'd take it. And buying was one of the convenient methods. Plus, I don’t know how to make them. Perhaps I can a little bit, but it would be crude and might as well be trash. And finding materials would be hard.

“Of course, I was about to bring that up. We have belts and straps. Wait a sec.”

He took a few belts and straps made up of leather from the drawers. Hm, it gave me the impression they were of premium quality since they were kept in a safe place.

I did see some belts, but they were mostly designed for swords, and very few for daggers, and not that good looking. Perhaps not many buy things that I was to buy.

“Here ya go. It’s fine made, if I do say so myself. And I also brought the darker colored ones.”

Indeed, some may be dark brown, but there were black as well. Of course I immediately reached out for the black-colored belt and thigh straps. 

I nodded, content. Times may be rare that I would get to use the belt, but the thigh straps will be useful.

“Then I will be taking four straps and two belts.”

Won’t hurt to have a bit of extras.

He then totalled the amount of what I bought. Nothing problematic. I still have plenty to spare. 

Damn, being rich is nice.

I took some gold coins from my pouch, but didn't take out the pouch though just to be safe. I could tell which one was the gold because it was a little larger than the rest and had a different design.

At the same time, the adventurers seemed to have made their choice. I could hear them from the background.

“Finally, I can stab the bastards who get close to me.”

“Good for you. Let’s use that knife of yours for butchering some boars later. Of course, you’ll be the one doing the butchering, hahahaha!” a man teased.

“Uuuh, no way! It’s your job.”

Everyone either chuckled or laughed.

“There sure are a lot of good swords here. I’m buying when I save up some more,” another man said.

“Oh, which one’s you like the most?” asked a heavier voice.

“Well…”

And they went on talking about trivial things that I was not obligated to listen to. So I didn’t and looked at the weapons in front of me.

147