Vol. 2 Chapter 10: Friend from Childhood?
1.9k 5 68
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I exited Father’s office, intending to return to my usual chambers of study immediately because I want to think more about the situation. The side objective may have been satisfied after the ambush I devised encountered oppositions that I was hoping for, the main objective still failed.

Not everything was a wasted effort, but there sure were some wasted efforts. More than that, now I’m more troubled about the possible strength of my enemies. If one elf was able to face down that many priests that could be around the average strength of the knights, then I need to keep my guard up.

Dammit, this had me thinking if there was no magic, everything could have been handled a bit more easily. Physical abilities and raw skills were annoyingly rendered useless in the face of the might of magic. But it was such a normal thing in this world that it was nothing abnormal, maybe I’m still just feeling a bit shocked and apprehensive since I've used my entire life without magic.

Guns may be the equivalent to magic in my old world, however, they were not truly equal. Weapons such as guns, rockets, and such required materials and resources to create, then carrying them was necessary to use. Magic on the other hand was more convenient, you only needed to have mana inside you and practice spells, and you could have the potential to annihilate a normal squadron. Furthermore, you could basically scam everyone that you’re weak and have no ability, and in actuality, you secretly have the magical arsenal equivalent to a tank.

In conclusion, I like and dislike magic at the same time. But if I get more powerful than anyone, I’m sure I’ll like it the most.

The door was closed by Eleden who left with me. Eleden and I were the only two to leave the office since Estevan and Father needed to discuss how to deploy the knights, along with mother. I imagine they would also send common soldiers to patrol more into the city, maybe have a knight command each squad.

Also likely, they’ll be keeping the elites here in the palace for further security. I was planning to visit the knights, but I don’t know how that will end.

Eleden was also urged to rest for the time being after a long time of traveling. Besides, he will be briefed through the documents that will go through him. Estevan must be overjoyed that he wouldn’t be the one to oversee that.

“So, Estelia, where are you heading now?”

My brother spoke to me with a serious expression, he must still be thinking about what happened and what he had learned.

“Um, I will be returning to my magic study.”

“I see. You have become more diligent…”

Strange, why did he sound lamenting that I am acting diligently? In curiosity, I turned to look him in the eyes.

“Brother…?”

“Because of this, you must be forced to change drastically, and immediately….”

He patted my head gently, and so I stopped in my tracks as I looked up at him in puzzlement.

“Estelia, you may have already heard this, but I want to say it,” he faintly smiled. “You can rely on me, okay? I will help you whenever you need it.”

He moved forward slowly until I felt a soft kiss on my forehead.

After giving me a fond smile, he continued and I meekly followed a little behind him. Then we have arrived where my servants were, with them was Eleden’s own assistant.

“Prince Eleden, you already looked stressed, with all that wrinkles on your brows.”

That casual remark came from my brother’s assistant. A normal subordinate wasn’t supposed to interact this way with their superior, but he and Eleden were also close friends, it was no surprise either would interact casually, thus there was no need for reproach.

Mera on the other hand though looked pretty aghast. Well, she wasn’t that familiar with them.

“I came to learn of a new plight.”

“Figures. It isn’t usually a good sign if the entire royal family gathers in the King’s work office and has all servants out.”

His carefree eyes then turned to look at me while a playful smirk formed on his lips. He then proceeded to bow gallantly after taking a step forward.

“Greetings, O esteemed princess, it has been a while. Did you miss me?”

Ah, now I remember how he always tried to talk to me constantly in the past, even when we were young. Even though I never approached him, and would always ignore him, he still wouldn’t stop bothering me. I just wanted some peace and quiet. I guess it was good to talk? But still, being pushy was annoying.

“L-Lucious… Hi.”

“Hehehe, still the same treatment, huh. Sometimes you’re being distant, Estelia.”

Wow, he just called me without my title, now he had to unknowingly receive a glare from Mera behind him. This wasn’t exactly a formal setting, so I guess it’s fine to be casual. But I guess that wasn't a good enough reason for Mera, was she not aware perhaps of our long-time “relationship”? The relationship where we’re friends and not exactly friends since I don’t exactly go interact with him but he was always approaching me.

But I guess if we hung out often with my brothers in the past, we’re somewhat friends? But not childhood friends since not exactly very close….?

Fuck, what even is friendship? Heh.

I guess we’re just casual friends...

“Am I…?” I lowered my head sadly. “I’m sorry if I offended you.”

“Why are you being formal all of a sudden, don’t I always say that to you?”

Maybe I just didn’t give a shit?

In any case, I wasn’t the old Estelia anymore, so changes were inevitable. Remember that time I said I’ll show changes little by little? It’s one of those. So maybe I’ll be a bit warmer to Lucious.

“Yes, yes you do,” I gave him a little sweet smile. “So, um, how are you, Lucious?”

“Hm?” He blinked, caught off guard by me checking how he was. “Now this is… Ahem, I’m completely fine, though I have to admit, traveling far distances is quite tiring, and I miss the home kingdom.”

Would you look at that, he looked a bit flustered.

He might be more surprised than I thought. Let me summarize how we interacted in the past when we were young. He would greet me, I greet him back, but only briefly — like saying a short hi. He asked how I am, I replied basically okay. Then I would only respond to his ramblings with yes, okay, I see. Now wasn’t that cold of me? Can you blame me? I don’t like interacting with people much, it gives me anxiety, and I’m not used to being too open. And sometimes — rather mostly — I want to be alone.

When we got a bit older, he started working with Eleden, so we didn’t get to talk much anymore. Even if we do, I don’t normally give him the time of the day and would just mind my own business. He could be described as a fly buzzing around me, okay not exactly a good comparison, he’s not exactly bad.

“On the other hand, you look as good as ever, Estelia. You are doing well, I presume?”

“Um, yes I am. I actually am going back to studying.”

“Study?” He slightly tilted his head.

Hey! Why does everyone seem to be in disbelief every time they hear or see me studying hard?!

“Did the teachers give you assignments? Hehehe,” he chuckled.

“No, I have not met my teachers in a while.”

“Really? Why?”

My brother has been pretty quiet as he observed us, he wasn’t even bothered by this. The same applied to Vernon, well he was pretty acquainted with Lucious and knew what kind of relationship we have. Mera in particular looked at us now with interest, perhaps curious.

“There was a situation… I’m sure you’ll learn of it later on.”

“Huh, I see...…” with a stare at me, he muttered “This is pleasant…”

“What is?”

“Nothing, just my muttering. I was planning to tell you my story about my adventures in Myra, but unfortunately, you seemed to be busy.”

Fortunately, I am busy. I can already imagine how long his ramblings were going to be, then I prefer to be spared from it and focus on my work.

“Then perhaps next time then.”

Am I looking forward to that next time? Eh. But I need to work on my social life, so…

“Next time?” he grinned widely. “S-Sure.”

Ah, maybe I shouldn’t have said that. Oh well, whatever.

“Now then, if you’ll excuse me, I need to go.”

“Oh, okay. See you, princess.”

I nodded at him then turned to Eleden. “Later, brother.”

“Yes, later.”

We then went our separate ways, while my brother and Lucious seemed to be heading to the former’s office. As I walked with my servants, I reflected on my action just now. Huh. Yeah, I think I should be more friendly, so what I did was fine.

There is no need to be too cold to anyone if they can be used in some way, like a meat shield when the situation calls for it or calling in favors. Sometimes developing relationships than degrading them would result in something better. This thought had me recall my plan to visit the knights. But now that situation was changing, their numbers would likely dwindle in their training grounds. Aw, I really wanted to learn how to use magic on my daggers, but I guess for the time being, I’ll learn physical enhancement since that would be essential.

 

I apologize for not updating for a long while. I had to comply with more than a dozen assignments given to us then followed by exams.  I hope my school gives me mercy lol.

68