Vol. 2 Chapter 39: Aristocrat Meeting (Part 2)
1.6k 3 60
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The king rose from his seat.

“Welcome nobles of the capital. Last year’s First Blooming Festival was a success. The people, as well I, had a lot of fun and the activities were quite entertaining. I would like to personally thank Marquis Teristro as the supervisor of the last festival for the success.”

Everyone clapped loudly and Teristro stood up then bowed his head. When the applause settled, the Marquis returned sitting down and the king continued.

“And now, here we are once again to discuss our plans for the upcoming festival, which will come in about three months. What activities and events should be reused, or removed, and what new activity do we add? I am sure we may have exhausted most of the ideas we could think of, but if need be, we can reuse the activities from other times.

“I’ll begin. I believe we should continue with the singing competition. Our people are talented, and I believe this should be displayed. And I still cannot help but be impressed by the sheer talent they showed last year, even the year before that. However, I would like to change something. Instead of only allowing a band to participate, we allow any number of participants, whether they be solo or duo, or a big group.

“Having to require a band limits the number of participants we have and the talents of others won’t have any opportunity to be displayed and rewarded, don’t you think?”

The nobles looked at each other and nodded their heads.

“Indeed, your majesty. I’m sure there are many who were unable to participate because of our prerequisites.”

The one who spoke was Marquis Natarel. He then continued.

“I’m sure my wife would be excited to watch that contest even more.”

“I’m sure she will be. I also intend to increase the contest reward, so expect more budget. My wife and I had discussed this at length, and have thought of any problem that would come with this change. First, we need to expand the stage for more areas for the performers, since we accept any number. And also more space for the audience.

“We imagine that there may be too many who will come to audition, local or foreign, so before everything else, we should put them on screening first. If they are up to standard, we’ll let them perform on stage. Well, that’s the main idea.” He turned to the scribe. “Have you written it down?”

“Yes, sir.”

“Good.” he faced the nobles. “We can vote on it later, for now, let us gather your ideas.”

One nobleman raised his hand, then stood up after the king nodded.

“I suggest for the event in the arena, instead of a human-to-human fight that we always have. What about we have man versus monster.”

Teristro raised his eyebrow.

“How are we going about bringing a monster to our city, Marquis Jezuri?” Teristro asked.

“Well, we can have the knights do it. Or perhaps hire mercenaries, there are those who offer services of such.”

“True, but to bring monsters in our midst, not a good idea. Not only they are dangerous, but they also cannot be controlled. Once we lose control, there’s no saying how many casualties we’ll suffer.”

“Then, rather than pure horrendous monsters, what about creatures we can consider beasts? And if too many isn’t possible, we’ll capture one. The winner of fights against humans will fight against the beast.”

“Why are you so keen on having monsters?”

“I think it would be interesting! A single man against a powerful beast! Wouldn’t that be exciting? How will a lone warrior prevail against a creature that required a group of knights to defeat?”

“I’m wary everything will go wrong.”

“We will only capture beasts that a group of knights are capable of defeating, that way when it goes out of control we can stop it before there is any drastic damage.”

“We are sending a beast… If we do it, the death of the participant would be guaranteed if he loses. This will be unlike where two humans can communicate a surrender.”

“Then we’ll have knights stationed and have the participant signal if he wants to surrender. Besides, it has never been a hundred percent that no one dies in the arena. What’s the difference? They sign up knowing death is a possibility, they know what they are getting into for wealth and glory.”

Teristro sighed and shifted his eyes to the king sitting on his throne, but beside him, Teristro noticed the princess wearing a frown.

Oh my niece, you didn’t like what you heard, huh?

What Jezuri said was true however, they get into the arena knowing they might die. So perhaps getting worried about anyone dying would be pointless. If they fear death, they shouldn’t have entered. Besides, most that would join would be adventurers wanting to get rich, they risk their lives every single day, they should be prepared for death.

But as one would expect, the princess wouldn’t like that. Still, she was silent, as she said, she was only observing.

“I’m interested in this proposal.”

The one who chimed in was the second prince, Estevan.

“Please consider it father, I sort of want to see it. The knights will find a capable beast.”

“Brother, you better be certain. If we go with this proposal, the knights will need to make sure nothing goes wrong.” said the first prince Eleden. “I still think this is risky, using something we cannot completely control.”

“Let us think on it and vote later, add it into the list.” the king said to the scribe.

“Now then, I have little thing to suggest.” The one who stood up was the Marquis Yveno.

“Go ahead.”

“Actually, I’ve been thinking, don’t you think three days is short?”

Three days was the duration of the festival.

“Is it?”

“Yes, I suggest extending it to five days.”

“Hm, I don’t really see the point of extending it.” the king said.

“It would be more enjoyable if it’s longer.”

“The citizens tend to stop working to rest or to enjoy the festival, aside from the merchants, would it be alright to extend it to five days?”

“... I suppose. But we can enjoy more activities if we make it five days.”

The king placed a hand on his chin.

“I suppose we can extend it to five days for this year. I was intending on inviting a princess from Myra.”

Teristro’s eyes widened in surprise.

“Myra? Which princess?”

“Only the second princess, for reasons. This could be a good way to show both our kingdom’s friendly relationship.”

“If that is the case, then three days will be too short for an envoy from another country.”

“And we will need more enjoyable activities, which we can make do by reusing old ideas if we have nothing else.”

“Displaying both our country’s friendship with Myra could make the Empire hesitate from doing any hostile actions upon us.”

“Then we’ll take it into consideration.”

***

The discussion continued on at length, gathering as much idea as they could and reusing a few activities in the past. As they took into consideration holding the festival for five days rather than three, they doubled the number of activities to consider.

After giving the ideas as they could, it was time for a break, and the maids went on to give the nobles refreshments and snacks. While they eat they could think about what activities they should vote on, discuss what should be picked, and they could also casually converse as friends for it was rare for them to meet together.

Meanwhile, the royal family left for another room to have their own break time. The moment they entered, everyone turned their head to look at the princess and youngest child, Estelia.

“...W-What?” she asked uneasily.

She lifted her closed hand on her chest as she stared back at everyone.

“Did I do something wrong…?”

“That was shocking, Estel…” Estevan said. “What made you decide to join?”

“Um well…” she did not continue but only wryly smiled.

“And the way you entered, was that deliberate?” said Eleden. “Like wow, that was pretty impressive, since when can you do that? That was magnificent.” Eleden chuckled.

“Estel acting all confident like that in front of nobles, what a dream!”

“S-Stop it you two! It’s embarrassing! It’s not e-easy, you know!”

She looked quite adorable when worked up, her cheeks completely red.

“Besides, it was not my intention to arrive at that time, it was meant to be earlier! It took a while to prepare my dress and tie my hair, that’s why I only got to arrive exactly as scheduled. I’m still not late! So I don’t think there’s any problem.”

“Yes, of course. But that was still an entertaining entrance, not all nobles there have seen you before.”

Estelia pouted at Estevan.

“Is that so? Maybe I overdid it? Now I’m scared to look at the nobles…”

“Don’t be, at least we can say your etiquette lessons is finally put to use.”

Eleden lightly patted her head as to not ruin her hair. How to act on certain occasions was always taught in etiquette lessons, and as royals they must act with confidence and be above everyone. Her teacher would have likely reprimanded her at length for acting timid.

“Alright, that’s enough, sit down and relax.” their father patted the table and sat down. “You did well, my daughter. But I wish you could have told us you planned on joining the meeting.”

“I was not intending to at first…” she turned at the maid. “I don’t want to eat, just give me juice. Thank you.”

A moment later, snacks arrived but the princess was only given a refreshment as she requested. She gently drank from her glass.

“So, Estelia do you have any request you want to make? I assume you are intending to go to the festival, so perhaps there is something you want to see.” her mother asked.

“... Not really. I know nothing about what happens at the festival. So, I cannot suggest where I know nothing about how things work. I just want to see and experience what is in store.”

“Is that so? By the way, I heard Lucious asked you out, any plans about that?”

Estelia froze in surprise when her mother mentioned it, no one else should have known about it. She frantically looked at the one possible culprit, since Estevan was likewise surprised and confused, the only one culprit of sharing what his friend did was Eleden.

Eleden lightly scratched his cheek.

“I sort of mentioned it to them…”

After hearing his answer, Estelia lowered her head with hesitation plastered on her face.

“Estelia?”

“I… I don’t know what I should answer…”

Meliya pursed her lips.

“I understand… You still have months away from the festival, you have plenty of time to think about it.”

Even so, it being months away was still too long to give an answer of yes or no.

“Why do you hesitate, Estelia?” Meliya continued.

Estelia shifted her eyes to look her mother in the eyes and averted away.

“I don’t know… I am dangerous to be around with. I know if I go out to the festival, if we are together, he will be put in danger. I don’t want that.”

“So you prefer to be alone?”

“... Well, I don’t think I would be alone though, Sir Rogan will be there with me.” she smiled.

Leodoule took in a sharp breath while momentarily caressing the side of his face. “Rogan, huh…”

“What’s the matter, dear?” Meliya noticed he was thinking about something.

“Ah! No, nothing… nothing. Just my mutterings, thinking of how to handle the festival. Having Rogan stay by Estelia’s side will be a great relief, so I suppose you’ll be stuck with each other, Estelia. Say, let’s add Vernon to the equation?”

“Why?”

“Why? Isn’t he added to your side for protection? So, it wouldn’t be advisable to have only Rogan, don’t you think?”

“Is Sir Rogan’s ability not up to your satisfaction, father?”

“... Um, well, I just want to be more careful.”

“I see…” she lowered her gaze again. “I suppose we can do that. But then Mera would be left alone here. If I bring Vernon with me, I might as well bring Mera along.”

“That’s… a maid who couldn’t fight, she would be a burden.”

“B-But…”

“Haaaah, let’s think about this some other time then.”

“... Very well.”

The princess had such a pitiful expression that Leodoule was uncertain of what actions should be done. Therefore, he decided to throw the matter to his future self.

***

There were to be two major events every day in the festival, morning and afternoon while amidst that were minor ones or none at all since they ought to give more free time so people can do whatever they wish.

Furthermore, after a short discussion, they opted to make the duration from three days to four days, instead of the initial five days proposal.

The nobles voted at least two or four events for each day, and end up scrapping a few ideas. And now, it was up to the supervisor to successfully implement the plans.

“Now then, who will supervise this time’s festival?” asked the king.

Teristro did a fine job at the last festival but selecting him again wouldn’t be a good idea. If the king selected him again, it would show favoritism, thus pushing other loyal subjects to the sidelines. That was why every year the festival would have a different supervisor, giving an opportunity to anyone who has yet to have it or hasn’t in a while.

Then one man raised his hand.

“My king, please allow me. I have yet to supervise the festival, I would like to have this opportunity.”

“Are you up for the job, Marquis Vekenas? We will have a guest from another country, bear that in mind.”

Marquis Vekenas was a little plumped bearded man with short light brown hair and greenish eyes. He smiled widely as he faced the king.

“Of course, your majesty, I am prepared. But I do wish for everyone’s aid when I need it.”

“I’ll help, just ask if you need assistance. This is our festival after all, we all want it to succeed,” one of the nobles said, and the others agreed with his sentiment.

“I thank you.”

“Alright, then Marquis Vekenas, you will supervise the preparations of the festival, and it will be your responsibility to make it a success where everyone will get to have fun.”

“I sincerely thank you for granting me this opportunity, my king. I swear to give my all for the festival.”

He bowed.

And with that, the meeting officially ended, as it ended Vekenas was given the list of plans discussed in the meeting from the scribe.

With the meeting done, the nobles were free to leave, but if they wish to speak with their accomplices first, they could. Teristro went to approach his younger sister with a fond smile, namely the queen of the kingdom.

“Hello, my sister. It has been a while.”

Meliya smiled in delight and stood up from her throne.

“Meril, my brother. I’m so happy we can finally speak without any formalities.”

She hugged her brother for a moment.

“So, my sister, you’re not working too hard, are you?”

“No, not really that much work. I’m getting proper sleep if that’s what you want to ask.”

The two princes approached the marquis and shook hands.

“You two haven’t changed at all last year we met. It would seem you have reached your limit!”

“Well I am pretty satisfied with myself, uncle.”

“There’s nothing I can do when I’m already past twenty, so I have just to accept I won’t get any taller.”

Teristro chuckled at Estevan and Eleden’s remark. Then he faced the king.

“Brother in law, I can already tell you’re working too hard.”

“I would appreciate it if you would share a little of my burden.”

“Now now, don’t drag me into your kingly duties, it’s out of my league.”

“Whatever you say.”

Leodoule turned to the princess when he realized that she have yet to come and talk with her uncle. She was merely hiding behind him, her confidence that she had shown at first had vanished, perhaps she realized that they were now off the official setting and can now act the way she truly was.

“Estelia, come and say hi to your uncle.”

She reluctantly stepped forward while grasping her own hand.

“Um, greetings, uncle.”

“Mm, hello, Estelia. I haven’t seen you in a long while, you’ve changed. You look more mature now.”

“... Thank you…”

“Did you hear? Mizia came.”

“I heard, but I wasn’t able to greet her.”

“To be expected when you joined the meeting. She was quite excited to meet you again after so long. I’ll be staying the day here in the palace, just so you two can properly catch up. That is fine with you, right?” he lastly asked Leodoule.

“Of course, I’m sure my daughter would like to speak with the cousin she hasn’t seen for years.”

“She prepared a case of gifts, just something to look forward to.”

Estelia immediately averted her narrowed eyes, perhaps realizing what the contents of those gifts would be. Teristro knew very well what the intent of those gifts would be, but there was nothing he could do about it.

“Estelia,” her mother called. “Mizia has been waiting for hours, I think you should go ahead and meet her.”

“...Very well, mother…” she turned and faced the knight she came with. “Sir Rogan, we are leaving.”

The nobles that remained in the hall turned their heads and watched the princess closely as she left the room. Some had opportunistic gazes, perhaps thinking about how to get the princess’s favor, since she had shown herself here, it basically meant she could be intending to enter the political circle. While some were only curious.

That being said, there was not a lot of benefit of trying to garner her favor, she lack any true influence in the greater scope of politics. They would rather ally themselves with the first prince, or the second, with more to the former because he seemed to be the better candidate. He had been the one to closely work with his father after all.

Teristro wasn’t bothered by it, being the sister of the queen, he didn’t need to work hard to gain more influence and power. Besides, if the princess proves to be a promising candidate for the throne, his daughter had already done most of the job on becoming close with the princess, even though it wasn’t intentional.

“The knight, I presume he is the personal knight of hers?”

He had heard talks about one of the knights being selected to guard the princess, but he didn’t delve deeply into it, it was not significant to him. But he did know of the identity of the knight. And, as the person tasked with a special position by the king, he was one of the first to know about it.

“Oh yes, yes he is.”

The king answered.

“Did you pick him? He doesn’t particularly have a good reputation.”

“I did pick him. And that reputation only involved the outside, but here in the palace, he is alright.”

“I see. But would that be wise? His family might take advantage of this to rise up the ranks.”

“No kidding, they’ve been requesting to have a meeting with him.”

“They even tried reaching him through me,” Estevan sighed. “But, Rogan wished not to speak with them, and much more when they want to take advantage of him.”

“Still, he cannot avoid them forever. They are still his family in the end.”

“True, but he dislikes them… who knows how long it will last.”

“I’m worried that my niece would get involved in something terrible.”

“If they trouble my daughter, they’ll regret it.”

 

Overlord season 4 is a few days away, can't wait! But ugh, still hate the wait lol. Also Classroom of the Elite season 2 is so close, finally! Finally some good anime coming out!

60