Vol. 2 Chapter 41: Stepping on Air
1.5k 3 54
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Been a week passed, and now I was having breakfast with my family. I feel like I have been overworking ever since I was brought into this world. For fuck’s sake.

“Estelia, what is your plan today?”

My father asked out of the blue, he doesn’t usually do that.

“Like usual, father. Practice.”

Not like I have anything else to do, can’t even have casual fun, go out or anything. Can’t even have a boyfriend — just a throwaway comment, don’t mind it. What I’m trying to say, I can’t even have nice things.

‘But Estelia you have a lot of nice things, a palace, money, magic.’

If you thought of that, you don’t get it, that was not the point.

“...Oh. By the way, how is your progress with the spells from the grimoire?”

“I was focusing on the spells I have already learned, improving now. Today I’m going to start practicing one of the spells from the grimoire.”

“Which one?”

“Air Step…”

“Are you going to practice at the courtyard you always use?”

“Mmm. Yes, I think that is a fitting place to practice.”

He smiled.

“In that case, I can help you practice. I know how to cast the spell.”

“Really?” a smile rose on my lips.

“Of course. I’ll catch up a bit later though, just need to finish a couple of things and I’ll be right at you.”

“I will be waiting, father!”

Finally, someone to tutor me. Wew, it’s never easy to self-study. And having father teach, whom I trust, was a wonderful thing.

“If father’s coming, then I’m coming too!” Estevan immediately chimed in.

“No,” father denied without a moment wasted. “Don’t force yourself to come when you have other things to do. Estelia and I are meeting to practice, no distractions from you.”

Ooooooh, that’s right Estevan. Tell him father!

“.... Fine…” he dranked from his glass of water wearing a disappointed face.

***

At the usual courtyard with the usual team, I was remembering the details and instructions that talks about casting Air Step. I followed the instructions, mana must imitate the wind. It all boiled down to the imagination and visualization.

Everyone just watched me, of course. They had nothing to help me with, this training was mine alone, nor would I be able to share the details of the spell. Father specifically instructed me not to share details about how to cast the spells from the grimoire.

The spell was about mainly using the spell on the feet, as it was opted for mobility. I shaped my mana to my feet, forming wind. It took a while before it even got to make form. That being said, the wind was too weak, like a gentle breeze.

I formed the mana again around my feet.

It took some time, until Father arrived.

“Daughter how is it?” he asked me.

“I think it’s alright… I am just starting after all.”

He grinned. “I’ll give you a tip, one I learned when I was practicing it.”

I listened.

“It is best to practice forming the wind on your hand first. That way, you don’t have to strain yourself when practicing for the first time. You will have no weight to worry about. Also, gives you more freedom.”

I expected that with my vast amount of mana, I would be alright. But I suppose he had a point.

“Another thing,” he continued. “Do not strictly learn to form the wind, but also learn how to move the air around you.”

“Move the air?”

“With your own wind, manipulate the air around and within them. Pushing them, or pull them, make them move however you want with the force of your own wind.”

“Huh… I think I understand.”

So, like an electric fan? No wait, was that a proper comparison?

“Also, would you like me to show you how it’s done?” his grind grew wider, and excitement was clear in his eyes. “I’m sure you’ll learn a little from watching me.”

Hehehe, he wants to show off.

“That would be wonderful, father. If you would please.”

I felt the air shift before me, the blades of grasses waved in one direction, the wind seemed to be turning around like a wheel. Tiny pieces of dry leaves and grass floated and swirled around father, specifically, to both his feet, then additionally, to his hands.

He was also casting wind on his hands. Gradually, he began to float a foot above ground.

“See? As floating high above for too long would only be a waste of mana, it is best to use this spell while moving.”

He lowered himself again, the wind growing faint, while his body turned towards a more open area. When his feet touched the ground, he lowered his body and legs before doing a leap. At the same came a burst of wind, sending my hair violently snapping.

Father then twisted his body and turned in almost an instant with winds only at his feet, a dangerous maneuver that no novice could immediately replicate.

Then he held his open palms downwards and his body jumped up higher into the air, doing a flip midair. When he descended, the winds in his palms seemed to have disappeared and his feet rode the wind as he moved around me with impressive swiftness.

His legs didn’t move intensely, it was almost like he was only roller-skating in the wind — or perhaps the more beautiful word was ice-skating?

When he returned to me, he turned his feet to the side as he slowly came to a stop. Indeed, it was as if he was skating.

“Impressed, daughter?”

I clapped my hands happily with a proud smile.

“Amazing, father! You almost appeared to be dancing!”

“You think so? Hehehe, I admit, I did practice hard in the past just to impress your mother.”

“Was it worth it?”

“Of course! I could never forget the way she looked and smiled at me. Anyhow, while I’m here, let me personally teach you.”

“Please.”

And so, he personally oversaw my training. He would point out my mistakes, give me tips. He was quite gentle on me, never strict or stern. He would show me a demonstration in certain parts, but of course it wasn’t easy to see with air being invisible and all, so he would often demonstrate it around where there were dry leaves or dusts.

Then noon came.

“Let’s stop for now, Estelia. I must say, you did an impressive progress.”

He roughly rubbed my head, messing up my hair.

“Father…” I complained.

He chuckled. “Ah, your hair, my apologies. Now then come, let us have lunch.”

I nodded my head and together headed to the dining room.

“I will not be able to be with you tomorrow, but I will be looking forward to your progress a week from now. I want you to perform the spell as much as you can.”

I smiled. “Then, I will surprise — no, I will shock you, father.”

“Feeling confident, are we?”

“Of course, a week is enough for me to cast a stable Air Step.”

“Oh, then impress me, my daughter.”

“I will…” I looked away and then back to looking at his eyes. “And father… thank you for spending your time to teach me…”

His smile became more fondly, and he wrapped his arm around me.

“Of course… I plan to spend more time with you. Just a father and daughter time!”

“What about mother?”

“She can come if she wants. That’s right, she can come with me next week to see your progress. I’m sure she will be delighted to watch you.”

“That is a great idea.”

“And be sure to be careful, okay? No need to overwork yourself. Remember, safety is of utmost priority.”

“It’s weird to hear that from you, father. With you so eager to lead a fight against monsters.”

“Even so, safety is always my first priority, making sure I can defeat the opponent. Otherwise, how will I return to you if I don’t?”

“…Then, keep it that way, father.”

Yes, returning home must be a priority, and alive. Even wounded would be fine, the most important thing was that he was alive. Although, I would prefer he’s in full shape, and only get wounds that can heal.

Honestly, father should have no need to personally fight out there. But he still does. I don’t like that part of him.

54