Vol. 2 Chapter 46: Prelude to the Festival
1.6k 15 49
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

My family wanted me to get along with the princess from another country… Like okay? I mean, I don’t have many friends, but I don’t really see why it had to be her? Haaaah, it had to be the VIP. Needless to say, they urged me to be careful with how I carry myself and what I say, only to be added that they had no need to worry about it since I wouldn’t be much of a problem when speaking anyway. Given that I am mostly a quiet girl.

Pfft.

Furthermore, Eleden was going to be with the princess, so I should be fine. Besides, if my brother was serious about this, she would eventually become family, only need to worry about political complications. But Myra seemed to be fine with it so not much of a problem now that they seemed keen on making friends, hm.

The empire sure was a threat. Everyone could have just cut off the dragon’s head and everything else should stop moving. That being said, there should be a lot of baby dragons, so kill them too, kill them younglings. Add to that inciting rebellion in the states they control or make them declare independence. No way could an empire manage to give something good to all states if they’re that big, adding the empire’s characteristic on top of that.

Unless they have good leadership or something. In any case there should be at least one that yearns independence.

Moving on, at the moment I am with my knight walking down the hallway in the palace. I left my pair of servants again since they would only get in the way if they also came with me. On the first floor I met with my eldest brother, and with him were Lillie and Jaiden.

The knight now wore formal outfit, coat and trousers, with only a sword on his waist. Guess wearing an armor was unnecessary.

Then Princess Lillie wasn’t wearing a dress, but this time was wearing a long-sleeved shirt with a waist strap. Brown trousers and brown boots, almost like what a horse rider would wear. Her hair was tied into a ponytail. Still, with her beauty, she still looked fancy.

Judging from the way she was dressed, she was intending to do something that required an intense physical activity… She’s intending to spar with the knights, wasn’t she?

Is everyone from Myra battle hungry?

Like… okay… can people at least be gentle and peaceful as me?

What? I’m not a peaceful and gentle person? What are you talking about?

“I apologize for making you wait.” I said to them.

“It’s alright, we just arrived a moment ago. Besides, you arrived right on schedule, there is no need to apologize.” she assured me with a smile. “Are we ready to go?”

With nothing else to wait for, we were all ready to go and started heading to the courtyard where the knights usually hang around. I wonder if the knights were notified, or this was a surprise visit. I hope it was the former, I would be concerned if my knights were thrown into a situation they weren’t prepared for… he-he… I’m a kind princess, aren’t I?

On the way, Lillie started a conversation with me, a friendly and casual one. As we weren’t exactly close and given that she was a princess of another country, I opted to call her as “Princess Lillie.” But in the process of our conversation, she had me call her by her name alone.

Why not…

As for our topic, just casual ones, like hobbies and interest. She spoke quite softly to me actually, as if she was extra careful with her words. I’m cool with it. I wonder how this brother of mine described me that called for this kind of interaction with her.

I am acting interested though, but of course sprinkled some meekness here and there, acting adorable. To be honest, I am a little curious what skills this woman had.

N-Not because I feel my precious princess position was being threatened of course…. Not at all…

No way she’s better than me.

I’m sorry, okay?! It’s hard not to feel competitive to your parallel! I’m used to that environment! I can’t be a loser! I’m not going to be the inferior one!

We arrived at our destination to discover less than a dozen of knights doing their own businesses in their training grounds. Some were sparring with their swords, some exercising, some target practicing with bows.

“Oh! Splendid! Wasting no time at all and training to keep their skills sharp!” the princess from another country said with blatant anticipation. “Although, I expected more of them, are their other training spots?”

“Well, actually, a lot of the knights has been dispatched and assigned in preparations for the festival.” My brother answered.

“Oh I see, understandable.”

The moment the knights saw us arrived, they stopped all what they were doing and focused all their attention at us. With no hesitation, Lillie stepped forward and smiled widely in a friendly manner.

“Greetings, everyone! I am Lillie Eanthia Lionheart, Princess of Myra. If you don’t mind, I would like to be acquainted with you, knights of Wisteria. As someone from a nation with heart filled with chivalry, I am interested about knights from another kingdom, and their skills as well. Feel free to think of this as our nation kindling their relationship further.”

The knights fixed their postures and bowed deeply at the princess.

“We greet and welcome the Princess of Myra!”

They said in unison.

Wow, did they practice that or something? No, that aside! Dammit! I hate looking at them bowing at another princess, and from another nation no less! Not like they had any other choice, but still… Ugh, whatever, I’m just being bitter. It’s not pleasant.

“Thank you. Now then, if you don’t mind, I would like to spar swords with someone. As I have no sword in hand, I would also be borrowing one. So… anyone?”

The knights looked at each other with hesitation. Of course no one would just casually say they would spar with an envoy of a foreign country, no one would be that insane. What if they accidentally injured her? And what if she was displeased about the match? Gotta to be careful with this kind of stuff.

The knight, Jaiden, stepped forward. “I’m sure you are concerned. But the princess is proficient in swordsmanship, I’m sure you will find her challenging.”

Still, no one came to volunteer.

Amidst that, Rogan suddenly whispered.

“Princess… Can I?”

The hell? Is he crazy?

He hesitated when I asked him to duel me, and he’s volunteering here to fight this woman?

“Why?”

“Well, you see. As your personal knight, in case something small happens, it wouldn’t be that damaging given that I am your knight. It would be different for the other knights here, children of nobles they may be.”

Well, true. But to think he would actually volunteer.

“I’m also worried about my friends so… Oh, and I imagine you would like to measure the princess’s abilities. I can give you my thoughts afterwards.”

No, I’m not really. Just a little curious…

Ugh, whatever.

“Fine.”

He grinned before stepping forward and raising his hand.

“Me! It would be an honor to have a spar with you, O your highness.”

He said so casually as ever as he bowed.

“Oh! Interesting, Princess Estelia’s knight? Certainly. But will that be alright?”

She asked as she looked at me.

“Yes, it is alright.”

“Very well then… I’m looking forward to this.”

“As I am, I’m curious what a princess like you can do.”

“Please go easy on me, just use your average strength. I’m quite concerned I would be defeated at the first minute.”

Rogan smirked. “If you say so, princess.”

***

During Rogan and Lillie’s match I merely sat down on the chair offered to me by the sweetest knights, with my brother sitting beside me. Everyone watched with interest, anticipating how the match would unfold. Well, I imagine mostly because they haven’t seen a princess try to fight sword by sword.

…Okay… whatever… melee fighting sucks anyway. I like guns, guns were better, safer distance. When enemy get near, just gun-fu their asses. Oh, what was I talking about?

Ahem…

Anyways, the fight was pretty simple, not as intense as the mock battle I watched in the far past. They start swinging their swords at each other slowly, as if getting the feel for each other first.

Gradually, the fight increased in intensity. Now that I have observed Rogan, he’s actually handling the sword pretty well, despite having his main weapon as a spear. As for the princess, he was matching up with Rogan quite well, her form and stance were fine, and the way she swung her sword with both hands was swift and skillful.

Her training became more apparent at every move she displayed.

By the way, they were swinging their swords without any magic involved. They did discuss about it beforehand, like notifying the other party if one decided to use magic. But I don’t know if it would escalate to the point that they would use magic.

As for the foreign knight, he was serving as the referee. But I can tell by way he sharply kept watch at Lillie that he was being careful that no fatal attack would hit her. Severely injuring a foreign princess wouldn’t be good.

Rogan’s movement was more on the practical side. Lillie on the other hand was graceful when she moved her legs and shifting her body. Still, I do not know if that was her full ability. Brother did mention she wasn’t really very strong compared to the other knights. But Jaiden seemed to be impressed, but maybe that’s just him complimenting her.

Their fight grew tense as the two swords hitting each clanged loudly. Rogan narrowed his eyes as he stepped back for a moment before charging again. The princess seemed to be having a difficult time following his attacks.

And then the moment Rogan deflected her blade, he swiftly moved and pointed his sword to Lillie’s chest.

The princess smiled in delight as she acknowledged her defeat. Seriously? Being happy after being defeated? I would not be wholeheartedly smiling in that situation.

“Magnificent sword dance, Sir Rogan.”

“Thank you… The sword is not my main weapon, by the way.”

I sense Rogan being a little cocky there.

“Truly? Then what weapon do you use normally?”

“A spear.”

“Oh my,” she sheathed her sword. “If you’re this strong with the sword, I certainly wouldn’t challenge you in a serious fight.”

“You honor me, princess. You are surprisingly skilled yourself. I didn’t expect you would worry me this much.”

“Well, I still lost in the end.”

Lillie pulled out a handkerchief and wiped off the sweat off her face. Rogan pulled his own and rubbed his face.

Hm, no intention of using magic? Alright then…

The two of them then drank from the glasses of water offered to them.

Big brother stood up and approached Lillie.

“Beautiful while fighting as ever. Truly dazzling.”

“... Thank you…” she smiled lovingly.

Look at these two…

Meanwhile Rogan had a smug all over his face.

“So, any word of compliments for me?”

I furrowed my brows as he asked me that.

“What do you want to hear?”

Want me to go ‘Oh my god Rogan! You were so cool!’ or maybe ‘Kyaaa! So handsome! The way you fight makes my heart jump!’?

“Maybe something along the line of — you fought so valiantly, Sir Rogan!”

“Hehe!” I involuntarily let out a giggle. As thick faced as ever. “Sir Rogan, you fought brilliantly. Truly like a knight in shining armor found in any story book. Seeing my knight fight so valiantly fills me with pride.”

I said sweetly and a bit loudly as I could, humoring him for a little.

“Thank you, thank you, your highness. Your words give me the greatest of pleasure.”

He theatrically waved his arm towards to his chest while bowing deeply. I was only making fun of him a little and he got along with it. The surrounding knights looked weirdly at us, then staring at each other with frowns and winces.

“Did you enjoy the spar?”

“Oh yes, yes indeed. I’m quite relieved she wasn’t as scary as the last one I sparred with.”

He looked at me with raised eyebrows, implicitly saying he was talking about me. I do remember blasting him with a fireball right next to his face. That would hurt him, but nothing a little healing magic could heal. You think it was cruel and unnecessary? No, it was not. Okay, maybe I disregarded his feelings that time… juuuust a little.

“Oh my, I wonder who you are referring to. But I’m certain they are apologetic about it.”

“I sure hope so.” he bitterly smiled.

“Ahem!”

Suddenly that deliberately loud clearing of throat came from Eleden.

“Brother?”

“Sister…” he glanced at Rogan for a second. “Lillie wants to speak with you.”

With a puzzled face, I shifted my gaze towards Lillie beside him.

“Nothing important… I just want to know you better, Estelia.”

“... Is that so…”

“Your knight has a fine swordsmanship skill. You must find him quite reliable.”

“Oh, uh, he is.”

“Mm…” she stood beside me as others went away a little to mind their own businesses, leaving us two. “... Um, can you use a sword?”

“... No… I was never taught.”

“Oh, what about a knife?”

“…I was not trained to fight, I’m no use when it comes to fighting.”

“Really? Huh… Bizarre. Truly bizarre. So it is not mandatory for you to have any combat training it seems.”

“No… Is it for you…?”

She nodded her head. “Yes, all royalty, prince or princesses, must be trained in the way of a knight at a very young age. If your skills are below average, you would be labeled as a failure of a royal.”

“M-Must be hard.”

“I never thought of it as hard, as it is normal for us. That is why I’m quite shocked to learn you weren’t trained for any combat. Though I shouldn’t have been so surprised given that Eleden wasn’t trained in swordsmanship, I still feel surprised.”

“I cannot imagine what experience a princess would go through when trained at an early age that would normally be for men. As weak as I am, I must rely on my knight.”

I glanced at Rogan with a smile, and he merely pursed his lips and looked away. He must be thinking I was deliberately not sharing a few things.

“Ever thought of training as a knight?”

“... No… I see there is not much need for it.”

I’m just not going to mention that my parents would be against me learning the way of the knight. Heh, nor would I like to. I’m already on the path of the mage, which I believe was much better by the way. And I’m already an “assassin” so no sword plays for me. Not much for melee anyway.

Safe distance fighting’s the way.

“Oh.”

She looked around until her eyes caught the figures of a couple of knights shooting arrows at the round targets, with paints of rings and red circle at the center of them. A knight nocked and then loosed an arrow, hitting a ring away from the bullseye.

“Oh, archery, I know how to do that. Let’s check it out?”

“Okay.”

I let her slowly drag me to the archery range. She asked to borrow a bow, and of course she immediately had it, a recurve bow. She picked an arrow and nocked it to the bow. She pinched the arrow between her thumb and index finger.

She slowly drew the string back.

Then loose.

The arrow pierced through the air before piercing the targeting board, inches away from the center.

“Aaaw, I was close.”

“That was impressive your highness.” One of the knights praised.

“Thank you, though I had hoped I hit the center.”

“It is never always easy, and what you accomplished was impressive enough.”

“Thank you. I trained a decent amount, still rarely I get to hit the perfect spot.” She turned to me. “A bow is a fine weapon and safer. If you wish to practice a weapon, I suggest this.”

I merely nodded my head. Archery, huh. I have trained in archery, they were one of the modern weapons after all, technically. Well, modern, but bullets versus arrows? Arrows stands no chance, and they had no beneficial use in my missions. Using bow and arrows were obsolete.

But we were trained using it to train our accuracy and precision, and at least learn another type of weapon. As for swords, nah, we used light weapons such as daggers… The organization didn’t like training us with swords when they’re obsolete, and we wouldn’t have much time to train for it when we are to graduate around the time we reach our teens. Better for us to have mastery over what was the most optimal and most used.

I used bows in other occasions though, so I am adept at it at least. A sniper rifle was still better.

Lillie put down the bow on the table and caught an interest of another group of knights exercising with spears. She’s really into those kinds of stuff, huh. And to think she wasn’t super powerful.

“Let’s check that out, Estelia.”

“Okay, go ahead.”

And she went ahead. I stayed by the shooting range, then stared at the bow on the table.

“Princess…?” Rogan called out to me in a whisper.

You know, I hate being overshadowed. Being overshadowed meant death. And it irked me being behind someone else. I must not be inferior.

“You know how to use a bow, Sir Rogan?”

“Eh, no… not really. Not into it.”

“I see.”

With my left hand I picked up the recurve bow. With my right hand I picked up an arrow. I nocked the arrow with three extended fingers, the index, middle, and ring. I fixed my posture, straightening my back.

I pointed the bow forward, drew the string with the three fingers, the arrow between the index and middle finger. I could feel the pressure of the string on my fingers. The wind was mild, the drew length enough.

I fixed my eyes at the target and took aim.

Then I let loose, letting the finger go with the momentum of the release, like letting it slide on my finger. The arrow whizzed, neatly penetrating the air as it shot towards its target.

Then, it hit…

The knights’ faces at the range, and Rogan’s were dumbstruck. Their eyes wide as they fixed their eyes at the center of the target, where an arrow was firmly planted. I put down the bow back to the table.

“Oh my, what a lucky shot. Lillie was right, this is a good weapon. But this isn’t for me…”

A bow was too slow, I don’t like it. You need to grab an arrow and draw it and stuff. Not my style.

“Y-Your highness… That was impressive, how did you do that?” the knight in front of me asked.

“Hm? Didn’t I say it was a lucky shot?”

“N-No… it’s just. It looked like you knew what you were doing…”

“I just imitated how you did it. I was watching everyone, and you one of them.”

“I see. I should say, luck as it may be, that was still very, very impressive. This deserves an applause—”

“No. No need, let’s not disturb everyone, okay?”

He lowered his hands.

“…Understood.”

“Alright, then I will be going.”

“Of course.”

I began walking over to Lillie, as I did, Rogan whispered to me.

“You surprised me, princess. Did you really just imitate what you saw?”

“Of course, how else would I be able to shoot an arrow otherwise? I never trained in it.”

“Mm. Does your finger hurt?”

“Well a little. Maybe I should have used a little physical enhancement to lessen the burden on my arm.”

A lie of course, it didn’t hurt, it was just one shot.

***

Afternoon. We spent a decent amount of time with the knights earlier, and Lillie seemed pretty pleased with the time. In addition, she didn’t seem to have noticed that I hit the bullseye earlier, she was focused mingling with the knights. It was good though, I didn’t have to explain anything to her.

Not that I dislike her. In fact, I think she’ll be nice to be with my brother, they seemed to get along just fine. And she had been friendly with me. However, I won’t close our distance. She was still a foreigner. Didn’t mean she was in romance with my big brother I would be lax with her.

… Okay, I’m not exactly the type to be instantly genuinely friendly with someone I just met.

At the moment, I walked down the hallway heading to one of the guest rooms. As usual I was only with Rogan. Busy were these times with the festival ever closer. As for the guests I’m meeting with, it’s the church order. I’m about to meet with the team.

On my way there, I encountered the foreign knight. What’s he doing walking around?

“Sir Jaiden… You’re alone, where is Lillie?”

“She is at her room at the moment, resting. As she gave me the freedom to move around, I took this opportunity to tour myself around the palace. I still haven’t taken a look at the outside, but for now, I’m taking in the interior of the palace. Your palace is more colorful than ours.”

“Oh… Then I hope you find pleasure in seeing the sights this palace can offer.”

He nodded his head. “... By the way princess… I saw that you shot an arrow, splendid work. I thought you weren’t skilled in any weapon.”

So he saw it, huh. Then Lillie not seeing it was pointless, then? Eh, not that it matters.

“That was just a lucky shot. And I was only trying it out, I actually was quite surprised I managed to achieve what I did.”

“I see… I should say, you holding a bow was fitting. That weapon will be good on you.”

I lowered me head, embarrassed. “Is that so? But I honestly have no intention of dedicating time for it.”

“A shame… your form was exquisite as you drew the string. But I understand. Wisteria truly has a different culture. Then, if you’ll excuse me, princess.”

I watched him leave. He tends to really express his thoughts, huh. That’s an exemplar? I expected they would have more restraint in expressing with words. Well, who am I to judge? I mean look at this elite knight beside me! Does he give off the vibe of an official elite knight?

I continued onward and momentarily arrived at my destination. I glanced at Rogan and he opened the door for me.

Inside were the two females that I had met and then a few others. To be precise, there were five new people wearing priests’ robes. Two females, three males.

Inside already was my father.

The guests bowed the moment they saw me followed by a greeting.

I stepped inside. “Hello, nice to meet you.”

49