A pig in a poke.
420 5 11
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"Morning, Zach! Ready to get to work?  I'm running up to Boerne to look at a property I might buy.  I want you to come with me."  

I stretched, groaned and looked at the clock.  It wasn't quite 8:00.  I mumbled, "Okay."

"Great! Meet me in visitor parking in five minutes!  I'm in a red Mustang convertible"

What a way to start a Sunday morning.  I threw on my jeans and a shirt and ran out the door.

She took pity on me, and stopped at a hole-in-the-wall place called Molé Molé.  She told me to stay with the car, went in and came out a few minutes later. She handed me a coffee and a few paper-wrapped bundles.  I opened one up.  "Tacos? For breakfast?

"You've never had breakfast tacos?  You're in for a treat!"

The one with scrambled eggs, fried potato and ham was okay, but the egg, cheese and chorizo sausage taco was a revelation to me.  Molé Molé was within easy biking distance from my dorm, so it quickly became a weekend morning habit.  I got Scott hooked on them, too.

Convertibles on the interstate aren't that conducive to conversation, so I was left to my own thoughts for most of the way.  I sat back and enjoyed the sunshine.

We pulled into town, and drove to the building she wanted to buy.  It was a two-story box, clad in the yellowish tan brick common in that part of Texas.  

She said, "Retail on the first floor, offices or apartments upstairs.  That's good.  It's important to diversify."

We parked in the back. "It has enough parking, but not too much.  Too much parking is wasted space."

We toured the place, and she pointed out features that she thought made it a good investment.  I tried to listen as she talked to the real estate agent, but I didn't understand most of it.  "I'll get you an offer by the end of the week, she said, and we walked back to the car.  

"What do you think?" She asked.

Just then, I noticed something.  The bricks on the north side were damp, although it hadn't rained in days.  The wall was bulging outwards, too.

"I'm only a first-year engineering student, but that doesn't look good to me."

"Hmm.  Good catch.  That why you always get a building inspected before buying it.  You don't want to buy a pig in a poke.  Water causes lots of problems. I'll mention that to my inspector."

So, that is how it started. A few afternoons each week, I helped her with her real estate business. I set up A/V and computer equipment at her business meetings, did internet research, ran errands for her, and was her general all-around gofer.

Occasionally, I provided company for dinner, but the one thing I was both hoping for and afraid of never happened. She never came on to me. In fact, she only touched me a handful of times, never flirted and rarely even joked about sex.

A few weeks later, one of my professors started his class with a news story.  The building Ash and I looked at had partially collapsed.  Dr. Drake asked the class, "What could have caused this structural failure?"

I raised my hand. "Water damage from a clogged roof drain."

"Could be, but it's important to avoid speculating without information."

"My boss and I looked at that building.  That wall was wet on a sunny day.  It was out of plumb, too."

Dr. D. stroked his chin and said, "You might be right"

Ash called me into her office after finals were over. She said, “You know, you’ve been a big help. I would have lost my shirt on the Boerne property if you hadn't spotted that wall. Also, I talked to Dr. Cotton, and he said you managed to pull off a B-. He was impressed, given your midterm grade. So, you fulfilled your part of our bargain. Now, whatever you decide about college, I’d like to keep you on. Do you still want to go to Murch next year?”

I nodded my head yes. “Good” She put a piece of paper in front of me. “This is a contract. It says that I will pay your tuition for the fall semester. In return, you agree to work as my personal assistant. You will also maintain a B average, and add a minor in business administration to your engineering classes. After graduation, you'll make donations to Murch's financial aid endowment. If you do not satisfy these terms, you will repay me. Is that acceptable?”

“Um, do you have a pen I could use?” I signed the contract, and she signed her name beside mine. Then, she pulled out an envelope and handed it to me. Inside was a check for the fall semester’s tuition, minus the financial aid I had managed to keep.

“You’ll still be responsible for room, board and fees,” she said. I wasn’t about to complain. “Now, two more things. If you are going to be my assistant next year, you’ll need more reliable transportation than the bus or your bike.” She handed me another envelope. Inside it were the keys, title, registration and insurance for an older Civic. “Consider it your bonus for stopping me from buying that building. I assume you can drive a manual? No? Well then, I’ll just have to teach you!”

"Oh, wow! Thanks!" I spluttered, at a loss for any better words.

"And the other thing. A friend of mine works for Moody and Barbour Engineering. On my recommendation, he's agreed to give you an internship this summer. You'll work for them half time, and half time for me. You can stay in my guest room. Interested?"

11