Chapter 2: Maxi: Basement Conversations
753 1 23
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“Uhh… where should she be?” That girl with fox features asked, I still have no idea what’s the deal with her aside from undead business, I still have no idea how I’m connected to that or… why am I like this? I’m so confused…

“In that circle over there” The woman in grey said while pointing at the magic circle in the middle of the room.

“Okay… [Go there]” That fox girl said while pointing at the circle. I still don’t know why but I walked to it anyway, I don’t see the need to go there but… Why am I walking there anyway?

“Does she even know what’s going on or is she still in shock?” That woman in grey commented. What’s with this whole deal! I’m… None of this makes sense!

“Teacher, how am I supposed to know that?” The girl with fox features asked, sounding rather dry. 

“Fair enough. Anyway…” Huh? Why does the circle shine suddenly? Wha-!?

*Shine*

“Now she can’t go anywhere” That woman said looking all smug. Just tell me everything already.

“So… what’s up with her?” That fox girl asked while walking closer to me, with this wall of light separating both sides.

“Just as I said, before the whole necromancy deal is all done and dusted I just changed this fella’s body a bit. Help with ego check” That woman in grey said while looking really cheeky. What the hell does she mean by ego check?

“What do you mean by that! Don’t act like you know me!” I asked, she’s being way too condescending than she has any rights to be.

“I made sure to cover my basis” She vaguely answered, does she really? I would’ve imagined her coming up to me at some point but I’ve never seen her. Ever.

“I-I’m still confused” The fox girl said, sounding appropriately confused. I would like to know what in the world is going on as well.

“The answer you need right now is who this person is before they die. It’ll be slightly long if you don’t mind” The woman in gray said to start with.

“Okay…” The fox girl replied, still sounding perplexed.

“This fellow right here used to be an adventurer who is somewhat egotistical and has horrible luck at the very last moment of their life. Died a horrible death so sudden by someone who seems so innocuous. A pretty strong fighter when alive but well… the massive reconstruction needed from how all but a few bones is left of that person and the end result is this” That woman said while pointing her staff at me. That description is… What!?

“What do you mean!?” I screamed out wanting to know the answer right this instant.

“Finally got a clue have you?” She cheekily said while not even answering even one of my questions.

“So she was a lot different before…” That girl noted. What’s with this ‘she’ nonsense they keep spouting, I’m a man!

“Basically the gist of it, also rather nasty. You need to discipline her to the best of your abilities. Your integrity as a necromancer is on the line here Mani” That woman in grey said still daring to avoid my questions!

“Answer me!” I screamed out in a voice so different from before, slamming at the wall of light that wouldn’t budge. What is wrong with me!?

*Shock*

“AaaaaaAaAHHhhh!!!” That HuRtsssssS…

“Brought back from the dead as a living corpse. All there is to it” That woman said in a chilling tone so different from how she usually is. Brought back from the dead… living corpse… that just sounds so ludicrous! How can that be true!

“Umm… Teacher, how does a living corpse differ from people that are alive again?” The fox girl asked, steering the attention away from me thankfully, that was way too nerve wracking…

“Hm that needs to be addressed isn’t it, can’t let this scared lady believe she’s a living breathing human when she’s not” That woman in grey callously replied, trying to downgrade me.

“Humans are living breathing creatures while these living corpses do not fit that definition. They don’t breathe, their body does not operate its functions that are needed to survive. Their body does not grow, they don’t grow like humans and other living creatures do. That’s why I said they’re flesh golems, they’re pretty much golems made from flesh, they move and act to be certain, but it’s not for the sake of living, or that they do to live, but because they have been directed to do so by something, usually a master, soulless and meaningless” She lectured on and on. What the hell!? This makes me so mad! There’s no way I’m something like that! I’m not a monster!

“Soulless? But this girl has a soul does she not?” The girl asked, calling me a girl again…

“That’s one odd paradox isn’t it? But really it’s rather simple. With a soul inside the undead is well… greater I supposed, they became a greater undead. Stronger, tougher, and most of all the will that came with a soul. Anyway they still don’t need to eat, they don’t need to breathe, everything is functioned via their will and yours. Their sense is emulated via their past lives and belief, then try implanting them onto the physical body that does not function like a normal human. Ultimately they’re more like golems than humans still” The woman finished explaining and I’m just… what… Why am I like this so suddenly then!? What happened back then!?

“Okay… is she still…” The fox girl tried to say something but was unable to come up with anything to say.

“If you mean sentient, like a normal living human is, then yeah she is, just don’t expect the same need as you, for example food and air, they aren’t needed” The woman answered, assuming the fox girl’s question… Her with her weird hair both orange and red in color, with a bit of purple, with those ears and tail also sharing similar colors… What is up with all of that!?

*Slam*

“Whoa. Chill. What’s up?” The woman in grey asked, not flinching at all while the other girl jumped a little bit, with her eyes perked like they’re actually real.

“What’s the deal with both of you! Why does one have fox features, why are you acting all smart!” I raised my voice and asked. I will get my answer!

“Heh, you don’t even really know about yourself yet you have the audacity to ask about us? Now that’s comedy, anyhow Mani should I tell her? She is your servant and all” I’m not anyone’s servant! Stop saying that!

“Sure? I mean I don’t see why not Teacher” The fox girl tilted her head while saying so. 

“Okay then. Anyway I guess it’s time to introduce ourselves. I’m Yeig, the grandest of mages and just someone who wants to have a bit of fun messing around. Here’s my apprentice Mani, she’s a demi-human, well actually she’s a kitsune which is somewhat more like a demon” D-Did I hear that correctly?

“D-Demon?” I… That word is terrifying, I can’t… I can’t think about it, it’s not what happened, I don’t…

“Ah right. You did die from one, must’ve traumatized you, to even beyond the grave” The woman callously said, not regarding me at all. Saying that I die, saying that I’m a servant, making me see that reflection that couldn’t possibly be me! A demon… Why a demon here!? Why again!?

“Curse my luck! Why must I deal with something like you again!?” I want to break free from this place, I’ll get out of here, I’ll make sure these things no longer get in my way!

“Silence” The voice sends a chill that I’ve never felt before…

*Shock*

“GgAaaaaHhhh!!!” It hurts!!! It hUrts!!! iT Hurts!!! Stopstopstopstopstop!

“...That’s more like it. You’re lucky I’m not your master, I’ll make you submit in a heartbeat with every method imaginable until your mind breaks into nothing. Cherish your luck, this pupil of mine hasn't developed that kind of ruthless attitude just yet” She said, giving me a scare with that soul piercing grin… I’m feeling fear to the core… something that I’ve never experienced before except for that time… 

“U-Umm… so I don’t have to do that to her right?” The demon girl asked, sounding very hesitant. I’m still feeling very numb, with some lingering pain on my body, I can barely stand.

“Nah, just makes sure she trusts you at least. You do you my pupil, I’m just trying to enforce some obedience into her so you can have a bit of smooth sailing, you're welcome” She said, sounding like a twisted maniac and just overall a bit of a nut job. She just blasted me with lightning as a demonstration, that’s nothing short of evil!

“I-I have barely done anything” The demon girl replied. So far she doesn’t act like that demon, but who knows what’s hidden, as if I can trust her just from the first glance.

“True enough. I guess I should… actually I’ll just go upstairs, you two should talk one-on-one like a master and servant pair should. I’ll come by to release that greater undead later” That woman in grey said before walking up the stairs and leaving me with a demon. Why is fate so cruel?

“U-Um…” She tried to speak up but can’t say anything, is that just a front she puts up?

“What!?” I turned my back to her, not wanting to see her, or let alone her seeing this pathetic state of mine… Just what have I become? What led to this? What have I done to deserve this? What the hell am I now? Some sort of animated dead? Why am I a woman? What’s with this cruel joke? How is this all real?

“W-What’s your name?” She asked, sounding as nervous as she has been so far. Why should I even bother.

…Why should I bother, this all feels like nothing more than misery and nothingness, I would’ve probably been better off actually dying there…

“Y-Your name?” She asked again, being pretty insistent. Ugh what a bother.

“Maxim, now shut up” I replied, not feeling anything from this interaction other than a bit of annoyance from this thing.

...Just more silence. Usually getting attention feels great, but right now it feels like some sort of pity to be recognized… Just what the hell is up with me, I can’t even try to put energy into anything, maybe I just don’t have any as whatever I’ve become now. She really just shut up when I said that.

“What do you like to do?” Guess not, she just asked another question. What a bother.

“Talk to women and slay strong monsters I guess” I replied, can’t even be bothered to raise my voice anymore, I can’t even claim that to be true, since the displeasure of dealing with these two females.

“A-Alright… Wait. I haven’t even introduced myself! My name is Mani” The demon girl introduced herself, as if I could care.

…Just another moment of silence. Nothing happened, and everything felt empty, and I couldn't even go anywhere to find something to fulfill myself.

“I’m a mage in training, and I’m trying all kinds of magic” She continued to talk about herself. What am I supposed to make of that? From that other woman I should barely matter to her.

“I-I know my Teacher is rather cruel, but like she said! I’ll be good, I promise!” Now she’s saying something silly. What kind of master acts like that? From what little I’ve heard about those higher ups they only pretend to care, wouldn’t be surprised if she’s like that.

“...Sorry I’m not the best at engaging in conversations, Tana did it so much better than anyone else” She said then muttered about someone I don’t even know. What is with this one-sided conversation, it feels… wrong, like something is missing… I’m the only one around, so I guess I have something to do with that.

“I know I’m supposed to be your master, but really I can’t possibly just make you my servant! You’re still a person!” She said like some sort of goodie two shoes. I really don’t want her to say much else, I really should say something in the matter as well.

“Yeah yeah. Say that all you want” I turned around just to say that to her face. Why should I care if both of them will just do whatever anyway? What part do I have in this?

“Sorry. I guess I should try to show it somehow… Maybe I should go upstairs and ask Teacher to release you immediately? The room upstairs is more comfortable than this, maybe you’ll like it” She suggested, saying she’ll go confront that woman and somehow make her release me. Will she even really try that?

“You doing that? Hard to believe” I replied, and she seemed to take offense from that.

“Hey! We barely knew each other! Show me a bit of faith okay?” Guess she does, and then she immediately takes off, walking up the stairs, and might not even return…

...What am I even wearing right now? A ragged blue cloth over my body, and some sort of tight shirt that is of a pale dark red color under it, there’s also this regular if torn pants giving the look of something dead I guess. Also no footwear… I’m really dressed like something that died, and I guess I did if all that is said is true… I hope I get to see myself one more time, I really want to know if I really am like that, that I truly look like that… Well I can check my chest, but I don’t feel like it, and barely feel it, I don’t have much urgency.

Huh? The lights faded… Seriously? I can actually get out of this stupid circle! I didn’t think that girl would actually do it, I thought I would’ve been trapped here and suffer.

*Zoom*

“Wha!?” Those two just appeared from nowhere! I fell down because of that, they completely took me off guard, how did they get here in a flash!?

“She really is a compassionate one, I guess any friend of that girl is like that” The woman in grey commented.

“Let’s go upstairs and talk some more okay?” The fox girl said, giving a small smile… I’ll entertain her I guess, as if I could do anything with that woman around, at least I’m not stuck in a small space anymore...

23