Volume 1 Chapter 17
720 4 51
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The door opened into another stony chamber, however the heat rushing out from the room gave her pause. Some of the walls were cracked and allowed lava to seep out and down into holes in the floor, while other walls were entirely coated in molten rock.

The chamber itself split into two paths and, once the two stepped inside the room, the door slammed shut behind them.

“W-what?” Yvette asked, glancing back at the door. “Is it--”

“No one may enter or leave without this key,” Cecily said firmly before tapping her robe. “Don’t worry. It is merely another precaution we have to ensure that these ancient relics are protected. Now come with me.”

Yvette nodded and followed the woman down the hall. “It’s so hot and stuffy in here. Is it safe?”

“Indeed. Were it not for the spells in place, very little could survive in here for long. Many have tried to break into this chamber in the past, to meet a rather quick and often painful fate. Our precautions may be somewhat over zealous, but they are for good reason.” They came to a split in the path, the elder woman turning to the right. “If you have any questions, please feel free to ask them. I’ll admit, it’s not very often I get to give one to one tours of the vault, we usually have larger groups when there are visitors.”

“Of course,” Yvette said, her heart pounding faster. The path turned down a narrow hall and she froze. On either side of the hall were pillars holding ancient treasures. A golden, gem encrusted staff, a chainmail hauberk that was made of a glowing blue material, a strange, stone disk. Dozens of other treasures lined the hall on all sides, most of which she couldn’t recognize. “I don’t know any of these. What are they?” she asked.

“I’m not surprised. These are some of our oldest treasures. This, for example...” Cecily stopped and motioned to the staff. “Was the staff of Grandmaster Zane. The first mage. Have you heard his story before?”

Yvette nodded, staring at the staff in wonder. It was clean and polished, yet if it was truly his it had to be over a millenia old. “I’ve only heard a little. He was here when magic first came into our world, wasn’t he? And he drove back the great dragon, Akaziah?”

“Yes. Over a thousand years ago,” the woman said softly. “Akaziah, the first being of magic in our world. When magic first filled our world, they say it flowed as a solid mass, erupting and covering the world in darkness for what felt like an eternity. Monsters that are common to us now had never been seen. In a matter of years, humanity had been driven from many of their kingdoms, having left nothing in their wake. The most powerful of these monsters was Akaziah.” She shook her head and motioned towards another pedestal holding a single black scale. “Grandmaster Zane was said to have appeared on this volcano on that day as well, however. If anyone knows where he came from, the records have long been lost. Some believe he was a god, others believe a student of the gods. Some even claim that he came from a future of our world, once magic had been learned and developed.”

“That’s not possible, is it?” Yvette asked.

“For a mage who was powerful enough and knew the right spell? Perhaps. I’ve never met one who could go back for more than a minute, and even that was not something he could do easily. To go back so many years? Doubtful. However, he took many students and taught them the ways of magic. To his greatest student, he gave this staff.” Cecily chuckled and shook her head. “Now? It is merely gold and jewels. If there was any power in it, it has long since faded. However, wars have been waged over such an artifact, for what it represents. When the Mage’s Association was created and the vault with it, it was the first of many sacred treasures. Now come with me.”

She nodded, staring in awe at the staff. She’d only heard bits and pieces of Zane’s story, though she’d never heard the theory of him coming from a future. With each treasure, Cecily told her small bits of information, who they had belonged to, where they had come from. Some of them, like the staff, had long since lost their power while many more were on their last remaining dregs.

“I guess I understand what Gervas meant,” Yvette said.

Cecily paused and glanced back. “What he meant? What did he say?”

“He didn’t see the point of most of these, since they’d long since lost their power.”

“Yvette, I would be careful what you believe from Gervas.”

“What? Why?” she asked, turning to the aged mage.

“He has never seen mages such as you and I in the best light. Even as a child he often had harsh things to say about our kind. His years as a guardian has only seemed to harden that belief.”

Yvette nodded. “He seems to feel that way about most nobles, as well,” she mumbled.

“I cannot say I am surprised. The vast majority of mages are of noble birth, after all. Many mages won’t even take on an apprentice unless they come from such a family.” Cecily shook her head. “He is a skilled guardian. Many mages I’ve met would not be alive if not for him. But his views can be rather harsh.”

She nodded slowly. “How long have you known him?”

“Since he was born.”

Yvette stumbled, then, her hand covering her mouth. “W-what? How did you know him then? Was he born here?”

Cecily laughed, shaking her head and covering her mouth with a hand. “Oh, of course not, silly child. I was merely a master when he was born, my tasks were far simpler then.” The woman gave a soft sigh. “He has asked me not to discuss this, however.”

“What? Discuss what? Did something happen between you and him?”

“I suppose in a manner. Do not tell him I told you. He would much rather nobody knew. But he is my grandson.”

That made her freeze in place, her eyes widening. “W-what? He’s your WHAT? But he never mentioned that you were his--” And then her cheeks turned scarlet. “G-grandmaster Cecily! I swear, I wasn’t, I have no relationship with your, with Gervas. He’s merely my guardian! That’s all!”

The woman chuckled and shook her head. “Don’t be frightened. It is hardly uncommon for guardians and mages to have a temporary relationship. I doubt you’d be the first. Besides, he was very, very steadfast in explaining that you were, in fact, a girl. To make such assertions he must have very strong feelings for you.”

“I-I am!” Yvette said quickly, feeling that old annoyance burgeoning inside.

“Of course you are, dear. There’s no need to go to such lengths for his affection, if that is what you are afraid of. It’s not entirely unheard of for those of the same gender. I had often wondered if Gervas had--”

“I’M A GIRL!” Yvette screamed, the annoyance blossoming into full anger. “Why can’t any of you understand this? Do you think I want to be this way? Do you think I put up with always having to FIGHT for it every time I go anywhere because I--” She stopped in mid sentence when she realized the elder woman was just eyeing her with a look of mild amusement on her face. “Err. I’m… sorry for yelling, Grandmaster Cecily.”

“It’s quite alright, Yvette. I’d just think on what I’ve said. If this is what you enjoy doing, then I see no reason to stop you. Now then, this coin is--”

Yvette gave another soft, exasperated sigh. She didn’t enjoy this. She hated this. She wished she could be like every other girl and not have to fight just to be what she was. She couldn’t imagine why anyone would think her desire for a relationship with anyone would make her want to endure these challenges.

Her frustration was driven from her mind, however, when they turned another corner and a thick, golden tome could be seen. Her breath caught and she barely resisted the urge to run off towards it. She felt her heart pound ever faster with every step they took closer.

Finally, they stopped in front of it for a moment. “This is the tome of forbidden spells,” Cecily said. “A collection of two hundred and seventy-three spells deemed too destructive and dangerous for any but the most trustworthy of mages to know.”

“Wait, two hundred and… I-I thought there were only a few!” Yvette asked, staring at the thick tome.

“Perhaps at first. But new magic is created all the time. That is the cycle of us mages. Apprentices are taught the basics, how to create their magic, the groundwork. Then journeymen such as yourself find a home and develop their craft, honing it. Often, you’ll develop magic that has been known for centuries. Either by practice or research. Most never go further. However, by the time those select few do become masters, they have often created three or four new spells. Many of them are, of course, useless outside of very specific circumstances. Some are valuable and recorded, taught to other mages. Some, however, are too dangerous to allow to spread. There are also the spells masters develop. Then there are all of the spells that, while different, the end result is the same and they must be forbidden as well. I wouldn’t fret too much, young journeyman. Most of the spells couldn’t be performed except by a mage specialized in their type, even if they knew all of the requirements.”

Yvette nodded, staring at the heavy tome. Inside it rested the recipe for her transformation. The spell that would allow her to be herself, forever. Permanent transformation. It took almost all of her willpower to avoid running forward, grabbing the book and trying to flee. Even if she could get away, she’d be trapped in the chamber with Cecily. There would be no way she could find the spell before she was captured.

Her heart burned with need however. She was so close to her hope. To her escape. To her cure. She wanted to get down on her hands and knees to beg the grandmaster to let her have the spell.

But if she did that, if she let the grandmaster know what she had planned, then she would never have a chance to find it.

They continued on, Cecily showing more of the relics, not that Yvette could bring herself to care. Her hope was there, waiting for her to grab it. She just had to find out how.

“Did you find the inspiration you were looking for?” Cecily asked once they passed the final relic and began to pass empty pillars waiting for new, future relics to hold.

“I think so,” Yvette said softly. “Is it okay if we stay here a few more days?”

“Of course. It has been a while since we’ve had a fresh journeyman stay in these halls. I would be delighted to have the pair of you.”

“Thank you,” Yvette said with a respectful bow of her head before they walked back into the entrance of the vault, coming down the path opposite the one they had started down.

While the grandmaster began to open the door, Yvette found her mind racing, searching for a plan she could use to get her hands on that key. If she could just get a few hours alone with that book, she could one day fix herself.

 

Please rate and review if you can to help the story get more attention. Also I'd love it if you left a comment with your thoughts on the chapter as it really helps me to identify what my readers enjoy reading.

If you'd like to help support me and my writing, please take a look at my Patreon which offers early access chapters as well as monthly voting to determine which of the series will be written next. Alternatively, full copies of my books can be purchased through amazon on my author page.

Finally, if you would like to talk more about the series or talk to me directly, please feel free to join my discord server.

51