Volume 2 Chapter 14
538 4 35
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

In the center of the forest a massive clearing had been created. The fields nearest the forest seemed to be farmland, filled with rows of smaller trees and bushes, many bursting with great, colorful fruits she couldn’t identify. The fields were filled with more of the zmaj. While some were smaller, like their escort, there were also massive ones, easily the size of Ursula or larger. They seemed to come in all different colors as well, some even strange mixes of two or three colors. They worked quickly, plucking the fruits and filling small baskets with them.

Further inland were other fields filled with different animals, grazing away happily, guarded by more of the zmaj. However, in the very center, was the most impressive of all.

A city. It was unlike any city she had ever seen, but there was no denying it was a city. The homes were shaped like miniature mountains, seeming to rise out of the ground itself. However, many of them had windows and doorways, with cloth coverings over the entrances. Within a few moments she could make out even more of the city, drawing another gasp from her.

The forest surrounded the city entirely, though much of it had been cut back. As far as she could see, however, the forest seemed to go all the way to the mountains that lay far off in the distance. “It’s amazing,” she whispered. “Do you think the dragon turtle made those homes, too?”

“I don’t know. They’re probably magic made, though,” Gervas whispered back.

Yvette looked over the zmaj working the fields and the few she could see in the city. Unlike the creatures escorting them, they didn’t wear leaves and vines. Instead, they seemed to be wearing garments of hide and wool. While she was unable to determine the genders of the smaller ones, the larger ones were still human-like enough she could sometimes tell.

As their escort led them into the city, she noticed many of the zmaj were looking at them, murmuring to themselves. She couldn’t hear what they were saying, but they didn’t make any hostile motions towards the pair.

Though she couldn’t help but notice their rather powerful frames, sharp teeth and dangerous claws. If they did turn hostile, she didn’t like her or Gervas’ chances.

Many of their escorts took off, racing quickly back into the city. The one ahead of them motioned for them to keep going before quickly going down on all fours and racing off ahead.

Yvette glanced to Gervas once their guide disappeared from sight into the city. “They seem friendly enough. I think. I hope. How long has this place been isolated?”

He gave a shrug. “A long time. I know they used to have a lot of trade, though. I’m not sure what happened since--”

“Hail!” a voice called out, making them stop.

Yvette’s mouth fell open when she saw the figure striding towards them. As tall as Ursula had been, this woman would have towered over her with ease. She was wearing a glimmering, green robe that seemed to flow around her, almost as if it was alive. Her scales, unlike the others, seemed to be made of lines of at least a dozen different colors, all bright and shiny, making her glimmer in the quickly sinking sun as if she was made of gemstone.

Four of the smaller zmaj surrounded her, taking three or four steps for every one she took. At least now she knew why her escorts had run towards the city.

The woman crossed the ground between them in a startling short amount of time, making the two pause. She then stopped for a moment before bowing her head politely. “Greetings, travelers. It has been very long since any such as yourselves had made their journey here. I am Durandet. Ruler of Cragtooth Isle, leader of the chiogn, chosen of Hsgrogn the King of the Seas and Keeper of the Flame of Rebirth.” While her voice was deep and sharp, Yvette could make out the soft feminine tone in the words. The words came out smoothly, as if they had been well practiced.

Yvette stared at the woman, her mouth open. “Hs… Hsr… err...”

“Hsgrogn,” Durandet repeated patiently. Despite her massive frame and dangerous claws and teeth, the woman still managed to give an air of gentleness. Even her smile seemed almost human-like and kind.

“I am Gervas,” he said, before motioning to Yvette. “This is Yvette. It is a pleasure. We had heard of the many zmaj that lived on this island, but we never would have imagined you would all be so…”

Durandet let out a low, strangled hissing sound like the smaller ones, laughing with amusement. “We have had many humans as our guests over the years, though it has been long since your kind have chosen to travel here.”

“There are others here?” she asked. “Humans, like me?”

“No, not now,” she said, her smile wavering slightly. “There had been. But… well...”

Yvette gulped. “You didn’t...”

“Harm them? Of course not. Unless you came here meaning harm, there would be no reason for us to hurt you. Had you intended such, Hsgrogn would have destroyed you himself. Please, come with me,” she said before turning and walking towards the city.

“Then what happened to them?” Yvette asked before following after the woman with Gervas at her side. She couldn’t help feeling uneasy. But if the zmaj intended to hurt them, they were so outnumbered she knew there was nothing she could do.

“Age, for many. Though I believe some died of broken hearts. When the Great King decreed that none would leave our island again, many of your kind tried to leave. Most met their end then. Any from that time have long since died of age, even those who took our form. The gifts of the Great King are many, but immortality is not amongst them.”

Yvette flushed and gave a small nod. “Of course. Right. Sorry. It has been a while since… have there been any others?”

“From time to time. We keep a vigil on the coast for any wanderers who do come to our lands, but it is rare. Many of them stay and live lives here. Most of those who do will walk through the Flame of Rebirth and become one with us. Others attempt to return from where they came and meet their end at the maw of Hsgrogn, for to go against his word is to seek death,” Durandet said, shaking her head. “Still others have sought the blessing of Hsgrogn and face the trials. If they succeed and are permitted to leave this isle, I cannot say. Only Hsgrogn knows.”

“What is the Flame of Rebirth?” Gervas asked.

Yvette noticed the woman seemed to stand a little taller at that, her movements getting a little more brisk. Somehow seeming more energetic, each step a little faster and with a hint of excitement to it. “Why, I am thankful you asked,” the woman said, her voice filled with pride. “The Flame of Rebirth is the greatest gift of our lord. Those who walk through it find themselves reborn, infused with the might of Hsgrogn as one of his zmaj. They fully become one of the chiogn, forsaking their past lives to live here, amongst us.”

“Wait, so it can alter someone’s true form? Can it turn people into other things?” Yvette asked, her excitement rising. “Can it change their gender?”

Durandet paused and glanced towards Yvette. “I’m… sorry? I’m not sure I understand?”

Yvette turned scarlet, her eyes averting. “Err… I mean, if it can turn someone into… well, I mean...”

“It can turn you into one like me,” she said softly, her voice filled with confusion. “Though it doesn’t change your gender. If you decide to take that path, I do not see any reason you need to fret. Our traditions are clear, however,” Durandet said and Yvette was now certain. She could see a little skip in the woman’s step, her voice filled with an almost childlike excitement. She wondered how long it had been since someone had visited this island, how often the woman had practiced this speech for the day when so. “As new visitors to our island, those who the Great King has deemed worthy to join us, allow me to show you his greatest gift. The Flame of Rebirth.”

They stepped into a small courtyard in the middle of the city and Yvette froze. Four statues stood in the middle of it, each one shaped like a massive turtle. However, rather than smooth back shells, instead long rows of spines rose from then. Their legs were far thinner, ending in claws with webbing between each. Their faces was similar to a turtles, except longer and with spines across their foreheads and rather than a beak, they had a slightly wider mouth with rows of sharp teeth. At least that answered one question Yvette had. Each statue appeared to be made of jade, with different jewels embedded across their bodies and eyes that glimmered with gold.

Between the four of them was a strange fire, seeming to burst from the ground. It seemed to change color randomly, going from the lightest blue she had ever seen, to purple, green, red and finally a yellow so dark it was almost black.

“Hs… the, err, Great King gave you that?” Yvette asked softly.

“His gift to us. So others who wish to join him, to serve him, may partake of his gift. All those who desire it may step through the fire and receive his gift and be reborn as a zmaj, one of his chiogn.”

Yvette nodded, staring at it. It wouldn’t change her gender, though. The woman had said as much. If it could, she doubted she would have been able to resist running straight into it. “It happens often?” she asked.

Despite the reptilian features on the woman’s face, the disappointment was clear. “It... did, once. Back, in my mother’s time. When more of your kind came. Many desired to live here, to stay as permanent guests, to become one with us. Now, it is only those who come of age who walk through the fire.”

Yvette nodded, before glancing to Gervas a little nervously. The woman had taken them straight here, a new thought struck her. One that made her feel worried. “Do… we have to? What happens if we don’t want to?”

“We will not force you, if that is what you fear,” Durandet said with a soft hissing laugh, the hissing seeming to reverberate through the courtyard. “There were those who decided against such a gift, but the Great King has made it clear. None may be forced to accept his gift, only those who desire it.”

Yvette nodded, though another thought flashed into her mind. “So the dra-- Great King made this?”

“Yes, the Great King created this,” she said.

“How long has it been here? Does he remake it every day?”

The woman laughed. “Of course not. This fire was his first gift to us, back when our kind first came to this island. The fire itself cannot die. Water cannot snuff it out, winds cannot move it. It is an immovable object of this land, much like our lord himself. The greatest storms of the heavens cannot make the flames so much as flicker, let alone snuff them out.”

She felt excitement begin to billow within herself, her heart beating faster.

If he could make something like this, then surely he could turn her into a girl. She lifted a hand to her chest and felt it beating ever faster. If she could meet with him and convince him to fix her, then she could fix her problem immediately, rather than fighting forever and dragging Gervas around the world trying to find everything she needed. “I have to meet him!”

Durandet paused, staring at Yvette now. “Excuse me?”

“Hiss,.. gro… err...”

“Hsgrogn,” Durandet said.

“Yes, him! I have to meet him. I have to talk with him. Please. How?”

“Here we go,” Gervas muttered. “Yvette...”

“What?” she asked.

“Excuse us, one moment,” he said before grabbing her arm and dragging her away while Durandet stared at the pair in confusion. “I know what you’re thinking,” he whispered once they were further from the woman.

“What? I’ll bet you’re--”

“You’re going right towards its mouth.”

Her cheeks burned. “I-I am not. I just… if it can make something like that, turning someone into a zmaj and--”

“It’s a dragon,” he cut her off. “It’s infusing its essence into them. It likely can’t change your form the way you want. Why would it even know magic like that?”

Yvette stared at him and felt her heart sink. Her hope shattered and she slowly lowered her eyes. She’d finally seen a way out, a way to be herself without all of the fighting and struggles. An easy way to just be her.

But he was right. Why would it know any magic like that? Any magic to fully transform her into what she needed to be? She felt tears forming in her eyes. “You’re right. It was stupid. It wouldn’t--”

“It’s not stupid,” Gervas said before reaching out and gently wiping her eyes with his thumb. “I understand.”

“It’s not--”

“Listen,” he said softly. “We’re going to do this. We’re going to get you fixed. I promised you. Together, we’ll do this. You can be you. I just don’t want you getting your hopes up for something that’s probably not going to work. I don’t want you getting hurt because of it. Okay? We have a plan. We have a way to do this. So don’t hurt yourself needlessly.”

Yvette blinked a few times and then gave a small smile. “I won’t. I promise. If… we get the scale, that’ll be enough.”

“Good. We’ll try that way, though. If… we can talk to it. If we can meet with him. Maybe he can. But don’t expect it. We have a plan, we’re going to do this. So don’t let yourself lose hope just because of disappointment, okay?”

Yvette nodded and smiled up at him. She knew he was right. She’d already begun to feel so much excitement and happiness, believing she could, finally, be fixed. So easily, too.

But having another disappointment, another failure. It would have hurt. Even now, it already hurt. They had a plan, a possible way to get her fixed. If the dragon turtle could fix her, that would be a fortunate dream come true. But it was unlikely. She couldn’t let it shake her resolve. “Thank you.”

Gervas nodded, before glancing back to Durandet. “We need to meet this… err… we need to meet the Great King. Is it possible?”

Durandet gave a soft sigh before nodding, the disappointment clear on her face. “Indeed. I cannot stop you,” she said sadly. “But please, rest. It has been a long time since we have had visitors. Must you leave so soon after arriving?” she asked.

Yvette nodded. “I have to meet him. Please. He’s the reason we came here.”

“There is only one way to meet with him, that is through the trial. I must warn you, however. It is incredibly dangerous. None who have performed it have returned since the island has been cut off from the rest of the world. But… if you desire to leave our isle, it will only be through it that you will gain his blessing.”

Yvette nodded. “I see. How do we face this trial? We--”

“Yvette,” Gervas cut her off, gripping her hand.

“Huh?” she asked, glancing back at him.

“We should rest, at least,” he said firmly. He motioned up. The sun was now almost entirely behind the mountains now, casting the world in shadows. Torches were lit across the city, illuminating them. “You’ve spent the last few days with nothing but a few crackers. Do you really think you’re in any state to deal with some trials?” he asked. “Or talk with this… the Great King?”

“I feel fine. I...” She wobbled forward, her eyes widening when he grabbed her by the shoulders. She’d been so excited, so full of adrenaline that she had nearly forgotten how exhausted she was. How empty her stomach was. Now that he brought it to her attention, however, she felt as if she was going to fall over, hitting her like a rolling troll. “I don’t feel fine,” she said sheepishly.

“I’d imagine not,” Gervas muttered before shaking his head. “If we could partake of your hospitality?” he asked the woman, glancing over to her. “Yvette has a habit of pushing herself far past where she should. Especially when she’s excited.”

Durandet lit up, her grin growing wide. “Wonderful! Of course, please! We will show you the hospitality of the chiogn!” she said proudly. “I will have the tengan prepare rooms for you, as well. But before then, a feast. You must join me and the Guardians of Hsgrogn.”

Yvette blinked a few times and stared at her. “The… what? Your people are the chiogn, right? So what is the tenogn? What are the Guardians of… err...”

“Ahhhh. Of course. My apologies. I should have explained that before. We are the chiogn, the children of Hsgrogn.” She then motioned towards the smaller creatures by her. “They are the tenogn. The tenders of Hsgrogn.” Durandet gave a wide grin, a hand moving up to where her heart was, pride in her eyes. “And the Guardians of Hsgrogn are, of course, his guardians. Those who offer the tributes of first fruit in our name to the Great King and fight in his name, should any desire to defile our home. Those twelve chosen by his flame who, should he desire, shall ride upon the Great King to slay any who incur his wrath.”

“They aren’t… weren’t humans?” Yvette asked softly. “I thought all of you were zmaj.”

“We all are, but we came from different places. The Guardians of Hsgrogn, of course, may come from the chiogn or the tenogn, though most are the former. The tenogn, however, were animals, often lizards, that have been bathed in the flames. They are altered by this, in much the same way we have been. They are as intelligent as you or I, though they cannot speak in your tongue, only in the language of dragons,” she said before turning and motioning for the pair to follow. “They are our companions. Fierce, but delightful. Yet another wonderful gift from our master.”

“So they’re like dragon pets?” Yvette asked.

The woman stopped, as did the tenogn. The small creatures let out a low hiss, different from their hissing laughter and causing a chill to go down her spine. “They are not pets,” Durandet said, her tone for the first time shifting from gentle and soft to far harsher. Yvette moved behind Gervas, suddenly all too aware of how intimidating the woman could be when she desired to. That air of quiet excitement seeming to melt away, to reveal the threatening creature behind it. “They are intelligent creatures, the same as you or I. While their origins are different, they are our companions. They are not our slaves or our pets. You’d best remember that, visitor. The Great King is gracious to those who travel to his lands. But those who decide to offend his lordship are not forgiven lightly,” she said, her tone harsh and merciless.

Yvette gulped and gave a nervous nod, a chill going down her back. “Yes ma’am, sorry ma’am. I didn’t mean to offend. I just thought… I’m sorry.”

Durandet stared at her with that intense, piercing gaze for a few more moments before it softened. She then turned back around. Fortunately, the tenogn stopped hissing as well, moving along with her. She made a series of growls and hisses and then two of the smaller creatures raced off ahead on all fours. “I understand. We all make mistakes, child. Just please, be more careful of what you say. They are a gift from our lord. To treat them as mere animals, as pets, would be a grave insult. You are our guest and will be treated kindly. But do remember you are guests here. Do not waste our kindness.”

“I’m really, really sorry,” Yvette said quickly. “I didn’t realize. I swear I didn’t mean any offense by it.”

“Then it will be forgiven. Now. A room for you to rest is being prepared. However, I must insist you join us for the sunset’s banquet, as your timing is perfect. We will prepare a true feast for you tomorrow. After you have taken some time to rest for your journey.” Durandet gave a soft, sad sigh and shook her head. “Then, I suppose, we can discuss the trial. Though I do wish you would enjoy your time here, more. Still, all who desire the trial can and must be permitted to try.”

Yvette nodded, taking a slow, small breath. Food and rest sounded absolutely divine. A few days to learn more about this trial sounded even better.

 

Please rate and review if you can to help the story get more attention. Also I'd love it if you left a comment with your thoughts on the chapter as it really helps me to identify what my readers enjoy reading.

If you'd like to help support me and my writing, please take a look at my Patreon which offers early access chapters as well as monthly voting to determine which of the series will be written next. Alternatively, full copies of my books can be purchased through amazon on my author page.

Finally, if you would like to talk more about the series or talk to me directly, please feel free to join my discord server.

 

35