9 – Ancient Dream
83 0 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“What a force of nature that woman was.” Vaan muttered as he walked out of the Guild Hall and then shook his head.

Aurelia… That was her name, right? From the interaction with her and her attitude, she seemed to be someone important… Well, that or she had an overly inflated sense of self-worth.

Vaan wasn’t sure which. Still, she did help him out, so he couldn’t have too bad of an opinion of her.

“But what am I supposed to do with this?” Vaan muttered and glanced at the silver card.

Aurelia had called it a status card. However, she also didn’t tell him how to use it.

Vaan sighed and flipped open the book she gave him instead. A casual look showed that it was a detailed and handwritten compilation of information.

The meeting with Aurelia took longer than anticipated and the sun had already set. Fortunately, there were light crystals dotted here and there along the roads, so it wasn’t impossible to see.

Still, his priority was to find a place to stay for the night… There was bound to be something like that in there if she called it a guidebook, right?

Standing next to the giant swords next to the Guild Hall, mostly due to the fact that they radiated light, Vaan flipped through the book, searching for a map. And he eventually found one sketched out near the end with meticulous details and markings, along with a key to describe each mark.

After orienting himself on the map, Vaan decided to head to the closest inn, a place called ‘Ancient Dream.’

Carefully memorizing the location and his current position, Vaan tucked the book under his arm and headed out.

Like before, there were a few people still roaming the streets, no doubt to return home, find a bar, or find a place to spend the night like him.

And also like before, people gave him looks filled with pity.

Vaan ignored them and went along his way.

Around the corner, down the main street… The inn wasn’t too far away from the gate where Vaan entered.

Straining his eyes to check the map and his surroundings, Vaan eventually arrived at the building. When he did, he recognized it. Not because he was familiar with it, but because it was the building that he stopped at to check his reflection.

He briefly remembered the fact that someone had saw him earlier from inside the building and considered finding another place to avoid the embarrassment… but decided against that.

He wasn’t in a position to be too choosy. So, firming his resolve and reminding himself to have some thick skin, he pushed the door to the building and walked in.

A bell chimed as he entered. Not long after, a smooth voice called out.

“Oh? A customer?”

There was a young man seated at a table not far from the entrance.

Vaan closed the door behind him and observed the man, just as the man observed him.

A white, button shirt with a black cloak draped over his shoulders. Crisp, black pants with slightly flared endings, covering white boots.

A pair of gold-rimmed glasses framed his sparkling violet eyes and he had a face with delicate features, one that Vaan was certain girls would be enchanted by.

Light green hair, long and slightly messy, fell to his shoulders with stray strands poking out here and there. Even so, it suited him, giving off the impression of a scholar that stayed up late to study.

And to confirm that impression, the young man held a book in his hands, keeping it open with his thumb.

The young man stood up and walked over to Vaan. As he did, his hair shifted, revealing slightly pointed ears.

An elf.

With a smile, he gave a slight bow and said, “I am Mitri Vashelt, dear customer. How might I help you on this fine evening?”

Did he not remember seeing Vaan earlier? Or was the guy being polite?

Vaan didn’t know, but he wasn’t about to bring it up. Instead, he glanced around the interior and said, “I’m looking for a room… Probably a long-term stay.”

He considered staying for just a night, but on seeing the décor changed his mind.

Rustic wooden furnishings. Walls worn with age, but well-maintained with a glossy finish. A crackling fireplace emitting a warm glow, and then a stairway leading upstairs, probably to the rooms.

It was cozy. Not only that, but somewhat nostalgic.

“Mm.” Mitri pushed up his glasses, evaluating Vaan. “In that case… What about ten gold for a month’s stay?”

“Sure.” Without hesitating, Vaan dug in his coin bag and counted out the price before placing it on the table. “That much, right?”

The elf blinked and then slowly closed his book, setting it aside.

Seeing that reaction, Vaan frowned, narrowing his eyes.

Was the guy trying to pull a fast one and overcharge him?

As if reading Vaan’s mind, Mitri shook his head. “Rest assured, dear customer. While my rates may be higher than the norm, I can guarantee that it is worth the price. This I can vouch on my name as Mitri Vashelt.”

“Mm…” Staring at the elf, Vaan didn’t get a sense that he was lying.

Mitri glanced at the coins but didn’t take them. Instead, he looked at Vaan and said, “Even so, I would like to confirm with you before I receive your patronage, dear customer. Is the price sufficient?”

Vaan stared at Mitri.

Mitri stared back.

“…Alright.” He waved his hands and said, “I’ll pay for a month.”

Mitri’s eyes widened a fraction and a warm smile appeared on his face. “Wonderful.” Sweeping up the coins, he walked over to a bookshelf on the side and pulled out a dusty tome. Grabbing a quill and an inkwell, he laid both on the table and said, “If you would kindly sign your name, dear customer…”

Vaan flipped the book open.

From the contents, it seemed to be a ledger. An old one at that, with pages yellowed by time. There were lines to write down your name, but there were only two there. One was an ‘Alice Cromwell’ written in refined writing. The other was scribbled out, illegible.

He was curious, but wrote his name down as well. A simple ‘Vaan’ in clear letters.

“Mister Vaan, is it?” Mitri took the ledger back and nodded, tucking it under his arm. “Then, if you would follow me, I will lead you to your room.” Saying that, Mitri started heading towards the staircase.

Vaan followed after him. As he did, he said, “So what exactly is included in my accomodations? Out of principle, I am trusting that you aren’t cheating me out of my money, but-“

“Again, Mister Vaan.” Mitri glanced back with a smile. “You may rest assured. An elf’s hospitality is a sacred event, so I would not dare treat you beneath what you have paid for your stay. As for what services I will provide you...” He shifted his gaze to Vaan’s ruined clothes and said, “A new attire, a quiet place to rest and relax, as well as personal meals are included among the fare.”

Vaan blinked. “And that costs ten gold for a month?”

That guard had given Vaan some copper coins to stay the night. While he didn’t know the exchange ratio between copper and gold coins, it was bound to be a few magnitudes greater, right?

Mitri chuckled. “Well, there is the saying that seeing with one’s eyes is better than hearing with their ears…” He stopped in front of a door and then beckoned for Vaan to enter. “After you, Mister Vaan.”

He was skeptical. The door was plain, an ordinary wooden one with a brass knob.

Still, since he had already gone this far, Vaan opened the door to take a look at the kind of place he had spent a tenth of his funds on.

And then he froze. “This… How is this possible?”

4