10 – Sorting Information
95 3 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

A room that wasn’t a room. Instead, it was a small resort as big as the building itself.

A bubbling hotspring with a towering oak tree above it. Colorful flowers, scattered about and emitting a refreshing aroma. A clear stream running off to the side, with a waterfall serving as the source.

Off to the side, there was a bed large enough for five people, furnished with silk curtains and a lush quilt. But not only that, there was a sky up above that reflected the outside world, showing a pure glassy moon.

And then there was a small desk with a crystal lantern, emitting soft light to read by.

Mitri chuckled as he walked inside and said, “I told you that it would be worth the price, did I not?”

Vaan could only give a blank nod in response.

Suddenly, ‘Ancient Dream’ made sense for the name of the inn.

Mitri bowed his head and said, “I will leave you to get settled in for the night. A new set of attire should already be prepared for you in the dresser. With that, I bid you a good evening.” Finishing his words, Mitri stepped out, leaving Vaan behind.

Alone once more, Vaan frowned. “…Is this a balancing act for the bad luck I’ve had since waking up?”

It was odd. Things seemed to be going too well for him. Enough to make him worried.

After a few moments though, he shook his head and decided to set it aside.

First off, a bath and relaxation.


Changing into some new clothes, a sleek black dress shirt and pants, paired with a red vest, Vaan sat down at the desk to organize his thoughts and information.

Placing his journal on one side and the guidebook he got on the other, he started taking notes to sort things out.

First of all, where he was.

It seemed that he had arrived at a city called Bruegal, home to adventurers and the Ancient Tower, a route to Babel. The city itself was under the control of the Holy Kingdom, one of the major powers ruled by the Holy King, a man said to possess the Divine Providence of Light’s Wisdom… Though the book didn’t say exactly what that did.

From what Vaan could gather, it was an ability involving light magic and divination… or something along those lines.

More importantly, the city was in the center of the continent and the largest of the five major powers of the world in terms of population and commerce. From what the book said, adventurers from all over the world intermingled in the city, making it the perfect place to get wares, both legal and illicit.

After all, since so many people passed through, it was common for more than one or two adventurers to disappear without a trace… Especially newbie adventurers seeking their fortune. Though the Adventurer’s Guild Durandal seemed to be trying to instill order in recent years by providing incentives and protections through its members and Guild Hall.

Reading that, well the first part, Vaan frowned and tapped on the page. “…Is that what happened to me?”

Was he one of those newbie adventurers who got wrapped up in trouble in the city and then was left to die?

It would definitely explain the state of his clothes when he woke up as well as the dangerous area he was in. But then again, he didn’t think that a newbie adventurer would have his ability… And then there was that strange memory he saw too.

A crystal and three enemies facing him, and then him standing off against them with just a sword and shield…

Something didn’t fit. And he had a sinking suspicion that the incongruity would come knocking sooner rather than later.

Vaan sighed and then turned the page of the guidebook to take more notes.

As to adventurers themselves, that was a catch-all phrase for ‘warriors of fortune.’ Those that wandered the land hunting monsters and seeking dungeons to gain abilities, those that took and fulfilled requests for monetary gain, those that maintained order in areas where there was either a lack of enforcement by kingdoms or major powers… And also those that entered Babel, chasing a dream.

“Babel…” Vaan muttered, tapping the word in his journal.

Nobody knew exactly what it was. According to the book, there were various ancient structures that opened a pathway to that place.

Some believed it to be the realm of the gods, which was supported by the ability to retrieve Divine Providences, abilities that defied all commonsense and turned a human into a practical god themselves.

But others posited that it was the creation of an ancient civilization much more advanced than their own. Signs of those could be seen in the technology retrieved from ruins within. Boxes that displayed lights, capable of reproducing images of areas that existed nowhere in the world. Weapons that shot projectiles more devastating than any arrow and yet simple enough to use by even an unlearned farmer.

Whatever the case, it was an isolated world in and of itself with countless ruins and dungeons that provided opportunities to gain both power and wealth beyond one’s wildest dreams.

A world that was large enough to still be completely unexplored despite being available since time immemorial, with interconnected gateways that ascended into the heavens beyond their own.

And that place…

“It’s familiar.”

…Was one that seemed to call out to him.

Unfortunately, entrances to Babel were heavily restricted, requiring either a high adventurer’s rank, which you got through performing requests for the guild, connections with the power controlling the entrance, such as a favor to the Holy Kingdom in this city, or… money. And lots of it.

Vaan had made a hundred gold coins for his jewels. In context, that was about a year’s worth of funds for the average adventurer without expenses taken away.

To enter Babel once, and that was without accounting return costs, it would be a hundred thousand gold coins. An amount that could only be earned by top-tier adventurers who likely could enter Babel regardless due to their reputation.

The benefits were great, sure. According to the book, just killing monsters in Babel were enough to enhance the body’s physique and innate potential. But on that same token, the ones that would benefit the most from that wouldn’t be able to enter.

Vaan frowned. “Wait. Something doesn’t add up…”

If the average person couldn’t afford to enter Babel. If being an adventurer was dangerous, which was a given considering that it seemed to be common for people to disappear all the time… Then why were so many people picking up the occupation and flocking here?

Both Aurelia and the guard had talked about newbie adventurers. It was a problem big enough that a major Guild was setting up a framework to help them… even so, there should be a dividing line that couldn’t be crossed due to talent.

Vaan flipped through the book, confused.

And then he found his answer.

‘While not publicly advertised, Bruegel possesses a thriving underworld auction house. In it, you can find illicit goods from Babel that can change one’s potential, inheritances from fallen adventurers that wished to pass on their abilities and experiences… even disgraced members of families with Divine Providences on the rare occasion. Although admittance to this auction house is hard to come by, you could always just shake down thugs until you reach the top of the chain. Though if that’s your plan, it’s best to do so with a bang. Speaking from personal experience.’

While Vaan had even more questions for the author of the guidebook and why they thought it was a good idea to just stroll into the underworld and just fight their way through…

“Should I do it?”

…He could see an opportunity. But before that opportunity could be utilized, he needed to have the strength to back it up. So…

Vaan pulled his journal back, rereading the notes about his ability and then he carefully flipped open the guidebook, reading the portion about ‘abilities’, ‘skills’, and ‘magic.’

As he did, his heart throbbed.

‘What are you waiting for? You have the resources this time, don’t you?’

A headache. A voice that was familiar but wasn’t his own. No, it was… but it was also different.

Vaan pulled out his status card. The one that Aurelia gave along with the book. Activating it like the section with abilities told him too, a window emerged in front of his eyes. Glowing letters suspended in mid-air.


[Status Screen]

Name: Vaan
Title: One Who Creates
Class: Adventurer - F
Age: 18 years old
Gender: Male
Race: Human

[Parameters]
Strength: E
Endurance: D
Agility: E
Mana: F

[Skills]
None


An average ‘status.’ One that wasn’t out of place for a half-baked adventurer.

But.

If his thoughts were correct. If his ability was what he thought it was since it wasn’t listed under [Skills] and since he had that title…

“…Let’s try it once.”

Directly modifying his parameters. Enhancing his body through the Spark of Creation.

It should be possible- No. It had to be possible.

Then, the most useful parameter to change in the short time period was…

Gah. So much exposition... Hopefully it's not too boring. Either way, thanks for reading! I'd appreciate you leaving some feedback, be it comment, favorite, or rating! I'm hoping to pick up the pace soon to get to the more exciting bits. Hopefully it won't take much longer... Regardless, take care and see you next chapter!

3