11 – Mana Surge
89 0 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Mana.

Every living being possessed it in some capacity. Humans had it in the form of a vague energy that some had more fluency with. Elves were capable of using it as an extension of their own body. Demi-humans varied in their application, depending on the particular race’s characteristics.

But whatever the case, the common usage of mana was as a fuel source for spells and abilities. With a greater mana pool, as well as with a greater ability to handle mana, differences in physical strength, speed, and even combat techniques could be overcome.

At least, to a certain level. After all, there was no way to circumvent abilities that defied common sense.

A sword that could cut three times at once. A slash that inverted causality to strike first without needing to connect, making it impossible to evade.

Even so, for Vaan, that should be enough. At least, he hoped it would be enough.

Spark of Creation allowed him to create tools, items, and abilities. The only problem he had was a lack of material. But that problem could be solved with mana.

Or so he believed.

Then, in order to accomplish that…

Making his very body a conduit for mana. Using his very being as a means to channel it, similar to the elf that he just met. A way to be able to create rooms as elaborate as the one that he was staying in.

-A foolish request.

Despite its seemingly limitless application, there were limits to his power. Not only that, but perfect control was something that he lacked.

So.

The ‘Spark of Creation’ that granted his wishes. The tiny ember that burned what it was given as fuel to achieve the result requested by its wielder.

When given Vaan’s entire body as a medium-

“Kuh!”

-It did exactly as it was requested.

The sensation of burning up from the inside out. A boiling sensation in his very blood. His bones, turning to dust and then being reforged.

Vaan’s eyes shot open and he kicked himself off his chair, landing on the ground.

A mistake.

Before he realized it, he had made a mistake.

His body convulsed, no longer abiding by his will as his nerves went into overdrive, ripped apart by the faint spark of light. At the same time, the spark of light carved paths throughout his body, conduits to draw in the ambient energy directly. To accumulate, extract, refine, and handle the raw material of life itself.

Vaan grit his teeth.

Stop it. He had to stop it.

He couldn’t move his body or see what was going on, but he instinctively knew. That if the procedure went on, he wouldn’t be able to continue existing. That everything would be ruined and he would be forced into a state neither dead nor alive.

But at the same time, he couldn’t directly stop it. Maybe if it had been something small, maybe if he had more practice… But he was too eager.

Like a child playing with fire.

‘Not… like this…!’

Pain flooded his body. Hot and cold flashes from the spark of light carving paths throughout his body and then ‘something’ rushing in.

He couldn’t stop it. He couldn’t stop the event from going on.

So then, if he couldn’t stop it…

A way to keep him alive. A way to keep himself as human despite everything occurring.

Frantically closing his eyes and wracking up all the concentration and willpower he could muster, Vaan envisioned it. A skill that would restore his body being ripped apart to that of a human’s. An ability to prevent his power from overwhelming him completely… No, to prevent something like this from happening again in the future.

Was it working? Was it just an illusion?

Vaan couldn’t tell.

Burning pain in his body, cold flashes from rushes of mana coursing through the carved path, the spark of light searing across his veins, flesh, bones, mind…

‘Can’t… lose consciousness…!’

The one thing he couldn’t do. If he did that, he had a feeling that it would be over. That ‘he’ wouldn’t be the one opening his eyes.

So he couldn’t. He couldn’t black out. He had to focus. He had to focus on pulling that power back as best as he could. He had to focus on controlling the ability that he took for granted and let run wild without thinking through.

…How long had passed?

Vaan couldn’t tell, stuck in a limbo of pain and despair.

But eventually, he couldn’t endure it any more.

The spark of light raced up to his head, and then he knew nothing else.


‘So you’re going with them after all?’ A sharp female voice.

‘Of course. It’s my chance to finally change my fate.’ Another voice. Male. Familiar but foreign.

A soft sigh, and the female voice continued. ‘And if you can’t? If they betray you instead?’

‘Then I’ll just haunt them from beyond the grave. Isn’t that obvious?’

‘You know that’s impossible. The resurrection spell doesn’t work on someone like you.’

‘Right now.’

‘The Baptism won’t change that Fate. Even if you achieve a Divine Providence-‘

‘You worry too much. And you know it as well as I do. This… is my limit.’

Silence. And then the female voice called out again. ‘You stubborn fool. I definitely won’t uphold your ideal if you die. If you want to change it, do it yourself V-“


“…aan? Mister Vaan!?”

An insane pressure against his body. A presence that seemed to engulf the very world.

Sensing that, Vaan gasped and opened his eyes.

A sigh of relief echoed. “Thank the stars. You’re awake.”

Vaan blinked, finally registering what he was seeing.

Mitri stood over him, the elf dressed in his usual attire- No. He was a bit different.

There was a crystal wand in his left hand, shining with silver light and his hair seemed messy, windswept.

Vaan blinked again and then realized that he was on the floor near the desk, sprawled on his back.

Mitri sighed and said, “I thought that you might have been injured when I saw you before, but to think that you suffered such grievous wounds…”

Vaan slowly blinked and muttered, “Wounds?”

Mitri nodded. “Countless internal injuries riddled your body. While I believe I healed the most of them, I am far from confident that I managed it… But at the least you will live.”

Live. Wounds…

Vaan remembered the events that led him to the current situation and let out a wry chuckle.

Mitri sighed. “Honestly, what a troublesome guest… Perhaps I should have charged my usual rate instead.”

“Usual rate?”

“Mm? It’s nothing.” Mitri shook his head and said, “Your body seems to be healing itself well enough. For now just lay there for a while longer and rest. I’ve modified the room’s settings to restore injuries and provide some simple food to aid in recovery.” He paused. “Do you have any urgent affairs to tend to?”

“No.”

Mitri nodded. “Then I implore you to remain here and rest until you are well. Of course, as you are my guest, I will not stop you if you decide otherwise… But I would ask that you follow my advice.”

“…Thanks. I will.”

“Good.” Mitri stepped back and said, “Some porridge will appear on the table when the room deems you fit to eat. Of course, if you wish for it sooner, simply make a request and it will appear. Or call me if you have need of me.”

“I understand.”

Mitri stared at Vaan for a while longer and then said, “In that case, I will leave you be for the time being.” With that, he turned around to leave again. But at the door, he stopped and said, “Ah. And I would politely request that if you intend to experiment with your abilities you refrain from going too far. While my rooms are fairly durable, abilities on the par of Divine Providence will damage them.”

Vaan froze, turning to look at Mitri.

“I bid my leave.”

With that, the door shut, leaving Vaan alone again.

4