19 – Desire, Decision
64 1 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“Hm… So that’s how it is,” Vaan muttered.

Evelyn Edenia was her name. A broken-hearted princess with decent stats… Even a Divine Providence, albeit sealed. But that extra parameter and her second skill…

Glancing at Thomas, he said, “You really ‘trained’ her well, didn’t you?”

From what he remembered from the book, Mental Corruption was a negative parameter. A measure of how far one’s mind had deviated from normal thinking patterns. In other words, how ‘normal’ a person was in comparison to the average person. For it to be ranked A of all things… and for her to have Advance Nightly Pleasures… they must have inflicted countless scars on the young woman’s… no, on the girl’s heart. Her age was only barely into adulthood, and it was possible that she had been captured even before then.

Thomas grinned. “Indeed we have. All the better for you, isn’t it? To have such a pure princess at your disposal while being skilled enough to put even the women in the Violet Palace to shame. It’s every man’s dream, isn’t it?”

Vaan had mixed feelings about that, but he wouldn’t disagree. Instead, he turned towards the princess.

Did she notice the change in ownership? When Vaan stared at her, she stood up from the chair and bowed low, giving him a good view of the valley in her chest. “I greet you, Master Vaan.” At the same time, she held out the sacred sword in her hands, as if offering it up. “Your blade.”

Vaan took it and strapped it at his side. After that, he kept staring at Evelyn.

The beautiful girl kept her gaze lowered, as if not daring to meet Vaan’s eyes. A submissive attitude fitting of one who knew her place.

Ba-dump.

Again, that mix of emotions. Desire, anger, and indignation and the injustice.

Suppressing them, Vaan said, “Raise your head.”

She did, and then stared at Vaan with those lifeless violet eyes.

Vaan frowned.

Thomas noticed and said, “Is something the matter?”

“…No. I was just lost in thought.”

Vaan stepped forward and grabbed the girl’s left hand. Pulling the ring out from his pocket, he placed it on her ring finger. After that, he did the same with his own ring.

He thought she would react, but there was nothing. No surprise, no gratitude… a doll-like gaze. Robotic and lifeless.

Evelyn bowed her head and said, “Thank you, Master Vaan.” That was the extent of her reaction. But the words were cold, monotone.

But what was he expecting really? A girl who had suffered a betrayal and underwent training to be suited as a toy… Well, at least she would be alright with him. While Vaan wasn’t a good person, he wouldn’t use her until she died like those sleazy bastards planned to do.

“Done examining your product, Mister V?” Thomas called out.

“Yes. Now, are you going to lead me out, or…?”

“Here.” Thomas flicked his wrist and sent something flying towards Vaan.

His eyes widened, but he somehow managed to grab it. “This is…?”

A silver card with a half-smiling and half-crying mask etched on it in black.

Thomas smiled and said, “My personal calling card. I’ll send you messages with it and you can send me messages as well. Think of it as a direct line for the Dark Mark’s most esteemed guest. It’s also a discreet way to transfer goods. I’ll send anything I think might be useful your way, and I’d appreciate it if you could do the same.”

There was a catch to it. Vaan could sense that it wasn’t that simple. However, he didn’t have any particular reason to refuse, so he nodded and pocketed the card. “I’ll keep that in mind.”

“Then, with that, I’ve kept you long enough.” Thomas waved his hand and a door opened up in the wall. “That will lead you back to the main street of Bruegal. It’s late, but you should be fine as long as you change out of that suspicious getup.”

Right. Vaan had forgotten he had that on. He put the mask away in his bag and dissolved his black cloak.

Seeing that, Thomas nodded and said, “As for your coins, they’ll be in the card. Feel free to transfer them whenever you want. As for how to use the card, if you think about wanting an explanation or say help while holding it, you should get the information you need. Ah, and don’t worry about losing it. That card is bound to your mana, so it should show up again when you think about it.”

“Alright.” With that, his business was finished. “Then I’ll be leaving. Try not to get too greedy and meet another bad guy like me, Tommy.”

“Don’t get sealed away by the paladins or killed off by the first princess, Mister V. It’d be a shame to have such a useful client vanish overnight.”

After exchanging those words, Vaan grabbed his new slave’s left hand and headed through the exit.

Like Thomas said, the door dropped them off in the midst of the main street, near the plaza. The door was disguised as one from a non-descript building, but when Vaan turned around to check it, the door opened into darkness.

“That guy isn’t the one in charge without reason, huh?”

The ability to bend space so casually… Vaan really was fortunate that the man misunderstood his true nature.

Shaking his head, Vaan focused on the other issue at hand… or rather, in his hand.

Evelyn Edenia. The second princess of Edenia who was disowned for her failure. The doll-like and pure beauty who was betrayed, captured, and suffered countless scars to become the perfect night-time companion. A living person turned into a doll or potential toy.

Staring at her face… Vaan felt strange. The desire to protect, the desire to make her happy, the desire to dominate her… it was complicated.

Whether that was due to his true nature, the circumstances, or a side-effect of his power going out of control earlier, he didn’t know.

But whatever the case… there was no one stopping him from indulging in such a pure beauty. She wouldn’t refuse him, and would willingly give herself up. But that was because her mind had been shattered. That free will was born from forced captivity and other shameful acts breaking her spirit.

On the one hand, Vaan thought it would be good to have a loving companion by his side in this new world as he tried to resolve the mysteries surrounding him.

On the other hand… there was a dark desire inside of him whispering to simply dominate her.

“Is something the matter, Master Vaan?” Evelyn tilted her head and stared at him with those violet eyes.

Beneath the night sky, she shone even brighter. Her pale skin and silver hair made her seem like a fairy from the moon. And her crimson lips seemed ever so enticing…

‘So then take her. You can.’

Vaan clenched his right hand and looked away. “…It’s nothing. You just seemed beautiful.”

Evelyn tilted her head. “I… do not understand?”

“It’s fine if you don’t.”

Yes. That was fine.

If Evelyn’s heart had been shattered, if her mind and spirit had been crushed, he would just slowly heal her. Acts of kindness and warmth. Bit by bit, he would piece her soul back together. And at the same time, he would entrench his presence into her very being, until she couldn’t live without him. And then at that time, she would give herself up with a sound mind, not that shattered psyche she possessed now.

That was better than indulging himself in her body.

A devoted, beautiful, and pure young woman. Not just a bed-warmer, but an out-and-out companion. Or perhaps even a lover.

‘Hm… Fine.’

Vaan nodded.

Evelyn simply stared, appearing a bit confused.

Vaan shook his head and then turned back to look at Evelyn. “Since we’re going to be together for a long while, let’s do an introduction.” He pointed to himself and said, “I’m Vaan. Rookie adventurer, but adept mana user. What about you?”

Evelyn blinked. “I… am Master Vaan’s slave.”

Vaan shook his head. “I know that. I meant your name.”

“Name?”

“That’s right. What should I call you?”

Evelyn was silent. “…You may call me whatever you wish, Master Vaan. A lowly slave like myself will take on whatever role you designate me.”

Vaan sighed and ran a hand through his hair. “Don’t you have anything you want to be called? Anything you want to do?”

“I exist only to serve you, Master Vaan. Such desires are unnecessary.”

It seemed like it would be tougher than Vaan thought. Well… it wasn’t like he didn’t have time.

“Fine. In that case...” He paused to consider it and said, “Eve. That’s what I’ll call you.” Saying that, Vaan smiled and held out his hand. “I’ll be counting on you.”

Evelyn… Eve stared between Vaan’s hand and his face. For a second, a hint of emotion flickered in those lifeless eyes. But it was too quick to catch. Whether surprise, anger, regret, or something else, Vaan didn’t know. However, it was a sign that she wasn’t completely gone.

After a moment of silence, Evie grabbed Vaan’s hand. “I will not disappoint, Master Vaan.”

Vaan’s smile widened. “Good. Then… let’s go. Mitri’s probably wondering where I am at this hour.” Vaan turned around and started walking towards the Ancient Dream while still holding Evie’s hand.

She tensed a bit at the sudden movement, but soon followed close behind him, matching his pace.

2