23 – An Idle Discussion
56 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“E-Eh?” Evelyn blinked and then recast the spell, staring at her status screen. But seeing that it didn’t change, that meant that she wasn’t seeing things.

It was different from what she remembered.

Those men had flaunted her status to her countless times during their ‘training’, so she had a vivid memory of what it should be.

But it was different now.

Her name was back. While a different alias was being used… Eve, instead of Evelyn Edenia, the name was still there instead of being stricken.

Not only that, but her title had changed as well. Instead of ‘slave’ or ‘toy’ or ‘doll’ like it had been in the past, now it was ‘Vaan’s Beloved Companion.’

Seeing that, Evelyn… No, her name was ‘Eve’ now. Eve turned to look at her Master and frowned. “Does he… care for me that much?”

A ‘Title’ was a declaration by the world itself, recognizing one’s feats. Thus, for her to be recognized and given the title of ‘Vaan’s Beloved Companion’ meant that a significant enough event had occurred for it to be granted.

Realizing that made Eve flush at the unexpected affection, so she quickly changed her focus and ran down the rest of the status screen.

Her class… that was different now too. While she was definitely still a slave, something she could tell from the conditions at the bottom and the bond she felt with Master Vaan, it wasn’t her class anymore. Instead, she had become a ‘Restored Princess.’

Did… he give her back her class as the Sacred Sword Princess? No, that couldn’t be it. It was similar, but Durandal no longer shone in her hands and probably never would again.

Another question she had to ask Master Vaan when he was awake.

But most importantly of all…

“It’s gone?”

Mental Corruption. The parameter that reflected her shattered mind, what she used to escape from the harsh reality. In its place was a different parameter, Mental Fortitude.

Unlike Master Vaan’s Mental Power, which was an unknown extra parameter, Eve recognized this one.

Mental Fortitude… It was a parameter that prevented doubt or despair. A parameter that was obtained after reaching the lowest point in life and then picking yourself up with the strength to continue onwards.

Eve didn’t earn it. If she had, then she wouldn’t have had Mental Corruption. But since that was gone, replaced by Mental Fortitude… taken with everything else, as well as the fact that the skill those cruel men forced her to obtain that changed her body completely was sealed away…

Walking over to the young man asleep on the chair, Eve stared at him and muttered. “Master Vaan is too kind.”

How much effort must it have taken? How many resources did he use?

To not only buy her in the auction at such a high price, forestalling all the other powerful figures there, but to pull her out of the darkness where she threw herself away instead of just leaving her as a broken doll…

Giving her the strength to move forward with her wounds and terrifying memories instead of just erasing them…

And then, seeing how he was fast asleep on the chair instead of on the bed with her out of consideration for when she woke up…

Eve smiled and then leaned over to kiss Vaan on the cheek. “Thank you, Master. Rest well.”

Did he notice? For a brief moment, a smile flashed on Vaan’s face. But then it quickly faded, replaced with a neutral and ambivalent expression.

Seeing that, Eve decided to let her Master rest and take a look at where they were.

From what she remembered, they had arrived at an inn, but this room definitely wasn’t one that an ordinary inn would have.

Curious, she walked over to the door and then left.

Almost immediately, her eyes had to adjust to a darkened hallway, lined with other doors.

Eve frowned and then glanced back. Despite how odd it was, it appeared that the scenic place was truly a room in the hallway. Then, were the others just as luxurious? Or was Master Vaan’s an exception?

Realizing that she was going on a tangent, Eve shook her head and lightly slapped her cheeks. “Focus, Eve! You need to be of use to your Master now!”

She wasn’t a princess anymore, at least not officially. Now she was just Vaan’s slave. While her Master was kind enough to pretty up her role, it didn’t change the fact that her life was now devoted to his.

So then she should be acting accordingly. “Let’s see…” Eve muttered and placed her right hand on her chin. “I should bring him breakfast, right?”

That was what the servants usually did for her back at the castle. In that case, her Master would probably be pretty happy if she did the same, right?

With that intention in mind, Eve made her way down the nearby staircase and towards the first floor of the inn.

As she stepped off the last step and walked into the open area on the first floor-

“Ah. I see that you’re up quite early, young lady.”

-A sophisticated male voice called out to her.

Eve flinched and turned towards the source of the voice. At the same time, she instinctively reached for Durandal… and then remembered that she didn’t have it. Her eyes widened and she frantically took a few steps back, stumbling on the stairs. But before she could fall down, someone grabbed her arm, propping her up.

“Calm yourself. I mean no harm to you.” The voice called out again, calm and reassuring.

Considering what happened to her before, it only increased Eve’s paranoia and concern. But this time, Eve got a proper look at the speaker.

A handsome elf with light green hair, long and slightly messy. A white, buttoned shirt with a black cloak draped over his shoulders and matching pants with flared ends, as well as white boots. Gold-rimmed glasses that gave off a scholarly air, along with a book clutched beneath his arm.

He was familiar.

While Eve’s memories were still a bit hazy, she remembered him being the one to greet Master Vaan and her at the door when they walked in.

Recalling that, she let out a sigh of relief and then bowed her head. “My apologies, Mister.”

Mitri let go of Eve and stepped back. “Oh, it’s no trouble at all. I’m quite aware of the fact that waking up in a foreign area might be frightening.”

Eve raised her head and smiled.

Mitri smiled back and said, “Now, with that small mishap out of the way, allow me to introduce myself.” He bowed and said, “I am Mitri, owner of this humble establishment.”

“It’s a pleasure to meet you, Mister Mitri.”

Mitri raised his body and stepped back. “Oh no, the pleasure is all mine. It is not every day that a young lady like yourself walks through these doors, Princess Evelyn.”

Eve frowned and then sighed. “It’s just Eve. Princess Evelyn no longer exists.”

Mitri raised an eyebrow. “Is that so? Well, if that is your decision.” He made his way back into the main area and sat down at the table, pulling out his book again.

Eve followed him in, but stood in the center of the room, taking a look around.

The area was empty, but well maintained. Even so…

“You don’t have many customers, do you, Mister Mitri?” Eve turned back to the elf and asked her question.

Mitri chuckled. “I’m afraid not. But it’s no trouble. An old man like myself makes do on his savings.”

“…Did you not say that a long-lived elf like yourself needs some spending money for your retirement?”

Mitri chuckled again and said, “And it is true. Every gold coin counts when you can no longer move about as freely as you used to in your old age.”

Eve somehow found that hard to believe about the elf, but decided to let the topic be.

“In any case,” Mitri said. “I would have expected you to be with Mister Vaan. Is there any particular reason that you have come down alone?”

Eve shook her head. “Master is still asleep, so I wanted to come and see if there was anything I could do for him. Last night took its toll on him, so-”

“Oho?” Mitri raised an eyebrow.

Eve flushed and shook her head. “I-It’s not like that! Master Vaan was a perfect gentleman and didn’t do anything to me last night!”

Mitri chuckled. “Of course not, Miss Eve. I just wanted to tease you a bit. You reminded me of someone I knew a long time ago so my bad habit came out. Apologies.”

Eve blinked. “Bad habit?”

“Yes. Such a cute and naïve young girl was so easy to tease… Particularly when it came to her beloved companion. Since then, I always had a fondness for poking fun at people... Ah, but please, take a seat.” He gestured towards the chair across from him.

Eve hesitated, but since her Master trusted the elf… and since elves were famous for their hospitality, she did so.

Mitri waved his hand, causing a teapot to appear. Holding it up, he said, “Would you like some tea, Miss Eve?”

Eve’s eyes widened and she let out a bright smile. How long had it been since she had a proper cup?  Not wanting to let the chance slip by, she quickly nodded and said, “Yes please!”

“My. How eager… But of course.” Mitri conjured a pair of porcelain cups and then poured tea in both before sliding one over to Eve.

The former princess carefully held the cup and took a slow sip. When she did, her eyes lit up with joy.

Mitri closed his eyes and took a sip as well. After, he let out a content sigh. “A bit of Noble Gray in the morning is always refreshing, is it not?”

“Mmhm!” Eve started to take another sip, but then she remembered that the elf was a stranger and that this wasn’t back at the castle.

Mitri took another sip, his eyes closed in relaxation.

Realizing that, Eve wasn’t quite as quick to take a sip. Instead, while Mitri’s eyes were still closed, she quietly cast Libra on the elf to try and see his status-

Without opening his eyes, Mitri set his teacup down and said, “Now that’s a bit rude, isn’t it, Miss Eve?”

Eve flinched and averted her gaze. “M-My apologies, Mister Mitri.”

The green-haired elf waved his hand and said, “It’s fine. I’m well accustomed to my guests attempting such acts. But I do wish to warn you. While ‘Libra’ is a handy spell, people and monsters sensitive to mana can detect and cancel it.”

Eve stiffened.

They… could? Then did her Master detect it earlier and just let it be? Or was he that exhausted that he couldn’t do even such a simple thing?

Either way, Eve felt another surge of gratitude for her Master. Ah, but she didn’t forget to thank Mitri for the pointer. Lowering her head, she said, “Thank you for the lesson, Mister Mitri.”

“Mm. So long as you know. But if you’re curious about who I am, you could simply ask.”

“Then… who are you, Mister Mitri?”

The green-haired elf smiled. “Isn’t it obvious? I’m the innkeeper of this humble ‘Ancient Dream’.”

Eve blinked “That’s… it?”

Mitri nodded. “The important parts at least. If you want a bit more information, I suppose I could tell you that I’m a retired adventurer. These days I just idle away in magical research and cooking for my hobbies. Ah, and maintaining the inn, of course.”

Eve frowned. Mitri seemed to be more than what he was letting on. While she hadn’t been adventuring long, Eve was familiar with the air around powerful people. Her father was one of them, as well as the knight commander. Yet, Mitri seemed a lot stronger than both of them. And not just by a little either.

“In any case,” Mitri said. “How about you, Miss Eve? You never did completely explain why you came down here. Were you just restless waiting for your Master?”

“Ah!” Eve looked to Mitri and said, “I wanted to bring Master Vaan some breakfast.” She paused. “I’m… still not sure as to what my duties are as his slave, but I wanted to at least do that for him. Especially after all that he’s done for me.”

“Mm…” Mitri nodded. “Yes. That does seem fair. That young man did perform quite the ridiculous feat. After all.” The green-haired elf stared at Eve and said, “Considering the state you were in last night, Princess Evelyn truly should have been ‘dead.’”

2