24 – A New Beginning – End of Prepratory Arc
190 3 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“E-Eh?” Eve stammered and said, “What do you mean?”

Dead? Her?

Mitri paused and said, “I suppose that is a bit unfair. I should say instead that I expected you to not be conscious come morning and remain as you were… or worse. After all, you were quite the convenient existence as you were when my Esteemed Guest brought you back with him.” The elf took a sip from his tea and then said, “The progeny of a Divine Providence bearer, a beautiful young woman, one with her mind shattered to pieces… Quite frankly I am surprised that my Esteemed Guest did not fall into sin.”

Eve frowned and said, “Master isn’t like that.”

“Indeed.” Mitri smiled and said, “I am delightfully surprised that he is not. Moreover, I am equally surprised at his act of restoring your mind. Never in my entire life have I seen such a successful outcome.”

Eve started to nod, but then she stopped. “E-Eh? But aren’t elves famous for their spiritual healing?”

“Indeed,” Mitri said. “But some wounds cannot be restored, even with time or healing magic. Among those are the wounds of the heart.” The green-haired elf sighed. “To be honest, when I saw Mister Vaan walk in with you last night, I thought that it was a shame such a bright soul was shattered so young. Yet, here you are, hale and whole. Damaged, true, but all the stronger for it.”

Eve frowned. “Is it… that incredible?” She already thought that it was amazing, but from how Mitri was framing it, maybe it was a bigger deal than she thought?

“It is.” Mitri nodded and said, “Normally, there would only be two outcomes to a case like yours. The first is completely erasing the painful memories. However, with how shattered your ego was, it would have turned you into a new person.”

Eve nodded, remembering the state she was in. She could see how easily it could have turned out that way.

The other is to carefully try and mend together your broken mind. It would be difficult, but possible. Yet, with how shattered you were, it would have left you with an eternal scar on your heart. A heavy burden that would plague you for the rest of your life.”

She could see that as well. With the terrible things that had happened to her, what she was forced to endure, she… was surprisingly fine?

Eve’s eyes widened. “E-Eh?”

Mitri smiled. “You’ve noticed it as well?”

Eve gave a hesitant nod. “It… should be worse than this?”

She remembered the pain, humiliation, and hurt she had endured. Yet, instead of drowning in those emotions, they felt somewhat detached. No, more than that, she felt a stronger emotion over them. A determination to not let it happen again. A resolve to continue forward regardless of the tragedies she endured.

It was a quiet warmth, almost like the time she first drew Durandal from the altar.

Confused, Eve placed her hands over the source of it. When she did, she found her hands clasped over her heart.

Mitri shook his head. “That young man is just full of surprises. It really was a good thing that I rented him a room. He’s given me quite a lot to think about in my old age.”

Eve tilted her head and looked to Mitri.

The elf stared back and said, “What is it?”

She paused for a moment and then said, “Could… you tell me more about my Master?”

“Well,” Mitri said. “I do not know much about him as we just met the other day… but I suppose I could tell you what I can guess about him.”

Eve nodded. “I would appreciate that, Mister Mitri.”

“Mister Mitri, hm?” Mitri shook his head.

“Is… that inappropriate?” Eve frowned. She hadn’t realized that it might have been disrespectful…

“No, no. I just find it amusing. To be called Mister Mitri again, and by you of all people… Could this be fate, or karma, I wonder?”

“Hm?”

Mitri smiled. “It’s nothing. Merely the musing of an old man. Now, about your master… Well. To begin with, he came across this place in quite the amusing manner…”


Vaan’s eyes snapped open. Like a switch had been flipped, he immediately awoke.

“What was that…?”

He frowned, clutching his head. It was throbbing with pain, but at the same time, fragments of memories and emotions were stirring. Words and voices familiar and yet foreign to him.

“Choose…? That’s what they said, right?”

Lingering wills and obssessions that made up who Vaan was. Did they resurface after he developed the Restoration skill?

Now that he was aware of them, he could sense it. Three distinct people- No, it was more like ‘personalities.’ Not completely separate identities from himself, but personas with distinct desires, traits, and abilities.

One seemed to be a young and naïve adventurer who was struck down trying to help a person he cared for the most.

Another was a bitter young man whose future kept being blocked at every turn, who was never able to achieve anything but his undying thirst for the power to cut down everyone in his path.

And the last was an old man, one who reached the peak and no more. Who wished to see what heights were beyond the limits, but failed at the final step.

That was all he could remember- No, all that was left to restore.

Fragments of a fragment of a person’s identity, leaving behind only their ‘will’ and scant memories that they couldn’t let go even in death. But even those were faint and washed out, leaving only the knowledge and not the actual memories.

Vaan sighed and then shook his head. “What a mess.”

It answered some questions but brought up all sorts of others.

For one, it seemed like he wasn’t just ‘Vaan.’ In fact, now he was certain that the name of the body he possessed wasn’t actually Vaan, but something else. And he was also fairly certain that Vaan wasn’t the name of any of the other wills that were with him.

Which meant that he… Vaan, was someone- Or something else entirely.

Human, primarily. But also more than that.

But then that brought up the other question. If he possessed all of these wills and his Spark of Creation… how did he get them? And who were those people that made up ‘Vaan’?

“…Seems like I still need to climb Babel.”

In the end, his ultimate goal hadn’t changed.

There weren’t any answers here. The only solution he had was to see if there was something inside that mythical place to answer his questions.

Furthermore, it seemed to be a place that the other wills all agreed to… So it was settled.

Vaan stretched and then took a look around.

The blue sky and a peaceful nature scenery greeted him. Not the true outdoors, but close enough to it to be mistaken for it. His room at The Ancient Dream.

As he started to stand up, he realized that Vivian was still on his lap.

The newly born sacred sword warmed, seemingly happy that he was awake.

Vaan smiled at that and said, “Well, aren’t you eager?”

Vivian vibrated and then vanished, resting within his soul again.

Vaan shook his head and then glanced over at the nearby bed.

Eve was gone. It seemed like she had woken up before him.

Staring at the empty bed, Vaan muttered, “I hope she isn’t too upset.”

It would have been a jarring experience for her to wake up in a strange place with her memories back.

Heck, he knew that it had been jarring for him. While it wasn’t quite as eventful as his immediate life or death situation, Vaan was sure that it would have been startling for Eve as well.

After all, she would have woken up to see a strange man sitting in the room where she fell asleep. It wasn’t surprising at all to see that she had left.

Well… the contract was still present, so it she wouldn’t have done anything too foolish like trying to run away.

Vaan got up and stretched. “Let’s see… It should be morning about now, right?”

From the clear blue sky above, and knowing that the scenery reflected the outside world, that seemed to be the case.

“What should I do today?” Vaan frowned and placed a hand on his chin to think.

Reprioritizing with the new information… the end result was still finding a way to get into Babel.

…Actually, the more pressing matter would likely to get out of the city.

With Eve’s identity, even if obscured by the ring Thomas gave her, there was a high likelihood that trouble would come their way. Especially considering that the first princess Levitica, Eve’s older sister, had been desperate enough to offer herself up to replace Eve.

While it was likely that they were safe for now considering how powerful Mitri appeared to be, Vaan didn’t want to take any chances.

‘It’s too dangerous.’

[Right. Those bastards will come knocking down the doors any minute to take her away from you.]

Knowing Roy, he also won’t take you buying both the princess and the sword lightly.

Vaan nodded.

That made sense. In that case-

Wait. Who was-

A knock at the door interrupted Vaan’s thoughts.

Soon after, a clear and somewhat shy voice called out. “Master Vaan? Are you awake?”

“I am.”

And apparently hallucinating.

He frowned, trying to recall the voices he just heard. He… didn’t imagine them, right?

Silence.

Vaan’s frown deepened.

“I’m coming in!”

Before he could think on it too long, the door opened.

A beautiful young woman with an alluring black dress stood walked in. Long silver hair and sparkling violet eyes, a bright and lively smile completely opposite of what she had yesterday.

Ba-dump.

A strange emotion. This time, it was clear, not mixed like before.

Happiness, contentment… and nostalgia?

The lively gaze in her eyes was new, and she seemed a bit different now that she wasn’t so listless, but he clearly recognized her.

Confused at his own emotions on seeing her, Vaan tentatively called out her name. “Eve?”

She nodded and stopped a few paces away from him. Still with that bright smile, she nodded and said, “That’s right, Master Vaan! It’s me, Eve. Your new ser- Ah. I mean, your new slave.”

Vaan stared at her, frowning. Specifically, he stared at her face, one that seemed far too familiar now that she wasn’t quite so listless.

‘I’m glad. She went through painful things, but she managed to get back on her feet after all.’

There.

A clear voice. Young and wistful.

*Hey. Who are-*

“I-It’s a bit embarrassing if you keep staring at me like that, Master.” Eve spoke up, averting her gaze and shifting in place.

Vaan realized that he was staring and then shook his head. “I’m sorry. Are you well? Were there any complications?”

“E-Eh?” Eve tilted her head, confused.

Vaan hesitated and said, “You… should be aware of what happened, right? That… How do you feel?”

“Ah.” Eve’s expression dimmed for a bit and then became thoughtful.

Ba-dump.

Vaan’s heart raced. He didn’t know why, but the thought that she might hate him for making her remember those dark times…

‘I would be crushed.’

[Oh get over it.]

The young lady is stronger than you believe, sonny.

Again, those voices!

*Oi! Who are you?!*

Silence.

Before Vaan could ask again, Eve shook her head.

“I feel…” She paused and then said, “I suppose it’s complicated.” Her gaze grew distant and she said, “The fact that I was betrayed and sold as a slave to the highest bidder to face whatever desire they wished of me… I would be lying if I said that did not hurt me.”

‘Evelyn…’

-A headache. A pang of heartache and regret.

Vaan twitched, doing his best to keep his expression neutral.

“But.” Eve smiled and said, “I am with you, Master Vaan.”

“’And you’re fine with that?’”

An echoed sentiment. Vaan’s words as well as ‘his’.

Eve clasped her hands together and placed them over her heart, closing her eyes. “I could hear it. Your kind voice calling out to me who had drowned in the darkness, your warm hand reaching out to pull me back to reality.”

Vaan froze and scratched the back of his head. “Ah. That… You heard it, huh?”

He didn’t expect that she would remember it. That was… more than a bit embarrassing.

‘Why? It saved her, didn’t it?’

*Shut up. I wasn’t addressing you.*

Vaan frowned and retorted to the voice in his head.

Eve opened her eyes and let out a soft smile. Staring at Vaan, her violet eyes flickered with mixed emotions and she said, “You took my broken self and pieced it back together… stronger than before. And you did it when you could have instead kept me as a doll that would obey your every order. The fact that you didn’t… Thank you.”

Seeing her sincere expression, Vaan didn’t quite know what to think.

On one hand, seeing a beautiful girl thanking you was something that nobody would feel bad about. Not only that, but he felt a clear sense of happiness at her words.

On the other hand, he pulled her back for mostly selfish reasons. Not only that, but he didn’t completely heal her either and let her face those memories head on instead of erasing them.

[Which is good. A weak woman wouldn’t be worth it anyway.]

And like I said, that young missy is stronger than she looks.

*Alright. This is ridiculous. Who are you? And don’t run away this time.*

The other voices now. Not the first one that was happy to see Eve. Vaan directly addressed them in his head.

Oh, don’t worry too much about us, Sonny. We’ll have plenty of time to talk later.

[The old man is right. Just focus on the princess for now to shut that kid up.]

‘Hey! I am not-!’

Vaan sighed.

“Ah!” Eve exclaimed and said, “I almost forgot!” She walked forward and grabbed Vaan’s hand. “Come on, Master! Mister Mitri finished making breakfast!”

Vaan blinked and then looked down at his hand.

Eve noticed and flushed. “I-I’m sorry, Master.” She started to let go, but Vaan grabbed her hand before she could.

“It’s fine. And thanks for telling me, Eve.” Saying that, he started walking, leading her this time.

Eve let out a sigh of relief and then happily walked beside him. As she did, she said, “I wanted to try and help Mister Mitri cook, but um… I’m not the best at it. I’ll learn though! You can count on me!”

Vaan waved his left hand and said, “Don’t worry about it. We’ll work it out somehow or another.”

After all, the Spark of Creation would probably come up with better food than either of the two could make.

…Probably.

Right?

[It… should?]

A mundane use to be certain, but feasible.

*That was a rhetorical question… but thanks for the information.*

Eve nodded… But then her eyes trailed over to Vaan’s left hand. “W-Wait. Mister Vaan, that ring…” She paused and then held up her left hand as well. While Vaan was still holding it, the faint glimmer of the silver ring on her left hand was clearly visible.

Eve’s eyes widened and she quickly looked up at Vaan. “A-And this ring. Last night, when you-“

Vaan coughed and averted his gaze. “It is a necessary precaution. Don’t think too deeply on it.” Saying that, he picked up the pace.

Eve quickly matched him though. Not only that, she sped up a bit to look back at him and said, “I didn’t notice it at the time, Master Vaan. But could it be that you… You want me to be your…?”

Vaan coughed again and said, “W-We’ll talk about it after breakfast, alright? I just woke up, you just woke up...”

‘I just woke up.’

[And me.]

This old man as well.

Ignoring the three stooges, Vaan continued and said, “We’re both a bit disoriented, so let’s get some food first.”

Eve stared at Vaan for a while, her face flushed, and then she nodded. “A-Alright.” Still, she leaned into Vaan a bit more as they moved.

Vaan tensed for a moment and then sighed, allowing Eve to do what she wanted as the two headed downstairs.


“You seem quite cheerful this morning, Vaan? Should I presume something happy occurred between you and your newfound female companion?” Mitri’s eyes flitted between Vaan and Eve, a knowing smile on his face.

Vaan quickly let go of Eve’s hand and sat down at the table. “Nothing of the sort. I’m just… in a good mood, is all.”

‘A great mood!’

[Tch. You would be, kid.]

Aaand he was no longer in a good mood.

Mitri raised an eyebrow but shrugged. “Of course.”

Vaan cleared his throat and said, “So, what’s for breakfast today?”

Mitri glanced towards Eve and said, “Should you not have the young lady sit as well?”

“E-Eh?” Eve shook her head. “No, Mister Eve. I’m-“

Vaan pulled out the seat next to him and said, “Sit down, Eve.”

“M-Master Vaan?”

Vaan gestured towards the seat beside him and said, “Meals are best spent in company… and you’re not just my servant, you know. I’d like to at least think of you as a friend.”

‘My best friend!’

[Only a friend?]

Sonny, you should be more honest with yourself.

Vaan did his best to ignore the voices.

“A friend…?” Eve looked troubled, her beautiful face scrunched up in thought.

Mitri sighed. “It seems that you never learned to interact with ladies, have you, Vaan?”

[What the elf said. Dense idiot. You’ll end up like the kid at this rate.]

‘Hey!’

“Oh shut up.”

*You guys too.*

Vaan shook his head and said, “No one asked you, Mitri. Anyway…” Seeing as Eve was sitting down, Vaan stood back up and then led her to the seat. “Here.”

“Master Vaan, I-“ Eve paused and then shook her head. “Never mind.” She smiled and said, “Thank you.” After that, she took her seat.

Vaan smiled as well and returned to his seat.

Mitri shook his head. “Ah, young love…”

Eve turned a deep red. “L-L-Love?!”

[Oh? She’s into it.]

‘…’

Hohoho.

Vaan sighed.

Idiots. All of them.

Haah. This story is definitely a lot harder to write than I thought it'd be. I'm not too sure how it is over all either... even when I'm writing it the pace seems too slow.

Anyway, this is all I can muster for this story for now. I mostly wrote this for Scribblehub's second anniversary contest, but now that I've gotten this far, I think I'll use another story for that.

I've gotten some ideas down for this story now, but I think I'll leave it be for the moment and come back to it when I have more energy to go at it.

If you've gotten this far, thanks for reading! I hope it was at least an okay time spent.

Until next time!

3