Chapter 1 – Summoning Completed
844 2 20
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Summoning Completed Successfully

 

The words ring out in my mind, seemingly without source, somehow different from hearing yet eerily similar. After a moment I realize I can also see the words, though they aren't in my range of vision. The meaning isn't difficult to figure out, I've been summoned to... wherever this is. What I don't understand is what it is, and how the fuck it works. How can I see something without seeing it? And what sent that... notification? What the fuck is a notification?

 

Initializing Understanding...

Confirming User...

...

User Nameless Voidspawn Confirmed

 

<Understanding>

A skill that provides user Nameless Voidspawn with information.

 

Aaaalright then, that's new. It provides information? I guess it's what told me about organs and notifications, and made those words appear. Having something apparently implanting knowledge directly into my mind should be rather useful, assuming it's something I can trust. I'll have to test that more later. First up, Nameless Voidspawn? Spawn is... something born of a place or creature. I was born of the Void, so am I Voidspawn?

 

Name:

Race: Voidspawn

Level: 1

 

Skills:

<Form Shifting 1> <Absorption 1> <Enhanced Perception 1> <Dark Magic 0> <Light Magic 0>

Unique Skills

<Understanding> <Black Core> <White Core>

Hidden Skills:

<Thrane's Blessing> <Yehma's Blessing>

 

Cores? Magic? Blessings? What is all this? Understanding showed up in there as a Unique Skill and I'm pretty sure it's something I have, so I guess this is information about me? But, what... Shit, I don't have time for this right now. I'm still sitting in the torn up corpse on the altar, the figure in dark robes standing a few feet away. Now that I take a moment to look around, the room is dim and dingy, dirt caking the walls and the torches sputtering despite the lack of a breeze. The human I had torn my way out of wore rags, their skin sunken and sallow, clearly malnourished. Finally, my attention turned to the robed figure, noting the wide smile that had spread across its pale face.

 

"Yes!" The figure dances about excitedly. "Finally, finally the summoning is a successes! Child of Thrane, Voidspawn, you shall serve me as a familiar! I have plans, and you will be necessary for them."

 

I begin tearing off chunks of the corpse and drawing them into my mass, absentmindedly chewing them while I think over what the figure has said. Serving doesn't seem like something I'm interested in. No, no I don't think I'm interested in it at all. Being a familiar... I'd be bound to follow its orders? Yeah, fuck that, I'll just kill it. It looks a bit bony but I'm sure there's something edible in those robes. If the corpse I'm chewing on is any indication, humans are a good source of nutrients.

 

I slowly, stealthily bunch up tendrils beneath me, waiting for the right moment. As the figure opens its mouth to speak once again, I launch myself towards it as quickly as possible, reaching out for its throat... only to be stopped by thin air, as if I had hit an invisible wall. As the figure recoils I study the surroundings, but the only thing between me and it is a circle of chalk on the ground.

 

<Circle of Binding>

An unbroken ring that prevents creatures within from leaving it. It will be destroyed when the circle is broken. Can be created using chalk.

User Nameless Voidspawn does not possess the required strength to break the circle from within.

 

Well, thanks for the advance warning, Understanding. This isn't ideal, now that I've tried to kill it the figure will be cautious, and since I'm trapped there isn't any way for me to deal with it. After probing at the edges of the circle and rapidly coming to the conclusion that nothing could be done about it, I climb back up to the corpse and continue to slowly devour it while waiting to see what the figure will do next. Will it attempt some sort of revenge?

 

Muttering under its breath, the figure straitens up while pulling a scroll from beneath its robe. It unrolls the scroll and begins to intone, "Child of Thrane, Voidspawn without name, I hath summoned ye to act as mine familiar. Ye shall follow my orders, act on my will, aid in my endeavors. I bind ye to my will, and bind ye to answer my call." It raised its hand towards me as if without realizing it, a deep black mist forming on its palm. That same deep black mist formed around me, coalescing into a chain before I could react, binding me in place. I struggle against it with little affect, the chains restructuring to contain me no matter how I shift and twist my form.

 

Binding Complete

User Nameless Voidspawn Is Now The Familiar Of Farkas Grey

 

Fuck, it can do that? I don't have to agree to a contract or something? The corpse momentarily forgotten I begin mentally probing Understanding for information about the binding than I'm under. Even as I query it, the black chain that bound me dissolves back into mist, then dissipates into nothing.

 

<Familiar's Binding - Lesser>

A binding that enforces certain rules on a bound creature. The bound creature cannot directly disobey any order given by the binder. The bound creature cannot directly harm the binder. The bound creature may choose to take no actions in response to direct orders, but cannot take actions against orders.

Should the binding on user Nameless Voidspawn be strengthened further conditions well be applied.

 

That's... less restrictive than I thought. I can just ignore orders by doing nothing? So, the most the figure - Farkas - can do is order me not to do things. Still, the idea of serving really doesn't appeal to me, priority one is finding a way to break the binding. Understanding said I can't directly harm the binder, but what about indirect methods? That bears some investigation, the kind that is very careful and wont cause Farkas to change the terms of my binding.

 

"Voidspawn, stop moving." Farkas watches intently as I stop all movement, studying me for a moment before letting out a sigh. "Haaaaah, it worked. Good, good! Now, come with me!"

 

But... I'm eating... Oh fine, I'll follow it. Well, to the edge of the circle at least, I still can't get past that. I watch as Farkas opens the door at the far end of the room, walks out, pauses, then walks back in. It moves to the edge of the circle, poking at the line of chalk with its foot until there's a noticeable gap.

 

"Follow me," it mutters, quickly turning back to the door and making its way out of the room.

 

Really? Maybe getting out of the binding will be easier than I expected if this is what I'm up against. After grabbing a few more chunks of the now thoroughly shredded corpse I follow Farkas out of the room where I was summoned, deep in thought.

20