Chapter 3: Who watches from above
35 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 3

       The stars are still visible in the sky when Kellan decided to prepare his horse and depart from the country side with a woman who is now sitting in front of him.

Most eyes were closed during dawn. But the eyes  of the person in front of him glimmers like the stars. How rare and beautiful eyes she has. It's really unique or more likely, this is the first time he saw something like those so he's still fascinated by the sight of it. 

She seems to like the stars, who wouldn't. Those heavenly bodies are like gods who watches from above, who witnessed the birth and the death of any living creatures.

The wind swayed strongly as he tighten the grip on the reins, the horse then run faster. A day ago, when he figure out that this woman is a witch, not a black witch opposed from what he suspected.

Everything happened in flash. There are so many questions that both of us can't answer that's why he decided to head to the mountain where Mr. Godin's lecturer resides. Mr. Godin said that this person know more about witch curses. 

Kellan can't help but to feel responsible for this witch. She's a lost girl with no place to go. She's also in a state that if I leave her anywhere she's gonna die from hunger or from a severe injury, for instance the first time I saw her she's in the middle of a fight and bleeding, this girl might have an affair of death.

And it's not like I can throw her away after she betrothed me. 

"The night sky is so beautiful"

He was in the middle of soliloquy when he heard the woman's thoughts, he sighed. This is one of the reason why he's so desperate to go to that mountain. 

Kellan has been sleep deprived for days now because of this, honestly it's intriguing to listen from her standpoint. But for days it's like having two brains in one head, he can't think straight because of it. 

"We're going to ride a bit faster so please secure your mantle" The woman heed to his notice. As she holds to her mantle tighter. His eyes didn't fail to catch the mark on her fourth finger. The woman noticed his gaze. 

" Please forgive me for being a burden but I promise you, after everything has settled I will return the good deeds you have done for me" The woman's eyes were filled of gratitude. 

" I see, I'll gladly receive the reward then" Kallen responded. After that, the only thing that can be heard is the hooves of the horse every time it touches the ground. That midnight, those celestial bodies watches as the two shadows of a human being cross the lowlands of Novgrid. 

It was the hottest time of the day when they decided to stop. They reside inside the forest to take a break. 

They brought snacks with them so it isn't necessary to look for food and the horse also need to be fed. 

The girl chew gently the bread he prepared. 

"The wound. How is the wound on your neck?" Kellan can't help but to ask, he's still upset that he drawn-out a dagger to a weak girl.

" It's not really a wound this is just a bruise, and you don't have to feel sorry about it. I understand your actions" She answered nonchalantly, Is she really a witch? 

" That, I was wondering can't you heal your own wounds? You healed my hand in no time and you make the animal breath again, so how come you can't heal yourself?" He asked.

"Thats.. I-I also don't know. And I wasn't planning to revive it back then. I'm planning to pay respect to the animal before extracting his organs when you suddenly stab it." The conversation between the two was somehow casual compare yesterday. 

"There's a black magic inside the rabbit, If I didn't do it, then the individuals who come up to eat it will fall sick for days" he explained. 

"Can you see magic?" She asked with full of curiosity, though Camese can manifest that there's a magic. Things like magic are not visible to the human eye. Kellan pasue before answering. 

"Yes" he simply answered. 

"I see, that's amazing.. it's my first time to hear something like that. You see we witches don't do things to harm human beings. I'm not trying to say that it's same to all of us. But we're just like doctors with magic, though magic only applies to materials and equipments we're using we can't use that to living creatures, that's why things like dead we can't bring them back to life" 

She indeed talk a lot now. The first time he saw her she's like a deceased human. 

"It seems like you're not aware. Forgive me to ruin your perfect image of witches but witches used to be slaves. Witches is the best ally you can have in a war. They would devote their hearts for their country. By the use of their magic they are ready to kill and curse thousands of people"

The woman eyes waver, as he expected she doesn't have an idea about this. 

 

Kellan decided to  continue, there's no point in living in fantasy, she need to know the truth of this world, everyone is. 

" After ages being used as tools, witches desire to stop the war with other countries. It seems that they got tired of killing and wasting lives. But the kingdom refuses to so the king tricked them. 

He granted their freedom before he massacred them. Witches lived together so it is easy for the king to kill them all at once" 

The woman's eyes were trembling but she shed no tears. Quite a strong one I see, somehow he regret saying things. But he wanted this woman to accept the reality and grow, and that will only happen if she knows the truth.

"He's not a great ruler then, if he doesn't sweat nor shed a royal blood of his and stays safe and sound inside his castle while pushing his ideals to his people. He's not worthy to be a king" 

He was amazed, she had said something he didn't expect from her. 

" That's right. Instead of granting their wish to be freed he disposed them like rats, he might thought that if witches continue to live they'll be a threat to his own kingdom"  That self centered king can kill anyone who he thinks impose threat, even if it's his own people. 

"And why are you against the king? Didn't you tell me yesterday that you are a soldier it means that you're one of his subjects" She's maybe a clumsy one for creating all this mess but she's a clever woman. 

"I'm just a soldier by profession but I'm a human. And soldiers ought to protect his own home" This conversation is going too far. This girl needs to learn more and today isn't the day for it. 

"If you're against by the actions of the king, why did you drawn your dagger towards me saying I'm a black witch?"

Before Kellan can response to that question he sighted an arrow aiming to them. 

1