Epilogue
63 3 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The elevator lurched to a stop, reaching its final destination.

The Being’s companion, Erich, had never been on such a long elevator ride before and he made sure to let it know for the entire duration.

This man was a troubled individual. Even something as inhumane as The Being knew as much. Yet, he was also the only vector who appeared to survive. He was useful, and for that, he would be rewarded with his freedom. However, temporary such a thing would be.

The doors opened and they were greeted by a burst of warm air. This was the first time that the Being had felt such warmth in its sentience and it could tell that Erich felt something similar.

There was a small smile upon the man’s face, one which The Being found itself oddly in tune with.

Emotions were still a foreign realm to it. Though one which it was eager to explore with its newfound liberty. Happiness, sadness, fear, remorse, all such strange and exciting concepts.

The sun was rising on the horizon, casting its light out upon a wooded area that surrounded their little stretch of habitation. A row of busses waited for them, ready to head down the dusty trails of whatever rural region they were confined to.

There were also other humans.

Two of them.

They were armed and looked so incredibly frantic.

“Who are you?” one of them barked, aiming their weapon at Erich.

Erich drew in a sharp breath, clutching his gun to close to his chest. “Uh… a survivor?”

“Show us your badge?” the second one ordered.

Erich froze, working his jaw. “Look guys, shit got pretty heated down there. And you can’t really blame a guy for not thinking to take his…”

“He doesn’t look like a scientist,” the first guard said.

The second shook his head. “Nor does he look like a tech.”

“Escaped test subject?”

The two of them glanced at each other, sharing a nod.

Though before they could react, Erich did so with inhuman swiftness. He drew the gun against his shoulder and fired.

A barrage of bullets cut through one of the guards, who crumpled and landed in a bloody heap.

Erich refused to let go of the trigger. He sent a solid stream of lead zooming through the air.

Soon, the second guard was also upon the ground, perforated with bullets.

Erich let out a haggard breath and The Being could feel his remorse.

“Fuck,” he whispered.

It was them or us…

Erich shook his head. “Still wish that I could’ve avoided that.”

He made his way towards one of the busses, placing a foot upon its step.

“So,” he started. “Is this where we part ways or am I in for the long haul?”

A good question. The Being’s only purpose until this point had been to escape.

But now? Now that it had?

What would become of it? What would become of Erich?

Were they one in the same or separate?

It was a lot to ponder and think about.

Could we have a ride to the city?

Erich snorted. “Yeah, I suppose I could do that.”


Visit my website if you want to find more of my work

4