Chapter 3 – Aptitude
87 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
Announcement
Only one more chapter after this one of this relative innocence left

When we got back to the grand hall in the inner keep my parents were already waiting for Erin and I as unbound and bounded are not allowed to witness this. They had the family aptitude crystal in hand. We had one that was kept as a family heirloom so that the family and guard aptitudes weren’t public knowledge. This knowledge could be used against someone, so most nobles had one to keep their aptitude private.

“Erin you’ll go first” my father said. She just nodded and took the crystal from his hand as the owner of the crystal it implanted the number into my father’s mind after a couple of seconds. “Six!” he said in a surprised voice “that’s two over your base” he finished.

“That’s really rare” my mother added with a face that could not convey her happiness for her adopted daughter.

Erin then walked over to me and whispered in my ear so no one could hear “beat that master” while shoving the crystal into my hands.

The crystal felt weird in in my hand as if it were pushing a soul into my body after a what felt like an eternity, I heard an angelic voice in my “are you sure you’re not a demi-god” with that the voice and the feeling ended.

I looked up at my father who had a confused look on his face after a second to steady himself in a low voice barely above a whisper he said “unknown.”

Mother gave father a concerned look and said, “what do you mean unknown.”

“That’s what it said” my father retorted in disbelief.

Erin ever quick on the uptake said, “logically it would mean none or infinite.”

My parents and I collectively gasped as coming to the same conclusion she had stated.

She then continued with “but it is known that one is impossible so thus you, my dear husband can have as many bonds as you like.”

“So, let’s not tell anyone ok” she finished with the biggest shit eating grin I have ever seen.

So that’s what the crystal had meant I thought understanding dawning on me.

Looking at my parents all I could see is their mouths gaping at what had just transpired.

We all just stood there in silence for a couple of minutes. Then my parents broke it and said, “both of you get over here.” When Erin and I got there, we were pulled into a group hug and my mother said, “you are the best children I could have asked for.”

We stayed like that for a minute until my mother broke it and said, “oh that’s right we have other news, we have decided on your wedding day.”

“When?” Erin and I said in unison.

“What day connects you two more then any other?” she asked.

“Our birthday” Erin stated.

 “Our 18th birthday” I added.

“Your parents won’t be coming Erin” my mother said.

 “My parents are already here” Erin retorted.

With that we retired to our rooms for the rest of the day.

The Next Morning

At breakfast Mother told Erin that she would be spending the whole day with her and many more over the next six months. After that they finished up quick and left.

I looked at my father and asked, “what was that about?”

“I have no idea” he retorted. “but” he continued “I guess I should teach you about how to make a bounded and all the little things that come along with it. Meet me in my study when you are done.”  

With that he got up and left.

I finished my breakfast quickly and headed to the study.

When I got to the study, he was waiting for me.

He then launched into a lecture about the dangers of being bound to beasts were forced into the bond and who its dangerous for the Oath Master as they can lose themselves to the bond. He continued into why the bond should not be used on another Oath Master. Finally, he got to how to complete the bond ritual.

By now it had dawned on me that Erin hadn’t been here for the lesson, so I asked, “when is Erin getting this lesson?”

With a chuckle he said, “years ago because she asked for it already.”

My face heated up from embarrassment.

With this lesson done, the six months until the wedding would be very boring as Erin wouldn’t share anything about her lessons with Jack so all he had to do was to train.

2