Chapter 24- Rica’s Real Name
386 4 11
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Three pm, Flushing Queens 
  
Ko drove Gun Kae out to his house in Flushing. During the drive the Han soldier couldn’t stop thanking Ko for rescuing him from Chul and the Kims. But he did acknowledge he talked under torture. 
  
“What did you tell them?” Ko asked from the passenger seat of the truck. 
  
“Just surface stuff. They know you have Kayla. They know she’s staying with some girl named Rica,” Gun answered with his head down. 
  
Ko closed his eyes. He wasn’t mad at Gun Kae for getting caught. If anything he kicked himself for outsourcing the recon job. 
  
“I’m sorry, Ko.” Gun spoke with a heavy heart. “They threatened my family.” 
  
“Don’t worry about it. It’s not your fault.” 
  
“Yes it is. And if it’s worth anything I did learn that Jun-Seo spends most of his time at Master’s club on the west side,” said Gun. 
  
“Really?” That was the club Donna got a job at. That’s bad. “Good to know, Gun. Thanks for telling me.” 
  
Gun smiled and bro hugged Ko in the truck, and before he stepped out of the vehicle he made himself clear. “Ko, if you need anything, you call me!” 
  
Ko nodded, “Thanks, Gun. I will!” 
  
Four pm- The Safe Apartment 
  
As Ko exited the elevator to the apartment his mind focused on the situation. The Kims working with Ahmed and the Turks put Tara’s gang in a bad spot. And according to Gun, Jun-Seo now knows that Kayla is in the city and under the care of a girl named Rica. 
  
That puts Kayla in danger. Damn, I’ve got to stop Jun-Seo and Ahmed before this gets out of hand! He slammed his fist against the wall, frustrated by his own limitations. 
  
But when Ko opened the apartment door a nostalgic aroma overwhelmed him. 
  
Korean food? He stepped inside to find Reyna, Rica, and Kayla cooking in the kitchen. 
  
“Ko!” Kayla charged and jumped in his arms, “We’re making Haemul Pajeon!” 
  
“Little one!” he hugged her while entering the kitchen. “Hello, everyone!” 
  
“Hi stranger!” Reyna waved from the small kitchen table. 
  
At the stove Rica smirked at him, “Hello hunting dog. I hear you were busy being a do-gooder today, hmm?” 
  
“Yes, I was,” Ko grinned, “With a little help from your wolf.” 
  
“Right, and without his consent, or so he told me!” Rica said, walking up to him. 
  
“I didn’t give him a choice. But then again it’s not his fault since his little boss sent him to spy on me!” Ko said, squinting his eyes tight with suspicion while his lips inched closer to hers. 
  
“He didn’t spy on you, bad dog. He was keeping tabs for me~” Her lips touched his, before. 
  
“Ahem!” Reyna barked at the teens, with Kayla on her lap. 
  
“Eh? We weren’t doing anything!” Rica whined, while Ko lowered his head in shame.  
  
“Sure, sure, baby,” said Reyna, “And you two can not do anything in your own apartment, right Kayla?” 
  
“Nya!” Kayla agreed. 
  
“Mommy!” Rica cried red faced. 
  
Embarrassed, Ko changed the subject. “And where were you this morning, little boss?” 
  
“Me? I was eating brunch with a fool,” Rica said with a smile. “But my business is not your priority right now.” She glanced over at Reyna and Kayla. “Because I think Kayla wants to ask you something.” 
  
“Hmm?” Ko faced Kayla while Reyna appeared to whisper in her ear. The little girl nodded in response, looking at Ko. 
  
“Ko, did you see my father today?” she asked. 
  
“Uh?” A cold sweat struck Ko as he maintained eye contact with Kayla. But he’d made up his mind that he’d tell her the truth. He just needed the guts to do it. “Little one?” He spoke in Korean, “Please sit with me on the couch.” 
  
Sometimes 
  
Kayla ran over to the couch with Ko. “Hello!” 
  
“Kayla, do you remember those bad men that wanted to hurt you?” He asked her in Korean. 
  
“Yes, you killed them,” she answered in Korean. 
  
“Right, well those men also wanted to hurt your father, and um, he fought with them and...” 
  
“Is daddy dead?” She gazed at the floor when she asked. 
  
Ko paused before answering, “Kayla, your father Joo Han is not coming back, but he wanted you to-” Ko, say what Dan would say. Say it in English. “Kayla, your father wanted you to be with people who loved you and wouldn’t hurt you. People like-” 
  
“Like Reyna and Dan?” she asked. 
  
“Yes, yes!” he glanced over at Reyna speaking loud enough for her to hear. And hopefully help him. “Them, and Rica and me.” 
  
Kayla swung her feet on the edge of the couch while staring at the floor. She didn’t cry, but grew distant. Ko didn’t know what else to say to her. So Rica spoke for him. 
  
“Baby?” Rica cooed walking over and kneeling next to Kayla. 
  
“Hm?” Kayla answered without looking up. 
  
“Your sad face makes Ms. Reyna cry,” said Rica pointing toward the kitchen table. 
  
“Ms. Reyna?” said Kayla as her and Ko both looked at Reyna seated at the table. But Reyna turned away from everyone. Appearing to hide tears streaming down her face. 
  
“Oh no!” Kayla called out to her and tried to run to her, but Rica gently confined her in place. 
  
“No, Kayla. There’s only one way to stop Ms. Reyna’s crying, and only you can do it.” 
  
“Me?” Kayla answered, trying again to escape from Rica. But Rica halted her, agitating Kayla, “Let me go, I want Reyna!” 
  
“And you can have her,” Rica assured, “But you have to stop Reyna from crying first, and you can do that by-” Rica whispered in Kayla’s ear. 
  
“Eh?” The tearful little girl looked at Rica, “But Rica?” 
  
“Believe me Kayla, it’s the only way,” said Rica as her and Kayla both looked at Reyna sobbing at the table. 
  
Kayla stood by the couch a moment before saying the words: “P-Please don’t cry mom!” 
  
“What?” Reyna quickly turned to Kayla, “Did you just call me mom?” 
  
The baby blushed, “Umm, yes.” 
  
“Oh my!” Reyna jumped up and ran over to Kayla hugging her. “Oh sweet Kayla if you call me mom I won’t be able to control myself! Oh boo-hoo! Kiss kiss!” 
  
“Oh!” Kayla smiled under a barrage of kisses, “It’s ok. I want you to be my mom, then Rica can be my big sister!” 
  
“Really? Oh sweet little baby, I love you so much!” 
  
Reyna cried and hugged the baby so tight Rica had to step in, “Mommy, don’t squeeze her to death!” 
  
“I can’t help it! My love is too strong, oh boo hoo!” Reyna cried then pulled Rica into her hug. 
  
“Nya!” 
  
While the three girls all loved each other,  Ko viewed the scenario with suspicion. Reyna and Rica planned this, yet everything they’ve done since we’ve been here has benefitted Kayla, as well as me. Hmm… 
  
Two Hours Later 
  
After eating they’re home cooked pajeon, Reyna and Kayla put on their coats to leave. 
  
“Rey- I mean, mommy? Can I take this video?” Kayla asked waving a colorful dvd box. 
  
“Sure baby, put it in your bag.” 
  
“Ok!” said Kayla running to the back room. 
  
Reyna watched her and began crying again. “Oh, she’s calling me mommy!” 
  
Rica frowned, “Ma, control yourself.” 
  
“Hmph! Wait till I see Dan, he’ll appreciate all of this!” 
  
“Heh, I’m sure he will, Kiss!” 
  
Rica kissed Reyna’s cheek, but the veteran mom frowned at the teens. “So you two horny kids been sleeping together, hunh?” 
  
“What?” Rica squeaked. “No! Ko’s a hunting dog! I-I don’t even like him!” 
  
“Yes.” Ko deadpanned, “She doesn’t like me.” 
  
But Reyna played no fool, and squinted at them tight, “Right, and I was born this morning.” She turned to Rica, “And I’m not mad at you child, you know I was bad like you once! But don’t you forget!” Reyna poked Rica’s belly with her finger, “One plus one makes three, young lady!” 
  
“Mommy, no-” 
  
“-Mhm! Whatever you say child.” Reyna turned away and called the baby, “Kayla honey, let’s go!” 
  
Two minutes later Reyna and Kayla left the red faced young adults alone in the apartment so they could play house. 
  
“Bad dog, I’m going to make tea, do you want a cup?” Rica asked while walking into the kitchen. 
  
“Yes, thank you,” Ko answered, following her. But he had a concern. “Rica?” 
  
“That’s me~” 
  
“I’ve spoken at length to Reyna and to Dan and they-” 
  
She turned from the sink, “Are you worried about their commitment to Kayla?” 
  
“No, not that. I know they love Kayla.” He paused. “I think my question is, why? I mean I understand the charity thing but Reyna doesn’t know Kayla.” 
  
“Ko, are you serious right now?” She shook her head at him while heating a kettle on the stove. “You know for a world traveled mechanic you’re remarkably dense about the human condition.” 
  
Ko took offense. “That’s not true, I grasp what makes people tick. It’s just well.” He gulped. 
  
Rica squinted at him, “Spit it out!” 
  
“Mmm.” He grit his teeth. “There’s a reason your mother is called the Villain Reyna Rai. Because in our line of work her body count is unmatched, and a woman that dangerous-” 
  
“Wait, what? So you’re saying because she’s killed so many men, who all had it coming I might add, then you assume she can’t possibly love children? Is that your pretzel logic?” 
  
Ko balled a fist. “No, Rica that’s not what I meant-” 
  
“Yeah, but it’s what you implied you simple motherfucker!” she slammed a spoon in the sink turning her back on him. 
  
“Rica!” He wanted to touch her but he knew better. Instead he tried his best to explain, “I just want to do the right thing with Kayla. I don’t want her to have to lose anyone else.” 
  
He gazed at the floor as a loud silence fell between them, before the whistling of the tea kettle forced Ko to look up at Rica. She in turn set two cups on the table and bade him to sit down, with civility. 
  
“Ko, let me tell you a little about myself and about the woman you call the Villain Reyna Rai,” she said pouring the water over the contents of the ginger peach black tea she bought from the cafe earlier. 
  
The aroma from the cup smelled so sweet and peachy, it caught Ko by surprise. “Please continue,” he responded in a near whisper. 
  
Rica dipped her teabag, appearing to gather her thoughts before she took a deep breath, and spoke. “When I was four years old, my biological mother was murdered in Mexico, as a message to my father, a man you may have heard of, Jason Reyes. 
  
Ko’s eyes widened. “Jason Reyes? Do you mean the man called, ‘El Martillo? The Hammer, Reyes?” 
  
“Yes,” said Rica. “One and the same.” 
  
The name was enough for Ko who sat straight up in his seat. She didn’t have to explain that her father was a notorious Mexican boss that dared to go toe-to-toe with the Mendoza Colombian Cartel, and lost. 
  
“Ten years ago the Columbians cornered me and my father here in New York,” said Rica. “He knew he was going to die. But he always knew that. And from what I’ve been told, my father understood what was in men’s heart. And even women’s. So before his last battle with the Mendoza Cartel, he contracted Reyna Rai.” She sipped her tea, “How’s your tea?” 
  
Ko nodded, “It’s wonderful. But please continue.” 
  
“Good,” She smirked. “However, my father didn’t contract Reyna to kill the three Mendoza cartel bosses.” 
  
“He didn’t?” Ko asked surprised. 
  
“Not exactly. You see my daddy was a ruthless son of a bitch! And he believed that revenge was a dish best served cold. And before the Colombians came for him. He gave me to Reyna, with a boatload of cash. And he contracted her to raise me as a Rifle Girl, so that I could personally avenge him!” 
  
“Hmm!” Ko liked this story. 
  
“Although Reyna was only eighteen at the time, she’d proven herself as the best assassin he’d ever hired. But my dad also knew what was in her heart.” 
  
“Her heart?” Ko muttered. “He knew Reyna had a soft spot for children?” 
  
“Worse!” said Rica, “Reyna Rai, doesn’t just love children, no. She has an irrational need to protect them as well. My father saw that in her. And well, here I am today.” 
  
“I see,” Ko said gazing at Rica while sipping the delicious tea. His next question was obvious, “Did you ever get revenge for your father?” 
  
“Eeeh?” A demonic smile spread across her face, “But of course. However, I will admit there’s one name left on that list.” She stared at Ko, “And in time I’ll get to him. But that’s a future story, for another day.” 
  
“Heh,” Ko smiled listening to Rica. “So Reyna adopted you when you were six, and trained you.” 
  
“And loved me unconditionally,” she added. “Because that’s the type of mother she is. A mother of her word, however.” 
  
Ko looked up, “However what?” 
  
“My mom, I mean Reyna." Rica looked down at a her cup with a somber face before answering, "She physically cannot bear children herself.” 
  
"Oh no," said Ko lowering his eyes, "How horrible this world we live in. That makes me sad. I’m sorry if I-” 
  
“It’s ok, Ko. I don’t mind telling you since I think your own story is similar. Because from what I heard your teacher is the legendary Shizuka the Hunter! The greatest long range sniper of all the Rifle Girls.” 
  
“Hmph!” Ko grinned with pride at the mention of his beloved Sensei. “There is no better long range sniper on the planet than Shizuka.” 
  
“Is that right? Then what’s her longest sho-” 
  
“Thirteen hundred meters with a fifty caliber, at night!” Ko barked with passion. 
  
“Wow!” Rica’s eyes shot open, “Shizuka sounds like a bad bitch!” 
  
“You better believe it!” Ko smiled. “But Rica? May I ask you one last question, since we’re being honest?” 
  
“Eh? What is it?” 
  
“Your name, Rica, has the signature Rifle Girl ‘A’ at the end of it. The code for Alpha that every true Rifle Girl uses.” 
  
Rica smiled, “Yes, that’s true. So what’s your question?” 
  
“Is it your real name?” he asked. 
  
“Oh?” She shook her head with a smirk, “Haha, yes, Echo Lee, ‘Rica’ is my real first name, sort of. But if I told you my written name. The name my father called me, I’d have to kill you, even though it’s on my birth certificate, heh!”  
  
Ko tilted his head. “So there’s more to your name? You know you’re killing me by building it up so much. What is it?” 
  
“Hmph!” She grinned. “Ok, number one I do not go by that name, only my father called me that name. So if you ever say it beyond this table tonight, I’ll kill you! And you know I’m not kidding. And number two, I already told you my real name, it's Rica Reyes, dammit!” 
  
Ko smiled at her, “Well since you want to be all secretive, I don’t care what your name-” 
  
“Ok! I’ll tell you.” She gave in, like he knew she would. “But you better swear-” 
  
“Yes! I swear on this wonderful tea we’re drinking, Rica. I won’t say your name past this table tonight.” 
  
She squinted long and hard before cracking a smile. “Alright then, prepare to be disappointed, you silly hunting dog, because my given name is…. 
  
  
  ...Erica, Erica Reyes.”  
  
  
  

..

11