Chapter 33- Blood Work
322 4 10
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Nine pm. Dan’s Apartment 
  
Rica awoke with a startle in her dark bedroom as her phone blinked with two missed calls. She checked the display. One call from Bling, no doubt concerning Ian’s memorial service. And another call from, Eh? Why is this office calling my phone this late? Whatever, she’d deal with them tomorrow. 
  
Wearing pink pajamas and a ponytail, Rica wandered out to the kitchen. Down the hall she could see Dan and Reyna’s bedroom light off but their television on. They must have fallen asleep watching the news. And Kayla’s li- 
  
“Ree-caah!” Kayla shouted while running out of her room to tackle Rica. 
  
“Heh heh!” Rica captured and kissed Kayla, but scolded her like a true big sister, “Little girl, why are you screaming? You want to wake up mommy and Dan?”  
  
“Nyo!” Kayla cried, “Mommy’s not here!” 
  
“She isn't?” Rica squinted down the hall. “Then why are you still up?” 
  
“Because I want a bowl of fruity crunch cereal!” 
  
“Hmm!” Rica smirked, “I think that’s too much sugar for you this late, but you can have a little bowl, ok?” 
  
“Ok!” 
  
Kayla smiled while Rica retrieved the box of cereal and the bowl. But big sis had a question, “Kayla, where’s mommy and Ko?” Rica asked.  
  
“Nya?” Kayla thought about it, “Ko left after you fell asleep. But mommy left later but she told Dan she had to get something from the other apartment.” 
  
“Oh?” Rica’s eyes narrowed. Why would mommy go to our main apartment, unless she went for her rifle. How suspicious. Suddenly Rica’s phone rang in the bedroom. 
  
“Rica, that’s you!” Kayla yelped. 
  
“I hear it.” Rica poured the milk for Kayla’s cereal and hustled into the back to answer her mobile. When she checked the display her face grew puzzled. 
  
“Hello, this is Rica.” 
  
“Hi, Ms. Rica Reyes? This is Dr. Alyssa James, at Madison Medical Group. You remember me, right?” 
  
Rica warmed up recognizing the woman’s voice, “Of course, Dr. James. You took care of Donna, how are you?” 
  
“Im fine, but actually I wanted to ask you that question since we understand you had a back injury so your mother provided us blood samples yesterday from a Dr. Ola?” 
  
“Right!” Rica answered avoiding any explanation of why she didn’t receive care in a certified hospital. “Anyway how can I help you doctor? I'm not sick am I?” 
  
“Eh? Oh no, honey. At least not according to your blood work. No, you’re as healthy as can be, Ms. Reyes!” cheered the nice lady doctor. “However, because you are a minor, by New York state law I am obliged to contact your mother within seventy two hours with our lab results and also you yourself.” 
  
“Ok,” Rica shrugged, “We appreciate that, but is there an issue?” 
  
“Right, I’ll be direct. Ms. Reyes, we’ve detected HCG in your blood, and not in a way that would signify cancer at all.” 
  
“HCG?” 
  
“Yes Ms. Reyes, human chorionic gonadotropin is a hormone produced by an embryo after implantation in the uterus.” 
  
Rica's eyes popped open, “Wut?”

“Ms. Reyes. Our lab has concluded with eighty eight percent assurance that you have conceived. And our equipment is sensitive enough to detect blood hormone changes within three days. So Ms. Reyes, have you had intercourse this week?” Dr. James asked. 
  
“I, uhh.” With her face as red as a lobster Rica answered, “I have.” 
  
“And did you use protection?” 
  
“Well, he pulled out,” she squeaked. 
  
“Apparently not fast enough Ms. Reyes. So now that I have you on the phone I would like to schedule-” 
  
The woman droned on as Rica sank onto her bed in the dark. While staring at the wall her thoughts drifted from denial to flat out fear. How the hell could I get pregnant when I was a virgin? And what the hell am I gonna do? Then her eyes narrowed to slits as she shook her fist. "This is the Hunting Dog’s fault! Oh you boy! I’ll get you for this!”   
  
“Dr. James?” Rica interrupted the woman’s preaching. 
  
“Yes?” 
  
“You haven’t told my mother yet have you?” 
  
“No, but I will call her-” 
  
“Within seventy two hours right?” Rica asked. 
  
“Yes, by Ne-” 
  
“Great, so Dr. James I need you to do me a favor.” 
  
“What is it?” 
  
“Please do not contact my mother for a full seventy two hours!” said Rica. 
  
The doctor gave a short pause before responding, “Alright Ms. Reyes. But I expect you or her-” 
  
“We will, thanks for calling, doctor, goodbye.” 
  
Rica hung up and sat in the dark as the world sank on her teenage shoulders. This news complicated everything in her carefully crafted lifestyle as an outlaw Rifle Girl and Capo crime boss. But whatever the case she had to contact Ko and... 
  
...her mom.. 
  

10