Chapter 38- Times Like These
339 3 10
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Ten am, Flushing Queens. 
  
Ko, Gun-Kae, and one other Han soldier pulled into the Valtech Auto-bodyshop located near the Flushing docks. As they exited their vehicle Ko noted the flat old style garage building and desolate parking lot housing two black sedans. Like an old gas station. So this is Jun-Seo’s idea of laying low. 
  
“Hey!” A deep voice shouted out to them from the building. It was Jun-Seo’s guard, Chul, motioning to them from the entrance. 
  
“Is Jun-Seo here?” Ko barked back at Chul. 
  
“Yeah,” said Chul looking around the empty parking lot, “He’s waiting for you.” 
  
Brother Ko 
  
Dirty and dark were the two words that popped into Ko’s head as Chul lead them through the building. Inside in the main garage Jun-Seo, Suzy, and two more Kim guards smoked cigarettes and discussed their next move amongst the body-shop filled with tools and auto diagnostic machines. When Ko entered the space he glared at Jun-Seo, who smiled back at him. 
  
“Brother Ko!” said Jun-Seo standing up to greet the teen boss with his hand out. Behind him Suzy glanced up at Ko, and he spotted her black eye. 
  
“Don’t talk to me like I’m kin to you,” Ko growled ignoring Jun-Seo’s hand. 
  
“Heh,” Jun-Seo smirked and whipped his non-gelled hair back. “Look man, you coming here to abuse me is not going to help your boss, Bad Tara. But I can help her and you!” 
  
“Hmph,” Ko ignored Jun-Seo and stepped over to Suzy, but she hid her face from him. He turned to Jun-Seo, “Did you do that to her?” 
  
Jun-Seo scowled, “Stop worrying about Suzy and listen to me, Ko! Because it’s not just Bad Tara those two assassin bitches want!” 
  
“I don’t care what they want!” Ko snapped. 
  
“Oh you don’t care?” Jun-Seo stepped in Ko’s face and whispered, “Not even if they’re going after Rica Reyes?” 
  
Ko grabbed Jun-Seo by his collar, “Don’t you ever say her name!” As soon as Ko touched Jun-Seo both the Han and Kim guards got into a shoving match. 
  
“Hey, be cool men, we’re good,” Jun-Seo barked while leveling his hands. His way of calming everyone, “Ko here is just worried about his girlfriend. But he shouldn’t worry because I can save her, heh heh!” 
  
“Tch!” Ko grit his teeth and released Jun-Seo. But he couldn’t kill the snickering Kim boss yet, not until. “Tell me everything you know right now and I’ll get you Tara’s protection!” 
  
Jun-Seo smirked, “No, you have it backwards you Busan idiot! What you’re going to do is take me to Tara so I can promptly save her life with my secrets, and then she’ll reward me. Other than that I don’t need anything from you, Ko! Hahahahaha!” 
  
All the Kim’s laughed with Jun-Seo except for Suzy who kept her head down. Ko noticed her gesture and was positive that she knew something.    
  
“Yeah,” Jun-Seo smirked, “So, I won’t keep you in the dark, but it seems those two rifle bitches got fixated on Rica for some reason. So they changed their plans and added her to their hit list.” 
  
“I’m sure you’re on that list now too,” said Ko with a scowl, “And you’re going to have to give me more than that before I even think about taking you to Tar-” 
  
“Oh fuck you and get off your high horse, Ko!” Jun-Seo yelped with his hands out, “Because I’m the one who-” At that very second a rifle round entered the garage window and struck Jun-Seo in his chest. “Whaa?” The Kim boss gasped as blood splattered everywhere. 
  
“Jun!” Suzy screamed leaping to her lover’s aid as Jun-Seo clutched the grotesque hole in his body before dropping to the floor. They were under attack. 
  
On reflex, Ko dove and tackled Suzy backward as four more shots from the window struck down the remaining two Kim guards. When Ko hit the ground he pulled his pistol and fired six rounds at the window. And in the effort he spotted the shooter’s masked face, and recognized her silhouette. It was the Rifle Girl, Viktoria. 
  
“Shit!” Ko pushed Suzy behind a machine lathe for cover, but he knew Viktoria wasn’t alone. He turned to his men and yelled, “Gun Kae, you and-” 
  
Too late. A barrage of bullets fired from the garage entrance riddled Ko’s second guard as Gun Kae and Chul hit the deck. 
  
“No!” Ko shouted, and emptied his clip at the second assassin firing from the entrance. And as that second shooter ducked in the doorway, Ko recognized her as well, Lilia. 
  
Leverage 
  
Ko had no time to ponder how Viktoria and Lilia found Jun-Seo’s hideout. He guessed that they always knew, because girls like them always do. Regardless, he had to act. 
  
In front of him Gun-Kae and Chul ducked from Viktoria’s rifle fire in the window. Behind him Suzy cradled Jun-Seo’s barely alive body. A few meters to his right Lilia crept near the door, and Ko knew more Turk goons roamed outside. 
  
“Gun-Kae, Chul, cover me!” Ko shouted at the two big men who acted without hesitation. Each aimed their handguns over a table they ducked behind and fired a volley at the garage window. While the guards engaged Viktoria, Ko reloaded his nine millimeter and rushed toward the entrance door firing at Lilia, until Lilia fired back. 
  
“Crap!” Ko yelped dodging the automatic rounds above his head. Yet the bullets whizzing by were nowhere close to him, as if she wasn’t trying to hit him.
  
“Chul!” Suzy yelled behind Ko, who turned to see the Kim guard fall to the ground from a headshot. But in that same second Lilia charged straight at him from the doorway, with her bayoneted rifle in hand. 
  
“Yaaaa!” She sliced the blade against Ko’s pistol, forcing him to drop it. Now gun-less, he tried to reach for a five inch combat knife holstered in the small of his back, but Lilia slashed again with her blinding speed, pushing him back. So Ko used the next weapon he had, Hapkido. In a flash Ko elbowed Lilia in her chin while side-stepping her second attack. 
  
“Ah!” The Rifle Girl reeled backward seemingly from the blow as Ko locked her wrist and....it was pointless, she was just too quick… 
  

Lilia raised her rifle and smashed it against Ko’s face. He absorbed the blow but lost momentum while parrying strikes back and forth with the blitzing Rifle Girl who offered no opening in her attack, and worse. Three armed Turks suddenly emerged from the entrance and ran straight toward him. But on pure reflex he gripped Lilia’s rifle with both hands.

“What? Get off!” Lilia screamed and forward kicked Ko. But as she struck he hip tossed her sideways, forcing her to fire a three round burst from the rifle, gunning down the first Turk charging at Ko.

  
“Picsába!” Lilia swore in Hungarian as the other two advancing Turks ducked from the rifle burst. But she quickly recovered with a side kick to Ko, knocking him away from her rifle. And Ko, now on the defensive, knew his only option at that point was esca- 
  
“Boss!” Gun Kae shouted. Ko spun around to find Viktoria inside the garage. She stood towering over a wounded Gun Kae, with her rifle in hand, staring at Ko. 
  
“Don’t!” Ko shouted at Viktoria. 
  
Viktoria narrowed her eyes at Ko, “Hunh, so Lilia was right about you,” she then pulled the trigger on her dreaded rifle, Vipera. A point blank round exploded out of the barrel and blasted a golf ball sized hole in Gun Kae’s head. The loyal Han soldier’s body collapsed on the concrete garage floor. And this most violent act enraged Ko. 
  
Before anyone could move, Ko threw a hard side kick at Lilia’s leg, forcing the blonde scorpion to parry, and expose her weapon. 
  
“Rah!” Ko shouted as this time he ripped the rifle completely from her hands to aim it at Viktoria, “You bitch!” He fired a burst, but all missed as the cruel Viktoria flew at Ko with her rifle butt and smacked his stolen weapon upward. She then followed that with a hard right punch to Ko’s jaw, Crack! 
  
Ko reeled back, dazed by the brutal blow. He had no time to react before the young blonde Lilia took full advantage of his stumble. 
  
“Fool!” Lilia yelled snatching her rifle from Ko. She then kicked him toward the lifeless body of Jun-Seo, and a cringing Suzy Hwang. 
  
“Ko!” Suzy yelled as he fell backward. But as he recovered to fight, and protect her, Viktoria and Lilia, armored in full black tacticals, unleashed a torrent of kicks, punches, and rifle butt strokes on the beleaguered Ko, who blocked, punched, and kicked back with everything he had until he dropped to the ground.. 
  
“No, please stop!” Suzy yelled as Ko parried blow after blow from both girls. Until Lilia’s flying knee struck his temple and sent him crashing to the concrete. 
  
“Ko!” Suzy cried. 
  
Barely conscious Ko glanced up to find the Rifle Girls smirking over him, before Viktoria spoke. 
  
“Stupid boy. Did you really think you were on our level?” she asked. 
  
“Tch!” Ko spit blood and scowled in her piercing eyes, “Doesn’t matter now does it?” 
  
While Ko mocked her, Lilia hauled back and bashed him on the head with her rifle butt. Knocking him out for a moment. And when he came too Lilia smirked at him. 
  
“I told you these girls would kill you, Ko,” she said displaying a phone in her hand and playing a voicemail recording. And Ko recognized the caller leaving the message. 
  
...Donna! 
  
“Hi again Suzy, the girl who’s picture of you I sent, her name is Rica and she wants us all to meet at bowling green park at noon because she has like a doctor’s appointment down there, but anyway, I promise she’s cool, she just has a few questions for you about that photo of Ko and-” Click! 
  
Lilia hung up and smiled at Ko, “Ya, I wonder why your girlfriend Rica wants to speak with Suzy. Is it maybe to ask about me and you, hee!” 
  
Ko scowled pure hate at Lilia. “If you go anywhere near Rica!” He pushed his body off the ground, “I’ll kill you!” 
  
He tried to stand and attack Lilia but Viktoria kicked him in his ribs, and back down. “I still have use for you, Ko. But I will break every bone in your body if you don’t do what the hell I say!” said Viktoria. 
  
“Fuck you!” Ko cursed and she kicked him again. 
  
“Hmm,” Viktoria smirked, “If he feels this strongly about Rica than we can use her as leverage.” She turned to her men, “Take Ko and Suzy to the van. And don’t worry, as long as we hold Ko’s little girlfriends hostage he’ll behave.” 
  
The two Turk guards lifted Ko out of the garage and dragged him out to a black van. Once there they tossed him inside on his stomach and zipped tied his hands behind his back. Suzy received the same treatment. A moment afterward, Viktoria and Lilia emerged from the garage while a black smoke engulfed the doors and windows of the flat building. They burned it down to leave no trace of Jun-Seo’s murder.
  
Lying face down in the van, Ko knew that no matter the odds he had to bide his time and escape, and hopefully with Suzy. As the two rifle girls walked to the vehicle, glaring at him, he kept hope. For it seems Viktoria’s guards failed to frisk Ko when they threw him in the van. So no one noticed the five inch combat knife he sheathed in a small back holster in his back. A most perfect weapon... 

...for times like these.. 

10