Chapter 1 Part 2: Guardian of the Tree
117 6 7
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Zheng stared at the transparent for a long while before he finally accepted that his reality had become game-like. He had so many questions; how could reality be simply be quantified by mere numbers?

Calming himself, Zheng observed his status window once more. First, the parameters such as strength, agility, and endurance were easy to figure out. As for mana, Zheng equated to a special type of energy that the current him should be able to manipulate. But luck puzzled Zheng quite a bit. Unlike strength, endurance, and agility, which was ranked I, luck was ranked E. 

However, the most mysterious stat was, no doubt, legend. A+, that was the highest-ranked stat that he had. When one thought of legend, it often involved legendary heroes of yore.

Ying Zheng furrowed his brows as he thought of the implications. Combined with the words of the serpent-headed man, he concluded that he must have been someone famous in his last life enough for many people to remember or write stories of him. 

If the ranking of stats when from I to A, pretending that each letter represented a hundred points, then starting at one point from I, then the peak of A should be nine hundred. Ignoring that there should be an even higher rank than A, that meant the story of his, Ying Zheng's, previous life should have been exceptionally well known. If not historically, there should have been fables of him.

But Zheng couldn't recall any famous Eastern legend with the name of Ying Zheng. As for whether why it wasn't the name he forgot? The serpent-headed man said that he was taken in his prime form, meaning the current him should be how he looked in his past life, including his name. That would explain the uncomfortable feeling he had with his name.

In addition, there were the four <SEALS> on his status—one for the title and three for skills. Depending on the game, titles could be meaningless or extremely important. Considering that the title likely held a hint to his former life, Zheng wanted to unseal it even if it was just a name and had no other uses. But what Zheng wanted even more, was to unseal the skills. Unfortunately, he didn't have any clues to do so.

Zheng sighed as he calmed himself. Right now, it wouldn't matter even if he broke his brain trying to understand his status. It was better to ascertain his capabilities first. 

After making sure that there was no one around him, Zheng started to test his body's ability. In the end, Zheng discovered that he was capable of running one meter per second for an extended period of time before tired. Although he tried punching a tree to test his strength, he only hurt his hand in the end. If judging by the speed that Zheng exhibited before, using that as a basis of measurement, his body should at least be the peak of human capability. There should be no reason that a mere tree could remain unharmed under his full-powered punch. 

Zheng concluded that the reason for this was because the trees were native to Eden. Of all the things that happened to him, a super-powerful tree wasn't that hard to accept.

Ying Zheng sighed as he felt his stomach rumble, signaling his hunger. But he wasn't worried at all. Looking at the tree or even the shrubberies, all of them contained fruits. If all of them were edible, then it could truly be called a utopia with no worry of starvation. 

But Zheng didn't let his guard down. The serpent-headed man said that only residents of Eden would be able to enjoy its benefits. Who knew whether fruits would be edible or not to him?

Acting to his body's instincts, Zheng first rubbed the plucked fruit onto his skin before waiting. After making sure there was no reaction, he placed the fruit to his lips and then paused again. Again, when there was no reaction, Zheng decided to take a bite.

The fruit in his hand resembled a plump peach. The rosy pink skin had no hair on it and appeared to have a brilliant shine as if it was carved from a sort of crystal. But it was no gem. Zheng felt his finger easily squeezing into it. All he needed to do was apply a bit of pressure, and the fruit would pop like a balloon.

Kachak!

The fruit was crisp to the bite, and juices overflowed from the exposed creamy flesh. The taste was unlike anything Zheng had known. There was a mellow sweetness, a hint of spice, and deep umami unknown to any earthly fruit. 

But the greatest surprise wasn't the otherwordly taste of fruit, but the power coursing through his veins just from a single bite. It felt as if a warm current was whirling inside his body and increasing his strength. Zheng had an impulse to take another bite immediately, but he forced himself to wait. 

Medicine could easily become poison if overdosed. Understanding that principle, Zheng waited a bit before confirming there were no aftereffects from consuming the fruit.

Not being able to resist any longer, Zheng immediately devoured the fruit in his hand. Then a second, a third, a four.

Zheng only stopped until he finished his tenth fruit. His whole body was coursing with power. If you told him that he would be able to run from coast to coast, he would believe you at this moment.

Struck with a thought, Zheng opened his status window but was disappointed to see no change at all. 

After all this, Zheng climbed a tree to take a nap. He didn't know how long he had been awake. Even before entering Eden, he had been expending both his physical and mental strength. Now that he had a full stomach, it was the perfect time to rest.

It didn't matter that the sun was still high above the sky or not, but Zheng needed to recover from his fatigue, so he went to sleep.

When Zheng woke up again, the sun was still high up in the sky. 

"Did I sleep that long?" Zheng muttered, still slightly dazed. His eyes brightened as a thought occurred to him.

[Time until forced ascension from Eden: 4 days, 5 hours, 34 minutes]

Zheng frowned. He had slept for about seven hours, yet the sun had not moved at all. Did that mean there was no night on Eden? Zheng ignored the problem; he would only spend four more days here at maximum after all. What did it matter if the day was eternal in Eden?

What was important was to reach the central tree in the center of Eden. According to the serpent-headed man, that should be the mythical Tree of Knowledge of Good and Evil from the Bible. He could pluck one of the forbidden fruit; Zheng had a premonition that it would greatly aid his future path in ascending Shamayin.

Wasting no time, Zheng traveled towards the overarching central tree. Only the way, if he got tired, he would rest. If he got hungry, he would pluck a fruit. It was a monotonous life. Without anything to do, Zheng could only focus on traveling even faster.

Although life within Eden would be very peaceful and safe, it was also very dull. Without anything to do and just lazing about waiting for death, what difference would there be between you and livestock?

Fortunately for Zheng, a distraction appeared. Unfortunately, that distraction was a wild boar over two meters tall and charging towards Zheng with the intent to impale him on its sharp tusks.

Even though he should have been panicking, Zheng found himself surprisingly calm. He did not even experience cold sweat. The memories of his modern life dominated his mind, but it appeared the experiences of his past life dominated his body. 

As if on autopilot, Zheng easily sidestepped the charge. All he needed was a red cloth and the boar to be a bull, then he would have been a matador. 

However, the boar twisted and turned with unnatural force. The target was once again, Zheng. 

Having no choice, Zheng dodged to the side, but the process just repeated itself. The words of the serpent-headed man reverberated in Zheng's mind once more. 

"Only the denizens of Eden are allowed to enjoy its pleasures."

"Tch, who wants a gilded cage anyways," Zheng said through gritted teeth. While he had been dodging the boar's charges, Zheng had also familiarized himself more with his body. 

Zheng had learned some martial arts when he was younger but later stopped. However, compared to his current body's martial abilities, what he learned before were mere party tricks.

When the boar neared him once more, Zheng jumped into the air with a twirl and launched a brutal elbow jab at the boar's head. The was an audible snap as Zheng's elbow made contact, but the boar didn't falter.

Ignoring the pain from his elbow, Zheng used the momentum of his earlier twirl to roll over the boar's body. Considering how the trees were much tougher than those on earth, Zheng wasn't surprised by the boar's toughness. Not to mention how large it was.

When the boar charged again, Zheng prepared to unleash the same technique again. But against his wildest imagination, the boar's movement suddenly changed as it jumped the moment his elbow made contact with the boar's forehead. 

The was an audible cracking sound as Zheng's body was flung away. Gasping for breath, he ignored his fractured arm as he glared warily at the boar. That didn't seem like the action of a wild beast. 

The boar teetered on its legs before turning towards Zheng once more. It snarled with a promise of pain. However, its forehead was broken and bleeding. It seemed that the boar had also suffered even more critical damage than Zheng. 

But the boar didn't flee like a normal wounded beast. Instead, it seemed even more pumped to charge towards Zheng. 

Zheng could feel the malice of the beast against him, an intruder in Eden.

Not staying on the defense, Zheng dashed towards the boar, his body so low that his hands brushed against the grass and rocks on the ground. The boar roared in rage at Zheng's against and charged forward, its tusks gleaming madly. 

Once the boar's charge was set, Zheng revealed the rocks he had picked up. With an almost sniper-like accuracy, he threw the stones into both the boar's eyes.

With a pained squeal, the boar's shook its head in pain as it flounced madly. Zheng quickly moved to the side to dodge the charging beast by a hair's breadth. 

However, with its site disabled, Zheng was able to use a larger rock to bash the beast's head in. With a dying grunt, the boar died. 

Only then was Zheng able to sit down and rest. Sweat covered his entire body due to both the exertion and pain. Inspecting his arm, Zheng could tell that it was severely bruised and fractured. Using a stick he found and torn pieces of his clothing, Zheng constructed a makeshift cast for his arm. 

Zheng inspected the boar's body. He had no idea what to do with the body. He didn't know how to skin and process the body at all, not to mention he didn't have any tools to aid him. But...

Moments later, using a rock, Zheng had broken off both of the boar's tusks. They would fare much better than stones as weapons. He also wanted to taste the meat, but Zheng didn't know how to start a fire either and could only leave the corpse.

Along the way, Zheng picked up a few more fruits to eat in order to restore his energy. And he exercised even more caution in order not to be caught by any wild beasts, especially in his current injured state. 

Perhaps due to the miraculous nature of the fruits of Eden, Zheng's arm healed the next day. But he also got injured again due to being assaulted by two more beasts. 

But to Zheng's joy, his status had changed.

Name: Ying Zheng
Species: Human
Title: <SEALED>
Strength: G
Endurance: G
Agility: I
Mana: E
Luck: E
Legend: A+
Skills:
<SEALED>
<SEALED>
<SEALED>

When he finally neared the central tree, Zheng was in a ragged state. His clothes were covered in dust and torn in various places. But his spirit was high, and the light shining in his eyes were bright. The colossal tree from before had disappeared as if it was an illusion. In its place was a smaller tree, very similar to an apple tree. It was almost dainty in appearance. 

Upon nearing the tree, a figure appeared before him.

It was an angel over three meters tall, wearing shining white armor with gold edges. It had a pair of two wings formed from light itself, and its helmet depicted a lion, an ox, and an eagle. But the most significant threat Zheng felt was the flaming sword planted on the ground in front of it.

7