Chapter 7: The New Sam
477 6 25
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
Hope you enjoy the chapter. As always, feedback is sincerely appreciated.

The walk to a local bakery wasn't as grueling as she had expected this early in the morning, especially due to her cute but practical outfit, and she marveled a little bit at the looks of appreciation she was getting. So far no one had been crass, but several people sized her up, and she felt proud to be desirable. 

“Don't let it go to your head, you little cutie,” Seph whispered to her. “It's okay to appreciate it, but I don't want you losing that gentle heart of yours.”

Sam’s heart soared. She’d never been complimented or cared for like this in her life, and she felt like she was going to explode from the feeling. Being called ‘little’ hadn’t gotten old either, and she quickly looked back at Seph to find her grinning down at her. Wow, Seph is taller than me, I really am petite Sam grinned to herself, giddily. 

Breakfast consisted of a couple large muffins, and Sam was playing back through her head about how the cashier had casually called Seph and her “pretty young lasses” in an Irish brogue. Don't let it go to your head. You're pretty, but you're not above anyone in value for it. Sam reminded herself. She was going to be the best Arch-Priestess she could, to repay Seph for this gift. 

“Seph” Sam started, thinking back over her earlier dilemma, “My identity- my job, my apartment and whatnot. Do I need to give those up? I’m not sure how to explain all this to the world,” she gestured to herself.

Seph thought for a moment “it's truly a conundrum. Back in the olden days, you could keep your identity or forge a new one, but it didn't really matter. Now with the information age, your governments track you like cattle, and it's certainly a harder matter to sort out. Provided that it's within my domain, my magic can change the fabric of reality, including government machines and physical records, but I cannot sway a person's soul or memories any more than you can. What would you like to do to resolve it?” 

Sam thought for a moment and weighed her options. “I think I’d like a new identity, but I have things I don't want to lose from my old life. I hate my job, and I don't have any desire to be in my father’s life, but at the same time I like my apartment, and some of my friends.”

“I can build a new identity for you, and it shouldn't be hard to transfer your lease to your new persona, but I worry that not distancing yourself from your old life might cause bad actors to become players in your new life. Specifically, your father. How do you think he will respond to your disappearance?”

“Ehhh, not well. He’s always been a bit heartless, but he’s always made the effort to keep tabs on me. He says he’s keeping me out of trouble, but my therapist had thought it seemed like controlling narcissistic behavior. Short of staging my death, I’m not entirely sure how to make him go away though.”

“You have a therapist? That's wonderful, I really want you to keep going. Things may get stressful soon, and while you won't be able to tell them everything, it would definitely help to have someone you can talk to.”

“Well, I had a therapist. My dad told me that I needed to stop seeing her, because she was making me weak.”

Seph only hummed soft and low, clearly upset. She paused for a moment in thought as they walked, before responding “I’d like for you to see a new therapist, if you're okay with it. If you have no one in mind, I could find someone for you.” 

Sam was grateful that Seph cared, and couldn't stop herself from smiling at having such a good friend. “I’m okay with that, and it's probably a smart move, with all these changes in my life. Like I was saying though, I’m not sure how to deal with my dad.”

“Well, if you changed apartments, he may look for you, but never find your new identity.”

“No!” Sam said a little too forcefully. Regaining her composure, she more quietly continued, “no, I'd really like to keep living where I do.”

Seph looked at Sam sideways before grinning “this wouldn't have anything to do with a specific neighbor would it?”

Sam’s signature blush betrayed her, even in the cold, so she simply nodded. 

“It's okay, I’ll never ask you to do something you don't want to do, so we will simply have to be more creative in our solution.” Seph said matronly, before pulling open the door to the salon. “You better do something with that boy to justify all this extra hassle though, or so help me…”

“Morning ladies!” a cheerful eastern European woman said with a slight accent “how can we help you today?”

Before Sam could stop her, Seph took charge in her characteristically bold fashion “Good morning to you as well! My little sister here is in a desperate hair emergency! She needs your expertise so that she can look good for this hot date she has tonight.”

Blushing heavily Sam, just nodded along to her tale and removed her beanie which led to a chorus of overly dramatic gasps from the salon crew. “It's not that bad,” Sam said, under her breath as the excited staff led her to a chair.

“Don't worry sweetheart, we will have you looking sexy as ever for your date tonight” the same woman said as she draped a cape over her petite frame. 

The salon stylist laid Samantha’s chair back and guided her head into a sink basin, where she turned on the warm hosed shower head. The water felt heavenly, but as soon as the stylist started massaging the shampoo into her hair, she felt like she might melt. Her nerves felt so much more intense in this form, and she wondered if it was simply her softer skin, or something else.

After a round of conditioner and another rinse, her chair was laid back up again, and the stylist began to sort her short hair with a brush while blow drying it. “I think a longer pixie cut would look fabulous on you, we just need to make sure it's layered and volumized correctly so you don't look like a Karen. What do you think?”

Sam struggled for words, she wasn't quite sure how to respond, but thankfully Seph came to the rescue. “I was thinking something like this.” Seph showed her phone to the two women, and it displayed a petite young woman with wavy, and slightly messy hair that barely touched her shoulders. It had a slight tousled quality, but it definitely didn't look shaggy like her hair did at the moment. “She's gorgeous,” Sam mumbled without really meaning to. 

“I think we have a winner,” the stylist chuckled. “I’ll do my best, but that shouldn't be hard to duplicate.”

The stylist was gentle and methodical in her work, and Sam struggled to tow the line between excitement at what was to come, and not moving too much or causing the stylist to rush. Gods, I can't wait to see how cute this is going to look, Samantha thought unbidden. The thought caused her to pause again, she couldn't recall the last time she’d ever been excited for a hair cut. It was seen more as a chore than anything else. Had her mind changed because of the change, or had this always been hidden inside her, deeply nestled under a thick coat of dysphoria. She made a mental note to ask Seph when they were alone.

“All done, my dear” the stylist roused her from her thoughts.

“My gods little sis, you're going to have to beat him off of you with a stick.” Seph mused, with an awestruck smile. The stylist turned the chair to face the mirror and Sam was able to see herself. 

She gasped but then was at a loss for words. I am gorgeous, Sam mentally agreed. “Thank you” Sam choked out, trying and failing to suppress a huge smile.  The girls followed the stylist to the counter chatting away, but Sam was still in a state of shock. For the first time in her life she was completely enthralled with just being alive, and she wondered how she had lived every day until then. 

Once back on the street, Seph segued “okay, I know you don't really have a date with him tonight, but how fun would it be to invite him over for a movie night? He could finally see how pretty you were under all those drab boy clothes you had on before.” Seph daydreamt with a smile.

Sam’s heart fluttered and she felt an unfamiliar warmth in her stomach, that was a mix of excitement and… arousal? Unable to contain her blush, and still a little shell shocked she tried to respond. “Honestly, that sounds so cool, but I’m kinda scared. No, I’m really scared. What if he finds me out, and is disgusted by me? Or what if he turns me in?”

“What do you want your full name to be? Remember, you need a new last name.” Seph said in a no nonsense tone as she walked. 

“What- I, I don't know…” Sam tried to respond in her confusion over the quick subject change.

“I’m gonna fix this problem, so you can just focus on being beautiful and seducing that absolute beefcake neighbor of yours. You want me to suggest names?”

Sam bashfully smiled as she tried to get over how forward Seph was. Do I really want that? Yes. Yes, I absolutely want that. Am I ready for that?... Maybe. “Yeah, can you suggest stuff?”

“Hmmm... how about Samantha Marie Persa?”

“That's pretty, I definitely like the middle name Marie. What's the significance of the last name?”

“Persa. It was another name I was known by ages and ages ago. I figured it was short and sweet- like you,” Seph said with a wink.

Gods she's smooth, Sam thought while blushing. “Samantha Marie Persa. Yeah, that was a pretty great recommendation. I think that's perfect.”

“Alrighty Ms. Persa, please take out your wallet.”

Sam was initially confused, but decided to take Seph’s advice and she slowly took out her old leather Wallet. She mentally steeled herself to see her old photo, but when she opened it up found that it had been changed. “Woah! All my info is updated! There's even a photo of me on the ID!” The drivers license showed a cheery Sam, smiling brightly with her brand new haircut. “How'd you do that?!” 

“Magic, my dear. Forget not the power I possess in these fists” Seph said dramatically, before dropping the charade and doubling over snorting in laughter at her own stupid antics. 

Sam couldn't help but laugh along although she didn't quite get the reference. “Who was that supposed to be?”

“Oh gods, I forget you haven't met my halfwit blockhead of a father! Bear with me here, but he’s arguably worse than yours.”

“Impossible, but I imagine they'd be good friends” Sam shot back, and they both giggled at their expense. 

“Anyway” Seph finally said once the laughter had died down “I went ahead and changed your bank accounts and names listed on them as well. If your old man had access to them before, he doesn't anymore. All your government records have been updated, along with your transcripts.”

“Holy shit, that's impressive. Thank you!” Sam was momentarily stunned. Briefly recalling her earlier promise, Sam took out her phone to text David. “One sec.” 

Sorry I forgot to message, man! This trip came up suddenly. Sam is fine to stay at my place, so don't worry about her. - M

Sam hit send and momentarily felt guilty for lying to -arguably- her best friend. 

“You texting Davie-poo?” Seph asked in a cutsie, yet playful tone. “Aww, my little love-birds.”

“Stop!” Sam said trying and failing to be serious, and her forced pout turned into a giggle when she met Seph’s unphased reaction. “Ugh! yes- I’m texting David. I promised him that… ‘he’ would text him and let him know he was okay.”

“You know, you're going to have to explain to him where ‘he’ went eventually,” Seph said, picking up on the dodge of her dead name, and taking a more serious tone. “You already told him that you are his sister, he’s going to ask questions.”

“I know. But what if he’s a jerk about it?” Sam asked, clearly succumbing to her mental quandary. 

“Well, then I’ll turn him into a swine and teleport him to the butchershop where pigs like that belong. But if you want my honest opinion, I can see his soul, and I don't think you have anything to worry about. He’s a lot like you, in that he values compassion and empathy very highly.”

“I don't want him dead!” Sam stopped at the next intersection, worried now with Seph’s antics. 

“I won't actually do that, but I’m trying to make a point. He’s a good guy, and if you really like him, you should give him a chance. Worst case scenario, we are back to moving you out.”

“Yeah, I suppose” Sam considered what Seph had said. He really is kind and considerate. He wouldn't be upset if I came clean. “Seph, can you get me a new phone?”

Seph reached into her jacket pocket and produced a top of the line smart phone with a pink Otterbox case. “Whatcha need it for?”

Sam was once again stunned at how casually Seph could magically conjure things without any visible effort. “Um, thank you- wow, that's gonna take some getting used to... Wait no- that doesn't make sense. I understand that you can ‘magic’ me a new identity as part of my transition, but your magic is supposed to be limited by your domain, right? How is conjuring new phones part of your domain?”

“You're too clever for your own good” Seph smiled before rolling her eyes. “Yeah, changing your records is actually a pretty common albeit modernized magical tool. I can only change what I know to look for, so the people who I can affect have to be part of my domain. The phone was… less ‘magic,’ and more ‘sleight of hand.’ I bought it this morning, because I anticipated you asking for a new one.” Seph's devilish grin turned to a fake pout, “but now you've ruined the trick.”

Sam laughed as she took the phone, and looked it over before powering it on. “Do I need to be on the lookout for you pulling a fast one on me like that?”

“No, I’ll try to be more forthcoming, I’m going to have to train you in how to channel it soon. As much fun as we are having, this little honeymoon period with your new form is going to end and I’ll need you to be able to work. You never did answer my question; what did you need the new phone for so soon?”

“I wanted to text David- as Sam.”

“Hmmmmm, I approve. Whatcha gonna say?” Seph crooned, eyes glassy as she fondly remembered David. 

Sam had to chuckle at Seph’s behavior “I’m going to invite him over for dinner and a mov-”

“Eeeeeeeeee!” Seph squealed, grabbing Sam by the elbows, and twirling her around. “Yes! A hot date!”

“No! Seph, this is absolutely not a date. I want you to be there too.” Sam tried to reason with her.

“Oh-ho-ho-ho, Samantha.” Seph chided conspiratorially. “I had no idea you had that in mind.”

“God you're insufferable, sometimes” Sam chuckled despite herself. “First, there is absolutely nothing wrong with having multiple partners if everybody consents, so don't take that tone. Second, this isn't a date. I’m serious about this, I want you to be there, so you can back me up... when I come out to him. I really want to salvage my friendship with him, and I’m scared.”

“I’m sorry Sam, you're right. I just love teasing you and getting you to blush, but this is no laughing matter.” Seph said earnestly. “Do you want help writing the text, or do you have it handled?”

“No, I can do it. Thank you.” Sam thought hard and psyched herself up before typing her message. She hated this lie, and she was already sick of the charade. Just a little longer, then it’ll be over she assured herself.

Hey David, this is Sam. Max gave me your number. I feel like we got off on the wrong foot this morning, and I was hoping you’d join me and my friend Seph for a movie night with pizza- our treat. Max said you were his best friend, so you must be good people. 

“Awww,” Seph cooed, reading Sam’s message over her shoulder. 

Hey Sam. Yeah, that sounds great! And “were”? Ouch! Have I been replaced already?

“Fuck” Sam said outloud “I used past tense, and now he knows I’m up to something.” 

“Relax, he’s just kidding around with you, dummy. He knows what you meant. Send him back something cheeky.”

“Oh. Like what?”

“Oooh, gimme!” Seph swiped the phone from Sam and began furiously typing.

“Hey! Give that back!” Sam complained. 

“Alright, I'm done with it anyway.” Seph tossed it back, winking. 

“Goddess, you're a menace!” Sam said in mock anger. She turned over the phone to see the damage.

Yeah, he met one of those wall mounted fish with an embedded speaker, and he said it had better banter than you. Can you confirm?

Sam rolled her eyes at the stupid line, but found herself smiling all the same. 

God! That asshole! Haha, I’ll drink all his beer in retaliation. What time were you two thinking? And should I bring anything?

Sam’s heart fluttered again with a vengeance. Goddess, this is really happening. And it's really happening so fast!

Nope, just bring yourself around 7PM. We have the rest covered. 

Sam's heart was soaring, this crush was so magical, she couldn't believe how well things were coming together. It's not a date, she reminded herself, but even she wasn't totally sure if she believed it.

25