Chapter 81
1.5k 2 30
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The following morning Qian Yu woke up and put on his sect robes before heading outside. 

“Good morning Qian Yu,” he heard as he stepped out of his pavilion. 

“Are you alright? Did something happen?” Qian Yu looked at her. The sun had just risen, yet Zhao Xieren was the same as yesterday, a little lifeless. 

“Hm? Ah, just a little tired. I didn’t sleep well,” Zhao Xieren shook her head. 

Cultivators didn’t need much sleep, however, Qian Yu didn’t pursue it, seeing that she wanted to keep it to herself, “Alright, let’s go then.” 

Walking for half an hour, the two arrived at the area where the weekly meetings for inner court disciples would occur, a large spacious one-storey pagoda.

“It reminds me of the time I was an outer court disciple,” Qian Yu looked around the hall. There were countless small tables and seating pads everywhere. The only difference was that there was more here.

Taking a seat together, the room started filling up fast as hundreds of inner court disciples started entering. Gradually, the room became noisier.

“Do a lot of people know you?” Qian Yu observed his surroundings. The other disciples had started to form their own circles and groups as they talked with each other. Additionally, he noticed that each group was made up of those with similar cultivation levels.

“Beforehand, I did do a few things that attracted attention, so a small number of people other than those from the noble circle and the capital knew me. However, they should know that I went into seclusion to cultivate and since I came back quietly, many don’t know. I’ve only seen a few others that I knew previously ever since I came back over a week ago. Why do you ask?” Zhao Xieren explained. 

“I was just wondering if the others would be jealous if I get to sit next to such a pretty girl,” Qian Yu teased her. 

“Ahem, stop joking. There are plenty of girls more popular and mature than me,” Zhao Xieren turned away from Qian Yu. 

Nonetheless, Qian Yu saw that her lips had curved just a bit. It was a small and short smile, but seeing it made him happy too.

“Is that junior sister Zhang?” “Brother Chen is so handsome!” “Look, it’s senior sister Su! She’s so pretty!” Qian Yu started hearing some commotion in front of him as he turned his attention to it. 

‘Seems like popularity and the social circle is a lot more important. What a hassle,’ Qian Yu recognized. One thing he already missed in the outer court was that they didn’t really care for stuff like this. Then again, there were too many outer court disciples and there weren’t many ways you could stand out.

Soon, an old elder entered the hall as the noise immediately started dying out. 

“Ahem ahem, good morning disciples. We’ll start off with the news like normal. As cultivators, it’s important to be aware of all of the latest news and events happening throughout the world. Many of you will be travelling throughout the world after you leave the sect or even while you are here. You all will have different purposes but in the end, knowledge is power and one day, these random bits of information can be useful. Anyways, first off, in our continent as of late…” the elder started talking about the recent news and events in the cultivation world. As he gradually expanded to other countries and continents, Qian Yu gradually became more and more clueless.

‘What the heck is the Temple of Light? Who is the Swift Sword Saint, Quan Huan?’ Qian Yu started accumulating more and more questions. 

“Lastly, the most shocking of all is the First Arrow, Cao Tu, has managed to enter the 7th layer of his family’s cultivation technique, Arrows of the World despite being only 25,” the elder concluded. 

Qian Yu’s hands instinctively clenched the moment he heard the name. ‘At this rate though, will he master the whole technique in 5 to 10 years?’ Qian Yu felt this was shocking. He didn’t know how long it took for someone to master all 9 layers in a technique. From his deceased master, he only knew that in the past, it was exceptionally difficult. Now, it was easier with the world’s qi being more abundant and higher quality. 

“Is something wrong?” Zhao Xieren noticed his expression. 

“Ah, it’s nothing,” Qian Yu took a deep breath to calm down. He wasn’t very angry at Cao Tu but there were still some grievances deep in his heart. At the same time, it reminded him of his inability to do anything.

“Alright, moving on. Today, we’ll be going over the Flames of Origin Sect and their cultivation technique. Unlike us, their sect is one of the larger ones in the world and in the Soba Empire, it’s the biggest sect with hundreds of thousands of disciples,” the Elder started lecturing. 

“Didn’t you get to see this cultivation technique first hand?” Zhao Xieren whispered. 

“Mhm, it’s pretty impressive,” Qian Yu nodded. He had seen its uses on the battlefield. Without a doubt, it was strong.

“Fire techniques in general are usually seen to be more related to Yang and the Flames of Origin follow this trend. The Flames of Origin mainly uses fire qi, however, it does actually involve yang Qi. As you know, Yang is potent in purifying and one of the martial techniques in that cultivation technique is a purifying technique. Though I say that, yang qi isn’t required for the technique and the majority of it uses fire qi.” 

“This contrasts with the dual cultivation technique I went over last week where it was very reliant on yin qi and as such, males could not cultivate the technique well unless they had access to yin qi. In the example of the Flames of Origin, it also means that males have a slight advantage in cultivating the technique since they have their own supply of yang qi,” he continued speaking.

Hearing his words, Qian Yu suddenly started thinking, ‘Normally, lightning is more related to yin rather than yang which was why I thought my technique needed yin qi. But apparently it’s not the case then. Going off what the elder said and the fact that I need a lot of yin qi to cultivate, does it mean my martial techniques will be more attributed with yin?’ 

Meanwhile, the elder continued on, “Alright, let’s talk about the martial skills of the cultivation technique…”. An hour later, the elder finished lecturing and explaining some of the questions that were brought up about the Flames of Origin technique. 

Without rest, the elder started on a new topic, “Alright, now, time to tell a personal anecdote of myself a couple decades ago…” As he did, he occasionally stopped to ask questions about what to do here and why, before saying what he did in reality and whether or not it was a good or bad decision. 

‘It’s actually pretty useful, especially for those that have never gone out to travel on their own,’ Qian Yu thought. Glancing at Zhao Xieren, he saw that she was heavily intrigued as well and was even taking notes. 

Finally, the elder finished up his explanations a few hours later, “Alright, for the last thing today, we’ll be practicing some sparring like usual before we will have some demonstration fights.” 

As he said that, the other disciples started standing up and leaving the building and soon, everyone was in the middle of a large, flat field. 

“Qian Yu, let’s spar!” Zhao Xieren said excitedly as she went to get a nearby sword and spear. 

“Heh, I’ve always wanted to spar with you,” Qian Yu noticed that Zhao Xieren’s mood had brightened up a little. 

“Alright, get ready then!” Zhao Xieren instantly started attacking.

*Swoosh* Zhao Xieren was fastly approaching. 

*Clank* But, it was manageable. 

“I thought I would be too fast for you but I guess not?” Zhao Xieren saw her attack was parried so easily.

“Hehe, don’t underestimate me” Qian Yu chuckled. 

“We’ll see about that,” Zhao Xieren dashed forward again.

*Clang clink* noises rang out as the field became more and more livelier. 

Soon an hour passed as everyone was finally told to take a break.

“Alright, it’s been an hour everyone,” the elder announced. 

“Phew, that was nice,” Qian Yu was happy. It was the first real training that he had since the spiritual beast horde. Looking around, it seemed like everyone started sitting down creating a large circle around the elder. 

“Yeah, I’m surprised you managed to keep up,” Zhao Xieren was impressed. Even though they didn’t use any martial skills, Zhao Xieren was still higher in terms of cultivation. However, Qian Yu had a heavenly constitution that she didn’t know about and he also had his own share of training especially during the spiritual beast horde defense.

Before the two could say any more, the elder started talking. “First off, we’ll start with those in the qi gathering realm. Mmm, how about you,” the elder said as he pointed at someone. 

“Disciple greets elder!” the disciple stood up as he walked towards the circle.

“And secondly, you!” the elder pointed.

“Huh, is he pointing at me?” Qian Yu muttered.

“Yeah, I think so… Be careful though, you can use martial techniques in these fights. Good luck,” Zhao Xieren whispered and gave him a thumbs up.

‘What should I do then? My fighting style does consist of using a few tricks,’ Qian Yu thought about how to fight as he heard her. He did consider his fighting a little roguelike but he would probably get scolded at most.

“Ahem, disciple greets Elder!” Qian Yu repeated as he stood up and approached the center.

“Huh? That’s a new face right?” “Yeah, for someone at the 7th stage of qi gathering, he’s in the middle in terms of strength in the inner court.” “Hehe, he’s kind of handsome.” “He’s a cutie!” the others started muttering as they realized Qian Yu was someone new. 

“Alright, you may begin!” the elder clapped as he said.

*Whoosh!* The other cultivator didn’t let a single second go to waste as he immediately dashed towards Qian Yu and slashed.

*Clang* Qian Yu blocked the sword strike as it came forward yet as he did, he saw a spear of ice quickly form behind his opponent.

*Fwoosh!*

‘Shit!’ Qian Yu immediately thought as he stopped blocking and rolled to the side as the icicle spear launched forward. 

“Yeah, he’s definitely a newbie.” “Do you think he can win against Hu Yi?” “Probably not, Hu Yi is one of our better fighters in the qi gathering realm and fights really well.” Qian Yu heard the others talk.

‘This is indeed pretty strong,’ Qian Yu admitted. It was a melee fighting style that revolved around using the icicle spears as an additional offensive threat. In a way, it was similar to his own usage of Lightning Spasm. The only difference was that the icicle attacks were ranged.

*Swoosh* Qian Yu dodged another few icicles and ran forward as he started exchanging blows with the other disciple. 

*Clang clang* Qian Yu continued to block and dodge the following attacks as he searched for an opening and tried to memorize his enemy’s habits and attack pattern.

“At this rate, he’s just going to get tired out and Hu Yi will eventually land an attack on him.” “Yeah, it’s over. He’s playing defensive all game!” the spectators continued talking. 

‘He’s definitely strong for sure,’ Qian Yu leaned to the left as he dodged a slash.

*Shoosh* Then, he ducked, as an ice spear flew over his head. 

‘But, he’s not refined enough!’ Qian Yu parried an attack.

‘So I’m stronger!’ Qian Yu noticed an exposed spot and sent his kick forward. 

Lightning Spasm! 

*Bam* an explosion rang out as Qian Yu successfully managed to kick the guy and sent him flying. 

“Enough!” the elder shouted as it happened. As the guy was sent flying, he would no doubt be vulnerable if Qian Yu just chased him and attacked before he could recover.

Meanwhile, the rest of the field was completely silent.

30