Chapter 139
1.4k 2 58
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I come with good news! I finally have some semblance of an upload schedule! 

Moving forward, I will be posting three times a week on RR, but for now, I'll binge upload! Patreon will be moving to an upwards of 5+ chapters a week now! Enjoy and let me know what you think!


"Do you understand what I'm asking of you?" I stood a full two heads over the centurion, who was standing at the position of attention.

"Aye, sir. I will do what I can." The centurion snapped off a curt salute, and I nodded my head.

"Good." I smiled at him, stepped forward, and gave him a gentle pat on the back. I hope you understand the importance of what you are about to do. If you succeed, you will be a hero, Ulric."

He puffed his chest out ever so slightly and nodded his head. "I understand, sir. I won't let you down."

"I know you won't. Dismissed." I ended the conversation, and he cracked off another salute before he spun away and hurried off.

I stared at him as he rushed away from me. I tried to feel something other than the sadness that throttled my heart, but I couldn't. There was nothing that could overcome my shame. But I will do my best to right all of my wrongs. I spun on my heel and silently marched through the stronghold. I still had one last thing to take care of.

The first legion was repairing some of the damage near the wall and was organizing patrols once more. Everyone had a look of remorse as they toiled on with a drive that only something like the undead could muster. They were relentless and tireless, and I would craft them into a tide that couldn't be staunched.

With care, I walked through a few squads creating carriages and carts for the first legion to use. It was wholly inefficient for them to keep moving things by hand and moving troops around by foot. But that also meant we had to do a complete rehaul of the surroundings to ensure that troops could get where they needed to.

Logistics was something that I found great comfort in. Even more so than strategy. Only amateurs think that war is won solely through strategy. No, it's far more than just that. No, the war effort must be fed continuously and trickles down to the soldiers. With that in mind, I will redo all the infrastructure as we take back our lands, and it will bolster our armies. But as soon as the last traitor falls, we will turn our war machine outwards. Those who attacked us will pay the price of their sins. Above all else, however, the world will know Asteria's name once more.

I trudged further into the stronghold until I saw a familiar form on the walls. "Captain," I called out and crossed my arms. The skeleton stiffened up slightly and slowly turned towards me.

He regarded me with eyes that were as dark as the abyss, and his teeth chittered ever so softly. "Warmaster." He replied with a salute. His voice easily cut through the dead air.

"Come down here. There are a few things I wish to discuss with you before I depart." I reached up and shielded my eyes from the relentless bombardment of the sun as I looked upwards. I didn't really appreciate having to look up to someone to speak. Even if it was Aaron, I was talking to. No, he would get down here so I could speak to him eye to eye.

He stood there for a split second, and a vibrant orange glow surrounded him. In the blink of an eye, he appeared in front of me. His uniform was crisp, and not a single speck of dirt adorned it. I was curious as to how he kept it so pristine. But I would not complain. He was one of the few outside the praetorians who held to the uniform regulations. It was something that I would have to fix since I couldn't bear these armies to remain looking as ragged as they were. It filled me with such shame to see them like that.

"Warmaster." He repeated once more and snapped off a curt salute.
If there was anything that I knew about Aaron, it was that he was usually hearty and gregarious. But now, he was just quiet and withdrawn. "Come, Aaron, let's take a walk." I reached out, placed my hand on his shoulder, and gently pulled him into the stronghold.

"Aye, sir." He replied curtly as he fell into a lock step beside me.

"How are you fairing, captain?" I asked as we walked down a small path inside the stronghold.

"I'm here, Warmaster. I lost my best friend, and I'm grieving, but I have a job that needs to get done." His words were distant as we marched through the stronghold, and I gazed at its venerable grounds, trying to remember them before I left.

"I understand, Aaron. You are doing well, and I appreciate your strength. In the future, there will be time to grieve properly. But now, I need you to focus on defending this place while I am gone. This is the last bastion of Asteria, and to remain distracted could spell her death throes." Dealing with death was brutal. When Kharon died, I was devastated, but I couldn't grieve then. My job wouldn't allow it. Far too many lives were at stake to allow myself to step away from that all.

"I know Warmaster. I will do better." He rolled his head upwards, and I could see the faint traces of a life-like smile cross his face. "I'll be alright in just a few days."

"Good. Anyway, I just wanted to check with you before I left. Is everything alright? Have you found a second in command?" I understood his strife, but his responsibilities came first.

"I have. A warrant office by the name of Aurelius. He was always my go-to in life, even more so in death. He will make a great lieutenant." Flint locked his hands behind his back and straightened out as he walked.

"Good. If you have faith in him, then I will bless his promotion. How is the reclamation of the outer forest?"

"Well. My squads have already reclaimed the outposts and brought back many of the outlander's equipment to be smithed down or transferred into the armed forces. Road work is close to completion as we reform the area per your directives." He replied without skipping a beat.

"If you wouldn't mind, would you transfer some of the higher tiered equipment for use during the crusade? We have a general idea of what to expect from the outlanders for the time being; however, we still can not underestimate them. With that in mind, we are working on a way to interlink this outer stronghold with the cities that we reconquer so we can more easily move our legions around and defend Asteria." It would be difficult, but we couldn't remain in this position forever. Strike while the iron is hot. Besides, with the constant influx of equipment from the outlanders, we can keep resupplying our troops and afford them valuable combat experience, and then they can be sent to the front.

"Of course, Warmaster. I will transfer what I can to your forces. Once the Empress lifts the embargo on the outlanders, I will send you constant shipments of supplies, materials, and troops. I will do what I can to help you with the war effort. Even if I am bound here, I will do my best to ensure that I play my part." His jaw clicked together, and his old self slowly seemed to return. One day I would have the old Flint back.

"Thank you, Aaron. As soon as this crusade is over. I will shift your deployment to another location. One befitting of a man as dedicated as you." I told him as I slammed my hand into his back.

"I appreciate the thought, Warmaster. But I would like to remain here. This place was my responsibility in life, and it will remain so in death." He stopped what he was doing and spun around to face me.

I suppressed the smile that threatened to split my face. If only we had men like this in life, then Asteria would have never fallen. It was rare to see men with that level of devotion. But it warmed my icy heart to see it once more. I have faith that we can restore what was once lost. "I understand, Captain. Anyways, I will take my leave. The crusade will march northwards as soon as the preparations are finished. Please do not hesitate to contact me if you need anything. If this stronghold falls under attack, I will do my best to return to ease whatever may come your way."

"The praetorians will be in and out with the Empress' and Imperial Princess' constant presence. So for a time, you will be able to solely focus on your war. I will manage the defenses the best that I can."

"The praetorians are a good asset. However, do not rely on them. At the end of the day, they only answer to the Empress. They will happily let you die if it meant to protect her Majesty." The praetorians were some cold bastards. I've seen them sacrifice an entire cohort simply because they would not deviate from their orders. They were relentless, but by the gods, if they weren't some of the best warriors in the kingdom.

"I am well aware, Warmaster. I appreciate the thought, but I would never hold that against them. We all have our own jobs to do."

I nodded my head once more. That was true. We all had jobs, and it was time I did my own.

58