Chapter 30: In the Hotel
453 1 13
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Katherine was the calmest in the room, she was at that moment watching their reaction. Although it was quick, she noticed the abnormal reaction of the three. With her eyes, she tried to sign something to Sara, but she wasn't paying attention.

At that moment, Sara was lost in thought. She was incredibly happy, and at the same time uncomfortable. She had found the soulmate she had been looking for for years but didn't know what to do, that reality hit her hard. After searching for years, she never thought she would find it, so when she finally did, she didn't know what to do.

Everyone greeted each other superficially while they were lost in thought. The first to recover from his confusion was Lucas who finally noticed Sara and May's strange reaction.

Nudging May with his arm, he tried to sign her to say something, and she finally came to.

"Katherine, you called me here. On the phone, it looked like you had something to say to me."

Katherine looked at Sara, who was still silent and answered.

"Yes, it's about Clovis..."

She then looked at Sara again, hoping she would continue the conversation, but Sara remained silent. Usually, who would talk about these things is Sara, since she has a better understanding of the situation as a whole.

Although Katherine is not an idiot, the disparity of intellect between the two sisters has always been obvious, so she expected Sara to explain everything, as she normally does. Unfortunately, Sara remained silent, she was still trying to decide what approach to take with Lucas, now that she knew he was her soulmate.

She didn't know whether to be direct and talk about her skill or to take a more subtle approach. She didn't know whether to seduce him or wait for him to approach. Her thoughts were temporarily slow, and when she finally calmed down, a new revelation came to her that made her even more confused.

When Sara uses her ability, a set of circles and X's appears on people's heads that represent whether the person is suitable for the jobs she put in the slots. As she currently can select up to five different jobs, a set of five X or O always appear over people's heads when her ability is active.

From left to right, the symbols represent slots 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5.

When she finally calmed down from the surprise of meeting her soulmate, she realized something else; above Lucas's head, there were four circles and an X, which means that he can do four of the current jobs that she has configured.

That alone is enough to surprise her, but what really surprised her, and left her thoughts in disarray, was the circle in the second slot.

'...'

Sara's strange reaction this time was noticed by everyone in the room. Katherine knew it had to do with Lucas's qualifications, and she had a slight feeling. Seeing her overreaction, her foreboding grew, and to drown out the strange atmosphere in the room, she started to speak.

Katherine explained the situation of Clovis and the enemy behind him. She talked about the fact that Clovis might want to negotiate something they have, as well as their doubts about how to proceed in this situation since the sisters could simply buy May's place and help her rescue Amy.

"Could you do this for me?"

May asked excitedly at the suggestion of Katherine, who hesitated a little before speaking.

"I can, and it would be very easy for us, but Derosso doesn't know that we know about Clovis. If we deal with him, it could end up alerting Derosso. We are concerned, as he has been too quiet lately. We detected several indications that he is planning something. So alerting him to our findings at this point will put us at a disadvantage, and we don't want that."

May was disappointed to hear that, but she knew she had other ways to resolve this situation.

"I'm going to have to sell the warehouse to Clovis then. Now that I know his reasons, I will be able to negotiate on equal terms. Selling to him would put you at a disadvantage, so I apologize in advance, but Amy is more important to me."

Katherine nodded understandingly. She understood May's side, so she didn't blame her for doing something that could harm them. After all, what was at stake was the safety of her child. She couldn't be so selfish as to ask her not to do that.

"But Katherine, you came to the firm today to request a restraining order for Clovis. What were you going to do?"

"I wanted to deal with him temporarily using the law. The idea was to forbid him to approach the mansion, and thus to force Derosso to take some action. He has been very cautious about contacting Clovis. According to our information, he only contacted him once in the past seven months, which is why we discovered the connection between the two."

"We made some preparations, and the plan was to get him to contact Clovis to get some idea of ​​his goals. By placing a restraining order, Clovis could not approach the mansion, so maybe Derosso would have to change his plans. "

"At the very least, if he didn't comply with the restraining order, I would 'accidentally' kill him. My actions when dealing with people like Clovis are well known, he wouldn't be suspicious if I killed Clovis..."

When it came to that part of thinking, Katherine's expression changed, and she realized something.

"Wait. For the past few weeks, Clovis has been very persistent, every day he comes to the mansion to visit us. Even if we don't answer, he'll be back the next day."

"My way of dealing with these types of people is well known, Derosso knows that. So if Clovis started acting like that expecting me to do that... Did he want me to place a restraining order on Clovis? But why?"

After realizing this fact, Katherine started to murmur, and after reasoning enough, she looked at Sara, hoping she would help her with her thinking. Unfortunately, Sara looked a little tired at the moment. She was looking down in the air.

Seeing Sara's situation, Katherine shook her head and said to May.

"Do you need to give Clovis the answer when?"

"I think I can postpone it for a few days."

"Perfect then. Could you give me two days to think about what to do?"

"Okay, that was the plan. I can't accept the idea of ​​letting him go unpunished. I will investigate him in the next few days and try to discover some evidence of his rottenness."

Upon hearing this, Katherine was slightly interested and said.

"Do you want to make him go to jail?"

"No, I want to destroy him completely. The evidence will serve only as a method of protection."

May's words carried a deep hatred that surprised Katherine. She heard a little about her story with Clovis but didn't think it would be at that level. Seeing her like this, Katherine was silent for a moment and said.

"I'll help you out a little then."

Katherine then raised a hand and a butler entered the room carrying a tray. On top, there was a gun. When she saw this, May understood what help Katherine was giving and nodded. Picking up the gun on the tray, she took out the magazine and saw that it was full.

"Thank you, Katherine."

Seeing the familiar way in which May operated the gun, Katherine was surprised but said nothing. Then looking at Lucas, she thought.

'What is this boy capable of doing that made Sara so shocked? Does it have to do with the first slot? It can't be, right?'

Lucas felt Katherine's gaze and simply smiled slightly. The whole time, he said nothing and did nothing. As so far nothing he needed to do came up, Lucas felt that he should continue to play his role as an observer. If May needed help, he would be involved. If she could handle it alone, however, he wanted to see what she would do.

Seeing the ease with which she operated the gun, he was again surprised, he did not know that May had previously dealt with guns.

...

After sending the two away, Katherine returned to the room and watched Sara silent. She was disappointed in the meeting, as she thought that together they could think of a way to deal with Clovis and Derosso, but the smartest person in the room was silent the entire time.

At the very least, she thought, using the warehouse, they could come up with a plan to deal with Derosso's pawn, Clovis. Unfortunately, she couldn't think of anything and was concerned about Sara's strange reaction, so all she could do was end the meeting earlier than planned to try to understand what was going on with Sara.

"Hey, what's going on?"

Sitting back in the chair, Katherine turned to Sara and asked. At that moment, Sara seemed to be thinking about something and was pulled from her thoughts by Katherine.

"Nothing."

Katherine's eyes narrowed when she saw that Sara didn't want to speak.

"Come on, tell me what's going on. You were silent for the entire meeting. I was counting on your intelligence to help us solve the problems related to Clovis and Derosso, but in the end, look at you, thinking about something else."

"I must remind you that this is vitally important, it is related to the survival of our faction. Derosso has always been a stone in our shoe, and he's been suspicious lately. Clovis's recent actions only make everything more suspicious."

"This is not the time for you to be thinking about other things. You need to help me think of a plan to deal with Clovis."

"In a few days, May will sell the warehouse to Clovis. If Derosso's plans take this warehouse into account, we will be at a disadvantage. We need to react."

Katherine was trying to get Sara to say something, but she remained silent. Sighing of frustration, Katherine leaned against the chair and closed her eyes to think better in the situation.

Sara, on the other hand, was having the biggest mental debate of her life. At that moment, she was at the end of her wits trying to make a big decision. Minutes passed, and when her thoughts finally subsided, Sara turned to Katherine and said with a forced smile.

"Kat, I have something to say."

Hearing Sara's words, Katherine finally relaxed. Turning to Sara, she noticed the forced smile and question marks appeared over her head.

"That guy who was here before... Lucas. He responded to the second slot."

Katherine tilted her head slightly, remembering what was in the second slot, and when she realized it, her expression turned to complete disbelief, she even stammered when trying to speak.

"R-R-Really?"

Katherine's eyes lit up when she heard this, her breath hurried a little. Seeing Sara's confirmation, a bright smile appeared on her face and she stood up.

"Ok, I need to get to know him better..."

When she was planning to leave the room, she suddenly remembered Sara's forced smile and her strange expressions from before. Sitting on the chair, she looked at Sara, who was looking at her too.

"There's more to it, right?"

Katherine was serious when considering what made Sara so uncomfortable. Then remembering the whole meeting, from beginning to end, she remembered that at first, Sara seemed extremely happy, and at a second moment, very sad.

Then remembering the slots that she remembers that Sara put, her expression became stranger and stranger, finally becoming a frown. Looking at her, Katherine asked.

"Don't tell me... that he is also suitable for the first slot?"

Sara didn't react much when she heard that, but knowing her, Katherine knew she was right. Sara is very good at her poker face, but as she spent years caring for her younger sister, Katherine knew her like the back of her hand. She realized at the time that she had got it right.

"... Really? Will you give it up for me?"

Katherine asked with a disappointed expression. The two sisters love each other deeply, and it can be said that, in this world, they trust only one another and no one else. She never thought, however, that Sara would give up a man for her so easily. After all, the second slot is the same as the first, only to find someone for her; Katherine.

Sara grew up watching Katherine, her older sister whom she loves and respects, so she knew how frustrated she was that she couldn't have a relationship. She also knew that Katherine had given up marrying many years ago since her body was practically that of a child.

So five years ago, when she placed the first slot to look for her soulmate, she also did the same for Katherine, placing it in the second slot. At first, the two were excited to use this ability to find their soulmates, but months went by and they couldn't find anyone.

Katherine always wanted a boyfriend mainly because of the complex about her appearance. She wanted romance, even if her body was not ideal for that.

Sara also always wanted a boyfriend, especially because of her sister's overprotection. She understands why Katherine is so overprotective, but when she was younger, she felt suffocated. In more recent years she has started to "understand" the reason for overprotection, and even then, there are days when she feels suffocated. Especially in the past two years that the house has been exposed to anti-insect chemicals day and night.

Both wanted a boyfriend, one had already given up, while the other was always looking, much to Katherine's frustration.

When they found it, however, the answer to the skill was from the same person. At first, Sara didn't know what to do, but in the end, she gave up on Lucas to her sister. After all, Katherine has a complex about it, it's more important to her.

On the other hand, Katherine, as the older sister, could not accept Sara's will. She always took care of her, since she was little. When she gained her combat skills at the age of ten, she resolved to protect Sara no matter what.

Even when her parents "mysteriously died," Katherine always protected Sara. The discovery of the nature of Sara's ability just made her even more overprotective.

Sara's ability is useful for many things, incredibly powerful. Any organization would be crazy to have it. If it weren't for Katia, the two would either be dead or forced to work in another organization.

For these and other reasons Katherine is very overprotective of her sister and spoils her a lot. For her, Sara is the most important thing in her life, and she would give up everything for her little sister. So she couldn't accept Sara's actions. Like the older sister, it is she who must give up so that the younger sister can be happy.

Then, a heated discussion between the sisters started about Lucas, the result far from being decided.

...

Meanwhile, the Walker Sisters subject, Lucas, was watching May, who was driving in silence. He wanted to know what she is going to do. For now, he would only give suggestions. Whatever she wants to do, he will help her.

May, on the other hand, was still thinking about the fact that Sara was kidnapped ten years ago. She thought about asking about it, but Sara looked strange, very distant, as if she wasn't paying attention to the conversation. When Katherine decided to end the meeting earlier, she gave up and decided to ask about it on another occasion.

The fact, however, remains in her head, as it means that Katherine has not told the whole truth before. She did not mention at any time that Sara had been kidnapped, neither about the warehouse underground nor about such an organization that did experiments on humans.

May understood Katherine's decision not to tell about Sara's kidnapping as it is a sensitive subject, but she was still a little disappointed. After all, although at the beginning she approached Katherine superficially, seeking support about Amy, she quickly became friends with Katherine, and even talked about intimate things, like the whole situation with Sofia, Amy, and even about the kidnapping, though not with much detail.

They spent a lot of time together, so although she knew that Katherine hid many things for her good, she did not like her decision to hide something like that at such an important time.

After a while, she finally managed to put those thoughts aside. She began to oppose it, arguing that perhaps their relationship was not as deep as she had thought and that this is perhaps because she did everything artificially to approach her.

May has always been the kind of person who goes with the flow. She doesn't actively try to make friends or get close to people, so she always felt bad about how she approached Katherine for second intentions, although she always consoled herself that it was for Amy's sake.

When she decided to put those thoughts aside, questions about what to do began to appear in May's mind. Honestly, she didn't know what to do. Knowing about Clovis's motives puts her at an advantage in a future negotiation and knowing that he had someone supporting him from behind made her worried, as it made the situation even more complicated.

She didn't want something to happen to Amy as a side effect. Previously, she wasn't too concerned about Amy's well-being, since she knew that if Clovis hurt Amy, she wouldn't have to do anything, the government itself would do something. Espers children are very important to the government, you never know what kind of skill the child will develop.

Even the weakest of skills can be incredibly useful and powerful in some situations, so the government works on child surveillance with the idea of protecting them, no matter what situation they are in, as the loss of even one child is a big loss.

Knowing about Clovis's support, however, made May extremely worried. Although Clovis alone was not enough to protect himself from the government, according to the information she received from Katherine, Derosso has many acquaintances in the government, so the death of an esper child would be something that could be resolved.

Of course, Clovis would not do anything stupid, since even for Derosso it would not be a small problem. He wouldn't do something on a whim. But according to the situation, if May made a mistake, it could end up happening. So she decided on something very important.

"No matter what, I'm going to deliver that warehouse to Clovis in the negotiation."

May said out loud after thinking hard. Previously, she was hesitant, since she felt it would harm Katherine and Sara, but now that she has realized the risks that this entails for Amy, she had no choice.

Lucas understood May's decision, and was silent, nodding silently. She made the safest decision. He realized once again how important Amy was to May, who was not willing to take even the smallest risk to keep Amy safe.

"But that doesn't mean that we can't try anything else."

May said shortly thereafter, causing Lucas to raise his eyebrows, his lips curving in an amused smile. From the beginning, May seemed to have her plans to deal with Clovis, he was always curious to know what she would do, and how far she would go to deal with him.

"Clovis has powerful support, so we can't do anything with him openly, but..."

May smirked at the thought of what she wanted to do. She couldn't hand him over to the police, or do anything physically with him, as it would alert those who supported him, but what if...

"... What if we get some rotten and blackmail him?"

This is the biggest commitment that May could think of when considering the Walkers Sisters. If she could somehow get something to blackmail Clovis, she could use it however she wanted, which would not only guarantee Amy's safety temporarily but also help the Walker Sisters.

Most importantly, even if she doesn't get anything, it's okay, she just needs to negotiate with Clovis for Amy.

If she can, however, she could get information from Clovis, manipulate him in whatever way she wants, and at the end, when everything is resolved with Derosso, discard him as she wants.

Lucas smiled when he heard May's idea, he was pleased with her answer. Honestly, this Clovis was already becoming something incredibly irritating, Lucas thought.

"For now, let's move on to the first destination."

May started driving again.

...

The first place May chose to visit was the hotel where Sofia was taken after the kidnapping, one of the places on Jonas's list that Clovis visits frequently.

While getting out of the car, May took the gun she got from Katherine and hid it in her bag. Crossing the street, she entered the hotel. It was a large, five-star hotel, and as soon as the two entered, a doorman approached and said.

"Reservations?"

The place also had a five-star restaurant on the ground floor. The doorman deduced that Lucas and May wanted to have dinner, so he approached asking if they had a reservation.

"No, let's get a room."

The doorman was surprised and looked ambiguously at Lucas and May. After all, the two didn't carry any luggage, and since they were trying to get a room at the hotel, he couldn't think of any other reason. Nosy doorman, Lucas thought when he saw his expression.

"This way then."

He took them to get a room and offered to guide them. Usually, he carried the luggage, but the two didn't carry anything, he offered to carry May's bag that carried her laptop, documents and the gun. May obviously refused.

As they walked behind the doorman towards the room, Lucas saw May's eyes watching the place and didn't know what she was going to do. She hadn't said anything yet, he didn't know what plan she had.

While taking care not to attract attention, May observed the place, taking notes in her mind about some things. They got into an elevator and went up to the penultimate floor, the floor that May chose.

After exiting the elevator, the doorman took them to their room. Opening the door, he entered and started talking about the room. Until that moment, he tried to start a conversation with Lucas and May, with little success.

"The price of the minibar is separate. Next to the phone, there is an explanation of the hotel's services, as well as some other useful information such as the reception phone."

The doorman then went to the bedroom and opened the window to display the balcony. Normally, he wouldn't have even entered the room, but he thought May was incredibly beautiful; he wanted to know more about her. After watching them for a while, he came to the conclusion that Lucas was May's brother, which is why he hasn't left yet. Honestly, according to the protocol, if a couple comes to the hotel for sex, they must not present the room. He must just take them to the bedroom and hand over the electronic key.

As soon as the doorman turned to speak to May, however, he saw an unbelievable scene; she was pointing a gun at him, with Lucas leaning against the back wall just silently watching.

What he saw was so shocking that the doorman was unable to react at first, and when he finally noticed, May was approaching with the gun in her hand, her expression sharp.

"Turn around."

In fear, the doorman turned and raised his hands. His head, at that moment, was a mess. Currently, his main thought was.

'Why did I enter this room? If I hadn't entered...'

There is no camera inside the rooms, but in the corridor, outside, there were two cameras. If he hadn't entered the room, that situation would never have happened.

May, who made all this happen, was pleased that everything went well. She tried her best to look pretty and sexy to the doorman on the way. If he looked, she gave a stunning smile. In the elevator, she even pretended that she dropped her car keys so she could bend over and show off her ass.

The goal was to seduce the doorman, and it worked spectacularly. She knew that if the doorman was seduced, he would enter the room so he could curl up and try to stay longer.

"Take your clothes off."

May ordered while keeping the gun pointed at the doorman at a safe distance. Lucas didn't know what May's plan was, although he wasn't surprised that she picked up the gun at a time like this. He noticed May's attempts to seduce the doorman. On the way, she also seemed to show the behavior of a sister towards him, probably wanting to show that the two did not have this type of relationship. The doorman took off his uniform and just kept his underwear on.

"Lay on the floor."

The man then lay on the floor with his stomach down, still with his hands up. Then looking at Lucas, May asked him to tie him up with something. Lucas then looked around and saw the curtains in the room. There was a small rope that was used to keep the curtains attached to both sides.

Taking one of the ropes, Lucas approached the man and tied him up. He pulled the man's arms back and tied his thumbs. Seeing that the man was tied, May finally lowered the gun and helped him to his feet. Pushing the man on the bed, she picked up the clothes on the floor and handed them to Lucas.

"Dress and go out with them after a few minutes. There are cameras outside. If he doesn't leave, they will be suspicious."

Lucas nodded and started to undress. May then approached, still holding the gun, the half-naked man sitting on the bed, and asked.

"Do you know a man named Clovis Gartner?"

The man's expression changed completely when he heard Clovis's name, and May realized that. Pointing the gun at him again, she asked again.

"Do you know Clovis Gartner?"

The man was silent for a moment, but he could see May's eyes: she was not an amateur. She knew what she was doing, and seeing her sharp gaze, he knew that if he didn't speak, she would shoot.

"I know... He is a frequent customer at the hotel."

"Are you involved with him?"

The next question caused a minor reaction in the man, but May again noticed. She was watching him with all her attention, there was no way she could be fooled easily.

"Speak, what's your involvement with him?"

The man was silent for a few moments and also studied May. He wanted to know what she wanted, to understand her goals. Seeing the resolute look on her face, he finally sighed and decided to say everything he knew, he didn't want to die.

"I and some other employees help him when he comes here... You know what I'm talking about. In fact, without wanting to offend, are you one of his victims?"

The man asked about his suspicions, being careful not to irritate her. Unfortunately, he did it. Remembering the things Clovis did to her sister Sofia made May furious, her hand holding the gun started to shake, and seeing the fury in May's expression, the doorman was confused and at the same time surprised.

He has seen some victims of Clovis after what he did, and the victims often show fear and disgust as main emotions. Some of them are angry, but he never saw May's expression, which only showed infinite fury. It didn't look like the expression of someone who was attacked by Clovis. For a moment, the man wondered if the person attacked was one of May's relatives.

After a few seconds, May finally managed to calm down, and during that time, the man couldn't be more scared. For a moment, when he saw May's finger approaching the trigger, he thought she was going to shoot.

"Do you have any evidence of his crimes?"

May asked after taking a deep breath and calming down. Sofia has always been a sore spot for May. The mere mention of Sofia always upset her.

"Of course not, why would I have something like that?"

"I don't know, conscience, maybe? Don't you see what he does in that place? He destroys lives. When he does something like that to someone, it is not just the life of a woman that is destroyed, but also of all those close to her, don't you see that? It is an atrocity."

The man was silent. In fact, as a normal person, he feels guilty, but not enough to think about doing something like that. Clovis is powerful, and he is just an ordinary doorman, how could he dream of doing something like that?

"So, among the other employees, do you know someone who would do something like that? Among the various staff at the hotel, there must be at least one decent person."

The man was silent, but seeing May swinging the gun in front of him as if implying she was going to shoot, he didn't have much of a choice.

"Maybe a couple of people... But I doubt they have any evidence. Clovis is very good at cleaning up the evidence."

"Names."

After asking for the names, May looked to the side and saw that Lucas had already dressed and was waiting in silence.

"Carla and Lindsay, they are receptionists, they are both downstairs today."

"Sure, women..."

May laughed sarcastically to learn that they were both women, and the man answered.

"They are also victims..."

"And do they work here?"

"They need the money."

May's expression was bitter when she heard that, but she said no more. Pulling Lucas into the next room, she said.

"Try to locate these two when you leave the room."

"I thought you were just going to ask me to leave the room so it doesn't look suspicious to the cameras. If you want me to approach the other employees, however, it can be suspicious, since I am not known to anyone here. Not to mention, of course, the badge on my chest."

Lucas pointed to his chest, where he had a badge with the man's name on it; Paul.

"Don't worry, I already thought about everything. When you leave the room, look for a place without cameras, and change clothes. Go downstairs afterward and think of a way to approach them. If they are victims, and they continue to work here, there is a chance that they have obtained some evidence and are just looking for a chance to bring him down."

Lucas nodded silently when he heard that, and didn't think the plan was bad. Then looking at the room, he said.

"When I'm gone, be careful with him... But I have a question. Why are you so familiar with all this? It looks like you've done this before..."

May smiled at that, her expression a little satisfied. When she saw that Lucas looked puzzled, she said.

"Maybe I will say another time... You are not completely honest with me, so why should I be with you?"

Lucas smiled bitterly and suddenly an idea occurred to him. Putting his hands back for a moment, he suddenly put them in front and said.

"So let's do something about it."

In his hand, there was a strange little glass ball that appeared to have some colorless liquid inside.

13