Chapter 36: Despair
417 4 13
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

May listened to Lucas's words in silence and understood a little what he meant. Still, she couldn't accept it and said upset.

"If you had the ability, you should have spoken earlier. What if something happens to Amy? Although I understand your considerations, this is an extreme situation. If you have the ability and are willing to do it, you should act like a man and do it."

Although May was speaking angrily, her tone was not accusatory. She knew she was being selfish in speaking like that since Lucas has no duty to rescue Amy. She also blamed herself deeply about the child's situation, as she felt she should have done something to protect her before something like this happened.

She just felt that Lucas's considerations were very insignificant. So what if she will feel in debt? So what if he will interfere in her life? As long as she has Amy, the rest doesn't matter.

Lucas didn't have much to say either. Now that he had spoken openly, he also felt that it was a bit insignificant. After all, the subject was the well-being of a two-year-old. If he was willing to use his means to rescue her, it shouldn't be such an insignificant consideration to stop him.

Of course, he still hasn't explained that he had another reason for not getting involved: lack of information.

Lucas is a killer trained by his mother from a young age in countless things. From combat skills to general knowledge, languages, and even his disposition, reasoning, and way of acting.

One thing he learned from his mother that he takes for life is: Never do anything until you have all the facts.

To give an easy-to-understand example, let's assume a day-to-day situation, for example, at school.

Student A tells Student B that Student B's girlfriend cheated on him with Student C. Student B confronts his girlfriend, who denies everything, and in the end, they end the relationship out of mistrust.

If Lucas were Student B, he would investigate the matter first before confronting his girlfriend. He would ask colleagues of Student C if they knew something, investigate the girlfriend and the places she went, and/or confront Student C... He would take several actions first in search of the facts before making any conclusions.

He would be cautious and would not let an outsider disrupt the relationship he had. In the world in which he lived, people manipulating others is a recurring thing, something he was not willing to submit to.

Lucas hasn't done anything so far about May's situation for that very reason. He didn't have all the information, things were still going on, he didn't fully investigate everything.

In the end, although he felt that the reason he spoke to May was insignificant, he knew he was not wrong. If his suspicions about the situation of Amy are true, with everything that has happened so far, if he got carelessly involved, he could end up making a mistake. May or Amy, or even both, could end up dying in the crossfire.

Even the government is getting involved in this, treating the situation as if it were a national security problem. That says a lot.

When May saw Lucas's silence, she said nothing more. She was feeling a little guilty. He has no reason to help her, so she knew that was being unfair. Smart as she was, even without consciously thinking about it, she knew Lucas must have his own circumstances.

At this point, after everything she saw and heard, she felt that her daughter was being used for something in some sick game. She was under a lot of pressure and stress, which made her mood very erratic. She promised to apologize later for this rudeness.

While the two were having their thoughts, Major Miller came into the room and sat across from them. Looking at Lucas solemnly, she hesitated a little and asked.

"Sir, I was instructed that I must not hide anything. Do you want Miss May to stay here?"

Lucas nodded without thinking too much. This concerned to her daughter, how could he ask her to leave the room?

"What do you know about the Golden Child project?"

"So in the end I was right..."

Lucas sighed when he heard the question. He straightened up on the sofa and looked at May with a complicated expression. Who knew the first woman he met in San Diego had such complicated luggage?

"So Amy is..."

"A positive result from the project that no longer exists."

Lucas sighed again and shook his head. He then looked into May's eyes, which showed her confusion, but he still didn't explain and asked.

"Did the mother really died?"

"We are not sure. According to our investigations, yes, but as we have not seen the body..."

Lucas planned to speak more when May cut him off with anxiety.

"What are you talking about? What about Amy?"

Lucas looked at Major Miller so she wouldn't say anything and prepared his words. Tactfully, he began to explain.

"The Golden Child project is one of many projects that have existed over the past centuries to create children with supernatural abilities artificially."

May's face showed no emotion for a moment as she processed that information. Suddenly, she got up from the couch and spoke out loud.

"So you mean... My sister Sofia... Amy... Death during the birth..."

May's face paled as the words came out of her mouth and realization came. Little by little, the pieces came together in her head, and at the end of the thought process, her face was as pale as paper.

Her legs were as limp as pasta when she almost fell to the floor, saved by Lucas who noticed May's condition.

Leaning on Lucas's body, tears started to fall from May's face as she cried in silence. Squeezing Lucas's shirt tightly, she looked up and said in despair.

"W-What do I d-do now, Lu-Lucas? Amy... She... I AM SO USELESS!!"

"BEFORE... I felt I could find a way to protect her... But if she is an artificially created esper, then..."

Amid sobs, May tried to speak, but couldn't, despair washed over her heart. The reality was too difficult to accept.

She now knew the desperation of the situation she was in.

With Lucas's few words, she deduced the painful truth: ten years ago, when her older sister, Sofia, was kidnapped, she was used as an experiment in the Golden Child project.

Later, when Sofia became pregnant and gave birth to Amy, she died due to the burden of birth.

That means Amy is an artificially created esper.

The artificial creation of espers is a project that humanity has tried for centuries, never working, all were inhuman projects banned by most countries.

May learned this from the history books in high school.

If Amy really is an artificially created esper...

Just imagining it, May feels like she's going to be sick.

If that is true, the whole world will want her. At that moment, how can she protect the child? In fact, who will be able to protect her?

This fact will cause all organizations in the world to have red eyes just listening.

The impact was so great that May felt like she was going to pass out, and if it weren't for Lucas holding her tight, she would have collapsed in despair.

Lucas sat on the couch and hugged her silently as he sighed. He suspected it was that when he heard about Sofia's kidnapping case, but the confirmation still impacted him.

That's because he knew that unless his mother showed up in person, it would be impossible to protect the child.

Unfortunately, his mother died, which means that Amy...

Just thinking, he has a headache. At no time did he think or feel that he should give up the situation as May is probably feeling at the moment, but he knew that this situation was very complex and that it will not be easily resolved.

Looking at Major Miller, Lucas asked solemnly.

"How many know about it?"

"Within the army?"

"In the world."

With a bitter smile, the woman knew what Lucas was thinking and therefore did not know how to answer. Seeing her silence, Lucas asked another question.

"What is the government's stance?"

"Protect the information and the child."

"Do you plan to do research using her body?"

"Yes, but only when she gains her ability at age ten."

Lucas nodded slowly when he felt it wasn't too bad. He knew that the government generally took care of such matters as it involved the personal interests of many at the top. The current system in the United States prevents someone at a high level from using their power for personal gain, so any research done based on Amy will be used only by the government.

Thus, they have no reason to be cruel to the child and respect the parents to some extent. What will happen when the child turns ten? Lucas is not sure.

"Outside the army, how many know?"

"That we know of, only five people."

"I want the documents with relevant information about the case."

"Okay, but what do you plan to do? In exchange for telling you the information, my superior asked your intentions."

Lucas was silent for a moment and looked at May in his embrace that was still crying but listening intently to the conversation.

"I want to ensure the safety of May and the child. If all goes well, I will go to the Pentagon to negotiate about the child."

"Is that your personal will, or..."

Major Miller asked with hesitation on her face.

"You know the answer to that question very well."

Seeing Lucas's clear eyes, she nodded slowly and replied with a solemn expression.

"Okay. The generals await your visit."

13