9 – Dread
53 1 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Laura gave me a skeptical look and whispered. "Are you sure this will work?"

I nodded. "It should."

Back on the fourth floor. Since it was uncertain if the monsters below would be just zombies, or if there were more dangerous enemies, I prioritized making sure the two new teammates of mine were properly prepared.

Well, as prepared as we could be.

The fourth floor, like the previous two, were filled with just ordinary zombies. Maybe because of my actions before though, the horde was fairly thin. Only twenty or so and spread out throughout the hallway instead of clumped together.

Neil tightened his grip around his bat and whispered, "Well, I'm excited to be bashing heads. Should be pretty simple now, right?"

Laura rolled her eyes, whispering. "You're adapting too this way too quickly, Neil."

"Can't help it. Always did want to find out what it's like to be in a zombie apocalypse and bash heads."

I shook my head and said, "You still have to be careful. These aren't like the TV zombies. They're pretty fragile but they're also extremely strong. One wrong move and-"

"I'm dead meat. Got it. But that's what you're here for, right Alan?"

I sighed.

About forty minutes left. That was how much time we had to get out.

Now... all we had to do was to prepare this card and then play our hand.

I pulled some more spoons and forks that I restocked from the rooms on our way back before inching forward. Placing a finger on my lips, I beckoned for Neil to follow after me while Laura stayed back.

The plan was simple. The key to getting that first awakening was just to kill ten zombies... but it didn't say to do it on your own. Considering the somewhat game like system and the message about defying fate, it would probably count if you played a hand in it.

So for Laura, that should be covered with her reinforcing the bat Neil was using, and Neil... Well, considering he was the main damage dealer here, it'd be a non-issue.

And since I already had mine, all that we needed to do was kill the zombies.

Right.

Kill ten zombies... maybe twenty, without drawing attention to ourselves and getting mobbed to death.

A dangerous plan ordinarily, but...


[Zombie]

A basic undead enemy. Operates purely on touch and auditory senses. Fragile, but possesses a vicious strength capable of rending steel... provided the body does not shatter. Charges towards the closest/loudest sound that is not another zombie. Lethal weaknesses: Head, heart. General weaknesses: limbs.


...It seemed like I reaped some benefits from using the combat prowess. That, or there was a synergistic effect with Rebellion.

Either way, it wasn't shooting in the dark now.

...Well, it was still fairly dark from the lack of lights, but since Laura was handling the flashlight, we could at least see the enemy.

A zombie lingering in front of an open room.

Neil turned to look at me, gesturing with the bat.

I shook my head and then carefully moved around the zombie.

It twitched, raising its head to look at me.

Before it decided to charge, I chucked a spoon into the room, making sure to keep the bounce low so it wouldn't make too much noise.

A light *ting* echoed as it struck the tiled floor in front of the doorway.

The zombie roared and lunged towards it, flailing at the ground.

That time, I looked at Neil and nodded.

He grinned and then walked forward, bat in hand.

The zombie paused, turning around when Neil stepped into range. But before it could do anything...

*Thwack*

A fleshy sound. Faint, but clear.

I flinched, expecting blood to splatter. But it didn't.

Looking closely, I saw that Neil managed to somehow... flatten the zombie all at once?

An almost cartoonish 2D form of the zombie lay pressed against the floor for a few seconds before it faded into dark smoke.

Neil spun back and stuck his thumb up.

I shook my head.


The rest of our little quest went by without much trouble.

Laura followed after us, lighting up the way. I distracted the zombies... and Neil flattened them.

Like that, ten minutes passed. And like that, we cleared out the zombies on the floor. When we did-

"Huh." Neil blinked, looking at the empty space in front of him. "Seems like Alan was right."

Laura did the same, frowning. "Blessing? No, mind, body, soul...?" She looked at me and said, "Did you choose already? No, you must have since you knew about it, right? Which did you choose?"

"The mind and body are a trap." I shook my head and said, "Both are things that we already use. The soul though... Well, when I used it I got a better handle on my 'word.'"

In truth, I got another one, but I didn't need to tell them that.

"Hm..." Laura's frown deepened. "Are you sure they're a trap? If we awaken our mind's potential... wouldn't that mean we can use a hundred percent of our brain?"

I blinked. "You... do know that fact isn't completely true, right?"

Laura rolled her eyes. "I'm not an idiot. I know we use all of our brain at different times. I'm just saying that it would let us use all our processing power at once, wouldn't it? And the body... that'd let us use all of our muscular strength and override the limiters?"

Neil spoke up and said, "She's a biology major."

"Shut up, Neil. No one asked you."

He shrugged. "Just saying since Alan seemed surprised."

I was a bit surprised... but I didn't say that. It'd probably be rude if I mentioned that I thought she might have been a typical blonde...

"Anyway," I said. "The choice is up to you, I guess. I'm just saying it'd probably be better in the long run to choose to Awaken the soul... especially since you can reinforce things, Laura."

"Mm." She nodded. "I guess you're right... Still don't like it though. And one more thing." She turned to look at me and said, "When we're out of here, I want to know just how you know all of these things. And not just some wishywashy answer like before."

I nodded. "Fair enough. But we need to get out of here first."

Laura tapped the air in front of her.

Seeing that, Neil stretched and said, "Might as well follow the crowd then..." Saying that, he tapped the air as well.

Not even a second later-

"Whoa." Neil staggered, clutching his head. "That's a weird feeling."

Laura staggered too, leaning on the wall. "Owowow... my head..."

I blinked.

That reaction was definitely less mild than mine was...

Should I be jealous? Probably.

But I didn't have the time to envy them. Instead, I quickly said, "Did anything change? Any messages?"

Laura held out her hand and said, "Could you... shut up for a bit? I feel like I've got the mother of all hangovers..." She frowned and then looked in front of her, reading something only she could see. "Hm... It says that I can reinforce as much as I want now, but that I'll get tired if I do too much?"

I nodded. So the awakening affected her word as I expected... and gave her more control over it as well.

"Neil?" I glanced over and addressed the other guy.

He shook his head and said, "I can... crush more things at once? I dunno. It doesn't say much other than I get a bigger area of effect."

So a strengthening instead.

...I didn't get how the awakenings worked, but it seemed to be beneficial enough.

Since it was like that, we wouldn't have to worry about being mobbed by ordinary zombies. And with Laura's ability...

"Alright." I glanced at the timer.

Less than thirty minutes left.

"...We should get going then. Laura, you should reinforce your clothes and body while you have the chance."

Laura frowned and then said, "...Oh. I could do that now, couldn't I?" She focused and then started tapping on something in front of her.

"Neil, you think you've got a handle on how to use your upgraded ability?"

The bearded man shrugged. "Seems simple enough. I just hit harder."

Laura scoffed. "Musclehead... How are you even a business grad student?"

Neil shrugged.

Arranging my bag again, I pulled out the shower rod I had been using and handed it over to Laura.

"Hm?"

"A weapon. Reinforce that for yourself, and then we have to go." I glanced at the timer, thinking.

Thirty minutes should be plenty of time to get down to the first floor and leave.

Laura nodded, tapping at something in the air again, before turning towards me.

Neil rolled his shoulders, ready to roll.

"Alright." Since everyone was ready, I walked back towards the stairs, beckoning for the two to follow me. At the same time, I did the usual sign to keep quiet.

The two nodded and followed.

But then-

*Ding*

A soft chime as well as a vibration on my watch.

I frowned and glanced at it. But I noticed that Laura and Neil were glancing at their watches as well.

Confused, I tapped on the screen. And then-


[Admin Message]

It seems like there's someone who shouldn't belong mixed up in the crowd~! Sorry to say it, but we'll be releasing the Dreadnought ahead of time! Try to stay alive!


My eyes widened.

A flurry of alerts. Without even tapping on my watch, they appeared in my field of vision, blazing in the dark.


[Your Fated Demise is:]

Killed by the Dreadnought - 100%

[Tasks to avoid your Fated Demise:]

RUN. NOW.


"Hey, Alan-" Neil started whisper, confusion on his face.

And then the floor started to shake. No, not only that, but there was the sound of straining metal. Not from the stairs, but the elevator.

I suddenly remembered.

One of the tasks had been to defeat the Dreadnought before it changed. And the place where that monster was supposed to be...

I spun around, eyes wide.

And then the doors on the elevator flew off, smashing into the wall. At the same time, a massive hand slammed onto the floor.

"RUN!"

I didn't stop to see if Neil and Laura were following me.

"W-Wait up, man!"

"I knew this was a bad idea!"

"▂▂▃▃▄▄▅▅!"

3