CHAPTER 33 – What to do now?
4.1k 13 156
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The next morning, being Saturday, I took the chance to sleep all the way until 10:00 AM, and right after waking up, I started thinking about something.

{Mm… Things went really well. I took a lot of points, took care of that bitch, Rakepick, and even saved the ass of a few upperclassmen. Though, why they were there is still a mystery to me.}

I looked at my status.

[User: Logan D. Taylor

Vocation: Sorcerer

Magic Level: 47

Magic Stage: 2

Status: Healthy

Familiars: 0

Points: 3215pts

Quests

Store

Inventory (Size limit: 830oz/23.53kg)]

{Heck, I even increased my ML by 1, but when? I don’t remember it… Oh well, whatever.}

CAW!” At that moment, Muninn came flying to my bed and dropped a wand over it.

“Mm? What’s this?” I took the wand and looked at it. “Wait. Isn’t this Rakepick’s wand?” I frowned.

CAW!” Muninn nodded.

“Mm… I still don’t know why you want me to collect these wands, but oh well, it’s not that heavy.” I shrugged while putting the wand inside my inventory. “Also… I guess I should pick the Druid class already. With all this happening around, I never know when I’ll need to heal someone else.” I said while opening the vocation store and buying my third vocation.

[Congratulations! You’ve successfully bought the Druid vocation!]

[Congratulations! You’re now a Druid! The strength of your healing spells increases! Your earth and ice affinities increase, making spells made from that element increase in power. New spells are available for you to use, check your spellbook! New advanced vocations are available for you to buy!]

{Mm? This one’s quite normal if I compare it to both the Summoner and the Arcanist. Oh well, I guess that would be normal.} I shrugged after thinking about it.

I then opened the vocation store to check the new advanced vocations, something that’s become quite normal each time I buy a new vocation.

[Vocation Store NEW! / 2215pts

- Druid (BOUGHT)

- Arcanist (BOUGHT)

- Summoner (BOUGHT)

- Tactician (1000pts)

- Master Sorcerer (7500pts)

- Arcane Battle Master (7500pts)

- Master Summoner (7500pts)

- Master Druid (7500pts)

- Arcane Grand Sorcerer (20000pts)

- Fire and Lightning Elementalist (20000pts)

- Void Summoner (20000pts)

- Ice and Earth Elementalist (20000pts) NEW!

- Master of Elements (20000pts) NEW!

- Arcane Ancient Druid (20000pts) NEW!

- ???]

*sigh…* I can’t believe this. I must be some kind of masochist. Why do I keep watching the new vocations knowing that someday I’ll have to choose among them…?” I muttered to myself. “Oh, well. I’ll just keep going on until that moment arrives.”

After saying that, I quickly bought a few more Blank Runes, barely 20 of them, which cost me 200 points.

“Now, I guess I’ll keep this going for far too long.” I thought while opening the Spellbook Store.

[Spell Books NEW! / 2215pts

- Magic Spell Book (150pts) BOUGHT

- Spellbook of Enlightenment (500pts)

- Crude Umbral Spellbook (1000pts)

- Spellbook of Dark Mysteries (1500pts)

- Scorching Spellbook (1500pts)

- Electrified Spellbook (1500pts)

- Spellbook of Souls (1500pts)

- Bestiary (1500pts)

- Frozen Spellbook (1500pts) NEW!

- Wooden Spellbook (1500pts) NEW!

- ???]

{Okay, I guess it added two new elemental-based Spellbooks. Just like the Bestiary that appeared when I acquired the Summoner vocation. Not that it matters. System, I want the Crude Umbral Spellbook.}

[You’ve bought the Crude Umbral Spellbook!]

[This spellbook is special, as it will grow with you. It’s a semi-sentient spellbook that will grant you great power once you take it to its final form. But even now, you’ll be able to give it a great use, as it increases your ML by two, and increases all your elemental spells’ power by 3%.]

Taking out the spellbook from my inventory, I could clearly see a dark-brown-colored book, with no design, except for a closed eye on its front.

“It looks quite creepy…” I muttered to myself while looking at the closed eye over the book. And no. It’s not precisely a painted eye, but a real closed eye. I wouldn’t be surprised if it suddenly opened itself.

{I guess I’ll have to promote it if I want the creepy eye to open.} I thought while looking at it. It somehow reminded me of Tom Riddle’s diary.

Opening it, I could see all my spells from all vocations, which by the way, were separated into four colors, purple for Sorcerer, blue for Arcanist, red for Summoner, and green for Druid, making it easier for me to search for them. It happened the same in my Magic Spell Book, so it wasn’t something unique to the Crude Umbral Spellbook.

The reason why I bought the Crude Umbral Spellbook, was because I didn’t need to buy another spellbook later, I just needed to upgrade it. And even right now, it was better than my Magic Spell Book, which would only work as a way to distract the old guy.

{System. How do I upgrade it?}

[First, you have to link yourself to it. Insert some magic into it.]

{Huh? Okay.} With a shrug. I sent some magic power into the book, and the eye that was on the front opened wide, showing a red glaring eye with a small black dot on the center while at the same time, I could feel a connection to my magic core. A connection that I knew was from the Crude Umbral Spellbook.

The red-eye looked directly into my own eyes as if looking into my soul. But just when I thought it would do something, it merely closed itself after a few moments of watching me.

*sigh…* That was weird…” I muttered to myself.

[Now that you’re linked to your book, you just have to wait. Once your magic core evolves into the third stage, your Crude Umbral Spellbook will also evolve into an Umbral Spellbook.]

“Huh? Then does that mean that for me to have its final form I’ll just have to wait for me to reach the fourth stage?”

[No. There’s something else you have to do. But you’re not allowed to know that information yet.]

“Okay… Doesn’t matter. I guess I’ll just go out for a little while.” With that said, I stretched myself while going towards the bathroom of the room.

***

Later that day, in Dumbledore’s office.

“Did you say, Rakepick appeared?” Dumbledore frowns at Andrew’s words.

In his office, Andrew, Rowan, Ben, and Merula were talking with Dumbledore, as well as Snape, McGonagall, Madame Sprout, and Flitwick.

“Yes… We went to the forest because Ben and I found a letter that said that my brother would see ‘R’ at the groove in the Forbidden Forest. But we only found a big group of dementors.”

“I don’t understand, Mr. Nolan. Why would you four go into the forest when Professor Dumbledore clearly said that it was dangerous out there!” McGonagall said while frowning at the student’s action.

“I must agree with your professor. And you Miss Snyder, I certainly expected something better from a member of my house.” Snape also frowned and looked at them all, especially at Merula.

“Now, now, we shall calm ourselves, professors. Certainly, what they did was quite risky, and really stupid. But all in all, it’s good that they’re safe. But you still haven’t answered my question. Did Madame Rakepick appear in the forest?” Dumbledore asked again.

“Yes, sir. She did.” This time, it was Merula who answered the question.

“You could have been in a really dangerous situation! What were you thinking!?” Flitwick intervened. “Patricia Rakepick isn’t someone that a group of students can take!”

“But professor, I wanted to know what my brother was up to!” Andrew said while looking at Dumbledore.

“I’m sure you do, Mr. Nolan, but you were in danger, and even worse, you put your friends in danger too.” Dumbledore frowned at him.

“We went there by ourselves! He didn’t ask us to go, professor.” Ben said, still hurt from the fight.

“Not now, Mr. Copper. We will later talk about your small escapades to Knockturn Alley.” Professor McGonagall said with a frown.

“!” Ben flinched at the stern voice of McGonagall.

“But I must ask something, if Patricia Rakepick was there, how is it that you only came out with some injuries. From Mr. Copper’s injuries, I doubt it was a pacific talk.” Madame Sprout asked.

“That’s certainly something worth asking, Pomona.” Dumbledore nodded while turning towards the students. “So? What exactly happened there.”

“Well…” Andrew started. “Once the dementors appeared, we tried to fight them off with our Patronus, but they were too many. At least until a corporeal Patronus appeared, it was Patricia Rakepick’s lioness Patronus… It sent all the dementors away.”

“After that… She attacked me with a strong disarming charm, before attacking Andrew too.” Merula said.

“I had to face her…” Ben also scratched his head. “I thought I would be able to do it, but that almost cost me my life.” He said hanging his head low.

“What!?” McGonagall was dumbfounded at hearing Ben said that. “What do you mean, Mr. Copper?”

“She used the killing curse on him, professor.” Andrew answered her, leaving the entire group of professors surprised. “But Rowan appeared just in time and shove him away, we all thought she received the impact of the killing curse.”

“For Merlin… Are you saying that Miss Khanna here received the impact of the killing curse…?” A surprised Flitwick spoke in a soft voice.

“Well, I…” At that time, Rowan started speaking. “I didn’t survive it by myself professor, someone helped me.”

“What do you mean!?” McGonagall asked her student. “There was someone else there?”

“Yes, actually…” Andrew nodded. “We couldn’t see his face. He was covered in some kind of blue turban.”

“And you’re saying he saved you, Miss Khanna?”

“Yes, Professor McGonagall.” Rowan nodded, before pondering for a bit. “I’m not too sure, but it seems like he sent something to receive the impact of the killing curse. And he did it twice, once she tried to attack me once again.”

“What did he use, Miss Khanna?” Dumbledore asked.

“A rock…? Maybe. I don’t know. All I could see was a stone levitating in front of me, receiving the impact of the second curse before disintegrating, and right then, he appeared out of thin air.”

“Thin air, you say?” Snape started asking with a surprised face, but before he could continue, someone knocked on the door to Dumbledore’s office.

“Were you expecting someone, Albus?” McGonagall asked.

“No, certainly not.” Dumbledore answered, before calling to the door. “Come in.”

“Hello, Professor Dumbledore, I wanted to-” Right then, a student came into the office, only to stop midway, looking around at all the ones present. “Um… Am I interrupting something?”

“Oh, Mr. Taylor!” Flitwick greeted his student. “Were you looking for Professor Dumbledore?”

“Um, yes. Professor Flitwick. But I can come and ask later.” Logan answered.

“Is it something you have to ask me in private, Mr. Taylor?” Dumbledore asked with a mysterious glance.

“Um… Not really professor, I just wanted to know if there was a way for me to help those that are injured? I’ve been practicing with a few healing spells, and well, I wanted to see if I could help those with minor injuries now that Madam Pomfrey is petrified…” Logan said with an awkward smile.

“And why would a student from the first year ask to help in the infirmary? You must know that it isn’t something a mere freshman can do. Healing is quite a difficult art for anyone.” Snape said with a frown.

“Well, I just thought that it would be a good way for me to get better at healing spells, while also helping my fellow students. I may not be able to handle everything, but I sure can at least help with a few bruises, Professor Snape.”

“He’s quite a talented fellow, Severus, you should wait and see, before denying him.”

“Albus, are you saying what I think you are?” McGonagall asked in surprise.

“Hehehe magnificent!” Filius Flitwick clapped. “I was expecting great things from you child, but to think you’re even able to use some minor healing charms.”

“It’s nothing professor.” Logan scratched his head.

“Well, then you’re lucky, Mr. Taylor. One of your… Fellow… Students here recently encountered a small problem, and one of them ended up injured. Maybe you could help Mr. Copper, and allow us to see.” Snape said with a mocking grin.

“Well, could I try?” Logan, instead of being nervous, merely asked.

“Go ahead, Mr. Taylor.” Dumbledore nodded.

“Albus, I don’t think it would be a good idea to-” McGonagall tried to dissuade Dumbledore, but was interrupted by an energetic Filius.

“No, no, McGonagall! Let him! He’s quite a great student, and I must say that I’m proud to have such a capable wizard in my house! I’m sure that he wouldn’t propose to help if he wasn’t sure of his abilities.”

While they talked, Logan already approached Ben, looking at him.

“So, do you want to try? I could heal you, really.”

“Are you sure?” Ben asked, a little worried about letting a freshman heal him. “I can just stay like this, it’s not something dangerous, and I’ll naturally heal, really.”

“Relax, it won’t hurt.” Logan shrugged with a smile, before taking out his wand and touching Ben with it.

“W-Wait, you don’t have to-” He tried to stop Logan, but the wand touched him before he could even ask him to stop. But, contrary to his expectations, he didn’t feel any pain and merely felt refreshed, all his wounds suddenly started healing at a fast speed.

At the same time, Logan’s smile changed into a somewhat happy smile, before turning back to his usual one.

“Well? How do you feel?” He asked Ben.

“I’m… I’m good.” He answered, still surprised to feel his body anew. Without even one injury. “How did you do it?”

“Well, I’ve been looking through some healing charms, and I found it quite amazing, so I kind of focused on learning more and more.”

“Magnificent! Albus, I think there would be no problem for us to allow Mr. Taylor here to help in the infirmary, what do you say!?” Filius asked excitedly.

“I have to say that I do share your excitement. Having another student help in the infirmary will sure be a good way for us to focus on more pressing things. Don’t you all agree?” Dumbledore asked at the other professors.

*snort*” While Snape only snorted, McGonagall and Madame Sprout both nodded at Albus.

“I’m sure that letting a promising student practice healing and develop his abilities would surely be an amazing thing for all of us.” Pomona Sprout said with a warm smile.

“Well, it’s decided then. Mr. Taylor, I must ask you to go wait for me in the infirmary, as I must finish my early discussion with these students here.

“I understand, professor.” Logan nodded and went out of the office.

***

Out of Dumbledore’s office, and right on his way towards the infirmary, Logan D. Taylor thought to himself about his new plans.

 

“Well, that went better than I thought.” I muttered to myself.

After I went to the RoR to practice some spells of the druid, I found out that thanks to this new class, I could earn ML and even points, while healing people, thanks to the System recommendation.

This led me to the idea of helping in the infirmary, even if it was healing small damage, I would be able to earn some ML and points while doing it.

And I even confirmed it while healing Ben, the idiot that tried to fight Rakepick yesterday, as I received 15 points thanks to healing him. It was more than I expected. I still don’t know if it depends on the damage healed or merely for healing someone.

I even achieved a hidden quest, giving me 100 points for healing someone for the first time.

[I never thought you would do that.]

{Mm? Why? You were the one to tell me that the more people I heal, the more points and ML I get.}

[Yes, but that depended on you showing your abilities.]

{Well… At this point, I already realized that someday people would discover my differences. For that, I have to grow as fast as I can, and while I’m not able to go daily to the Forbidden Forest, a lot of students constantly get hurt here for really stupid reasons. And that’s a way for me to win points and ML, aside from training and going to classes.}

[Are you not worried about the professors doubting you?]

{It’s not like I want to harm people. I want to heal. Why would they suspect me? And even then. I’m not worried about them hurting me. I’m pretty sure that except for a few professors, I could overpower most of them. And I’m sure I can even escape from Dumbledore if I have to.}

[…]

{All in all, I think I’m safe for the moments. I must become stronger as quickly as possible, and if that means showing that I can heal others, that’s not really a disadvantage. Also, I can do it soundlessly, so there’s no way for them to know that I used another type of magic, or at least, not one from another world. Maybe only Dumbledore knows, but that isn’t that bad, for the moments.}

With that last thought, I kept walking towards the infirmary, where I would talk to Dumbledore about my ‘apprenticeship’ in the place.

***

Moments later, after they finished their conversation, Dumbledore excused himself and went towards the infirmary, he still had a conversation with one of his students.

When Dumbledore entered the infirmary he found two students having a small conversation, one of them was Logan, the student he was going to talk to, while the other was Chiara Lobosca, a Hufflepuff with a secret of her own that’s been constantly helping in the infirmary as her dream was to become a healer.

 

“Wow! That’s amazing. I’ll certainly be appreciative of the help here…” Chiara Lobosca said to Logan. “After all, since Madam Pomfrey got petrified, I’ve been the only one taking care of all the students that got hurt here.”

“I can imagine that…” Logan said with an awkward smile. “Though I can’t exactly tend to all kinds of wounds or injuries, I’ll at least try to heal the minor ones or any type of physical damage.”

“That should be enough to help a lot around here.” Chiara Lobosca said with a smile. “Honestly, most of the cases that come here are mostly about physical damages, students that get jinxed or cursed usually go looking for Professor McGonagall, Professor Flitwick, or any other that can counter the curse or jinx…”

“I’m glad then haha.”

“Hello, I hope I’m not interrupting something.” I said with a smile as I approached both students.

“Huh? Oh! Professor Dumbledore, I didn’t see you enter!” Chiara stood up and greeted me.

“Hello, Professor, don’t worry. I was just introducing myself to Chiara who’s been helping in the infirmary.” Logan also stood up and greeted me with a smile.

“Yes, she has. Miss Lobosca has been quite a great help for Pomfrey while being here, and even more, now that Poppy is petrified, she’s been quite a great help for all of us here, since she’s been treating the students that come to the Hospital Wing.” I said while nodding at Chiara Lobosca.

“I-It’s not like that Professor! I’m merely trying to do my best, most of the professors are the ones treating the serious injuries.” She answered a little bit flustered.

*chuckles* Well, Miss Lobosca, I’m glad for you being here in the Hospital Wing, but I have to ask you to leave for a moment, as I need to speak with Mr. Taylor here, I’ll make sure he calls you when we’re done.”

“Um, okay, thanks, professor.” Chiara nodded while walking out of the Hospital Wing.

After some time passed, I decided to finally speak.

“Well, I must say, Mr. Taylor, that I’m quite surprised by your decision.”

“Mm? What do you mean with that, professor?” Logan tilted his head.

“Well, I didn’t think you would be able to heal people.” I said with a little smile.

“I recently learned some healing spells. This is why I wanted to both improve myself and heal other students, since Madam Pomfrey is currently petrified, I thought that I might be able to help those that are in trouble, Professor.”

{That for sure would be indeed helpful.} I thought to myself.

“I’m sure you can be of help.” Dumbledore nodded. “But I’m not here to talk about it, Mr. Taylor.”

“Mm?”

“Well, I’ve heard about the little adventure a few of our students had last night in the Forbidden Forest.”

“Huh? Really? Do you mean the group that was inside your office?” He tilted his head.

{And why would you try to act as if you didn’t know?}

“Those same students, but I’m sure you already knew about that, if their word is taken into consideration, isn’t it? Mr. Taylor?” I smiled at him.

“…” He looked directly at me. “Oh well, let’s say that appearing in front of them wasn’t something smart on my part.”

“Maybe you thought they wouldn’t tell us about their little adventure, perhaps?” I raised my eyebrow.

“Well, I must say, professor. That’s quite true. With it being the Forbidden Forest and the new regulations, I may have thought that they would keep the secret.”

*chuckles* That may be so under normal circumstances. But from what I heard they weren’t normal circumstances at all.”

“No. They weren’t.” Logan smirked. “They were far from normal.”

“Indeed, being saved twice from the killing curse can be something really surprising.” I nodded with a smile. “And for that, I must thank you, as you saved your fellow student from certain death. How? I don’t know. But the important thing here is that you saved her.”

“It’s no problem, professor. I thought Rakepick would do some shady thing, and I decided to stay just in case.”

“A wise decision. Without you there, I’m pretty sure either Mr. Copper or Miss Khanna would have died.”

“Professor, I’ll guess that’s not the only reason you’re here.” He said, this time with a serious face.

“…” I just looked at him for a moment.

“If you heard until then, I guess you also heard about what happened later. Again, these are no normal circumstances, aren’t they?”

{I guess he’s decided to tell the truth then…}

“I guess you’re right.” I nodded. “Then, would you kindly answer my question, Mr. Taylor?”

“Of course, that’s why you’re here, Professor.”

*chuckles*” I nodded. “Well, why did you kill Patricia Rakepick?” I asked him.

156