Chapter Two: A Whole New World
2.9k 21 79
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Ugh.  Let’s not make a habit out of that whole ‘fades to black’ thing. I’m already sick of it. It makes me feel numb.

 

Well, whatever. Doesn’t matter much in the grand scheme of things. And it's nowhere near annoying enough to quell my excitement.

 

Everything in me wanted to sing at the top of lungs and dance till I couldn’t anymore. A WHOLE NEW WOOORLD! One where I could do what I want and actually be happy.

 

Okay..okay. Let’s calm down.Lets answer some very important questions before moving on. Where am I? What am I?

 

Let's figure out where I am first. If I learned anything from guerilla warfare, it was to be aware of your environment. Knowing where you are could be the difference between life and death. 

 

I spun around in a circle, ignoring the body I found myself in for the time being(which was easy thanks to the numbness), to take in my surroundings.

 

If I had to sum it up in one word, it would have to be vibrant. Honestly, it was breath-taking. Luscious plants and colorful coral dotted the sandy floor. Crabs, lobsters, and other bottom feeders scuttled across the ground. Fish of all sorts soared overhead. There was a trench slashing through a part of the sea floor. Hmm...if I had to guess... I think that I’m in a tundra. Kidding, even an idiot would be able to deduct that this is an ocean of some sort. 

 

Okay now that that's answered, on to the question I’m scared to find out. What am I? Seeing as I’m at the bottom of the ocean, breathing normally and not being crushed to death, being human is out of the question. Let’s inspect~ 

 

Well, first off...no arms or legs. So even humanoid in general is a no. Fudge. Haah. That sucks. Anyways, let’s continue. Looks like I have eye stalks that can move independently from each other.I literally looked at one eye using the other...talk about disorienting. Ugh, I have a bad feeling about this, but let’s keep going. Grey body, seemingly long and streamlined. Covered and slimy mucus. Yep that confirms it, I'm a fudging slug. If I remember right, slugs are basically Earth’s equivalent to a fantasy world’s slime. Prey and cannon fodder to all. FUDGE THIS SUCKS.

 

Wait, I can lose all hope just yet. Didn’t Maua say there was a system in this world? Maybe I’m some super strong and dashing slug. 

 

Now before I engross myself, I should find somewhere to hide. I take another look around and happen upon some grey rocks that I should blend in well with. I quickly hurried over to them, with a speed that seemed unbelievable for a slug.

Now that’s out of the way, what's the word to view all that jazz. I read some of those novels but I’m firing a blank right now…..hold on I got it.

 

MENU OPEN!

 

Whoops, that’s not it. Good thing nobody can hear me. That would’ve been super embarrassing. So it must be the other one.

 

Status.

 

Name:  
Race: Grey Slug
Gender: N/A
Condition: Good
Level: 1
EXP: 0/1000
HP: 10/10 MP: 5/5 STA: 10/10
STR: 1 INT: 5 DEX:15
Danger Rank: G-
Titles: Migrant, Loved by a Goddess, ???, ???
Racial Skills: Slime Secretion LV 1
Acquired Skills:  
Unique Skills: Thoth

 

TADAH! These stats are fantastic! Just kidding this BLOWS! Okay, no need to get worked up, let’s calm down and take a closer look at it. 

 

Hmm...looks like my name is gone after all. Well, it's fine, I’d rather not have anything that is connected to that scumbag anyways.

 

Next up race...Grey Slug huh. Very creative name. Not that I can really refute it anyways. It’s completely right, simply a grey slug. 

 

Oi, what’s the deal with the gender? What do you mean non applicable? How does this species even reproduce? Well whatever, no point in racking my brain for answers I don’t have.

 

Levels and EXP eh? I assume that EXP stands for experience. Hmm...so that means there's viable ways to get stronger and maybe even go through some sort of evolution. Awesome! Maybe I won’t be stuck like this forever!

 

I’m pretty sure condition is just that. The state of your body at the time that you check your status.

 

Anyways, what does the rest of this junk mean? Lets use light novel knowledge to try to figure it out.  

 

HP must be health points….so how much life I have. Pretty standard I guess. Ten? I’m not liking that. No matter how I look at it...that can’t be a lot.

 

Moving on...MP. That must be...magic power. Awesome! Even though it’s just five, if I’m right, I can use MAGIC! I’m so glad I’m not like those protagonists that are highly untalented in magic. I would cry if I got put in a sword and magic world and couldn’t use it.

 

STA? Stamina maybe? Interesting, I’ll have to be wary of that one. It could suck if I run out of it.

 

Strength has got to be STR. Duh. Maybe it's got more to it than just muscles. But a one?  Guess I shouldn’t put faith into me being a bodybuilder. Well, that’s fine, not like I wanted to be one anyways.

 

INT...I’m not smart enough to figure this one out. Just kidding~ I think it’s intelligence. But it's no way that mine is only listed at a five. There’s no way I’m that stupid, right? RIGHT?! I’ll just assume it has something to do with magic or something. 

 

Ohhh, that DEX is looking good. At least in comparison to the rest of my stats. Dexterity right? I’m guessing it has to do with maybe nimbleness and weapon handling? Maybe that speed that I had? Kind of ironic huh? A nimble slug.

 

Now onto the really interesting ones. Danger Rank? Maybe that's how this world classifies the power of an individual. Or maybe just monsters.

 

Titles as a concept seem pretty much like your standard run of the mill isekai. What’s interesting is the titles that I’ve been bestowed. Migrant, would likely be your otherworlder label...cool! If I’m right, that means there’s probably more reincarnators. Loved by a goddess...ugh. So she wasn’t trolling me. Now that I think about it, I didn’t even ask questions about her being my lover in a past life. Guess I’m the real airhead. I’ll try to remember next time we speak. Now these last two are concerning to say the least. What in the moldy mayonnaise is ??? I have no clue about those.

 

Skills Skills SKILLS~ So cool! Okay first up…. racial skills. You’d have to be an idiot to not know what this means. Honestly surprised I even have one. Slime secretion sounds pretty pointless though. Of course I don’t have any acquired skills, I was just born like five minutes ago. What really caught my eye was that unique skill. Thoth? Isn’t that like the god of wisdom from ancient Egypt? I vaguely remember that from one of the books I read during my time at CRAP. Boredom is a dangerous thing.

 

Hahh.Man I wish I had an appraisal skill so I could confirm all these guesses.

 

BING!

 

Unique Skill Thoth has granted the acquired skill Appraisal LV 1.

 

Eh? EH? EHHHHHHH?!

 

That’s way too convenient but who am I to complain? 

 

And I guess that bing is a system notification?

 

Now let’s check what all this means.

 

I reopened my status and activated appraisal (which I knew how to use innately (so frigging cooolll!)).

 

Hmmm… name is self explanatory so lets start with race. 

 

BING!

Grey Slugs are some weakest monsters known to the realm of Amava. It is unknown where they come from, as they have no reproduction. It is speculated that they form from magic itself.Just as their species name suggests, they look like a common slug that is grey. As weak monsters, they usually end up as food for most other creatures. They are herbivores by nature. There is no record of a Grey Slug evolving or even leveling up.

 

Estimated Lifespan: 1 - 2 weeks

 

Size: 6 to 12 inches (15 -30 centimeters)

Evolutions: Unknown

 

Danger Rank: G

 

Wow that’s a lot of information for just Appraisal LV 1.

 

So it’s just like i thought….THIS RACE SUCKS. But on the bright side, I’ve confirmed the concept of evolution being a thing. I might be able to evolve into something else. Err….if Danger Rank works how I think it does… doesn’t that mean I’m weaker than the average for this super weaksauce race?!

 

Ugh….I feel a headache coming. Let's just move on. 

 

I would say levels, experience, and condition are self explanatory…. but there's something I want to check.

 

BING!

Levels: The number of experience thresholds a being has crossed.

 

 

Tch. I was hoping that it would tell me the level evolution happens at. Guess I was getting too greedy. Oh well, no point crying over spilled milk.

 

So let’s check HP.

 

BING!

HP: Health points

 The life of a being quantified into numerical values. When this hits zero...the being dies.

 

 

Well that’s what I thought but it doesn’t hurt to check. Next~

 

BING!

MP: Magic Power

The magical power of a being quantified into numerical values. When this hits zero the being can no longer use magic.

 

Awesome! So magic is confirmed and I can use it. MUHAHA!

 

BING!

STA: Stamina 

The endurance of a being quantified into numerical values. When this hits zero the being can no longer use move.

 

 

BING!

STR: Strength

This stat contributes to overall brawniness and skill with large weapons.

 

BING!

DEX: Dexterity 

This stat contributes to overall nimbleness and skill with small weapons.

Hmmm. Those were more or less as I thought but the weapons part is interesting. Guess I won't be clubbing anyone to death, but that's fine~

 

BING!

INT: Intelligence 

This stat contributes to capability to use and manipulate magic and magical weapons Contributes to resistance of mental fatigue.

 

HA! I knew I wasn’t stupid!

 

BING!

Danger Rank

The letter grade determining the power level based on stats and skills if used optimally according to the system . As such, it is an estimate and doesn’t necessarily actually tell the true power of the being. Categories go from G- to SSS+, with G- being the worst.

 

No comment.

 

BING!

Titles

Descriptions given to a being that add or subtract stats, bestow skills, and unlock evolution pathways.

 

Good good. Wonder if I can appraise specific titles.

 

BING!

Migrant

A traveler from another world.

Bestows: Language Comprehension, Speaking Proficiency (only for humanoid species)

 

SCORE! It works! And if I ever become a humanoid, I won't have to worry about learning new languages.

 

BING!

Loved By a Goddess

Holder of this title is the most beloved of a divine entity. 

Bestows:???

 

Another set of question marks. Tch, I can’t appraise any of them. Welp that leaves one thing left to look at. THOTH!

 

BING!

Unique Skill: Thoth

Skill that can grant user skills based on their knowledge on the subject.

 

That’s super vague….but it sounds like it could be super overpowered in the right hands. Errr...but not for my hands. I only have up to 7th grade of formal education for crying out loud. I don't know anything! GRRR!

 

*THUMP*

 

Eh? What was that? 

 

I had been trying to keep an eye out for threats. Guess I got distracted with the whole appraisal episode ...Fudge.

 

I quickly swiveled my eye stalks around surveying. They land on a giant fish. A goliath goldfish looking hungrily at the rocks surrounding me. 

 

Huh? Why is it looking at the rocks? Wait no, it's looking at me. Fudge. 

 

Taking no time to even attempt to appraise the behemoth, I inch toward the direction of the trench, having decided that it was my greatest chance of survival. 

 

Then suddenly I bolted, with the goldfish right on my tail. It even took a couple of chomps at me. I just barely dodged the attempts. That dexterity is sure is helpful!

 

As we near the trench, I noticed the goldfish steadily increase its speed.

 

Seems like it wanted to get me before we got to the trench.

 

Deciding to take my chances, as I reached the mouth of the chasm, I flung myself in. Allowing myself to be engulfed in the dark vastness.

Man this one took forever...But thanks for reading!!!!

79