Chapter 34: Birthday
1.6k 3 72
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Jered could hear the outpouring of mana bleeding out of the ground. It was so dense it felt like he was underwater. The problem was his sister. She had dropped to her knees, clutching her chest as she desperately tried to breathe, "Jasmine!" he held her in his arms, but it was a vain attempt at reassurance. Jasmine clung to him, staring at him, hoping to find a solution in his eyes. She gasped, blood trickling down her nose. He squeezed what little mana he had recovered, and molded it into a sphere around them.

Unfortunately, it easily crumbled under the Shadow's surging, more potent mana. Jasmine thrashed frantically, until she arched her back and snapped her eyes wide open. Rainey, sensing the impending danger, quickly grabbed Jered by the scruff of his collar, and teleported away. A gale of golden energy burst out of Jasmine's body, twisting around her like a hurricane. A cloud of debris shot up in the air, making it nigh impossible to approach her without getting maimed. 

"No way... did the Shadow get her?"

What was he supposed to do now? What was he supposed to tell their mother?"

"Being the weakest of us three, it makes sense that it would go for her. Don't worry, she's gonna be fine," Rainey comforted.

He grunted, "How can she be fine?"

"The Shadow chose an unwilling catalyst. It can't possess people without their consent, but..."

"But?"

"Even if she resists it, it won't go away. It'll stay inside her, and affect her in various ways," Rainey explained, "She's going to be physically fine, but her mental health will slowly deteriorate. She can learn to tame it and control it, but your sister has no magical training. Even I don't know what will happen exactly, besides, we don't know what kind of Shadow it is."

Jasmine floated, unconscious, controlled by an unseen force. Her hair swayed, her eyes emitting a blinding white light. Golden symbols grew on her skin, gifting her with an otherworldly aesthetic. Not once did she regain consciousness during this transformation. The winds rampaged harder, destroying everything in their vicinity. Then again, there wasn't much else left to destroy after he unleashed Pharaoh's Flame on those Magicians; nonetheless, Jered and Rainey were forced to take a few steps back, "Are you sure she'll be fine?" he asked. 

"I assure you that she'll live, but beyond that, I don't know," Rainey sighed, "There are very few documented cases of Shadow possession..."

"Fantastic."

"Jered, whatever happens, remember that you'll have to take care of her. She might go through mood swings, become extremely violent, and crave things she normally doesn't. She might even display magical abilities. You must make sure she stays out of the Arcane Association's radar. If they, or any magical organizations, catch wind of it, it's highly likely that they'll go after her. Only a fool makes a contract with a Shadow, and only an even bigger fool would let someone like that live."

The sharp winds eventually died down. 

Jasmine, who was in the eye of that gold-tinted storm, nosedived. But before she could crash down, Jered secured her body in a Telekinetic bed. Then he pulled her towards him, until she was all cooped up in his arms. He studied her sleeping face, looking for changes, hints, anything that suggested she had become someone else. She seemed so free of worries, yet this was the beginning of all of their troubles. Since she saw, she couldn't be left out of the loop.  

"So, what now? We go back, celebrate her birthday, and pretend nothing happened? Tell me, Rainey, how am I supposed to protect her?" it was the first time Jered held her sister so up-close in a long time. He couldn't help but notice how frail, light, and vulnerable she was. It was ridiculous to think that a monster dwelled inside her, "I could barely keep myself alive today... if something like this happens again, she'll be as good as gone."

"Sounds like a good time to drop everything else and focus on your arcane studies," Rainey eyed her surroundings, ensuring there were no more surprises. A good portion of Mistwood was in smoking ruins, "I wish I could support you more, but I have a lot on my plate already."

He nodded thoughtfully, "I know..." then he looked back at their car. Jane would throw an apoplectic fit if she were to see it, "Can I trouble you with one more favor?"

She groaned, "Ah, whatever!"


It felt like a lie. Jered ventured a glance at his sleeping sister. There was no confrontation between the Shadow and them, which was weird; he had seriously expected to kick the bucket. He was mana-drained, and Rainey was limited with the spells she could use. But now, everything was over. One might even be led to doubt that there was something wrong with Jasmine. She looked so peaceful, so serene. There was a lot of explanation to do, but since it was her birthday, he reasoned it was for the best to postpone it until the next day.  

She was his responsibility.

A sigh rolled out of his lips. Still, it was alright. He did want some excitement in his life, and while this might prove to be just a bit too much, he was not about to bow out of it. 

The sun was about to set when they finally got back home. Honestly, he didn't know whether they were late or early to the party. Well, it didn't matter. It was going to be just them. Jered parked the car outside, and turned it off. Jasmine grunted, slowly coming back to life. Just in time too, "How are you feeling?" he asked.

"I don't know... weird, I guess," she mumbled, stretching.

"Weird how?" 

She unfastened her seatbelt, "Umh... tired..."

"Hmm, yes, I understand."

"Jered... um, just what—"

He raised a hand, immediately shutting her up, "Wait. I know you have a lot of questions to ask me, but not right now. Mom is waiting for us inside. It's your big day, so please, put on a smile..."

Looking at his phone, he could see many unread messages and missed calls, no doubt from his very concerned mother. 

Jasmine nodded, still, it was hard to force herself to smile. She had seen a lot today. A lot of blood. She had seen things that didn't make sense. She had almost died. Almost seen her brother died too, and had seen many corpses. She was shaken, terrified, and her head just wouldn't clear up those thoughts. She heaved a deep breath in, preparing herself. Jered was patient. So, with a second sigh, Jasmine stepped out of the car. 

"Give me a second, sis," Jered flicked his wrist, and cast 'Cleanse' over them. They were covered in soot and dust, not to mention the bloodstains on Jasmine's clothes. She blinked at his display of magic, then gave him a knowing smile. He smirked, and opened the door. The house was capped by a veil of darkness. Jered let Jasmine take the lead as they headed into the living room, then once she flipped the light on...

"SURPRISE!"

Jane popped up behind a tastefully decorated table. She was wearing a tight, white shirt that had a clear emphasis on her bountiful bust. The deep valley of her cleavage could be seen from the low-cut of her collar. Her shorts were bleached from prolonged use; she used them whenever she was in her cleaning mode. However, the way it clung to her curvaceous thighs gave her a housewife sexiness that would have had any man at their knees. Jasmine gasped, half-surprised. She had most likely predicted such an outcome. 

A cluster of colorful balloons floated around. The decorations were minimal, but still well-done. There was even a banner nailed on the wall that read, 'Happy Birthday!'. She had done a terrific job. 

"Oh my God!" Jasmine squealed, dashing towards her mother, "Thank yoooou!!" they hugged, jumped, and squeaked with glee. Of course, Jered was not spared from their enthusiasm and was forced to tuck between them for a group hug. It spiraled out of control when Jane began taking selfies, something that Jasmine excitedly endorsed. Since it was a two versus one situation, Jered couldn't back out. 

"Smile, Jered! Cheeeseee!" 

"..."

With a tap of Jane's finger, her phone's camera shuttered.

"Ah, not good! You were looking away. Let's take another!"

"..."

"And another."

"..."

"One more."

"..."

"Jeez, hug me harder!"

"..."

"Jasmine, get closer to your brother! Gosh, don't be a stranger and hug him!"

"..."

"..."

Fortunately, their photography session didn't last for long for Jane busied herself with taking pictures of the cake. Thank God. Jered appreciated her efforts, but it exhausting to smile for photos. At least it was over now. He sighed, "OH BABY BABY ~" the sudden blast of music nearly made the distracted Jane jump out of her skin, "OH BABY BABY ~" he turned around, and stared at a smirking Jasmine. 

"Oh baby baby, how was I supposed to know ~" she held the remote control before her mouth, "That something wasn't right here ~"

She spun around, and dance-walked up to him, "Oh baby baby, I shouldn't have let... you go... ~"

"And now you're out of sight, yeah ~"

"Show me, how you want it to be ~ Tell me baby, cuz I need to know now ~ Oh because ~"

"Jasmine, no," Jered retreated.

Her smirk grew even wider as she stuck close to him, "My loneliness is killing me ~" she swayed her hips, "I must confess, I still believe ~"

Ah, whatever. 

"When I'm not with you I lose my mind ~"

"Give me a siiiiign ~ HIT ME BABY ONE MORE TIME! ~"

Jasmine screamed, danced, jumped, and unleashed whatever she was holding in through her singing. Of course, her target to torment was her brother. The more he disliked it, the more she relished in her wickedness. Which was why she had dedicated a few more songs to him. Eventually, Jane chimed in and put an end to her unwanted concert. She ushered her daughter behind the table, and lit up the candles. With a clap of her hands, she began, "Happy birthday to you ~"

"Happy birthday to you ~" Jered followed with a smile.

"Happy birthday dear Jasmine ~"

"Happy birthday to you ~"

Jane was quick to remind, "Don't forget the wish!"

"Umh," Jasmine stared at the dancing flames. A wish, huh? Would a common one be okay? No, that was not what she wanted. What she truly wanted was something unattainable. Something that should never be wished. However, she didn't want to lie to herself, to her heart. She had jerked off on that fantasy way too many times, knowing it would never come true. And it was fine. She had, more or less, come to terms with it. Besides, fantasies were beautiful because, in the end, they were just that, fantasies.

Therefore, with a big smile on her face, she glanced at Jered, and blew the candles. 

https://discord.gg/mkaJpcaQQ2

https://www.patreon.com/nneeil (5 advanced chappies here)

72