23. Hel
161 4 10
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Sasha took a moment as she inspected Evan. “You’ve managed to make quite an impression during the dungeon break. There are many that wish to talk to you. Recruit you. They will wish to use your power for their own interests. Control you. My first question for you is, admittedly, self-serving. Would you be interested in joining Midnight?”

Evan considered the guild leader’s words carefully. “How do I know that you aren’t one of these people you are trying to warn me about? How do I know you aren’t looking to, as you said, use me?”

The old lady grinned and shrugged. “I suppose you don’t. You would just have to trust me.”

Fenrir’s voice filled the room. “And what happens if we refuse your offer, little leader?” The core’s voice was questioning, but there was an undercurrent of sarcasm and an implied threat.

Sasha’s eyes darted around the room, but her reaction wasn’t one of total surprise. “Ahh, Fenrir I presume? My granddaughter also told me about you. To answer your question, nothing will happen. You are free to come and go as you please. While it’s true that having you join would increase our position within Citadel, there is little I can offer you and less I can do to force you I imagine.”

“Who is your granddaughter?” Evan asked out of curiosity.

“Astrid of course my dear boy,” she replied matter-of-factly. “Now, what do you say?”

Evan smiled at the leader’s directness. “I appreciate the offer, but I will have to decline. Fenrir and I don’t intend to join any Guild.”

The older lady sighed and nodded her head. “I figured as much, but I had to try.” She got up from the chair and began walking towards the door. Her hand had just turned the doorknob when Evan’s voice reached her ears.

“Before you leave, I have a question for you,” he said.

Sasha lifted her hand from the knob and turned around to look at him. “I suppose that’s fair. What is it?”

The summoner lifted his eyes to the ceiling as he spoke. “I am looking for a healer.”

The guild leader raised her eyebrows. “A healer? Are you in pain? Should I get Astrid?”

He waved her concern away. “Whatever injury I have, it is beyond her ability. It is beyond even my own. No, I need someone with more experience or more power. Preferably both.”

Sasha scratched her head as she thought to herself. “Hmm, healers are pretty rare. I’m pretty sure that Astrid is the only healer in Citadel. You probably won’t be able to find the type of healing that you’re looking for anywhere outside of Haven is my guess.”

Evan stashed the information away for later. “Haven?”

“Yea. Used to be a pretty important place of power for the government. It became a refuge for a lot of people when the first portals broke. It’s the home to some of the strongest guilds and humans on the planet now. If there’s anyone that can help you, they would probably be there,” she shrugged before continuing. “Hell of a walk though. Not to mention that most of the stories I’ve heard about Haven aren’t exactly good.”

Evan grunted as he stood up from the bed and walked over to the old guild leader. He grinned as he took her hand and shook it. “Thank you.”

Sasha laughed as he let go of her hand. “There are others who will want to speak with you. I suggest you be careful. Many of them don’t take rejection as well as I do.” She winked at him as she walked out the door.

The summoner limped back to the bed. A silky voice filled his head as he sat down and adjusted the covers. “Do you think it was wise to reveal your weakness to that human, my King?” Cho’Ga purred.

The little spider has a point. You are being too trusting of these humans. It is unlike you. Unlike us. We have managed to survive this long because we have only ever trusted each other,” the ancient core whispered.

Evan closed his eyes. “You are right. We have only ever managed to survive. I am tired of simply surviving. Perhaps with the help of the humans, we will be able to do more. To destroy The Labyrinth. But you are both right. I will be more careful.”

* * *

Baal stood in front of the massive black core as it floated gently above its pedestal. He placed a hand on the core. A strangled, maddened voice filled his head. “A visitor? A visitor!” the voice cackled.

The elf heard the echo of the tortured voice in his mind. He tried to cover his ears with his hands, but it did nothing to deafen the voice in his head. “Hel, The Labyrinth has need of you. You are being given a new dungeon.”

The voice paused for a moment. “A new dungeon? A new dungeon! Yes, yes, yes! Kill? I can kill?” it asked hopefully.

Blood poured from the elf’s ears. His vision began to blur. “Yes, you will be able to kill again. Anything and everything you want.”

The core screamed in glee. “Yes, yes! Kill, kil—”. The core stopped. Its madness seemed to recede, and the overwhelming pressure that had forced Baal to his knees disappeared as the core roared in fury.

RELEASE ME ELF! IF FENRIR DOESN’T KILL YOU, I WILL—”. The core’s pitch-black body dimmed to a dull grey. There was a screeching sound as a lone hooded figure ran a finger down the side of the massive core. The hooded figure’s nail carved deep gouges into the side of the core, adding to the numerous scratches that littered the core’s surface.

A raspy voice filled the air. “You will listen and you will obey.”

The figure snapped his fingers and the dulled core slowly began to regain its obsidian color. It screamed for a moment as the pain twisted its mind. “Yes, yes, I will listen! Kill! Kill!” it screamed.

10