Chapter 1: I’m Just a Spider Girl
854 16 33
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Hi, hello, I am Minerva the Arachne or Drider depending on who you ask. Honestly, I've never understood the difference, if there even is one. Oh, I'm getting side-tracked already. Yes, I am Minerva the Spider. That's all there is to me honestly, and I'm not some super deep, fleshed-out character with a tragic backstory. I'm just a spider girl looking for good humans and good books to consume.

Like this skinny person I found in the dungeon, they were pretty short and defenceless, and had only a knife on them. Quite a bit smaller than the majority human's I've seen down here as well. He didn't have any good clothes on him either, the clothes I pilfered off a past victim are starting to fall apart no matter how much silk I use to stick them back together. It's hard to find clothes in a dungeon.

Anyway, back to the male? I believe he was a male, but I'm not too sure. The human male didn't put up much of a fight and went down after a single venom dosage. I guess his meek body couldn't handle it. I do wonder why he was in here. Well, to be honest, he got far.

I think I'm on the 30th floor of the dungeon, but I don't know. This dungeon is a colossal place, so I'm content with my small existence as a spider. Huh, strange, how did that meek human get so far in here? Was he even alone? I was too hungry and distracted to check anywhere else. Was he bait or something? Did he get sent here to die?

Damn, that's cold to whoever did that. But it's not my business because I'm only here to eat food and do my job: to protect the dungeon and its riches. Or that's what the dungeon master says. I'm only concerned with eating part though.

"Good morning my beloved subject," a blue orb floated down from the ceiling and floated in front of me.

The dungeon master, well, at least what I see of him. The worst part about this place is this thing.

I was currently in my web-covered lair. And by that, I mean a passageway off the side of a small tunnel, which is coming off the side of another. I only leave to find food, like this human I have wrapped up, well what's left of his shrivelled form. My point is, how does this guy somehow find my home all the time? Does he not have better things to do?

"Go away, why are you here? This is my home," I hiss back, not even attempting to hide my hatred for this annoying little orb. I've never seen them before, all I know is he's below me and he is the one who made the dungeon.

"Awww c'mon, you know you love me."

"No, I don't," I reply crudely. "If I ever see you, I'd give you a nice kiss filled with venom."

"You're as harsh as always, and I love it," the dungeon master replies in an annoying voice. "It's why you're my fifth-favourite subject."

The nerve on this guy.

"Why have you disturbed me?" I groan, I just wanted to get this interaction over and done with. "There has to be some reason so spit it out and be on your way."

"So um, that human you have there was just a distraction. The rest of the group were waiting around the corner. As soon as you took the boy, they proceeded down the dungeon. Now, I'd prefer to not die, so could you go kill them for me?" The Dungeon Master requests through the orb.

"No," I flatly state, going over to my bookshelf and browsing through the books I've found on humans long deceased.

"No?!" The Dungeon Master yells.

I turn back to him and the orb seemingly flinches as my red eyes look upon it, "Yes, I said no."

"Why?"

"Aren't I on floor 30? And you're at the bottom at floor 80-something? Why does it concern you? There are thousands of monsters between you and them. Your more powerful monsters and beasts can efficiently dispose of them. I am but a mere Arachne."

"True, but you see, my job as a Dungeon Master is a delicate one. My fellow Dungeon Masters see me as a joke, they always boast about how large and deadly their dungeons and creatures are. I need to look better, so you being my fifth-favourite need to aid me. It is your duty as my summoned creature!"

"I care not for the politics you're involved in with your peers. I am just trying to live a quiet life reading and eating. And, I am attempting to do so now, which you're interrupting."

There's no way I'm going out there; the Dungeon Master has many superior monsters at his disposal at the lower floors. I'd know because I used to be on floor 68 before I migrated up here a couple of decades ago. God, it was hell down there.

Cave Dragons, Drakes, Serpents, Minotaurs, Ogres, Demons and all sorts running rampant and killing everything. Each gaining massive amounts of power and strength through constant consumption of everything they encounter. It's also where my mother is, the Spider Queen and my hundreds of siblings who are obsessed with cannibalising each other and eating everything they see. Kinda like everything else at the lower levels.

Much too noisy and violent for me. I travelled up here where there are weaker monsters I can pick on and even adventurers who I can eat. I am in no danger, well, less danger as parties that get this deep usually know what they're doing. I would go further, but I decided to settle down in this quiet place.

"They have books."

I immediately turn my head as soon as I hear that. Books are about the only entertainment I get other than the infrequent Kolbold-Goblin gang wars, but those are too inconsistent. It was fun to watch the skirmishes and bet with myself as to which side will win. Sometimes it was the Goblins and sometimes it was the Kobolds. Books are my favourite though. It took years, but I managed to learn human words and even speak them to an extent

"What sort of books? Big books? Small books? Tomes? Grimoires? Tell me more, and I might consider fighting them," I move towards the orb, a finger on my lips as I was starting to contemplate going.

"Ahhhh, there was a magic-user, he had a tome in his hands and another book in a satchel. He's in a group of ten, but only eight are fighters. They've been using other people as bait to get this far; however, the group are pretty disorganised. If you take them by surprise, you should be able to vanquish them."

A tome, not super useful to me but not useless. Once, I had a Lich come to me, and he traded me a couple of history books for spell books and tomes. If he ever stops by again, I could negotiate a deal with him again.

Yes, I know, dungeon creatures have an economy of some sorts. It's not just the smart creatures either, Goblins and Kobolds use items and loot to trade with some other residents. Dragons very rarely make deals with each other because their self-centered, egotistical jackasses. I recall mother tried to pay a tribe of Minotaurs to raid the Ant Queen's and Scorpion King's territory. Oh, and there is a Dark Fairy merchant I encountered once.

"Keep going, how equipped are they?"

"Decently, though it shouldn't be too much of a problem. None of the weapons are enchanted. Miniva, can you do this for me?"

I grit my teeth slightly, he said my name wrong, "Minerva."

"Sorry! I'm getting panicked because they're moving quicker than I anticipated," the Dungeon Master's voice seems to have genuine worry in it, which was confusing considering his distance from the action.

"Fine," I growl.

I mean, I could do with another book and another meal. This human is inadequate to satiate my hunger. I could also stock up on prey additionally on the off-chance another party doesn't get down here for a while. Goblins and Kobolds don't taste too good, humans are much plumper and tasty, so I prefer them.

"See, this is why you're my fifth favourite! Go get 'em, Minerva."

"Shut up and leave before I reconsider," I snap back.

"Okay!" The Dungeon Master cheerfully says. "Until we meet again."

"I hope we don't," I grumble as the orb disappears into blue sparkles.

This idea randomly came to me and I suddenly felt a massive urge to write a chapter, and I enjoyed writing this chapter so much I may continue this. I haven't tried this style of writing before, but I don't think I did too badly for my first time. I mainly chose it because it suits the type of character Minerva is and it would be a lot easier for me to convey her character through this writing style.

Also, I feel sorry for the people used as bait when I was writing. These scummy humans are about to face justice. 

Hope you enjoy Minerva and her neutral evil adventures. 

33