Take Off
221 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Lucy Lee was a bit of a control freak when it came to work and so it was very hard for Lucy to just let go. Her eyes were reading emails, her mouth and ears attached to her work cell phone, and her hands were busy folding clothes.

"Nia," Lucy said into the receiver as she folded her shirt into a neat triangle. "I'll be back in three weeks."

Enjoy your vacation. Please don't answer any emails on your time off. As CEO, I'm serious.

"I hope so," Lucy continued as she grabbed another pair of underwear and stuffed it into her suitcase. "Don't forget to grill Steve to schedule the meeting with the Landmark P.M."

Lucy, we are not having this conversation any longer. Enjoy your life. Bye.

"Bye," she hung up the call, letting out a big sigh. Her chest felt so very heavy while butterflies occupied her stomach. At the very back of her mind, there was an irrational fear plaguing her consciousness, but Lucy didn't want to, or refused to, dwell on what could be making her heart so heavy.

Work.

Lucy always had a hard time letting go things that mattered to her the most.

Out the corner of her eyes, she then looked at her half-full suitcase, and decided that this was good progress. 

The day before leaving

"Ma," Lucy said, holding three plastic cards. One was silver, gold, and black. "I've paid utilities, phone bills, mortgage, and trash and water. If you need to buy something expensive, go ahead and use the black one. The silver one is groceries okay? And the gold one you can use on anything."

"Okay," Mrs. Lee nodded. "Be safe."

"Of course."

"Come home soon."

"I'll be back before you even remember I was gone."

"Is Ryan coming to pick you up?"

"No," Lucy said. "We will be taking an Uber to the airport."

"I love you."

Lucy smiled, "I love you."

"Have you seen my backpack?" The woman said, going on her tippy-toes as she opened the closet door. 

The day of

"Check your bags in," Mrs. Lee said, pulling Lucy's small carry on luggage to the baggage counter. "Easier. Trust me. I know."

"Ma," Lucy explained. "I don't want to pay for a second checked bag. We're poor remember."

"I pay, I pay," pestered the plump woman. 

"No," Lucy said firmly, taking the handle of her small carry on from her mother. She then looped her arm around her mother and they walked towards security. "Free stuff is the best stuff, ma."

On the other side of Lucy was Ryan, and he just smiled a bit mysteriously. She wasn't too sure what was on his mind. When they reached the beginning of the security line, Lucy and her mother stood off to the side. Maybe it was allergies, the pollen in the recycled air, but Lucy found her eyes were itching and watering strangely.

It seemed the air had the same effect on her beloved mother. Heavy tears rolled down hers and then two droplets rolled down Lucy's as if it was following her mother's lead. She looped her arms around her mother and hiccuped, shushing and comforting her mother at the same time. "You know how to get home right?" asked Lucy. Maybe it was better to not go, thought Lucy. The ticket was refundable. 

"You come home soon," her mother said instead, wiping her eyes with the bottom of her palm. And then she saw how Lucy's tears wouldn't stop despite her mother's rough thumbs wiping them away. "My baby."

Lucy sniffled, and laughed. "I love you," she said.

"I love you."

Lucy took one step, and then two - the rolling wheels were so loud in her ears - before looking back at her mother. She waved her arm wildly, and then said, "You go first."

"Okay," Mrs. Lee said. "I'll be waiting."

Ten minutes before boarding

"Are you okay?" 

"Yeah," she sniffled, looking at her phone. "My mom made it back home."

"That's good."

"Yeah."

"I'll take care of you."

First-Class Seat​​​​​​​

Sitting in First-Class was a strange experience for Lucy and she couldn't relax, but Ryan looked so at home on board. Her seat was so comfortable, and it became a mattress foam bed. The food was good. Entertainment was good. 

Lucy didn't want to get used to this.

Seeing his friend fidgeting, Ryan couldn't help, but ask what was wrong. Was she getting sick?

"Oh, I'm not sick," Lucy admitted as the flight attendant turned her seat into a mattress. She then whispered into Ryan's ear. "How much was this?"

"Don't worry about it," he said, laying on his side, watching Lucy. "It's a gift."

"If you don't tell me, I'm just going to use the Wi-Fi to research."

He then crept closer to her and whispered something into her ears. Her eyes went wide, and her mouth was slack.

Twenty. Thousand. She mouthed as she laid down on the mattress, staring into Ryan's eyes.

1