Chapter 56 – END
240 7 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

A sunny day in March. I could hear trees rustling, birds chirping, and most importantly, a whole lot of either cheerful or dejected voices.

Yet, none of that mattered to me. I had only one goal in my mind. The board was already in my sight, but it didn’t mean that I could just take a glance at it and return home. There were a lot of people standing in front of it, so I couldn’t see what was written there unless I approached it closely.

Nothing like a queue existed there. You had to push at them and slowly move forward, until you became able to see where your number should have been. Everyone was doing that, so there was nothing wrong with it.

Nonetheless, I couldn’t use my mind to its fullest capability. Most people there couldn’t, as they were interested in only one thing.

I was standing before the high school of my choice, where the results had been announced just a few moments ago. Of course, I wanted to know if I managed to get in as soon as possible, but I had to deal with the crowd first.

“…” “…” “…” lots of voices and loud cheers surrounded me. That way, I wouldn’t know if someone called me out directly—but why would someone do that in the first place?

I looked at the small piece of paper I held in my hands. My entrance number was written on it. I had to compare it with the notice board’s contents—if my number was hanging there, then I got in. If not, then I lost.

I think… I’d done well enough on the exam. Probably not as good as that girl did, but she surely went to some prestigious academy or other good place. She wasn’t that human-loathing oddball anymore, so she surely would put her abilities to use already.

This one was pretty average, so I would be surprised if I didn’t get in. No matter how you looked at it, I wasn’t worse than average… at least if it came to grades.

Having plowed through the crowd for a while, I finally found myself right before the board. In other words, I was able to see the numbers hanging on it, or at least a part of them.

Nervously, I took a glance at the piece of paper. Then, I directed my gaze at the board where I looked for a number close to mine. I didn’t see anything in the section that was just before me, so I had to excuse myself through other people again and in a while, became able to see the section which interested me.

The numbers were placed in order, so you could easily spot if you number was missing. I hope mine wouldn’t, though.

“…”

I scanned the board with my eyes thoroughly. The numbers were dangerously close to mine.

“…” at some point, I became able to hear my own heartbeat over all those noises. This stress wasn’t really necessary, but I couldn’t get rid of it.

The number I laid my eyes on was only 10 smaller than mine. The next one was 8 smaller.

5 smaller.

3 smaller.

2 smaller.

0 smaller.

“…”

I looked at the piece of paper, and then at the board again. There was no mistaking it. The numbers matched.

I… got in.

“…” I wasn’t that happy, or rather, confident to start yelling like some people did. A smile might have appeared on my face, but it was all. Either way, I was glad, because I already knew it was the high school I was going to spend the next three years in. Perhaps I would meet some new friends there, but of course no one could replace Himawari for me. Thanks to meeting her, I gained more hope in myself, so I felt that talking to my new classmates wouldn’t be all that impossible anymore.

I didn’t have any big plan to create a new image like some people did. I just wanted to open that mouth and not be seen like an utter loser anymore.

As for that girl, maybe she would end up in one school with my sister. It was an exceptionally good one, after all. I had to ask Himawari once I got home… no, I actually could do it as soon as I left that crowd.

Now then, I had been occupying this place for a while just enjoying that moment of satisfaction, but it was time to leave now. There were people coming and coming to see their results, after all.

As such, I slowly turned around and saw that retreating wasn’t going to be any easier than entering, but something caught my eyes.

Namely, I thought I saw something strangely familiar amongst the crowd… but no, it was impossible.

No. The silhouette I saw amongst the crowd was too clear for my mind to be playing tricks on me. That blonde hair… there was no mistaking it.

It was Himawari. But… what was she doing here? Did she somehow follow me here? I hadn’t told her that I chose this school… or not. I had told her about it some time ago. Was it supposed to be a surprise? Honestly, I was surprised.

Even though she had given up on her act, such crowds still weren’t an easy thing to overcome for her. For that reason, I had to help her.

“Himawari!” I waved in her direction. Despite the numerous loud cheers, she heard me, and our eyes met. I was too preoccupied for it to embarrass me.

Somehow, I left the crowd and approached her. She was wearing our school uniform, but she had no eyepatch on her left eye. It was my first (and last) time seeing her in this set, wasn’t it?

“What are you doing here?” I asked her. How did she know I would be here? There were too many questions I wanted to ask.

“Err… T-Takao…” she uneasily fidgeted and avoided my gaze.

“Yes? Ah, I got in.”

“I-I see… that’s great, but…” her shoes scuffed against the surface. There was something she wanted to tell me.

“Yes?”

“I… I…” she struggled with talking clearly. Just what was it that she wanted to tell me? I had not the vaguest idea. “I… want to see that board.”

Huh… that left me wondering. Why would she want to see that board? I told her that I got in, and there was nothing but my number hanging there.

Unless…

Wait. No.

There was only one thing it could mean.

But…

Why would she even?

She didn’t look me in the eyes. I hadn’t seen her so uneasy for quite a while. If it really was what I was thinking of, then it would match.

“Himawari… you… enrolled here?”

“…” I saw a slight vertical movement of her head. It was affirmative.

No way… but…

No time to think. Abruptly, I grabbed her hand and pulled her along with me inside the crowd. I didn’t bother to excuse myself or anything as I was leading that girl.

Come to think, she had been hiding something in her hand. It was her piece of paper, wasn’t it?

“Do you see your number anywhere here?”

It wasn’t that important. If she really did choose this school, then she surely got in. She was sort of a genius, after all.

“Y-yes…” she replied to me uneasily.

If anyone had any doubts, there was no mistaking it anymore. She showed me her piece of paper and pointed at the same number hanging on the board. They matched. She enrolled in this mediocre school…

No.

She enrolled in the same school as me.

I was going to attend the same high school as her for the next three years.

Nothing was going to change.

I was going to hang out together with her on breaks. I was going to be going home together with her, riding on the same train. Perhaps we would even end up in the same class… but it wasn’t that important, since we were in different classes in middle school and it had worked out somehow.

No. I couldn’t believe it.

How?

What were the chances?

“R-really?” I looked at her, but I still couldn’t believe it.

“…”

I was… so glad that I wanted to cry. No, I already felt a tear flowing down my cheek.

“…”

In the spur of a moment, I embraced her. Just in front of the board, where a lot of people were looking, I gave her a hug. For some reason, I was able to forget about embarrassment. I just felt her warmth on my body… and enjoyed it.

“T-Takao…?” her frail voice called out to me, surprised.

“…” I just enjoyed the moment before reality kicked in.

No. I had just done something terrible. What if someone from my future class was here and would recognize me later? Oh no… I could have already destroyed my future high school life!

Or maybe I was just overthinking it as always. In any case, I had Himawari with me. I would never be alone again. Of course, it didn’t mean that I was going to stay silent like always. No matter if she ended up in the same class as me or not, I was going to make new friends. I hoped that she would do the same.

I would never forget about her. They would be my friends, but she was my girlfriend.

After a moment, I let go of her. Some people hadn’t even paid attention to it as they were too nervous or preoccupied with cheering.

Without saying a word, I led her out of the crowd. As expected, some eyes followed after us… I just hoped they would forget about it before the school year began.

“Himawari… thank you for everything”, I didn’t even ask how come she enrolled to the same school as me. Maybe it was just a coincidence, maybe not.

“Y-yeah. I’m thankful to you as well, Takao. Fufu. I love you.”

Huh? That was so unexpected, my heart skipped a beat. No… I was suddenly embraced by her. Before I knew it, her face was close to mine. Too close. It was weird. I couldn’t do anything with it, so I just let her do anything she wanted…

At that moment, I felt that thing for the first time in my life. I could have said that I would have never expected it to happen, but it was only a matter of time since we were a couple. But… she certainly picked a great moment for it.

I was so confused that it barely registered in my mind. All I knew was that her lips touched mine… and it was an otherworldly feeling. Just as if she really was an alien.

It wasn’t just an illusion. At that moment, we really kissed. For the first time ever.

Finally, she let go of me and showed me her face, brimming with glee.

“It was my first”, she announced in a strangely happy voice.

“Mine… too…” I scratched my neck.

Beautiful cherry blossoms filled the streets. The sky was clearly blue, and the air was chilly and pleasant. Some voices coming from behind were happy, some dejected, but only one thing mattered to me.

I was so glad that I met her.

The End.

 

Afterword. It’s long this time so feel free to skip it if you want.

Uhh… hello, this is me, the author, and that was the last chapter of “Lumiya is a Weirdo, So What?”. If you’re here, then I guess you have read those 56 chapters and enjoyed them enough not to drop this series. Seeing it really makes me glad, because I realize that somehow my writing is not all that boring. I think that some of you may like this more than me… no, you surely do.

I first came up with this story in September of 2020. I was in a kinda difficult period of my life back then, which made me lay down on the bed and think of various imaginary anime ideas. I’m not gonna delve into it any further, but it was just one of those ideas.

The very first idea was that Lumiya (more on that later) was going to be popular, but have an eyepatch on her left eye for no reason whatsoever. Takao would come across her and learn more about it, etc. She wasn’t even going to be a human-loathing chuuni in that scenario. I made her hate humans… probably because I do it myself. No, it wasn’t a self-insert. If anything, I would be quite similar to Lumiya if I became an anime girl (which is impossible).

About her name. I’m very sorry if it was confusing for you, but her real first name was Himawari all along. Lumiya was only her chuuni name she came up with on her own, and somehow managed to convince Takao it was real for quite a while. Why is there Lumiya in the title? Actually, I assumed it was her real name until about chapter 14. Really. Such lack of planning. I mean, I left it as a possibility, that’s why the name Lumiya wasn’t mentioned by anyone else than she herself, but it wasn’t until ch14 that I made up my mind.

Why Himawari? There was a reason, but I don’t remember it anymore. Haha.

Anyway, this series was ongoing for about half a year. That’s… something, at the very least. I’ve been writing almost every day for half a year and that’s quite the achievement for me. If there’s someone here who’s been here from the beginning… that’s great. I hope I made your Mondays and Fridays at least slightly better.

If you’re going to miss this novel (really?), then I prepared a list of manga recommendations for you. I read most of them after I’ve started writing this, so I wasn’t really taking inspiration from them, I just noticed some similarities. Unfortunately, none of them have chuunibyou.

Hajimete no Suwa-san – awkward protagonist, but actually well-written. Very cute.

Senaka Gurashi – again, awkward protagonist, but even better written. It’s short and completed, so you can binge it or something.

Jijou wo Shiranai Tenkousei ga Guigui Kuru. – this one is probably the closest to chuunibyou as you can get. The protagonist is not awkward in here, but the girl is. Trust me, it’s just sooo cute. Elementary school romance, by the way.

Well then, one more word before I go. I’m most likely going to start a new series soon (in a few months or so), but it won’t be very similar to this. Anyway, if you’re interested, feel free to follow me.

Again, huge thanks for reading this novel. I hope I’ll see you again soon. Farewell.

 

4