Chapter 14 – Off to the city
34 0 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Two days had passed since the brawl at school and now, Yeung and company planned to head for the road. Their destination? The city that was about ten kilometers from their town.

After packing his bag, Yeung touched the left side of his forehead, “It doesn't seem to hurt.” He whispered, as he rubbed the scar that had resulted from the goblin champion landing a solid blow on his head with the bone sword that had now changed to his hands.

He felt ready to embark on another journey but unlike his recent two-day hike, he was now with companions. He also had to take into account their well-being.

“Hey, kid... Chris, are you sure you feel fine? We can stay another day if you still need some rest.”

“I feel great, big bro! You don't need to worry about me!”

“Y-You can r-ride on my back whenever y-you feel weak, alright?”

“A-alright, thanks mister!”

“Kuh...!? M-Mister—?”

“Huhuhu.” Yeung smirked at Dokk's disappointment for being called “mister”, maybe it had something to do with his tall figure, unkempt hair, and deep voice, “Mister, you might hurt your back if you carry him... I can carry him instead— ah!”

Dokk shot him a glare and threw him his bag, “The d-donkey shouldn't t-talk. He only c-carries the luggage.”

Yeung scoffed and turned his head towards Anna, “How about you, Anna? You feeling fit enough for the trip? If you want, I can also give you a ride on my bac— Heuk!?”

“Ah! I'm sorry, I unconsciously—“ With a slightly flushed face, Anna also threw her pack at Yeung.

“ha ha. It's alright, I had it coming.” Yeung smiled wryly and returned it, Dokk's on the other hand was thrown far away.

“I-I'll kill y-you!!!” Dokk yelled, as he quickly chased after his bag.

Yeung 's laughter died down and he looked over at the siblings. He and Dokk spoke with them about staying at the house for a few days to recuperate. Anna and her little brother were stranded inside the school with barely enough food and water. How they managed to procure the scant amount that they consumed for the past two days astounded Yeung.

“The world has completely settled into a fantasy setting...” Yeung commented.

The appearance of the goblins at the school was so sudden, like they'd come out of nowhere. At the time, Anna was on her way to pick up her brother but was suddenly attacked by a goblin. She managed to deal with it and rushed towards the school where she saw all hell breaking lose. In the midst of the chaos, it was fortunate that she'd spotted her brother inside of the building. By the time she got to him, however, the courtyard had become overrun with goblins, making it impossible to escape the school the same way she came.

“These two kids must've been model students if they hadn't known about that hole in the wall behind the tree,” Yeung muttered.

They managed to hide themselves inside of the men's bathroom after another attack. When asked how they managed to elude the goblin's attention for two days, Anna explained— after taking care of a few goblins, she heard the ring of a bell inside of her head and a screen of text appeared saying she learned a skill. At first she was startled, but after unintentionally making use of the skill. She continued to use it to hide herself and her brother from goblin patrols. Unfortunately, she couldn't use it to run away for fear of the goblins discovering her brother.

...After hearing her story, Yeung finally made sense of something, “So that time with the goblin champion... the uniform and pink underwear it was holding were yours— Heuk!?”

“Ah! I'm sorry, I unconsciously—“ Anna said, after her hand moved reflexively and made its way to Yeung's face.

“ha ha. That's alright... It's good that both of you were safe.” Yeung replied while rubbing the red handprint on his cheek.

As for any other survivors, Yeung and Dokk scoured the school grounds the next day but didn't find anyone else. “They must've either fled or...” Yeung didn't continue to say.

...After leaving Dokk's house, they continued along the main road while keeping a watchful eye out for any danger.

“...Big bro, why are you so strong?” Christopher, who was merrily skipping beside Yeung, asked him a question.

“Huhuhu. I was bit by a spider when I was young.”

“Wow! What kind of spider was it?”
Yeung joked but was taken aback by a serious Chris' serious reply. Did he not know about that one comic book hero? Impossible, there was no way a child his age wouldn't know about superheroes.

“Hey, Chris... Do you not watch superhero movies?”

“No...” Christopher suddenly stopped walking after Yeung asked him, his face was visibly downtrodden.

“Heuk...!” Yeung cried as he saw Christopher's expression and muttered, “Did I step on something?” A landmine? He looked over at Anna for help. She replied with what looked like a sad smile and shook her head. Behind her, Yeung saw Dokk crossing his thumb across his neck, “Kuh—! This bastard.. You alright, Chris?”

“We-We never went to the movies...” Christopher started sniffling, “Now... we might never get the chance to go...”

“Whoo...” Yeung exhaled, Yep... stepped on a rather big one.

“Don't you worry kiddo! Once we make it to the city, I'll take you to see the movies.”

Christopher's eyes brightened, “—Really!?”
“Really!!!”

“Will there be popcorn? A-And soda?”

“Uhhh— Y-Yeah! As much as you want! Enough popcorn to make your jaws hurt from chewing!”

Yeung grinned widely while making promises to soothe the boy— more reasons to make it to the city safely, he thought. Dokk and Anna who were watching, felt their hearts grow warmer at the sight. The sight of a smiling Christopher also gave them reason to want to fulfill Yeung's promises.

Announcement
I'm posting the following as first drafts. Been really busy the past week and haven't really had much time to write. Huuuu.
3